UFC Announces Brilz vs. Schafer on Versus
The Ultimate Fighting Championship on Thursday announced additional bouts for UFC on Versus 1, the promotion’s debut on the sports network home of its sister promotion, World Extreme Cagefighting.
A light heavyweight bout pitting Jason Brilz against Eric “Red” Schafer was added to the March 21 card, and the previously reported fight between James Irvin and Alessio Sakara was confirmed.
Brilz (17-2-1) is coming off of a loss after a 13-fight unbeaten run. He lost a unanimous decision to Eliot Marshall – who faces Vladimir Matyushenko on the Versus card – at UFC 103 in Dallas. Brilz won his first two bouts in the Octagon.
Schafer (11-4-2) is making his second tour of duty in the UFC. He went 1-2 in his first go around, but has flipped that around this time, defeating Houston Alexander and Antonio Mendes before losing his last bout to Ryan Bader.
Terry Etim vs. Rafael dos Anjos in the works for UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi
A lightweight match-up between British fighter Terry Etim (14-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) and Brazilian Rafael dos Anjos (13-4 MMA, 2-2 UFC) is close to being finalized for UFC 112 in April.
Sources close to the bout told MMAjunkie.com (mmajunkie.com) that both parties have agreed to the fight and hope to sign bout agreements shortly.
The match-up was first reported by British-based Fighters Only magazine.
A press conference formally announcing UFC 112 for April 10 in Abu Dhabi is expected for next Wednesday, according to Yahoo! Sports. The event could take place in an outdoor arena – constructed specifically for the promotion's first trip to the Middle East – which would mark the first outdoor show in UFC history.
WEC officially adds Casimir vs. Lamas, Davis vs. Taurosevicius to WEC 47
The WEC today officially added two bouts to its upcoming WEC 47 event as Bendy Casimir (19-5-2 MMA, 0-0 WEC) vs. Ricardo Lamas (7-1 MMA, 2-1 WEC) and L.C. Davis (15-2 MMA, 2-0 WEC) vs. Deividas Taurosevicius (12-3 MMA, 2-0 WEC) were announced on the organization's official Twitter account.
The organization did not specify if the contests would take place on the evening's Versus-televised main card or un-aired preliminary card.
Phillipe Nover Says He's '100% Fine' Following Recent Health Scare
When Dana White called Phillipe Nover "the next Georges St-Pierre" prior to the eighth season of The Ultimate Fighter, the MMA community's expectations for the Brooklyn-born fighter immediately skyrocketed. Unfortunately for Nover, things have gone downhill for him since: he lost the TUF 8 finale to Efrain Escudero and then lost via controversial stoppage to Kyle Bradley at UFC 98. Then, prior to his UFN 19 fight against Sam Stout, Nover fainted backstage and was rushed to the hospital. The health scare forced him out of the bout and left many questioning whether he would ever fight again.
Gleison Tibau vs. Caol Uno likely for UFC Fight Night 21 in March
The UFC's busy March schedule is rapidly filling, and a lightweight matchup between Gleison Tibau (20-6 MMA, 5-3 UFC) and Caol Uno (25-12-5 MMA, 3-4-2 UFC) is the latest likely addition to the plans.
Tibau and Uno have verbally agreed to meet at UFC Fight Night 21 on March 31 in North Carolina, and bout agreements are expected to be finalized shortly.
News of the matchup was first reported by Brazilian outlet Tatame.com, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since verified the report with sources close to the event.
Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Brown official for UFC 111 prelims in March
An intriguing welterweight matchup between veteran submission ace Ricardo Almeida (11-3 MMA, 4-3 UFC) and slugger Matt Brown (11-7 MMA, 4-1 UFC) is now official for "UFC 111: St-Pierre vs. Hardy."
The UFC today officially announced the contest, which is slotted for the evening's preliminary card but seems an obvious choice for a potential Spike TV slot should the network elect to air a few undercard bouts.
UFC 111 takes place March 27 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., with a pay-per-view championship double-header.
Coleman talks Couture & Canceling Christmas
Mark Coleman “The Hammer is ready for The Natural”
PDG: There has been mention that injuries were taking their toll on you but it almost seems like a blessing in disguise; instead of fighting someone that has been out of the game for 18 months, you are headlining UFC 109 against Randy Couture.
Mark Coleman: That is exactly what this sport is all about and sometimes it's just about being in the right place at the right time. When I was hurt and couldn’t fight Tito Ortiz I was devastated because at the time I felt that nothing could match the magnitude of that fight. I had no idea what was waiting in the wings and I certainly didn't anticipate fighting Randy Couture but yes in hindsight it was definitely a blessing in disguise and in my mind and that of most of the fans this is definitely a bigger fight than one with Tito Ortiz but I still wouldn't mind getting a piece of that douche bag when the time comes.
ABC President urges Edmonton to revert to Unified Rules
Top MMA News received a copy of a letter today from the head of the Association of Boxing Commissions that was sent to the Executive Director of the Edmonton Combative Sports Commission – Pat Reid. The letter, dated January 20th, was in reference to the proposed changes to the MMA rules that the Edmonton Commission regulates.
“This correspondence shall place the Edmonton Combative Sports Commission on notice that the ABC is not in support of these drastic changes to the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts adopted by the ABC”
Santiago Defends Sengoku Title On 3/7 vs. Khalidov, Not Misaki
The rumor mill was unexpectedly wrong on this one-despite widespread rumors that Kazuo Misaki would face Jorge Santiago for the Sengoku Middleweight Championship on March 7 at Ryogoku Kokugikan, World Victory Road announced today that Mamed Khalidov will get the title shot instead. It was long believed that Khalidov needed to beat Joe Doerksen on 3/7 to get his shot. But instead Khalidov gets another shot at Santiago, but this time it's for the title. The first fight, which Khalidov won, was non-title.
Bellator Inks 2000 Olympian
Another piece to the Bellator Fighting Championships Season 2 puzzle has fallen into place, as the promotion on Wednesday announced the signing of 2000 Olympic judoka Ferrid Kheder. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.The 34-year-old joins undefeated Canadian Mike Ricci in an eight-man lightweight tournament, the winner of which will earn a shot at Bellator champion Eddie Alvarez. Kheder trains under Shawn Tompkins in Las Vegas and has won 11 of his last 12 fights.
Strikeforce Signs Villasenor
Joey Villasenor signed a four-fight deal with Strikeforce on Monday, Sherdog.com has learned.Villasenor, a longtime member of the formidable Jackson Mixed Martial Arts Team, had previously split his time between Strikeforce and the now defunct EliteXC organization. The 35-year-old middleweight striker has won five of his last six bouts, including victories against Phil Baroni and Ryan Jensen, as well as a split decision over Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos in a Strikeforce event last June.
Manitoba defending health care after bashing by UFC champ Brock Lesnar
WINNIPEG - Manitoba does not provide "Third World" medical care, provincial health officials said following a public bashing from UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar.
Health Minister Theresa Oswald said she's willing to listen - and act on - criticism of the provincial health-care system. But she said she's a little more skeptical about comments from a self-proclaimed "conservative Republican" speaking out against the socialization of American health care.
"I will listen to critics and learn from critics but also evaluate the point of view from which they're coming," she said Thursday. "This is more about partisan American politics and bashing American health-care reform, and I'm not particularly interested in getting engaged in that. Canada has lots to be proud of in terms of providing health care for everyone.
Kaufman vs. Hashi For 135-Pound Women's Title
While Cris "Cyborg" Santos is readying for the first defense of her 145-pound Strikeforce women's title, the promotion is about to crown a 135-pound women's champion for the first time ever. Undefeated Canadian star Sarah Kaufman returns to action to face Japanese fighter Takayo Hashi.
Razor Rob Joins Tito Ortiz On TUF11
Former WEC lightweight champion “Razor” Rob McCullough is joining longtime training partner Tito Ortiz as a coach on the upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter reality series on Spike TV.McCullough posted the news on his web site Wednesday, saying, “So I am one of the assistant coaches for this season’s Ultimate Fighter show. I will be helping coach Tito Ortiz versus Chuck Liddell's team.”
Whoa..."Krazy Horse" Bennett Assaulted a Teammate with a Piece of Steel?
Remember when we said it would make for a better story if "Krazy Horse" Bennett's arrest for battery had actually happened at the gym where he trains? Well, in this case 'better' means much, much worse. According to details on the situation that Sherdog.com acquired from a representative of the FIT NHB gym where the incident took place, Bennett assaulted a teammate with a length of steel during a training session and had to be restrained by other fighters in the gym.
Paulo Filho bets on Belfort against Anderson
Paulo Filho will be back to Brazilian stages on Bitetti Combat 6, and he’s already training for the combat. The organization of the event didn’t confirm who’s going to be the opponent of the black belt, but the black belt revealed to TATAME.com that his opponent may be Marvin Eastman. In interview to TATAME.com , Filho talked about the next UFC fights, as Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort and the return of Rodrigo Minotauro and Wanderlei Silva, and the possibility of Ricardo Arona signing with the UFC.
Rolles: BJJ is the weapon to beat Lesnar
Gracie family, responsible for the creation of UFC, saw only one of his representatives to fight on the octagon. Although, years after Royce to win 11 fights on the tournament, will be Rolles Gracie’s turn, son of the legend Rolls, to debut on Ultimate.