Varner: Interim Title Is ‘Glorified Second Place’
Donald Cerrone will meet Benson Henderson for the interim WEC lightweight championship at WEC 43, but current titleholder Jamie Varner says the gold they’re fighting for is “garbage.”
“It’s funny; it’s like the interim belt is a glorified second place,” Varner told Sherdog.com. “To me, I think that’s bulls--t. The interim belt doesn’t mean anything. They have a belt, but they don't have the belt. It’s garbage.”
The interim title fight between Cerrone and Henderson will take place Sept. 2 at the Covelli Centre in Youngstown, Ohio.
(Spoiler?? not really)Size Matters: The Ultimate Fighter Season Ten Roll Call
We are currently three weeks deep into the taping of the upcoming tenth season of Spike TV’s The Ultimate Fighter. This season is set to feature nothing but the big boys as sixteen larger than life warriors will be duking it out to determine the king of the heavyweight Ultimate Fighter crop.
The Ultimate Fighter: The Heavyweights could already be considered the most highly anticipated show of the series largely in part of the recent announcement that none other than Kevin Ferguson, aka Kimbo Slice was expected to enter the shark tank.
The timing couldn’t be any better. I don’t think that I’m alone in saying that the most recent season of the show was the most lackluster of the series to date. Never have I been as unengaged with a season of TUF before season nine.
The most successful television show in mixed martial arts needed a drastic change, or a makeover in a sense. It needed something, and it looks like it has found its answer in the form of sixteen mammoth sized brawlers willing to put their bodies on the line in the pursuit of their dream to become a UFC heavyweight.
A full list of the men expected to appear on the tenth season of The Ultimate Fighter was recently released by the popular U.K. newspaper, The Sun. Among them are four former professional football players, a portly wrecking machine, a thugged out Internet sensation, UFC veterans and MMA rookies alike, The Ultimate Fighter: The Heavyweights is sure to have quite the variety of personalities and schools of thought
Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva likely for Sengoku in September, return to U.S. action possible
Former EliteXC heavyweight champion Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva (12-1) will likely appear at the as-yet-unannounced World Victory Road's "Sengoku 10th Battle" event in September.
Silva's manager, Alex Davis, today informed MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) of the potential bout, as well as his client's desire to return to action in the U.S.
"I think that probably by next year you'll see him back in the U.S.," Davis said. "I'd like him back in the States; that's our goal. Right now we still have a contract with Sengoku. He's probably going to fight in September. If that goes well, possibly for a Sengoku title at the end of the year."
Youngstown, Ohio hosts WEC 43 on Sept. 2, Jamie Varner won't be stripped of title
As company executives hinted earlier this year, World Extreme Cagefighting will, in fact, make its Ohio debut in 2009.
WEC General Manager Reed Harris today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that WEC 43 is set for Wednesday, Sept. 2, at the 6,000-seat Covelli Centre in Youngstown.
However, despite recent reports, injured champion Jamie Varner will not be stripped of his WEC lightweight title, and WEC 43 headliners and top contenders Donald Cerrone (10-1) and Benson Henderson (9-1) will instead fight for an interim lightweight belt, Harris said.
A number of reports, citing a Youngstown Vindicator story, stated Varner would be stripped of his belt and that it would then be contested by Cerrone and Henderson. However, Harris said that won't be the case.
Jamie Varner to be stripped of belt; Cerrone vs. Henderson will be for WEC lightweight title
It appears as though current WEC lightweight champion Jamie Varner may be forced to the sidelines indefinitely.
According to a recent report on Vindy.com, WEC founder and general manager Reed Harris said that Varner may never fight again due to the broken foot and hand sustained in his previous bout with Donald Cerrone.
That match-up was cut short when Cerrone struck a downed Varner in the face with an illegal knee in the fifth round. When it was ruled that the defending champion was unable to continue, the fight went to the scorecards where Varner came away with the split decision victory.
It has been reported that the WEC plans to strip Varner of his title shortly.
A previously announced bout between Cerrone and has bee promoted to a title fight to determine the new WEC lightweight champion.
The fight will be the main event at WEC 43 which is set for September 2 in Youngstown, Ohio.
UFC 100 will air live on UK TV
FANS of mixed martial arts in the UK have been boosted by the news UFC 100 will definitely air live on July 11.
Speculation has mounted that the event would be screened on Bravo on tape delay following Setanta's collapse last week.
But we can reveal the main card from the Mandalay Bay spectacular will be broadcast in its entirety as it happens.
We understand Virgin 1 is favourite to screen the extravaganza — which looks set to be the biggest event in MMA history.
A source told SunSport: "UFC 100 will definitely air live in the UK and we can guarantee fans it will not be on pay-per-view."
The showpiece sees Brock Lesnar clash with Frank Mir in a heavyweight title unification bout in the main event.
Welterweight star Georges St Pierre also puts his title on the line against rising Brazilian star Thiago Alves, while Britain's biggest MMA fighter Michael Bisping pits his wits against legendary American middleweight Dan Henderson.
In a further boost, our insider claimed SIX TV channels are battling it out for the rights to screen fight cards following Setanta's demise.
ESPN are said to have lodged a huge bid to become the new home of the UFC in the UK and are the frontrunners to seal a long-term contract with the promotion — probably starting with UFC 101 in August.
But they face a challenge from Five, who are keen on bringing MMA to a mainstream audience.
UFC 100: JIM MILLER, "I WANT TOUGH FIGHTS"
Jim Miller seemed to be on the fast track towards a title shot, since making his long anticipated debut in the big show at UFC 89, when he squared off against the highly touted David Baron. Baron just had come off the biggest win of his career, submitting prized Japanese fighter Hayato Sakurai in the first round.
After handing Baron his first loss in five fights with an impressive third-round rear naked choke (garnering Submission of the Night), he followed up the victory with another exciting performance with a unanimous decision win over Ultimate Fighter veteran Matt Wiman, who was on a four-fight win streak inside the Octagon.
BACK TO THE WALL, IT'S DO OR DIE FOR MAC DANZIG
Coming into season six of The Ultimate Fighter, Mac Danzig was believed to be one of the most well rounded and respected guys out of any season. An early favorite to win, he showed the versatility which would be essential for a fighter exiting TUF and transitioning into the big show that is the UFC.
Submitting runner-up Tommy Speer en route to a six-figure contract with the 800-pound gorilla organization would mark his fourth submission victory in a row, including his three exhibition bouts during his time in the house. His exhibition wins included Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu ace Joe Scarolla via triangle choke and the always tough John Kolosci twice by rear naked choke, none making it out of the first round.
Despite rough road to victory, Affliction exec Tom Atencio eyes potential return to the cage
In the weeks leading to up to his Saturday night bout with Randy Hedderick at "Ultimate Chaos" in Biloxi, Miss., Affliction vice president Tom Atencio had said his second professional MMA contest would also be his last.
After being visibly rocked and dropped to the canvas early in the bout, Atencio probably wished he had stopped with just one.
But after battling back to earn a TKO win at the close of the second round, Atencio told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that he hasn't ruled out another trip to the cage.
Frank Mir - Accident, UFC, Lesnar & Liddell
Frank Mir - Accident, UFC, Lesnar & Liddell
The Official Radio Partner of PunchDrunkGamer, TakeDown Wrestling Radio recently conducted an interview with interim UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir. Mir talks with Scott Casber about his training, Brock Lesnar and a variety of issues in mixed martial arts today.
UFC Quick Quote: ‘I can’t retire (Chuck), but he gave me his word’
“I can’t retire him, but he gave me his word that he was going to retire so … To be honest with you, he and I have talked, and he has said, yes, he will retire … So we’ll see what happens. He and I are getting together next week … We’re going to get together and talk about a lot of things. He’s coming into town, and we’ve got a lot to talk about.”
Lightning Lee: Hero or Villain?
"In the grand tradition of the great British thugs -- media-proclaimed “hard men” like Lenny McLean, Charlie Bronson and Mark Brandon Read -- Lee Murray is moving through the ranks like Parliament was waiting at the end. I have never heard of a man so driven to occupy a jail cell or a morgue with such urgency. (The closest American equivalent: probably Steve-O.)
If you’ve only come into mixed martial arts via the hyper and Xyience-plastered “Ultimate Fighter” era, you’ve likely never seen Murray fight. He had long, corded muscles, a severe expression and a militant attitude. He hit very, very hard and he shocked the hell out of virtually everyone when he went and submitted Jorge Rivera with a triangle choke in his first and only UFC appearance. All said, he fought about 10 times and won most of them. In what would become his career finale, he was smacked around by Anderson Silva. He took Silva the distance, though, and that didn’t happen again in 13 fights.
Fighting was Murray’s day job: He moonlighted as a hoodlum. (Or perhaps it was the other way around.)" ... ...
Swick vs Kampmann in the works for UFC 103
A welterweight contest between Mike Swick and Martin Kampmann is likely for UFC 103, MMAWeekly.com has learned from sources close to the fight.
While bout agreements have not been signed, both parties have agreed to the match-up.
UFC 103 is expected to take place on Sept. 19 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, the promotion’s second trip to the Lone Star State. The event has yet to be announced by the UFC.
UFC scores television deal in China, boasts of 240 million potential viewers
The Ultimate Fighting Championship's worldwide television audience could expand significantly following today's announcement that the UFC has struck a TV deal with Inner Mongolia Television.
It's the UFC's first-ever TV deal in China.
Inner Mongolia Television, known as NMTV, is available in 80 million households with the potential to reach 240 million viewers throughout all provinces of China, according to today's announcement.
Drew Fickett Hits Bottom; Fight With Shannon Ritch Canceled Due to Intoxication
"The Master" was booked to face prolific submission victim Shannon Ritch at a Rage in the Cage event, and was barred from fighting because he showed up intoxicated. As Ritch explained on the UG:
I showed up to fight, made weight- and waited for Drew.
Drew finally showed up, saw him with the DR. Pre fight physcial and YEP- he was a little waisted. Police were out front they gave Drew a breath- a- lizer- I believe I heard them say he blew a .18 (2X the legal limit.)
Din Thomas Upset Over Being Pulled From Ultimate Chaos
Din Thomas, who was forced to withdraw from his contest at Ultimate Chaos on Saturday against Javier Vasquez, is upset over the circumstances surrounding his withdrawal.
"I got to 146.6 and when I asked the athletic commission if I was okay, they said ‘yes.' It made sense because some commissions allow you a two-pound allowance. So I left the stage and started drinking right away to get re-hydrated. Javier's camp then apparently told the commission that they wanted me to cut the extra half-pound. So I tried and damn near killed myself in the sauna. It didn't make sense — if Javier wanted me to cut the weight why wasn't I told on the stage? I would have dropped my drawers and made it."
Thomas was forced to withdraw after he began feeling ill attempting to cut the weight to make the 145lb limit. Mark Kergosien replaced Thomas and ended up losing by submission in the first round.
Jorge Rivera signs new four-fight deal with UFC
Eight-year veteran Jorge Rivera (16-7 MMA, 5-5 UFC) recently signed a new four-fight contract with the UFC, according to a new report from the Boston Herald.
Rivera's April split-decision win over Nissen Osterneck, his 10th for the UFC, completed his prior contract.
The 37-year-old has been rehabbing an injured left shoulder since the April win.
props Jorge, can't wait to see you back in the cage