FAO UK Fans - ESPN TO SHOW THE NEW SERIES OF THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER
The series will kick off with a two hour special airing on Tuesday 22nd January at 1am on ESPN
London, UK – ESPN is set to air the 17th series of the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s long-running reality show: The Ultimate Fighter. The highly anticipated series will be headed up by UFC Champion Jon “Bones” Jones and Chael Sonnen, who will lead two teams of seven Middleweights in the hope of winning a coveted contract with the UFC.
Ortiz: 'Going to be tough,' but Santos might make UFC's 135-pound limit
With his own fighting career over, UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz is instead focused on his management career and first client, who could soon be heading to the UFC's 135-pound women's division.
Ortiz recently signed embattled ex-Strikeforce featherweight champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos (10-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC), who recently served a one-year suspension due to a failed drug test for an anabolic steroid.
However, while the former 145-pound champion initially dismissed the idea of getting down to 135 pounds for a potential superfight with newly crowned UFC champ Ronda Rousey (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC), Ortiz breathed some new life into the possibility – but there are conditions...
UFC announces list of Strikeforce fighters added to its roster (so far)
The confirmed list of Strikeforce fighters signed to UFC (so far) courtesy of UFC Tonight on FUEL TV:
Daniel Cormier (11-0)
Gegard Mousasi (33-3-2)
Gian Villante (10-3)
Roger Gracie (6-1)
Tim Kennedy (15-4)
Lorenz Larkin (13-0)
Luke Rockhold (10-1)
Ronaldo Souza (17-3)
Roger Bowling (11-3)
Jason High (16-3)
Nate Marquardt (32-11-2)
Tarec Saffiedine (14-3)
Bobby Voelker (24-8)
Ryan Couture (6-1)
Pat Healy (29-16)
Kurt Holobaugh (8-1)
Adriano Martins (24-6)
Gilbert Melendez (21-2)
K.J. Noons (11-6)
Josh Thomson (19-5)
Number Of Strikeforce Fighters Headed For The UFC
A number of fighters were mentioned during Tuesday night's episode of UFC Tonight as signing UFC contracts from Strikeforce. The promotion folded after its last show this past Saturday night.
Strikefore middleweight champion Luke Rockhold and Gegard Mousasi were among those mentioned, along with Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza, Tim Kennedy, Roger Gracie and Lorenz Larkin from the 185- and 205-pound divisions.
Tarec Saffiedine, who captured the Strikeforce welterweight title from Nate Marquardt, is headed to the UFC, along with Roger Bowling, Jason High and Bobby Voelker. At lightweight, Josh Thomson will join Gilbert Melendez inside the Octagon.
Lightweights K.J. Noons, Pat Healy and Adriano Martins have moved over, along with Ryan Couture, the son of UFC Hall of Famer Randy. They will become the first father-son duo to compete for the UFC.
Kurt Holobaugh, who debuted in Strikeforce at lightweight and lost to Healy, has signed with the UFC and will enter the featherweight ranks.
Free agent Josh Barnett: The right deal is needed to make me exclusive to the UFC
Entering into a free-agency period before his next contract, Josh Barnett wants to mix fighting with other pursuits.
"It would take the right kind of deal to get me to be locked into some place entirely and exclusively," he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
While battling the flu, Barnett (32-6 MMA, 3-1 SF) closed out a two-fight deal with a first-round submission over Nandor Guelmino (11-4 MMA, 0-1 SF) at "Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine" this past Saturday.
Already better a day later, he said it feels good to be "a healthy guy able to fight wherever he wants."
Rampage blasts UFC, doesn't respect Teixiera
On todays Press Conference Call Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson blasted the UFC for there unfair treatment and lack of respect for fighters. Rampage was asked why he was leaving the UFC. When asked his primary reason for leaving the UFC he started off by saying he didn't want to go into it and then said the following:
Rampage can't bring Reebok sponsorship into UFC
"My reasons for wanting to leave the UFC are still the same. Matchmaking is just one of the reasons. It's nothing about money. I've done this interview several times before and don't want to go into it. I have a new reason. I'm sponsored by Reebok and UFC says I can't wear Reebok in the cage. Stupid stuff like that. It's not about money, it's about respect. I'd rather take a money cut to go to another show and get appreciated. I'm sponsored by Reebok, just not allowed to wear it in the cage. I can't wear Reebok while I fight. I think in my opinion, the fighters do a lot for the sport and we're not taken care of well enough. I feel like they're getting rich off of all of us. We're having surgeries and injuries and some of these guys can't afford to pay sparring partners and stuff like that. I don't want to be a part of the sport like that. I want to go where they treat their fighters like human beings."
Benson Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez, Daniel Cormier vs. Frank Mir Confirmed For UFC On Fox 7
A pair of highly-interesting bouts have been confirmed for UFC on Fox 7, as Benson Henderson will defend his UFC lightweight title against Gilbert Melendez in the main event. Also, Frank Mir and Daniel Cormier will finally collide after having their initial bout postponed due to Mir's injury.
The card goes down April 20 from San Jose and the HP Pavilion. UFC officials have made both fights official for the evening.
Henderson (18-2) will be taking on the last Strikeforce lightweight champion in Melendez (21-2). "Bendo" recently defeated Nate Diaz, a teammate and close friend of Melendez.
Cormier (11-0) is set to make his UFC debut after capturing the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix last year. He was expected to meet Mir (16-6), a former UFC heavyweight champion, but Mir was forced out after a training injury.
Ronda Rousey: Georges St. Pierre is popular because he's 'good-looking' and Canadian
UFC women's bantamweight champion has a well-deserved reputation for just saying what she thinks, and that trend continued recently. In a recent interview with the Las Vegas Review Journal, Rousey was asked about a variety of subjects including judo, her "bad girl attitude". But without a doubt, the most interesting comments she made were in reference to the UFC welterweight champion, Georges St. Pierre.
Despite Strikeforce loss to Pat Healy, Kurt Holobaugh headed to UFC
Kurt Holobaugh may have come out on the short end of a decision loss to Pat Healy on Saturday in his major-promotion debut, but it won't keep him out of the UFC.
Holobaugh (8-1 MMA, 0-1 SF) dropped a unanimous decision to Pat Healy (29-16 MMA, 7-1 SF) on the preliminary card of "Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine" in Oklahoma City, falling with a pair of 30-27 scores and a 29-28.
But Holobaugh apparently did enough to impress the UFC brass that he should get a shot there now that Strikeforce is no more. The Louisiana native has signed a UFC deal, sources close to him on Tuesday confirmed to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com)
The Forward Roll - Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine edition
Over the last few days, there has been some confusion about whether all of the Strikeforce fighters will be transferred over to the UFC. Many of them will. Strikeforce contracts were owned by the same parent company as the UFC, so they are legally transferrable. Others won't make it, either because they are victims of losses that will see them cut, or have become free agents with price tags that Zuffa does not want to meet.
Josh Barnett right now seems in danger of falling into the last category. Barnett's fight deal expired with his Saturday night win, and the UFC hasn't tipped their hand regarding their interest in bringing him into the fold...
Anthony Pettis – “No More Mr. Nice Guy, I’m Going to Get My Title Shot”
Anthony Pettis had to hear the news like everyone else recently that former Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez would get the next crack at Benson Henderson and the UFC lightweight title.
Since defeating Henderson in the final WEC fight to close out 2010, Pettis has been waiting for a shot at the belt, only to have delays, rematches and now other opponents step in the way of him receiving his long awaited crack at the title...
Longtime featherweight veteran Javier Vazquez retires from MMA
After 13 years and 21 fights in mixed martial arts, 35 year-old Javier Vasquez is hanging up the gloves for good.
"Showtime" has no time for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).Former World Extreme Cagefighting(WEC) featherweight standout Javier Vazquez announced his retirement this week after compiling a 16-5 record in the sport of mixed martial arts (MMA), including just one win in his lone appearance inside the Octagon, a unanimous decision victory over Joe Stevenson back in June 2011.
Vazquez, who still has fights remaining on his ZUFFA contract, explains his decision to sherdog.com