June 2011 MMA News Archive
Do you have a hot MMA story or news item that you have found and would like to share? Simply read the instructions, then post it to our MMA News Share Forum to have it display here for the community to read on this page.
Relationship with Dana White Won’t Stop Tito Ortiz From Being Inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame
Personal feelings will not impair Tito Ortiz from getting a spot in the UFC Hall of Fame, this according to UFC President Dana White.
After Spike TV Counter-Programming Tactics, UFC Pres Says, “I Owe You One”
All is fair in love and war… and television contract negotiations, evidently. The UFC and longtime broadcast partner Spike TV hit a snag in negotiations recently when the network counter-programmed a live UFC event on Versus.
Nik Lentz and Charles Oliveira Likely Headed for a Rematch to Settle ‘No Contest’
Charles Oliveira and Nik Lentz are on the path to a second showdown after their UFC on Versus 4 bout was ruled a “no contest,” according to UFC president Dana White.
UFC to host event in Japan "this year"
LAS VEGAS – The UFC could make its long-awaited return to Japan this year. UFC president Dana White today said that plans are moving forward for for the organization to promote a show in the country, which hasn't hosted a UFC event since UFC 29 way back in 2000. "The rumor is true," said White, who couldn't given any exact details on a date or host venue. "We're going to come to Japan, and probably soon." Just how soon? "This year," he said. White and other officials have long teased the possibility of an upcoming show in Japan, where four pre-Zuffa LLC events took place in Tokyo (twice), Chiba and Yokohama more than a decade ago. Until the past few years, the UFC largely ignored the region. However, in 2009, the UFC amped up its efforts in Asia, signed new TV and Internet deals in Japan, and began serious recruiting of Japanese talent.
Kenny Florian responds to the accusation that his 'Hellbows' could be illegal
Kenny Florian made his 145-pound debut at UFC 131: "Dos Santos vs. Carwin" back on June 11 at the Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Also making its debut in "Hollywood North" were his patented "Hellbows," the razor-sharp elbow strikes that left a trail of leaky skulls throughout the lightweight division, most notably against Sean Sherk at UFC 64 and Joe Lauzon at UFC Fight Night 13. Diego Nunes joined that prestigious list in a unanimous decision loss to "KenFlo" earlier this month, enduring (among other things) a few shots to the dome courtesy of some Bostonian elbow grease.
Strikeforce releases Heavyweight Brett Rogers following arrest
LAS VEGAS – Strikeforce has released heavyweight fighter Brett Rogers. Dana White, president of sister promotion UFC, confirmed the contract termination today following a UFC 132 press conference. Rogers was arrested on Wednesday and charged with felonious third-degree assault and misdemeanor endangerment of a child following an alleged altercation with his wife. White said the release came immediately after the arrest, which took place in Apple Valley, Minn.
Brett Rogers Arrested And Jailed For Domestic Abuse
Strikeforce heavyweight star Brett "Grim" Rogers has been arrested and jailed in connection with assaulting his wife Wednesday in their South Metro home in Apple Valley, Minnesota. According to reports, Rogers wife was strangled, punched repeatedly in the head and face, and also lost a tooth in the struggle.
Submitted Jun 30, 2011 3:31PM by rockyf - 22 comments
Filed under: StrikeForce, General MMA, Miscellaneous, MMA Personalities
Kimbo Slice to make pro-boxing debut Aug. 13
Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson will make his pro-boxing debut on Aug. 13, officials announced. He'll headline a four-round main event at Buffalo Run Casino in Miami, Okla. Neither an opponent nor broadcast details have not been announced for the show, which Gary Shaw Productions and Tony Holden Promotions is producing.
Wanderlei Silva on Chael Sonnen: 'I Will Kill Him Fast'
LAS VEGAS -- MMA Fighting spoke to Wanderlei Silva about his UFC 132 fight against Chris Leben, why he pushed so hard to fight Leben, his health, how many more years he wants to fight for and his ongoing feud with Chael Sonnen.
'Fear Factor' to return to NBC in fall 2011 with Joe Rogan as host
Way before he was the popular color commentator for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), Joe Rogan was a struggling stand up comedian and C-level actor on "NewsRadio." His "big break" came in 2001, when he debuted as the host of "Fear Factor," a stunt-oriented reality show on NBC that challenged ordinary people, and couples, to accomplish extraordinary daredevil feats for average (by today's standards) sums on money. On the side Rogan, a mixed martial arts (MMA) enthusiast, was doing play-by-play for a struggling promotion for next to nothing. He was merely a fan, a quasi-popular celebrity, who essentially traded out his talents for the best seat in the house every few weekends.
If UFC Tells Tito Ortiz to Hang Up Gloves After UFC 132, He’ll Call it a Career
It was a dark day for former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz when he walked into the UFC offices after his loss to Matt Hamill in October 2010. Once known as the most dominant 205-pound fighter on the planet, Ortiz was in the midst of a three-fight losing streak, and was without a victory since 2006. While the numbers don’t lie, Ortiz kept every fight close and wasn’t finished in those three recent losses, but still hadn’t found the right formula to win. Despite his record, however, Ortiz knew that he had fought his heart out and
ProElite Announces Return with MMA Event on Aug. 27 in Hawaii
ProElite, Inc. on Wednesday announced its return to the mixed martial arts arena with an event on Aug. 27 in Hawaii, confirming an initial report by MMAWeekly.com that the promotion would be resurrected. ProElite will return at the Neal S. Blaisdell Arena in Waikiki on the island of Oahu. The August event is ProElite’s first under the new ownership of Stratus Media Group Inc. The company hasn’t promoted an event since 2008.
Junior dos Santos Leaves Manager Ed Soares
UFC No. 1 heavyweight contender Junior dos Santos announced via Twitter that he is leaving manager Ed Soares. Dos Santos tweeted: “I am officially under new representation! All sponsorship or press requests, please contact @GuedesGroup she’ll get you to me. Thanks guys” Soares is one of the most influential managers in the game, managing UFC champions Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo and former champions Lyoto Machida and Antonio Rodrigo Nogeuira. The news comes just weeks after dos Santos defeated Shane Carwin at UFC 131 to earn a shot at UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez. Soares is one of the best managers in the game today. But he has also come under much criticism.
UFC 132 Fight Card: A Mature Melvin Guillard Talks Matchup With Shane Roller
Here's a good interview with Melvin Guillard. It's fairly extensive, and a pretty good read.
Ken Shamrock Talks About Modified MMA Match With James Toney
The promotion that will put on the bout has not been named, no venue or location has been announced, and no date has been set ?? In one of the more side show fights coming out of the MMA world right now is Boxing world champion James Toney Vs long faded, ex-UFC star Ken Shamrock. But this is no normal MMA fight, check out the change in rules for this bout. Following a takedown the fight will be stood up after 30 seconds, regardless of positioning...
Submitted Jun 29, 2011 5:40PM by rockyf - 10 comments
Filed under: Other MMA Organizations, General MMA, MMA Personalities
UFC on Versus 4 Bout Between Charles Oliveira and Nik Lentz Ruled a No Contest
The Pennsylvania Athletic Commission has overturned Charles Oliveira's victory over Nik Lentz at UFC on Versus 4 and declared the fight a no contest. Oliveira landed a flagrantly illegal knee to Lentz' face while Lentz had one knee on the ground. Referee Chip Snider let the action continue despite the illegal blow and Oliveira quickly submitted the stunnded Lentz. The UFC declared the bout the Fight of the Night and awarded each fighter a $50,000 bonus. MMA Weekly got the statement from Greg Sirb, executive director of the PSAC: "After review of the tape of this contest and after consultation with the referee the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission has ruled that the results of this match will be changed to a no contest. "This change is a direct result from an accidental kick to the head by Mr. Oliveira to a grounded Mr. Lentz."
Spike TV Proves Point By Airing Countdown to UFC 132 in Mid-Afternoon
The Countdown show is a staple of UFC event weeks. With UFC 132 taking place this Saturday, many fans were eagerly anticipating the countdown show to help kick the hype into overdrive. But if those fans were wanting to watch it when it debuted, they'd better hope they don't have a day job.
Chael Sonnen Now Free to Apply for License
Chael Sonnen, the UFC middleweight who has been serving a suspension from the California State Athletic Commission since his loss to Anderson Silva in August of 2010, is now free to apply for a license to fight in California or any other state. "He can be removed from the suspension list and he is able to re-apply to any agency or any commission," George Dodd, the Commission's executive officer, told MMAFighting.com on Wednesday. "In California he would have to appear before the Commission before the Commission would license."
Marquardt's coach didn't agree with TRT
In the case of Marquardt, Wittman knew his fighter was undergoing testosterone treatments. He didn't agree with it, he said, but he also didn't feel like it was his place to tell a veteran fighter how to conduct his career. What's more, even though he felt like the testosterone use shouldn't have been allowed, technically -- at least if Marquardt could provide proof of his need for it and get his levels down to within a range acceptable by the commissions before each fight -- it was. Marquardt was attempting to follow the rules laid out by the commissions, Wittman said. That's why, in Marquardt's mind, it wasn't cheating at all. "Nate Marquardt is a guy who's never been untruthful with me. Everything that he tells me, and everything he told me going into this fight and back before New Jersey, it's something that he truly believes in. He went and had his testosterone checked. And when I spoke to him about it, I could tell he really believes he'd done the right thing, because the doctors are telling him, 'Your levels are low. You need this. This is why you're tired. We'll give you this and you'll perform like you're young again.' Man, you start telling a guy that, he's going to believe you.
Denial of therapeutic use exemption may have contributed to Marquardt's UFC exit
More than a month before he fought Dan Miller at UFC 128, Nate Marquardt went to the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board and applied for a therapeutic use exemption to be allowed to continue prescribed testosterone as recommended by his personal doctor. Marquardt received approval from the commission overseeing the pay-per-view event, but only on the condition that he submit to a series of tests both before and after the fight that would ensure his hormone levels were within a range accepted by the commission's rules. After the fight, he was placed on an indefinite suspension to ensure he continued to meet the requirements. When one of those tests came back beyond the commission's acceptable limits for the hormone, the NJSACB denied Marquardt's application for an exemption. As it happened, the denial arrived the day before the weigh-ins for his next fight, a headlining bout opposite Rick Story at UFC on Versus 4. "This exemption denial along with the test results were then immediately forwarded to the Pennsylvania Athletic Commission for their review and analysis," NJSACB legal counsel Nick Lembo today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).