Jordan Mein vs. Emil Meek targeted for UFC 206
Another fight is close to being added to UFC 206.
Jordan Mein (26-10) vs. Emil Meek (8-2-1, 1 NC) is currently slated to be on the Dec. 10 card in Toronto, MMA Fighting has learned. The promotion has yet to officially announce the fight.
The fight will mark Mein's first since deciding to retire from MMA last year. The Canadian-born Mein, who announced his return in September, made his MMA debut in 2006 as a 16-year-old. He hasn't fought since Jan. 2015.
UFC says Georges St-Pierre is still under Zuffa contract
It doesn't seem like this will be a clean break.
In a statement sent out Monday, the UFC said the former welterweight champion remains under contract and implied there could be a legal battle in the near future.
"Georges St-Pierre remains under an existing agreement with Zuffa, LLC as his MMA promoter," the statement read. "Zuffa intends to honor its agreement with St-Pierre and reserves its rights under the law to have St-Pierre do the same."
Brazilian MMA athletic commission approves use of instant replay
The Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (CABMMA) has approved the use of instant replay in MMA bouts, it was announced on Monday.
According to the commission, referees will be able to ask for an instant replay to confirm whether or not a foul has occurred in the end of the bout, and determine if the fight should be ruled a no-contest, go to a technical decision, or disqualify an athlete.
CABMMA explained that the referee can’t opt to restart the bout after watching the replay.
WSOF 34, WSOF 35 scrapped and merged into year-end card at Madison Square Garden
World Series of Fighting is investing a lot in its first trip to New York.
WSOF president Ray Sefo announced on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour that the promotion’s upcoming cards, scheduled for Nov. 12 and Dec. 3, will be scrapped in order to boost the promotion’s show at The Theater at Madison Square Garden on Dec. 31.
WSOF 34 was set to take place at the Budweiser Events Center in Loveland, Colo., on Nov. 12, and feature a welterweight title bout between Jon Fitch and Jake Shields in the main event. WSOF 35 was scheduled for XFINITY Arena in Everett, Wash..
Fitch vs. Shields will be moved to Dec. 31 and co-headline the show. In the main event, WSOF lightweight champion Justin Gaethje puts his title on the line against Joao Zeferino. The third fight of the main card features bantamweight champion Marlon Moraes, and Sefo said his opponent will be announced later this week.
The main card will air on NBC between 4-6 p.m. ET. The preliminary portion of the show, which will be headlined by Yushin Okami vs. Paul Bradley on NBC Sports, will also include two other match-ups and start at 3 p.m. ET, Sefo said.
According to Sefo, the fighters originally booked for Nov. 12 and Dec. 3 who won’t compete on Dec. 31 are expected to fight on its following show, which takes place Jan. 20 in Las Vegas.
Paddy Pimblett vs Julian Erosa and Chris Fishgold vs Herron-Webb set for CW Unplugged
Cage Warriors owner Graham Boylan announced tonight on the Cage Warriors 79 broadcast that Paddy Pimblett (12-1) will defend his Cage Warriors featherweight strap against Julian Erosa (17-3) and that Cage Warriors lightweight champion Chris Fishgold (15-1-1) will defend his title against Nic Herron-Webb (18-7) on 12th November 2016.
The bouts will take place at “CW Unplugged” at the BT Sport studios and will air live on BT Sport. The event will serve as the lead in to UFC 205: Alvarez vs McGregor from Madison Square Garden which will also be shown live on BT Sport.
Despite reports, Vitor Belfort says he's not retiring: 'The Phenom' is back
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort isn’t hanging up the gloves just yet, despite what you may have read.
MMAjunkie today confirmed with “The Phenom” what an Instagram post some took to serve as a retirement announcement was nothing of the sort.
“I’m not retired,” Belfort said emphatically. “I want to fight again soon.
“I am driven to get back on my feet and honor the nickname I so proudly carry. ‘The Phenom’ is back.”
Tony Ferguson suggests UFC champion Conor McGregor stole his lines, says he started predicting fights first
it shouldn't come as a surprise that one of the more outspoken lightweights in UFC today, No. 3 ranked contender Tony Ferguson, set his crosshairs on McGregor in recent talks. As a matter of fact, "El Cucuy" believes McGregor owes much of his trashtalking ways to him.
"That dude stole all my quotes, bro!" said Ferguson during a recent episode of Chael Sonnen's You're Welcome podcast (h/t BJPenn.com). "My direct quote that I said when I fought Abel Trujillo, before McNuggets even stepped into the picture, was ‘I don't look past my opponents, I look through them.' Look at the timeline, check that shit out, and get back to me."
"I said that I was gonna call my shots, even via D'Arce against Mike Rio," added Ferguson, who has the same management team as McGregor. "My management went and told Conor, ‘hey, in the next interview, I'll tell you what, why don't you predict your fights, and that way it'll come back towards you and it'll be great.'"
Conor McGregor warns Nate Diaz to avoid trilogy fight, says 'cash your money and bounce'
While McGregor is drawn to fights that offer the biggest payouts and most notoriety, he doesn't believe a trilogy fight with Nate Diaz is in his immediate future. In fact, "Notorious" is warning the Stockton native to stay away, having this to say in a recent interview with The LAD Bible:
"I think potentially so. The more I think about it Nate is going to be... There was a lot of damage done to Nathan in that last fight. You know looking at his face it just didn't look the same. I know those close to him will understand what I am talking about. So there could be a potential fight maybe down the line for the lightweight belt after I win this one. To see him have to make the weight. And then to see the damage that he took in the last fight and then come in at a much lower weight.. It wouldn't end good for him. So I'd imagine and I would probably hope that his people close to him would stop him from doing it. It's done now. Cash your money and bounce."
Following UFC Manila cancellation, Horiguchi vs. Bagautinov moves to UFC Belfast
Today would've been UFC Fight Night: Lamas vs. Penn in The Philippines, but BJ Penn suffered an injury and withdrew from the card, and the event was scrapped just days later. One of the key matchups on the card was a flyweight matchup between Ali Bagautinov and Kyoji Horiguchi, and it's not taken long for it to be rescheduled for another card. SportsJoe.ie reports that Horiguchi/Bagautinov is now set for UFC Fight Night 99 on Saturday, November 19th.
Brazil's Francimar Barroso meets England's Darren Stewart at UFC Fight Night 100 in Sao Paulo
Another fight has been made official for next month’s UFC return to Brazil, and the card likely is complete with a dozen fights.
Brazil’s Francimar Barroso (18-5 MMA, 3-2 UFC) is official for a light heavyweight bout against the debuting Darren Stewart (7-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC), the promotion recently confirmed. That gives the UFC Fight Night 100 lineup 12 fights with a main card expected to feature five bouts following seven on the prelims.
UFC Fight Night 100 takes place Nov. 19 at Ibirapuera Gymnasium in Sao Paulo. It airs on FS1 following early prelims on UFC Fight Pass.
UFC middleweight Gegard Mousasi says Conor McGregor threatened him with a 'knife'
News is out, per a Flo Combat report, that Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight Gegard Mousasi was threatened with a knife by featherweight champion Conor McGregor. According to Mousasi, he and McGregor went back-and-forth in private messages after Mousasi's post-fight press conference rant at UFC 204, including a bashing of McGregor, which quickly escalated to a serious level.
Dana White: Ronda Rousey's biggest issues were with the media
During this time and the rampant speculation that Rousey may never return though, UFC President Dana White was always adamant that she would fight again. As we now know, White was correct and recently he went on the Fox Sports Live with Jay and Dan to discuss Rousey's return.
It wasn't just the injuries and the vacation that kept Rousey away though. Rousey's comments about suicide paint a much darker picture which played a role in Rousey's continued absence from the octagon. For his part, White believes the media coverage of Rousey played a big role in Rousey's depression.