November 2010 MMA News Archive - Page 6
Do you have a hot MMA story or news item that you have found and would like to share? Simply read the instructions, then post it to our MMA News Share Forum to have it display here for the community to read on this page.
Listening to public sentiment, UFC boss says he'll re-think Lesnar vs. Mir III
Just one day after suggesting Lesnar vs. Mir III is a fight that "kind of makes sense" in the heavyweight division, UFC president Dana White now admits feedback received on his Twitter account is leading him away from arranging the matchup. "People have been saying on my Twitter that they're not happy with that fight," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It's something I need to re-think."
Jon Fitch Won't Cry Over Being Passed Up On Title Shot
Prior to his last bout against Thiago Alves, Jon Fitch had been told by UFC President Dana White that the winner would be the next in line to fight for the UFC Welterweight Title after Georges St. Pierre and Josh Koscheck settle things in December but enter a Jake Shields signing and win at UFC 121 and it appears Fitch had been left out in the cold, but that's not something that he's upset about:
Kampmann Says Shields Did Nothing But Hug Him
After a close split decision loss to Jake Shields at UFC 121, Martin Kampmann talks about how he felt about the loss and who could be in his future via Riddum.com:
White disappointed with UFC 122 main event, points blame at renowned trainer
White had some particularly harsh words for headliner Nate Marquardt (30-10-2 MMA, 9-4 UFC), who saw a second shot at the title slip through his hands with a unanimous decision loss to Yushin Okami (26-5 MMA, 10-2 UFC).
UFC 122 attendance and live gate: 8,421 for estimated $600,000
OBERHAUSEN, Germany – Saturday's UFC 122 event drew 8,421 spectators for an estimated live gate of approximately $600,000. The event took place at Konig Pilsener Arena in Oberhausen, Germany, and aired via same-day delay on Spike TV in the U.S.
UFC 122 bonuses
OBERHAUSEN, Germany – Karlos Vemola, Dennis Siver, Pascal Krauss and Mark Scanlon each earned $60,000 "Fight Night" bonuses for their performances at Saturday's "UFC 122: Marquardt vs. Okami" event. Vemola earned the night's "Knockout of the Night" award, Siver picked up the "Submission of the Night" bonus, and Krauss and Scanlon shared "Fight of the Night" honors.
UFC 122 main-card recap
MAIN CARD Yushin Okami def. Nate Marquardt via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28) Dennis Siver def. Andre Winner via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 1, 3:37 Amir Sadollah def. Peter Sobotta via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) Krzysztof Soszynski def. Goran Reljic by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) Duane Ludwig vs. Nick Osipczak via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28) PRELIMINARY CARD Vladimir Matyushenko def. Alexandre "Cacareco" Ferreira via TKO (strikes) - Round 1, 2:20 Pascal Krauss def. Mark Scanlon via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) Kyle Noke def. Rob Kimmons via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 2, 1:33 Karlos Vemola def. Seth Petruzelli via TKO (strikes) - Round 1, 3:46 Carlos Eduardo Rocha def. Kris McCray via submission (kneebar) - Round 1, 2:21
White: Roy Nelson's UFC Career On Hold Until Outside Contract Issues Resolved
OBERHAUSEN, Germany – There's a reason Roy Nelson will not appear at UFC 125, and it's not because the UFC is unable to find him a new opponent. UFC president Dana White today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Nelson (15-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC) is currently contractually bound to another fight promotion. As such, he won't be seen inside the octagon until he is in the clear from his previous employer. Following Saturday night's UFC 121 event in Oberhausen, Germany, White declined to specifically name the fight promotion, but sources close to "Big Country" confirmed that former boxing champion Roy Jones Jr.'s Square Ring Promotions has Nelson tied down. Nelson headlined a MMA/boxing hybrid card Jones Jr. promoted in March 2009 entitled "March Badness" and was defeated by former UFC heavyweight contender Jeff Monson by unanimous decision. He earned $30,000 for his efforts. That's gotta suck.
Alessio Sakara scratched from UFC 122 - Ludwig/Oscipzak Promoted to Main Card
And then there were 10. As in only ten bouts remain on the “UFC 122: Marquardt vs. Okami” roster. Although the event is officially underway inside the Konig Pilsener Arena in Oberhausen, Germany, Alessio Sakara was abruptly scratched from tonight’s co-main event against Jorge Rivera. According to FightersOnly, Sakara came down with “flu-like symptoms” early this morning. An Octagon source told FO the Italian, “Woke up sick, with nausea and flu-like symptoms. He saw a doctor and he was really ill. He came to the arena anyway and was going to fight, but his symptoms came back in a big way and he is too sick to fight.” There are also reports the striker was vomiting backstage, which prompted the world’s premier mixed martial arts show to scrap the co-featured contest.
Dana: UFC Will Soon Add Flyweights
Every major weight class soon will be under the Ultimate Fighting Championship banner. Following January's upcoming absorption of World Extreme Cagefighting and its 145-pound featherweights and 135-pound bantamweights, the UFC then will add 125-pound flyweights. That's according to UFC president Dana White, who said the new weight class could soon debut. "I believe we'll add it a lot sooner than people think we will," White said during today's Q&A session at at Konig Pilsener Arena in Oberhausen, Germany. His comments come a day after two potential stars of the division – WEC 52 fighters Joseph Benavidez and Demetrious Johnson – picked up wins as bantamweights in Las Vegas.
WEC 52 Medical Suspensions
The NSAC has posted the official WEC 52 results on it's website, which also reveal the medical suspensions coming out of last night's event. Of note: If Urijah Faber does not have his left shoulder cleared by a doctor, his UFC debut will not come until at least mid-May. Also, Takeya Mizugaki only got 45 days despite being choked legit unconscious by Faber in the main event.
Dana: We Probably Will See Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir Next
Again, like it or not, while also denying another rumored fight. "He never asked for Roy Nelson, that's not true. The last thing I did hear was that he wants to fight Frank Mir again. That fight kind of makes sense so ... we will probably see Lesnar fight Mir next, I think that the rubber match makes sense."
WEC 52 Fighter Payouts
The NSAC has revealed the official fighter payouts from last night's WEC 52 event. The total disclosed payouts were $284,500 with the biggest share-$56,000-going to Urijah Faber.
Nogueira vs. Tito Ortiz in the works for 2011
With two wins in three fights in the UFC, Rogério “Minotouro” Nogueira revealed he wanted to return to the as soon as possible, but it looks like he’ll have to wait until 2011. According to souces close to his camp, Nogueira will face the former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz, who lost four of his last five fights, in 2011. TATAME.com called Rogerio, who didn’t confirmed the news, but revealed he also head Ortiz’s name. “I’ve heard some rumors of this fight, but there’s nothing signed. In my last fight they said about (Quinton) Rampage and they changed to Ryan Bader”, Nogueira said. Stay tuned for more news about the UFC.
Submitted Nov 11, 2010 10:48PM by FastKnockout - 15 comments
Filed under: UFC, MMA Personalities, General MMA
Wanderlei Silva Has A Message For Vitor Belfort...
You want a rival, you got one! "You know, I was missing something. But then I found out I needed a rival. I never trained as hard as the time I fought (Ricardo) Arona. But now, I want (Vitor) Belfort, and I'm already trained for you. I'm gonna get you, you'll see!" This stems from an ongoing feud that started when Wanderlei predicted Anderson Silva would "destroy" Belfort at UFC 126, and Silva's reaction is to these comments from Belfort: "I didn’t waste my time watching [Wanderlei's video blog]. It’s just a spectator’s opinion. Spectators can say whatever they want. He just wanted to get some attention for himself. I don’t take it seriously. I will use my best characteristic - that is trading hits, boxing. It’s going to be a great test to strike with him. This is my job, right? I’m training Muay Thai a lot with a world champion and my karate coach is coming next month. I’ll be ready when I get there, you can be sure."
UFC 122 Tickets Selling Well, But Not Sellout
A representative from the UFC's German partner said UFC 122 has sold very well, though this weekend's show hasn't sold out. Marek Lieberberg, a concert promoter who also promotes the UFC within the country, today said that between 8,000 and 9,000 tickets have been sold for the show. UFC 122 takes place Saturday at Konig Pilsener Arena in Oberhausen, Germany. The event's seating configuration allows for 11,000 people, according to Lieberberg. Ticket sales have remained strong despite an advertisement campaign based entirely on the Web, he said.
UFC 1/22 Event Now (Finally) Official
UFC Fight Night 23: UFC Fight for the Troops 2 is official for January 22nd, and will take place at Fort Hood in Killeen, Texas. The event will raise funds for the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund and will air on Spike TV. UFC Fight Night 16 served as the first UFC Fight for the Troops, and raised more than $4 million for the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, which provides assistance to our nation's military heroes who have been critically injured in the performance of their duty. Dana White had the following to say about the event…"It's always a great honor for us to entertain the men and women of the military by bringing them some great fights while raising money for the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund. It's the least we can do for the people who are defending this country and making so many sacrifices for our freedom, and this is a cause the UFC will always support." The 5 TV fights have been confirmed, with Evan Dunham-Kenny Florian the main event. 5 prelims are currently rumored but not officially announced yet.
Darren Elkins Off UFC 123
A late change has been made today to next week's UFC 123 event-Darren Elkins is now off due to injury. He was to have faced the debuting Edson Barboza. Mike Lullo, another UFC newcomer with an 8-2 career record, is the replacement. Lullo lost his first 2 career fights but has won 8 in a row since including 6 in a row by submission-the most recent being in June when he gogoplata'd Jeremy Castro in the first round.
WEC 52 Weigh-In Results
MAIN CARD •Urijah Faber (136) vs. Takeya Mizugaki (136) •Chad Mendes (145.5) vs. Javier Vazquez (146) •Erik Koch (146) vs. Francisco Rivera (146) •Joseph Benavidez (136) vs. Wagnney Fabiano (136) •Demetrious Johnson (135) vs. Damacio Page (136) PRELIMINARY CARD •Raphael Assuncao (146) vs. L.C. Davis (146) •Edward Faaloloto (154) vs. Anthony Njokuani (156) •Zack Micklewright (158)* vs. Dustin Poirier (155) •Clint Godfrey (136) vs. Michael McDonald (135) •Mackens Semerzier (145) vs. Cub Swanson (145) •Yves Jabouin (145) vs. Brandon Visher (145) * - Micklewright has been given one hour to make the 156-pound limit
Marcus Davis To Make Lightweight Debut At UFC 125
After announcing recently he planned to drop from Welterweight to Lightweight, Marcus Davis will make his 155 debut at UFC 125 on January 1. His opponent will likely be a fighter who openly campaigned for a fight with him after his announcement-Jeremy Stephens. The fight is expected to be finalized in the coming days.