M-1 bought by Sibling Entertainment Group, Monte Cox is CEO
Sibling Entertainment Group Holdings, Inc. (OTC Bulletin Board: SIBE) ["Sibling Holdings"] announced Sibling Theatricals, Inc. ["Sibling Theatricals"], a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sibling Entertainment Group, Inc., together with Garlin Holdings Limited as Managing Members, have formed Sibling Sports, LLC (a Delaware limited liability company) for the purpose of creating M-1 Global, LLC (a New York limited liability company), a new mixed martial arts organization.
In addition, Monte Cox, a 13-year veteran of the mixed martial arts industry, was named President and CEO of M-1 Global.
Monday Morning Reverie: ‘Spider' Venom
Rich Franklin must be wondering what in the world he has to do to beat the Brazilian bomber known as Anderson Silva.
Franklin was knocked out Saturday a second time at the hands (and feet and knees and elbows) of "The Spider." The Cincinnati native was able to keep his opponent at bay early, but it seemed that the defending UFC middleweight champion had suddenly figured out the American.
Strikeforce 185-Pound Tourney Field Set
Strikeforce announced Sunday the field for its Nov. 16 four-man middleweight tournament at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., tabbing Trevor Prangley Yuki Sasaki Jorge Santiagoand Falaniko Vitale for the first one-night tourney sanctioned by the California State Athletic Commission.
Misaki signs with Strike Force
PRIDE's 2006 Welterweight Grand Prix champion, Kazuo Misaki has signed with the American-based Strikeforce organization. Surrounding his signing with the company was speculation that he may enter the upcoming four-man tournament, or face Cung Le, at the November 16 event in San Jose, California.
Instead Misaki will not be fighting on the November 16 card, instead focusing on his teammate, Yuki Sasaki, in the tournament.
Misaki is expected to debut with Strikeforce in early 2008.
Misaki's last fight was a decision loss to Frank Trigg at PRIDE 33. Prior to the loss he defeated Denis Kang in the finals of PRIDE's 183-pound tournament. Misaki holds wins over PRIDE's 183-pound and 205-pound champion Dan Henderson, The Ultimate Fighter 3 finalist Ed Herman, UFC and PRIDE veteran Phil Baroni, and Jorge "Macaco" Patino.
Randy Couture’s manager responds to claims about Randy making millions
In a new report from Adam Swift at Sherdog, Randy Couture’s manager, Matt Walker, refutes claims from the Yahoo Sports report earlier in the week that Randy was making 3.25-3.75 million per fight:
“When I first read the story on Yahoo! I actually laughed because they are so far from fact,” said Walker.
“If he were getting $3.25-$3.75 million a fight then Randy’s compensation would not be an issue,” said the agent, who was lambasted by White as a Hollywood parasite after Couture announced his resignation on Oct. 11. “However, I can tell you those salary numbers for Randy are severely inflated and I would love to know where they got the information.”
Former Champ Sylvia Back in Title Picture
CINCINNATI – Tim Sylvia had six inches and nearly 40 pounds on Brandon Vera. It was clear to someone watching their first fight that Syliva needed to let his hands go in order to win.
And, naturally, for much of the fight, Sylvia kept his hands idle.
But when he did let them fly, he proved why he's such a difficult man to beat.
A new twist in the M-1 purchase rumors
An update on all the rumors surrounding the buyers of the promotion including some of the sources of past rumors that are now defunct, and a new source regarding the possibility of AEG Worldwide purchasing M-1, AEG owns the LA Kings, Los Angeles Galaxy, and a ton of other teams as well as many venues throughout the U.S. including the Staples Center.
CSAC Cancels Cow Palace Card
In the wake of Saturday's cancellation of the "Brawl 4 It All" card in San Francisco, Calif., fighters and their representatives were left scrambling to recoup some of the money that was guaranteed to them in contracts.
Brock Lesnar signs with UFC
THIS IS RIGHT FROM THE PAGES OF ufc.com:
Cincinnati, Ohio (USA) – International superstar Brock Lesnar has already achieved high grades for his transition from pro wrestling to mixed martial arts. Now the former NCAA Champion and four-time All-American is ready for the next step in his career - taking on the best heavyweights in the world in the Ultimate Fighting Championship® (UFC®) organization.
UFC President Dana White announced the signing of Lesnar to a promotional contract during the pay-per-view broadcast of UFC 77 at the US Bank Arena.
“I don’t think there are any other pro wrestlers that can make the transition to MMA, except for Brock Lesnar,” said White. “And if you look at his amateur wrestling credentials, his size, and what he’s done, this guy can end up being a force in the heavyweight division of the UFC.”
“If you want to go with the NFL of the fighting game, it’s the UFC, and it was an easy choice for me,” said Lesnar. “Obviously I don’t think I’m ready for a title shot right away, but I will be there, and I’m not gonna turn down any opponent because I’m here to prove myself. I’m not here to pick and choose my fights. I’ll fight whomever they want. I don’t make the fights; that’s not my job. I’ve got one job to do and that’s to fight.”
The date and opponent for Lesnar’s UFC debut will be revealed in the near future.
A native of Webster, South Dakota who now makes his home in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota, the 6 foot 3 ½ , 265 pound Lesnar first made a name for himself as a wrestler at Webster High School, compiling a 33-0 record in his senior year. This success eventually led him to Bismarck State College and the University of Minnesota, where he was a four-time All American, two-time Big Ten Champion, a second place finisher in the 1999 NCAA Championships, and the 2000 NCAA National Champion.
After finishing his college career with an astounding 106-5 record, Lesnar became a household name as a professional wrestler, and even had a short stint in the NFL® with the Minnesota Vikings.
In 2007 though, Lesnar was in need of a new challenge in his life, and he turned to mixed martial arts, where world-class wrestlers like himself have had enormous success throughout the sport’s history. On June 2, 2007, Lesnar made his long-awaited MMA debut and took only 69 seconds to destroy Min Soo Kim with strikes that led to a submission.
Lesnar’s signing to the UFC bolsters a talent-rich heavyweight division that includes former PRIDE heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo ‘Minotauro’ Nogueira, Cheick Kongo, former two-time UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia, Brandon Vera, Gabriel Gonzaga, Mirko Cro Cop, Fabricio Werdum and Heath Herring.
[i]What I think:
I think that there is no way that Brock Lesnar should be in the UFC. I know he dominated Min Soo Kim, but that was his FIRST pro fight. I think this was an example of Dana White signing someone on drawing ability, and I'm not sure that I like that. Actually, I am sure. I don't like that.[/i]
Kevin Iole from Yahoo Expands on Randy's Millions
Kevin talks Brock Lesnar, Anderson Silva vs Rich Franklin, Yahoo's MMA success, and really gets into the Randy situation, his agent, how Randy and his agent poorly handled the situation (via fax and out of town) and the possible future gameplan. He brings up the BJ Penn situation and how that is similar to this. Audio is definitely worth it.
Emelianenko and Salmon Win at “HCF: Title Wave”
The 26-year-old Emelianenko, the younger brother of top-ranked PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko, scored a quick submission victory over MMA veteran Dan Bobish in the night’s main event. The Russian fighter locked in a guillotine choke that forced a tapout at 1:09 of the first round.
In other action, Salmon, a two-time UFC fighter, scored a second-round TKO victory over Brazilian Marcus Vinicios. Salmon, a 30-year-old former Ohio State wrestler, forced a referee’s stoppage at 4:22 of the second round due to a series of unanswered strikes.
Fedor fighting in Feb. IN THE US!!!!!!
The new ownership of the M-1 Global promotion and its acquisition of number-one world ranked fighter Fedor Emelianenko will be announced Monday at a press conference in New York City. A conference invitation sent out today was devoid of the usual details, including the event’s host, who has gone to great lengths to keep its identity a secret till Monday. It is expected that the promotion will also announce its first event in the U.S. for February, with the PRIDE heavyweight champion headlining against an opponent yet to be named. Emelianenko will be in attendance.
The "Ace" Looks To Trump The King Tonight
2:59. That's how much time Rich Franklin has been dwelling on since losing his UFC MW Title to Anderson Silva just over a year ago. Tonight Franklin looks to complete his comeback in a rematch against the man who took his title and spot at the top of the UFC MW division away from him.
Jason MacDonald: Okami is ‘boring’ and the reason UFC 77 bout not on main card
“As far as the decision to not be on the main card, the UFC has told me that it has nothing to do with me. It has to do with the fact that Okami is a boring fighter. They know I’ll try to put on an exciting fight. In fact, as I felt the hotel on Thursday, I ran into Joe Silva, the matchmaker for the UFC, and he asked to talk to me to express that again and apologized in advance to me.”
Middleweight Jason MacDonald sheds some light on the reason his bout at UFC 77: “Hostile Territory” against Yushin Okami is not on the televised pay-per-view (PPV) main card.