Diego Sanchez: After loss to BJ I was sucked into sin, conned out of 170k
TUF season 1 winner and UFC welterweight Diego Sanchez recently spoke with MMAWeekly Radio and shared some history about himself. After Sanchez lost his attempt to win the lightweight title from B.J. Penn at UFC 107 near the end of 2009, he suffered from what he termed a “rockstar life.”
“After I lost the B.J. Penn fight, I lost control. I lost control of life. I had just made my biggest payday and I was just down about the loss. That was my dream to become world champion, and it still is. But it was at my fingertips and the way I lost, getting cut, so brutally cut, I was beat up.
“I took the wrong path. I took the path of partying, and I was just drinking away my sorrows. I was handling the problem the wrong way.”
“I let some bad influences get into my life and it was a downward spiral. It was like a tornado sucking everything in. I let a person that I thought was a friend, a real close friend, someone that would help me with finances, I had him helping me out with stuff. Turned out I got embezzled for over $170,000. He conned me. I got conned so bad. And in the same time when I got conned, I was just wasting the money that I had earned.”
Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson Believes Jon Jones Is Spying on Him
Jackson told Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole that he believes his camp has been infiltrated by a rat.
The reason? A fan on Twitter warned Jackson that Jones had a spy in his camp. To test out the theory, "Rampage" told his gym about an "injury" to his hand. Four hours later, UFC matchmaker Joe Silva contacted Jackson's camp to inquire about the injury rumors.
Lindland: ‘You Don’t Sue Your Friends’
Not that long ago, when Team Quest was mentioned in mixed martial arts circles, two names immediately sprang to mind: Matt Lindland and Dan Henderson.
However, the two have gone their separate ways, and, in February, Henderson filed a lawsuit against Lindland in California federal court alleging trademark infringement, copyright infringement and unfair competition regarding the Team Quest brand. Lindland countersued the Strikeforce light heavyweight champion for claims including trademark and copyright infringement, unfair competition, deceptive advertising, breach of contract and interference with Lindland’s future business relationships.
Nunes Confirms UFC 135 Exit, Awaits Gamburyan in December
Previously scheduled to compete on the main card of UFC 135 “Jones vs. Rampage,” featherweight contender Diego Nunes will wait a little longer to return to the Octagon.
Nunes’ original opponent for the Sept. 24 event in Denver, Manny Gamburyan, announced his withdrawal from the bout on Aug. 15 due to a shoulder injury. Along with his team at Nova Uniao, Nunes decided not to accept another matchup, citing injuries and personal problems.
“I won’t fight [at UFC 135] anymore. The UFC didn’t find an opponent quickly and I also got injured in training,” Nunes explained Monday to Sherdog.com. “I’m suffering with painful tendonitis in my left arm, and I also had a problem in my hometown, where some people tried to murder my father. It was the best decision [to postpone the fight] so I can travel south to see my family.”
White: Middleweight fights remain for Silva, but GSP matchup starting to "make sense"
Before Anderson Silva's UFC 134 victory, UFC president Dana White mentioned Georges St-Pierre as a possible future opponent.
And following Silva's destruction of Yushin Okami in his record ninth straight title defense, White isn't changing his tune.
White said challenges remain for Silva at middleweight, but he said the time is approaching for a cross-division super fight between the UFC's two longest-reigning titleholders.
After UFC 134 win, "Shogun" Rua possibly one win away from Jon Jones rematch
RIO DE JANEIRO – Former UFC light-heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua had much reason to celebrate his UFC 134 win over Forrest Griffin.
The victory served as revenge for a 2007 loss to Griffin and helped keep Rua relevant in the UFC's 205-pound title picture.
But Rua said the celebration will be only mild. Satisfaction will come only when current champ Jon Jones has been defeated.
Sam Stout withdraws from UFC 137
Lightweight Sam Stout has withdrawn from a fight with fellow lightweight Dennis Siver at UFC 137.
A source close to the fighter today told MMAjunkie.com of the bad news. A replacement has yet to be confirmed.
The London, Ontario, Canada native suffered a devastating blow earlier this month with the death of his brother-in-law and longtime trainer, Shawn Tompkins.
Maia vs. Santiago, Pettis vs. Stephens set for Spike TV's UFC 136 "UFC Prelims"
Brazil may currently be the focus of the MMA world, but the Ultimate Fighting Championship is already looking toward its October plans in Houston.
While MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first announced that October's UFC 136 would feature a "UFC Prelims" special on Spike TV, the world's biggest MMA promotion has now made the plans official.
Demian Maia (14-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC) vs. Jorge Santiago (23-9 MMA, 1-3 UFC) and Anthony Pettis (13-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) vs. Jeremy Stephens (20-6 MMA, 7-5 UFC) will be broadcast during the one-hour special...
"Bang" Ludwig goes into surgery next week, stumps for UFC's fastest-KO record
Duane "Bang" Ludwig would like the books corrected.
Although Todd Duffee is officially listed as the record-holder for the fastest knockout in UFC history, Ludwig said that's not so, and he's not the only one who believes the record is his.
Following UFC 134 and just before neck surgery next week, the Denver-based fighter told MMAjunkie.com Radio that he's reaching out to the Nevada State Athletic Commission to see if officials will correct the issue.
UFC president warms to possibility of Tito Ortiz vs. Rich Franklin
Fans are not likely to see Rich Franklin vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira rebooked for a later date.
Franklin, a former middleweight champ, is being eyed for a different light-heavyweight fight, according to UFC president Dana White.
"We do like the idea of Tito (Ortiz) vs. Rich Franklin," he said today during an official UFC video chat hosted by Ustream.
UFC Newbies Walel Watson and Joseph Sandoval Debut at UFC on Versus 6
The UFC welcomes to newbie bantamweights to the fold at UFC on Versus 6 on Oct. 1 in Washington, DC.
The promotion on Thursday announced via Twitter that Walel Watson and Joseph Sandoval would debut when the UFC heads to the U.S. capitol for the first time.
Watson is 8-2 in his professional career fighting predominantly for the Ultimate Warrior Challenge Mexico. He trains along top female fighter Liz Carmouche at Team Hurricane Awesome.
Anderson Silva Not Fighting on November 12th UFC on Fox Card
Dana White did an interview with MMA Fighting today in Rio while doing the rounds to promote UFC 134, and was asked about the rumor that Anderson Silva might face Dan Henderson in the main event of the first UFC on Fox show on November 12th. White immediately shot the rumor down. Here's what he had to say (transcribed by MMA Mania):
"It's not true. I saw that rumor too, yesterday I was cruising around on the Internet and saw that, it's not true. If he goes out and wins in 13 seconds, he's not considered for the FOX show. I'm working on (the main event for that show) right now. I can't (talk about it), you know me, I have to get the deal done and I have to know that both guys are going to accept the fight. Plus, saying that, even though I say that (Silva) won't fight on the FOX card, I'm watching what happens this weekend before I decide who's going to fight on FOX."
Cyrille Diabate vs. Anthony Perosh Set for UFC 138 in England
The UFC's return to the U.K. in November for UFC 138 looks nearly complete with the addition of a light heavyweight bout between Cyrille Diabate and Anthony Perosh today. Diabate reported the match-up on his Twitter account:
training for my upcoming UFC fight @ UFC 138. Anthony Perosh vs Cyrille Diabate. Grappler vs Striker. Classic !!!
UFC's Shane Carwin eyes 2012 return, promises to bring the animal back to the fight
When Shane Carwin felt the UFC's heavyweight title slipping through his hands, he knew something had to be changed.
Unfortunately, the slimmed-down behemoth now believes he may have gone a little too far with his plan.
Eyeing a 2012 return to the cage, Carwin now says he needs to strike a happy medium somewhere between the ripped gargantuan that gassed in a UFC 116 matchup with Brock Lesnar and the svelte cruiserweight that was battered for 15 minutes by Junior Dos Santos at UFC 131.