December 2011 MMA News Archive - Page 8
Do you have a hot MMA story or news item that you have found and would like to share? Simply read the instructions, then post it to our MMA News Share Forum to have it display here for the community to read on this page.
Carlos Newton retires from MMA
According to Mike Russell on CagePotato, MMA legend Carlos Newton has quietly retired in a dignified manner, and has changed his priorities in life and the sport. “I’m retired,” Newton explained. “The sport just isn’t as competitive as it used to be,” Newton said in an interview with CP. “I’m just concentrating on helping to improve the regulation of the sport and I’m looking into becoming a judge. I think that as fighters we have a lot more knowledge and insight into the intricacies of what’s going on in a fight than someone who has never competed. MMA judging needs fixing and I’m hoping I can help do it.” Newton had a storied career in MMA, with his most shining moment when he submitted Pat Miletich at UFC 31 by bulldog choke in a dramatic welterweight title match. Matt Hughes would beat Newton for it at UFC 34 via a controversial powerbomb, another highlight reel moment for both men. Newton also fought in Pride FC, and coached and fought in the IFL. Newton, who ended his career with a record of 16-4, will continue teaching MMA, while he attends architecture school simultaneously. “I’ll always be involved with the sport,” he said. “Definitely.” We wish Newton good luck in his future endeavors, no matter what they may be.
Cesar Gracie Thinks Georges St. Pierre Should Be Stripped of Title
LayzieTheSavage of Middle Easy reached out to Cesar Gracie to get his thoughts on Georges St. Pierre's injury. Gracie is Nick Diaz' long time trainer and manager and has played an important role in Diaz' development from mid-tier UFC fighter to welterweight title contender. As usual with Gracie, he is very honest in his assessment of the situation and doesn't pull any punches when discussing the extent of St. PIerre's injury. St. Pierre has been out of action since fighting Jake Shields earlier this year at UFC 129 and with the news that he could be out for 10 months with a blown out ACL, Georges and the welterweight title will be sidelined for close to two years. The UFC has announced that Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit will be fighting for the interim title while GSP recovers from his injuries. Because of this extended time off, Gracie believes that St. Pierre should be stripped of his title. His reasoning isn't off base either. Fans don't view interim champions as the "real" champion and a champion should be active in his defenses. Gracie believes that Carlos Condit could actually be a tougher opponent for Diaz than St. Pierre. His assessment is that Condit is a more dangerous fighter because he doesn't fight safe. He is a bigger fighter than St. Pierre and has more power in his hands. It should also be commended that Gracie also doesn't allow himself to get baited into calling the injury fake when Layzie attempts to lead the conversation in that direction.
Mike Pierce wants Josh Koscheck at UFC 143, points to previous 'skirting'
Josh Koscheck is without an opponent at UFC 143. Mike Pierce has some free time and the desire to give fans what they want. And what do fans want? "For whatever reason – it's nothing personal – Josh Koscheck is just one of those guys that everybody loves to hate," Pierce today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "They want to see Koscheck get his ass beat. I want to be his personal Dan Henderson." If it isn't clear by now, Pierce (13-4 MMA, 5-2 UFC) is calling out Koscheck (16-5 MMA, 14-5 UFC). Koscheck was scheduled to fight Carlos Condit at the Feb. 4 event, which takes place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The bout was scheduled for the pay-per-view main-card before champ Georges St-Pierre blew out his knee and was forced to withdraw from a title fight with Nick Diaz. Condit was then promoted to fight Diaz for the interim welterweight title.
UFC to announce new 125-pound flyweight class this weekend
The UFC is going to strike while the iron is hot. Following a successful lighter-weights season of "The Ultimate Fighter" reality series on Spike TV, the UFC is going even lighter and adding a 125-pound flyweight division. UFC president Dana White confirmed the long-rumored division – which will be the UFC's eighth – should be announced within the next few days. "It's happening," he said. "I told you guys it's happening, and it's happening." When? "This weekend," White said after Wednesday's UFC on FOX 2 press conference in Chicago (before hopping on a jet to Toronto for this weekend's UFC 140 event). "I should have something by this weekend."
Big Nog Still Wants Heavyweight Title But Never Against Dos Santos
Two hip surgeries and a knee surgery behind him, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira is finally healthy and ready to get back to his championship form from just a few years ago. The next step to that goal is facing old foe Frank Mir at UFC 140 this weekend. If he’s successful, Nogueira is hopeful to still face the top of the heavyweight division, and dreams of reclaiming the title, but there’s one small caveat to that plan. Nogueira has no plans to ever face his good friend and student Junior Dos Santos, so if he’s the champion, the former Pride king will happily face other top level competition.
Strikeforce champ 'Cyborg' Santos considering 135; Coker OK with Tate-Rousey
If Strikeforce is able to renew a deal with Showtime and extend its run on the premium-cable station beyond February, no shortage of storylines is emerging for its female fighters. Two big ones came out today during a Strikeforce media call. For one, Strikeforce women's featherweight champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos is considering a move down to 135 pounds – a division that could soon see champ Miesha Tate take on fast-rising Olympian Ronda Rousey.
UFC 140's Tito Ortiz eyes third fight with Forrest Griffin, 2012 retirement
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz may finally be ready to call it quits. On the eve of his UFC 140 matchup with fellow longtime vet Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Ortiz believes he's finally – thankfully – healthy, but that's precisely the point. With kids at home that need a father, Ortiz remembers what it was like to have absentee parents. And with all that fighting has given to him over the years, Ortiz refuses to let the sport take away future quality time with his family.
'Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine' adds Lawler-Amagov, Lawal-Larkin, Saffiedine-Stinson
Strikeforce's rumored Jan. 7 event is now official. The show, "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine," features a middleweight title fight between champion Luke Rockhold (8-1 MMA, 7-0 SF) and Keith Jardine (17-9-2 MMA, 0-0-1 SF). Other bouts slated for the night's Showtime-televised main card include middleweights Robbie Lawler (18-8 MMA, 2-4 SF) vs. Adlan Amagov (9-1-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC), light heavyweights Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal (8-1 MMA, 3-1 SF) vs. Lorenz Larkin (12-0 MMA, 3-0 SF), and welterweights Tarec Saffiedine (11-3 MMA, 3-1 SF) vs. Tyler Stinson (22-7 MMA, 1-0 SF). The event takes place The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas. It's Strikeforce's first event of 2012.
Bruno Carvalho Signs With Maximum Fighting, Faces Dhiego Lima In Debut At MFC 32
Carvalho charts course to meet Lima at MFC 32 Welterweight showdown completes lineup for Bitter Rivals main card Press Release – The Maximum Fighting Championship’s arduous search for a fitting opponent to take on Dhiego “Maluco” Lima at MFC 32: Bitter Rivals has come to fruition. Stepping up to battle the undefeated welterweight prospect Lima (6-0) is judo and Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Bruno “BC” Carvalho, who has signed a multi-fight deal with the MFC. Carvalho (13-5), who was born in Brazil and now splits his home base between Sweden and the United States, has won eight of his last nine fights, and will be Lima’s toughest test to date when they square-off on main card of the HDNet Fights broadcast emanating live from the Mayfield Conference Centre in Edmonton, Alberta, on Friday, January 27
Bellator inks polarizing fighter War Machine
Bellator has signed War Machine (formerly known as Jon Koppenhaver before a legal name change). Again. The 29-year-old fighter first joined Bellator in 2009 but was released soon afterward due to disparaging political comments he posted. Now, fresh off a victory over fellow UFC vet Roger Huerta in a regional show, he's rejoined the organization, Bellator officials today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). A debut date and opponent have not been released for the former cast member of "The Ultimate Fighter 6." "Jon's not had an easy road," stated Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney while pointing to the fighter's family troubles and death of his fighter. "And there's no doubt he's made some poor choices, but after having had conversations with him since his release, he really seems to understand where and why things went wrong and wants to make them right. ... I hope he's able to turn this second chance into something positive."
UFC 139 drug tests for steroids come back clean
Two weeks ago, the California State Athletic Commission confirmed that all UFC 139 fighters tested clean for recreational/drugs of abuse. Today, a CSAC rep told MMAjunkie.com that steroid tests also came back clean for this past month's event. UFC 139 took place Nov. 19 at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.
Sparks fly at today's contender-heavy UFC on FOX 2 press conference
The sound bites were flying today at a press conference announcing UFC on FOX 2, and there were contenders aplenty. All six fighters sitting on the dais at Chicago's United Center are in the hunt for a UFC title. Two of them have to fight a friend to get there. As expected, the winner of Mark Munoz vs. Chael Sonnen fights middleweight champ Anderson Silva, and the winner of Rashad Evans vs. Phil Davis is next for the light-heavyweight title.
Dustin Jacoby vs. Chris Camozzi added to UFC on FOX 2
A middleweight bout between Dustin Jacoby and Chris Camozzi has been added to next month's UFC on FOX 2 event. Officials today announced the fight, which likely will earn the loser his UFC walking papers. UFC on FOX 2 takes place Jan. 28 at Chicago's United Center. The night's main card, which features three bouts, airs on FOX. However, Jacoby vs. Camozzi will be part of the preliminary card.
UFC on Fox 2 to Determine Three Title Contenders
Not only is the UFC unleashing a triple-header for its second offer on Fox, the marquee fights will determine the next contenders to both the UFC light heavyweight and middleweight championships. The UFC is going big on Jan. 28 at the United Center in Chicago. UFC on Fox 2 features Rashad Evans vs. Phil Davis in the main event, with two middleweight feature fights pitting Chael Sonnen against Mark Munoz and Michael Bisping against Demian Maia. UFC president Dana White, at Wednesday’s UFC on Fox 2 press conference in Chicago, confirmed that the winner between Evans and Davis will get a shot at the winner of the UFC 140 light heavyweight title fight between current champion Jon Jones and challenger Lyoto Machida. “Rashad Evans looked fantastic in his last fight against Tito Ortiz and he wants to get the belt back,” said White on Wednesday. “But Phil Davis is no joke. He’s undefeated at 9-0 and has stormed through guys like Brian Stann, Alexander Gustafsson and Rogerio Nogueira. He wants the title shot just as bad as Rashad.” White also noted that the winner of Sonnen and Munoz will get the next shot at Anderson Silva upon the middleweight champion’s return, and then the winner of Bisping and Maia will get the next title shot after that.
UFC on FX 1 adds Sandoval vs. Denis
A bantamweight bout between Joseph Sandoval and former World Victory Road/Sengoku fighter Nick Denis has been added to next month's UFC on FX 1 event. Additionally, officials have confirmed a bout MMAjunkie.com previously reported: welterweights Charlie Brenneman vs. Daniel Roberts. UFC on FX 1 takes place Jan. 20 at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tenn.
Ramsey Nijem out, Danny Castillo in against Anthony Njoukani at UFC 141
Ramsey Nijem (5-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) has suffered an undisclosed injury, and Danny Castillo (12-4 MMA, 2-1 UFC) has taken his place in a UFC 141 fight with fellow lightweight Anthony Njokuani (14-5 MMA, 1-1 UFC). UFC officials today announced the change. UFC 141 takes place Dec. 30 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. While the main card airs on pay-per-view, Castillo vs. Njoukani is slated to air as part of Spike TV's two-bout "UFC Prelims" special.
BREAKING NEWS: GSP has blown ACL - out 10 more months. Condit/Diaz for interim WW Title on Feb 4th.
A serious injury has forced Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) out of UFC 143's main event and will sideline him for 10 months. With the titleholder shelved due to an ACL injury, officials have booked his original opponent, Nick Diaz (26-7 MMA, 7-4 UFC), to meet Carlos Condit (27-5 MMA, 4-1 UFC) for an interim belt in the event's new headliner. UFC president Dana White today tweeted the news. "GSP blown acl will be out for 10 mos.," White tweeted. "Now Condit vs Diaz for the interim welterweight title on Feb 4th in Las Vegas!!" It's not clear if Condit's original opponent at UFC 143, Josh Koscheck (16-5 MMA, 14-5 UFC), will remain on the card.
Michael Bisping vs Demian Maia fight announced for UFC on FOX 2 in Chicago
No rest for the wicked. Fresh off a three-round beatdown of Jason Miller at The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 14 Finale this past weekend (Dec. 3, 2011), Michael Bisping will return to the Octagon against former number one division contender, Demian Maia, at UFC on Fox 2. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) made the 185-pound showdown, which will take place at the United Center in Chicago, Ill., on Jan. 28, 2012, official earlier this morning
TUF 14 Finale medical suspensions: Miller possibly out six months with broken nose
Punches both invited and uninvited took a toll on "The Ultimate Fighter 14" coach Jason "Mayhem" Miller, and he could be suspended for up to six months unless cleared by a doctor. The Nevada State Athletic Commission today released a list of medical suspensions following The Ultimate Fighter 14 Finale, which took place this past Saturday at The Pearl and The Palms Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas. The event's main card aired live on Spike TV while preliminary-card bouts streamed on Facebook. In the event's headliner, Miller may have suffered a fractured nose before he was stopped in the third round of the five-round non-title fight by opposing "TUF 14" coach Michael Bisping, who walked away with a light suspension. A noticeable hematoma near Bisping's eye, which likely was the result of a losing first round with Miller, netted him a term of less than a month. In other notable suspensions, "TUF 14" winner Diego Brandao also is out for up to six months unless he can get his left hand and jaw cleared by an oral maxial-facial doctor. Dennis Bermudez, who dropped Brandao with a right hand in the first round before falling prey to an armbar, did not suffer any serious damage to his left arm despite hyperextending it prior to the fight, as he told MMAjunkie.com.
Submitted Dec 7, 2011 12:39AM by grappler0000 - 2 comments
Filed under: UFC, The Ultimate Fighter, MMA Personalities
Michael Bisping vs. Demian Maia to be Announced Wednesday
There has been some buzz over the past few days that Michael Bisping would be matched up with Demian Maia at UFC on Fox in his next fight following the Brit's destruction of Jason Miller. Now it seems the pieces are falling into place for that to become a reality at the Chicago press conference on Wednesday. First, just days ago, Dana White was hinting at Bisping getting a spot on the card (via ESPN): ...A collision, possibly with Demian Maia, is a "possibility" for the Fox card in January. "UFC on Fox 2 will have three headliners, we just haven't announced the other one yet," White toldMMA Fighting, having already announced Rashad Evans v Phil Davis and Sonnen v Munoz. He was then asked, 'Are you implying Bisping may be on that card as well?', to which White replied: "It's a possibility."