Cage Warriors Announces Return with April 15 Event in London
After a brief hiatus, Cage Warriors Fighting Championship is planning to hold its first event in 17 months later this year.
The European mixed martial arts promotion announced on Thursday that CWFC 75 will take place at Camden Centre in London on April 15. Matchups and broadcast details are expected to be revealed at a later date.
“We know that fight fans want to know everything right now, but I wanted to make sure Cage Warriors returns in a way I felt comfortable with, and in a way that underlined our commitment to develop the sport in the EMEA region,” CWFC President Graham Boylan said in a release.
CWFC 74, the promotion’s most recent offering, took place on Nov. 15, 2014 at Copper Box Arena in London and saw current UFC talent Nicholas Dalby outpoint Mohsen Bahari in the main event. All told, the organization has staged 85 events since its inception in 2002.
UFC free agent Aljamain Sterling to announce contract decision on MMA Hour
Top 10 UFC bantamweight Aljamain Sterling is one of the top free agents in MMA, and he's made his decision as to which promotion he'll compete under for his future fights. The 26-year-old Long Island native will make his announcement on Monday's (February 15th) edition of The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani. According to his message on Instagram, he's received offers from the UFC, Bellator, World Series of Fighting, and ONE Championship.
Jason 'Mayhem' Miller arrested for suspicion of DUI
Maybe Jason Miller's planned return to fighting was supposed to represent a fresh start. But so far, we seem to be getting more of his same old act.
The troubled Miller was arrested the morning of Feb. 7 in Irvine, Calif. for suspicion of driving under the influence, according to Orange County public arrest records. He was released later that day and is due to appear in a local court on March 7.
Kendall Grove vs. Francisco France completes Bellator 150 card in Kansas
The card is complete for Bellator 150 later this month with the addition of a new middleweight fight to the main card.
Kendall Grove (22-15 MMA, 3-2 BMMA) will meet Francisco France (13-3-1 MMA, 1-0 BMMA) on the card, promotion officials today announced.
MAIN CARD (Spike, 9 p.m. ET)
Marcos Galvao vs. Eduardo Dantas – for bantamweight title
Cheick Kongo vs. Vinicius Queiroz
Bobby Cooper vs. David Rickels
Francisco France vs. Kendall Grove
Lena Ovchynnikova vs. Rebecca Ruth
PRELIMINARY CARD (MMAjunkie 7 p.m. ET)
Gregory Babene vs. Brandon Farran
Gaston Reyno vs. Chuka Willis
David Hammons vs. Kyle Noblitt
Chris Harris vs. Julian Marque
Henry Lindsay vs. Marcio Navarro
Deron Charlis vs. Thai Clark
Andre Fialho vs. Manuel Meraz
Jonathan Gary vs. Jason Witt
Ronda Rousey back in training for first time since Holly Holm loss
It looks like Ronda Rousey is officially blazing the comeback trail as she gets back in the gym for the first documented session with her coaches since a November 2015 loss to Holly Holm.
TMZ captured the former champion working mitts and throwing combinations with coach Edmond Tarverdyan at the Glendale Fighting Club in California this week.
Rousey had stated following a vicious head-kick knockout to Holm last year that she may not be able to take any kind of impact for "three to six months" -- but it looks like she's at least ready to start throwing hands again
Former UFC, PRIDE standout Wanderlei Silva to appear at Bellator 149 Fan Fest
Bellator may have taken the next step toward getting Wanderlei Silva into its fold by getting the former UFC standout and PRIDE champion onto its Fan Fest lineup for next week.
The Bellator Fan Fest takes place Feb. 18, the night before Bellator 149, at Dave & Buster’s (7620 Katy Freeway #100) in Houston. Bellator 149 takes place the next day at Toyota Center in Houston with a main card on Spike following prelims on MMAjunkie. MMA veterans Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock meet in a trilogy rematch in the main event, and street fighting legends Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson and Dhafir “DADA 5000” Harris meet in a co-main event grudge match.
Damian Stasiak meets newcomer Filip Pejic at UFC Fight Night 86 in Croatia
The UFC’s debut event in Croatia continues to grow with the addition of a bantamweight bout.
Zagreb’s own Filip Pejic (10-1-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will make his promotional debut at UFC Fight Night 86 against Poland’s Damian Stasiak (8-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC). Promotion officials announced the new matchup today.
With the addition, the latest UFC Fight Night 86 card now includes:
Junior Dos Santos vs. Ben Rothwell
Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Ruslan Magomedov
Bojan Mihajlovic vs. Francis Ngannou
Timothy Johnson vs. Marcin Tybura
Jan Blachowicz vs. Igor Pokrajac
Nicolas Dalby vs. Bartosz Fabinski
Damir Hadzovic vs. Mairbek Taisumov
Alessio Di Chirico vs. Bojan Velickovic
Filip Pejic vs. Damian Stasiak
Rin Nakai vs. Leslie Smith, Ben Nguyen vs. Justin Scoggins set for UFC Fight Night 85
The UFC’s return to Australia next month has two more fights added to an already hefty lineup.
Rin Nakai (16-1-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and Leslie Smith (7-6-1 MMA, 1-2 UFC) will return from long layoffs for a women’s bantamweight matchup at UFC Fight Night 85. And flyweights Ben Nguyen (14-5 MMA, 2-0 UFC) and Justin Scoggins (11-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC) will fight.
UFC officials announced the new bouts today, giving the card 13 total fights, following an initial report in The Courier Mail in Australia.
With the additions, the latest UFC Fight Night 85 card includes:
Mark Hunt vs. Frank Mir
Hector Lombard vs. Neil Magny
Steve Bosse vs. James Te Huna
Alan Jouban vs. Brendan O’Reilly
Antonio Carlos Junior vs. Daniel Kelly
Seo Hee Ham vs. Bec Rawlings
Johnny Case vs. Jake Matthews
Viscardi Andrade vs. Richard Walsh
Ross Pearson vs. Abel Trujillo
Chad Laprise vs. Alan Patrick
Mark Eddiva vs. Daniel Hooker
Rin Nakai vs. Leslie Smith
Ben Nguyen vs. Justin Scoggins
Bellator 151 card complete with addition of seven prelims in Oklahoma
The card is complete for next month’s Bellator 151 event in Oklahoma with the addition of seven prelims.
On Tuesday, the card’s co-main event got a change when unbeaten Brit Michael Page (9-0 MMA, 5-0 BMMA) had to pull out. Former RFA welterweight champion Gilbert Smith (12-4 MMA, 0-0 BMMA) stepped up on a month’s notice to face Fernando Gonzalez (24-13 MMA, 4-0 BMMA) in the co-feature. Now the rest of the card is set.
Bellator 151 takes place March 4 at Winstar World Casino & Resort in Thackerville, Okla. The main card airs on Spike following prelims on MMAjunkie.
The complete Bellator 151 main card now includes:
MAIN CARD (Spike TV, 9 p.m. ET)
Joe Warren vs. Darrion Caldwell
Fernando Gonzalez vs. Gilbert Smith
Bubba Jenkins vs. Goiti Yamauchi
Sirwan Kakai vs. Joe Taimanglo
PRELIMINARY CARD (MMAjunkie, 7 p.m. ET)
Chris Jones vs. Ray Wood
Steve Garcia vs. Ricky Turcios
Justin Patterson vs. Chance Rencountre
Aaron Roberson vs. Treston Thomison
Roger Carroll vs. Neiman Gracie
Jermayne Barnes vs. Derek Palmer
Stephen Banaszak vs. Steven Peterson
Scott Coker: Bellator, Rizin both interested in Wanderlei Silva
If Wanderlei Silva can ever get clear of his issues with the Nevada Athletic Commission, he could be looking at a windfall.
Bellator MMA president Scott Coker told Ariel Helwani on a recent edition of The MMA Hour that both Bellator and Rizin are interested in Silva, a recent free agent, provided he's no longer under suspension.
"He's gonna have to clear that all up," Coker said. "That's gonna be part of the deal. I know that Rizin wants to sign him as well. There's gonna be a couple of bidders out there for Wanderlei's services."
Erokhin fails drug test at TUF 22 finale
The Russian heavyweight's latest fight was a highly criticized, listless unanimous decision loss to Gabriel Gonzaga at The Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale on Dec. 11 in Las Vegas. And late last month, Erokhin was removed from the UFC roster.
Now, Erokhin's drug test from the TUF Finale has come back positive. Erokhin popped for the anabolic steroid drostanolone in a pre-fight, in-competition test, according to documents obtained by MMA Fighting through a public records request with the Nevada Athletic Commission.
Erokhin failed a test sent to Quest Diagnostics administered by the NAC, not a test administered by USADA. He will face a suspension and fine from the NAC in an upcoming hearing.
CM Punk says he's slated for back surgery, UFC debut delayed again
The long-awaited UFC debut of Phil “CM Punk” Brooks is going to have to wait a little longer.
The former WWE star and MMA newcomer today told MMAFighting.com he’s slated for back surgery today to correct a herniated disc. He reportedly expected a four- to six-month recovery and hopes to fight by year’s end.
“My back has always bugged me,” Punk told MMAFighting.com. “Figured it was just wrestling (expletive). Turns out it was.
“It got bad enough to the point where I couldn’t do anything the week before I went to train with the New Jersey Devils last month. One day I could manage. The next day I couldn’t. I’ve been in agony for almost a month. Chiropractor, acupuncture, massage, cryotherapy – nothing worked.”
Mickey Gall is a big betting favorite over CM Punk
CM Punk's UFC debut has been expected for a while now, and it seems that he finally has an opponent - Mickey Gall. Gall defeated Mike Jackson in just 45 seconds at UFC Fight Night 82 to earn his bout with Punk, and it looks like oddsmakers are favoring the guy with the actual fight experience. Here's the opening 5Dimes line ( )
CM Punk +260
Mickey Gall -380
Over 1.5 +135
Under 1.5 -175
Michael Page out of Bellator 151, RFA champ Gilbert Smith in vs. Fernando Gonzalez
Fans will have to wait a little bit longer to see Michael Page show off his flashy fighting style again in the Bellator cage.
Page (9-0 MMA, 5-0 BMMA) is out of his scheduled Bellator 151 co-main event showdown with Fernando Gonzalez (24-13 MMA, 4-0 BMMA) for undisclosed reasons. Stepping in to replace “Venom” is the now former RFA welterweight champion Gilbert Smith (12-4 MMA, 0-0 BMMA).
Bellator officials confirmed the switch to MMAjunkie
The latest Bellator 151 main card includes:
Joe Warren vs. Darrion Caldwell
Fernando Gonzalez vs. Gilbert Smith
Bubba Jenkins vs. Goiti Yamauchi
Sirwan Kakai vs. Joe Taimanglo
Jon Jones responds to Monday's events via Instagram
Just fucking wow...how this dude doesn't have a PR guy yet is mind blowing...
Instagram video of him basically saying a bunch of cock shit. Any of us would go to jail if we were caught simultaneously driving without a license, registration, and insurance while serving probation for serious traffic violations. Then he goes on social media and makes light of it saying we are talking about "tickets"...that is the problem. He gets tickets, try that as an average Joe in AZ or southern Cali and your ass is posting bail at best, if you were on probation that bail would simply be to much for you to afford.
RIZIN's Sakakibara will 'put in the effort' to deliver Fedor vs. Wanderlei
"This month, I will visit the United States, where I will meet with Wanderlei," Sakakibara told Tass.ru. "This is a fighter, which is not only interesting to Rizin, but for fans of combat sports in general. And our job is to answer the wishes of our viewers."
Sakakibara added that the promotion will aim to set up a potential clash between Fedor Emelianenko and Wanderlei Silva if they sense that it is a fight that fans are interested in.
"If we talk about the fight between Fedor and Wanderlei Silva, there is such a possibility. If the number of those wishing to see the fight between Fedor and Wanderlei Silva will be really great, we will make efforts to ensure that the fight takes place."
Report: UFC releases Jorgensen, Roop, and Yui Chul
Back on January 29th, the UFC released a whole slew of fighters between their heavyweight and lightweight divisions. It looked, for the moment, as though the lighter weightclasses had been spared. It doesn't look that way now. While not an official announcement, the UFCFIGHTERSiNFO Twitter account, which monitors the UFC.com website and it's roster, has delivered the news that a few names from the lighter weight classes have been removed from the UFC's database. That usually only means one thing.
The biggest of those names is Scott Jorgensen, who sent out a Tweet just last week declaring his free agency. It looks like the UFC doesn't plan on being part of that bidding process.
UFC Fight Night Medical Suspensions: Seven Fighters Facing Potential 6-Month Layoffs
UFC Fight Night ‘Hendricks vs. Thompson’ Medical Suspensions
Stephen Thompson: Must have right ankle X-rayed and, if positive, cleared by orthopedic doctor, or no contest until Aug. 7. Minimum suspension no contest until March 8; no contact until Feb. 28.
Johny Hendricks: Suspended until March 8; no contact until Feb. 28.
Roy Nelson: Suspended until March 8; no contact until Feb. 28.
Jared Rosholt: Must have left ankle X-rayed and, if positive, cleared by orthopedic doctor, or no contest until Aug. 7. Minimum suspension no contest until March 8; no contact until Feb. 28.
Ovince St. Preux: Must have right ankle X-rayed and, if positive, cleared by orthopedic doctor, or no contest until Aug. 7. Minimum suspension no contest until March 8; no contact until Feb. 28.
Rafael Cavalcante: Must have right eye cleared by ophthalmologist, or no contest until Aug. 7. Minimum suspension no contest until March 23; no contact until March 8.
Joseph Benavidez: Suspended until March 23; no contact until March 8 (left eyebrow laceration).
Alex Nicholson: Must have bilateral jaw fractures and broken nose an oral, maxillofacial doctor, or no contest until Aug. 7. Minimum suspension no contest until March 23; no contact until March 8.
Sean Spencer: Suspended until March 23; no contact until March 8.
Joshua Burkman: Must have MRI on right shoulder and clearance by orthopedic doctor, or no contest until Aug. 7. Minimum suspension no contest until Feb. 28; no contact until Feb. 21.
K.J. Noons: Suspended until March 23; no contact until March 8 (finger laceration).
Damian Grabowski: Suspended until March 23; no contact until March 8 (scalp laceration).
Ray Borg: Suspended until March 8; no contact until Feb. 28 (tough fight).
Diego Rivas: Must have both knees cleared by an orthopedic doctor, or no contest until Aug. 7.
Noad Lahat: Suspended until April 7; no contact until March 23.
Artem Lobov: Suspended until March 8; no contact until Feb. 28 (eyelid laceration).
RFA 36 main card finalized with 4-time All-American wrestler Logan Storley
After announcing the event’s first three bouts, the remaining three are now set for next month’s “RFA 36: Barcelos vs. Vannata” event.
The show takes place march 4 at Mystic Lake Casino Hotel in Prior Lake, Minn., and the main card airs on AXS TV.
As previously announced, the headliner features featherweight champion Raoni Barcelos (9-1) vs. challenger Landon Vannata (7-0).
Among the latest additions is undefeated welterweight prospect Logan Storley (2-0), who should help pull in some local fans when he meets Rode Vocu (1-0).