Anderson Silva vs. Georges St-Pierre? ‘Probably’… if GSP Beats Carlos Condit
The term super fight is often times thrown around way too liberally in the mixed martial arts game, and we in the media are as guilty as anyone of its propagation.
But when it comes to Anderson Silva and Georges St-Pierre, largely considered the top two or at least among the top three pound-for-pound fighters in the world, a fight between the two UFC champions could not be argued as anything less than deserving of the super fight moniker.
UFC president Dana White has often been vague about a fight between the two, saying that there is a lot for each to accomplish in his division. As time passes, however, he’s talking more and more specifics.
“I think if we do the fight with (Anderson Silva) and Georges St-Pierre, it would be at a catchweight; probably like 178 (pounds), something like that,” White said on Tuesday’s edition of the Dave & Mahoney show on X107.5 radio in Las Vegas.
“Georges St-Pierre says he does (want the fight),” he added. “He wants to do it, yeah.”
When asked if this could be St-Pierre’s next fight if he gets past Carlos Condit at UFC 154 in November, White even went so far to answer, “Probably.”
Bellator FC Sign the UK's fastest rising prospect that many are calling "The British Anderson Silva": Michael "Venom" Page
Fresh off defeating Jefferson George at UCMMA 29 the other night via yet another spectacular knock-out Michael Page revealed he has signed to Bellator Fighting Championships.
During his post-fight interview Page revealed the news to all in attendance at The Troxy in London. It was only a few weeks ago the Super Fight League in India also revealed that they had captured Page’s signature.
Page caught the eye of the MMA world in February after defeating Ben Dishman in spectacular fashion. His performance drew comparisons to that of UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva.
Spike TV, K-1 agree to multi-platform broadcast deal
Bellator Fighting Championships won't be the only combat-sports organization broadcasting their 2013 events on Spike TV.
Spike TV officials today announced a multi-platform broadcast deal with leading kickboxing promotion K-1 that sees four 2012 events stream on Spike.com and a series of 2013 events broadcast on Spike TV.
"We are thrilled to be in business with the world's preeminent kickboxing organization," Spike TV Senior Vice President of Sports and Multi-platform Events Jon Slusser stated. "Spike has the most passionate and knowledgeable fans of combat sports, and we are confident that they will enjoy the high-octane action of K-1, which serves as the perfect complement to our Bellator coverage next year."
Mark Bocek vs. Rafael dos Anjos added to UFC 154 in Montreal
A lightweight matchup between Canadian Mark Bocek (11-4 MMA, 7-4 UFC) and Brazilian Rafael dos Anjos (17-6 MMA, 6-4 UFC) has been added to UFC 154.
UFC officials today announced the new contest.
While a main event for UFC 154 has not yet been announced, the card is expected to feature the unification bout between UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and interim titleholder Carlos Condit. The card takes place Nov. 17 at Montreal's Bell Centre.
Joe Lauzon vs. Gray Maynard Targeted for UFC 155
A lightweight bout between Joe Lauzon (22-7 MMA, 9-4 UFC) and Gray Maynard (11-1-1 MMA, 9-1-1 UFC) is slotted for UFC 155, which is the UFC's traditional year-end event.
UFC officials today announced the fight.
Although not officially announced, UFC 155 takes place Dec. 29 in Las Vegas at a venue to be announced.
Matyushenko replaces Hollett, meets Hamill at UFC 152 in Toronto
Matt Hamill has a new opponent for his first post-retirement fight.
His original UFC 151 opponent and UFC newcomer, Roger Hollett (13-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC), has suffered an injury, and veteran Vladimir Matyushenko (26-6 MMA, 7-4 UFC) has stepped in to fight Hamill (10-4 MMA, 9-4 UFC) on short notice.
UFC officials today announced the change to the light-heavyweight fight.
Strikeforce's Coker uncertain if Tarec Saffiedine will get next welterweight title shot
SAN DIEGO – Tarec Saffiedine was hoping a win over Roger Bowling would get him a shot at a title.
"It's something we just haven't sat down to talk about," Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said at Saturday's post-event news conference, a refrain that is common with the promotion with Coker preferring to sit down with matchmaker Sean Shelby in the days and weeks following events to get a handle on what fights to make next.
Josh Thomson vs. Caros Fodor slotted for 'Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Healy'
Josh Thomson (19-5 MMA, 10-3 SF) said he's slotted to fight fellow lightweight Caros Fodor (7-2 MMA, 5-1 SF) next month at "Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Healy."
Although Strikeforce officials have made no announcement, Thomson revealed the bout to Sherdog.
"Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Healy" takes place takes place Sept. 29 at Power Balance Arena in Sacramento, Calif.
Jason “Mayhem” Miller Makes Statement Following Recent Arrest for Bizarre Burglary
[Jason] Miller allegedly broke into the Mission Hills Church in Mission Viejo, Calif., ransacking the place and spraying a fire extinguisher inside the church. Police then found him sitting naked on a couch in the church when the arrest was made.
Miller was charged with burglary and held for a medical evaluation, but has since been released on a $20,000 bail.
Though he has avoided media requests for comment since his release, Miller on Saturday took to his Facebook page to make a statement, although it did little to clarify the circumstances surrounding his recent actions.
“I know you all are probably very confused about me right now, and concerned for my well being,” wrote Miller. “I thank you for that, and please unnastand (sic) that everything is fine, and will probably make a lot more sense as time passes. Love you all.”
On Sunday, Miller opened up even more, commenting several times on Twitter, saying that what he did was something “socially unacceptable.”
“(It was) not a cry for attention, personal glory, or monetary gain,” he tweeted. “I did that in my time fighting for the UFC and have come to see I was wrong.”
Miller said little to directly explain his actions at the church, but did address those who he felt were legitimately concerned about his well being. “I am safe, with people that love me, and hope that you will join me. If I ever hurt anyone, I am sorry.”
Strikeforce “Rousey vs. Kaufman” Medical Suspensions
Derek Brunson: Suspended 45 days (no contact for 30 days) for knockout
Lumumba Sayers: Suspended 60 days (no contact for 60 days) for cuts on right eye and left scalp
T.J. Cook: Suspended 45 days (no contact for 30 days) for knockout and indefinitely or until cleared by doctor for possible neck fracture
Ovince St. Preux: Suspended 180 days (no contact for 180 days) for painful left thumb injury
Julie Kedzie: Suspended 180 days (no contact for 180 days) or until cleared by doctor for possible left shoulder rotator cuff injury.
Miesha Tate: Suspended 45 days (no contact for 30 days) for hard bout.
Keith Berry: Suspended 45 days (no contact for 30 days) for TKO and indefinitely or until cleared by doctor for hyper extension to left knee.
Hiroko Yamanaka: Suspended for 60 days (no contact for 60 days) for cut to right interior eye.
With UFC boss apparently warming, Strikeforce's Coker says female fighting here to stay
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker has long been a staunch supporter of women competing in mixed martial arts, and it seems he's quickly developing a powerful ally.
UFC President Dana White, who has often expressed concern in regards to the viability of female MMA, was cageside on Saturday in San Diego to watch women's bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey (6-0 MMA, 4-0 SF) continue her impressive streak, and Coker believes there should now be little doubt what women can bring to the sport.
"Female mixed martial arts is here to stay," Coker said on Saturday. "Look at the fights tonight. They were unbelievable. They're great athletes, and I think that tonight they showed that again."
Strikeforce champ Ronda Rousey wants 'Cyborg' next, but adamant she drop to 135
Rousey (6-0 MMA, 4-0 SF) on Saturday defended her Strikeforce women's bantamweight title, and again did it with ease, getting former champ Sarah Kaufman (15-2 MMA, 6-2 SF) to tap to her signature armbar less than a minute into the first round in San Diego.
Rousey had been in a relatively new war of words with Santos even before the Kaufman fight. And now that she has cleared her latest hurdle, Rousey wasted no time setting her sights on the Brazilian.
The first problem is that Santos (10-1 MMA, 4-0 SF), the former Strikeforce featherweight titleholder, currently is suspended after testing positive for steroids following a 16-second win over Hiroko Yamanaka this past December. (The fight was overturned to a no contest.) The yearlong shutdown means a potential Rousey-Santos fight is at least four months away, provided Santos gets re-licensed with no delays.
'Embarrassed' Sarah Kaufman wants to work way back, believes she can beat Rousey
"I'm extremely embarrassed by my performance," Kaufman told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I knew Ronda coming in was a world-class athlete and a world-class judo player. I didn't underestimate her at all – I knew she was going to be a tough fight. I'm embarrassed I wasn't able to do what I wanted to do and land the strikes I wanted to land."
Kaufman said she hopes Strikeforce matchmaker Sean Shelby, as well as CEO Scott Coker, can put something together for her to get back quickly – and start building her way back to a title fight
Strikeforce champ Luke Rockhold vs. 'Jacare' Souza rematch likely up next
With his dominant win at Saturday's "Showtime: Rousey vs. Kaufman" event, former middleweight champion Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza appears he'll get his rematch.
The former titleholder wants a shot at the man who took his belt, and that reigning champion, Luke Rockhold, apparently wants the fight too.
"To me, I'd like to see that fight happen," Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said. "I know 'Jacare' would like that fight to happen. Luke's looking for that fight, so I think it'd be an easy fight (to book)."
"I'm very prepared for anyone anytime," Souza said after his latest win. "I'm here for fights. I'm a former Strikeforce middleweight champion, and I'm coming back for more."
Coker admitted the performance will get the company executives talking.
"I think he looked pretty good, and I know Luke wanted to fight him," Coker said. "We'll start talking to 'Jacare's' camp right away. (Strikeforce matchmaker) Sean (Shelby) and I, we really haven't had a chance to talk, though. ... Give us a day or so."
Cris Cyborg Unloads after Ronda Rousey Victory; Looking to Leave Strikeforce?
Strikeforce bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey kept her unbelievable unbeaten streak intact on Saturday night in San Diego, submitting No. 1 contender Sarah Kaufman with an armbar less than a minute into their bout.
As soon as the fight was over, the talk about a possible fight between Rousey and former Strikeforce 145-pound champion Cris Cyborg Santos hit a fever pitch. Even Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, who was asked about the hypothetical bout’s stature at Saturday’s post-fight press conference, said that, if it were to come together, it would be “one of the biggest fights in the history of mixed martial arts.”
It only took a matter of minutes, however, for Cyborg to throw talk of a fight with Rousey, and Cyborg’s own future with Strikeforce, into disarray.
She quickly took to her official Twitter account after the fight, according to Tatame reporter Guilherme Cruz, saying that she was awaiting her release from Zuffa since her weight class is no more. Cyborg apparently continued that she would look elsewhere for a promotion that has her 145-pound class, specifically mentioning Invicta FC in one tweet, although that tweet appears to have been deleted a short time later.
“Guys I have not changed my weight,” Cyborg responded. “I started where I am.”
There was, in fact, a women’s featherweight fight on Saturday night’s Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman fight card. Hiroko Yamanaka and Germaine de Randamie fought at 145 pounds in a preliminary bout.
“She must be misinformed,” Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told MMAWeekly.com’s Erik Fontanez. “I don’t understand why she’d be saying that since we just had a 145-pound fight on the card tonight.”
Perhaps it’s as simple as Cyborg feeling like she’s no longer wanted.
“I want to be respected as everyone wants to be,” Cyborg noted in one of her tweets.
Miesha Tate, Ronda Rousey As Coaches On TUF? Tate All For It
Miesha Tate hopes that a win over Julie Kedzie can propel her right back into another shot at the Strikeforce bantamweight title that she once held. If, for some reason, a possible coaching position on The Ultimate Fighter also came with it, that would be fine with Tate.
Tate and Kedzie will highlight the prelim card for tonight's Strikeforce: Rousey Vs. Kaufman event on Showtime. The prelims air on Showtime Extreme from San Diego.
"I love it," said Tate, of coaching on TUF opposite Strikeforce bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, during a recent appearance on MMAWeekly Radio. "I think that would be the fight to put on it if they were going to do that. It doesn't get any better than Ronda and I; two ladies who honestly have a rival between each other."
Ian McCall Reps Reveal Details of His Arrest
According to [McCall's attorney George] Vargas:
In 2008, Ian was arrested for possession of prescription drugs without a prescription and paraphernalia. The paraphernalia was needles that he used to take the fluid out of his ears. Part of Ian’s punishment for that case was that he was to do 20 days of Cal Trans (physical labor).
The following year, Ian was having more troubles and he entered and completed a six-month residential drug treatment program at Nancy Clark’s The Recovery Center in Orange County. Ian completely turned his life around, began training hard and became the man he is today.
On June 14 of this year, Ian was pulled over for a traffic stop. He was given a ticket for PC14601 (driving on a suspended license). Ian’s license had been suspended for unpaid traffic and parking tickets.
The very next day, on June 15, Ian went to the Harbor Justice Center with his agent, and paid over $2,600 in fines. He mistakenly thought that the ticket from the previous day had been handled. A few weeks later, when the court date for that case came, Ian did not show and a warrant was issued for his arrest.
On Aug. 14, once again, Ian was stopped while driving home from the gym. At that time he was arrested for the two warrants: one for not completing the 20 days of Cal Trans work for the 2008 case, and the other for not showing up to court on the driving on a suspended license ticket that he had thought that he had handled.
Because McCall was on parole from previous charges and a warrant was issued in his name, the UFC flyweight must spend a mandatory time of 30 days in jail for his current arrest, according to his manager, Jason House of Iridium Sports.
McCall is scheduled for a Sept. 13 release date.
UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones Attempts To Clarify Recent Lyoto Machida Remarks
UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones recently said that he didn't feel like a rematch with Lyoto Machida was in his best interest. Jones cited a lack of pay-per-view revenue as the reason.
Well, after seeing the backlash on Twitter revolving around his words, Jones decided to try and explain himself.
"This is a game that I love but its also a JOB," Jones wrote. "Some people just don't understand business and I'm not saying sorry that I do."
"I get punched one good time in a fight and people think I'm scared to rematch," Jones wrote, "haha I just can't win with some of you people.. funny."