August 2011 MMA News Archive
Do you have a hot MMA story or news item that you have found and would like to share? Simply read the instructions, then post it to our MMA News Share Forum to have it display here for the community to read on this page.
Carlos Condit and Ben Henderson Ink Multi-Fight Contract Extensions with the UFC
Job security is important in any job. It’s also nice to be rewarded with that job security for work well done. That’s what the UFC has done for two top ten fighters as Carlos Condit and Ben Henderson have both inked multi-fight contract extensions with the promotion. Condit and Henderson’s representation at First Round Management announced the news on Wednesday. “These fight contract extensions show the MMA world that the UFC values Ben Henderson and Carlos Condit as two of its top, young stars,” First Round Management President Malki Kawa said. “Both are only 27 years old and have proven that they are contenders for titles in their weight divisions and also have strong fan bases. Fans will now be able to see them continue to grow in the Octagon.”
Jake Shields Opts to Remain in Main Event of UFC Fight Night 25
Despite his father, Jack, passing away earlier this week, UFC welterweight contender Jake Shields has opted to remain in the main event of the upcoming UFC Fight Night 25: Shields vs. Ellenberger.
Seth Baczynski vs. Clay Harvison headed to UFC Fight Night 25
"The Ultimate Fighter 11" veteran Seth Baczynski (13-6 MMA, 0-1 UFC) has stepped in for an injured DaMarques Johnson (12-9 MMA, 3-3 UFC) to fight Clay Harvison (9-3 MMA, 1-0 UFC) at "UFC Fight Night 25: Battle on the Bayou."
Mackens Semerzier and DaMarques Johnson Nixed from UFC Fight Night 25
Matt Brown replaces Pascal Krauss, meets John Hathaway at UFC 138
Matt Brown has replaced injured Pascal Krauss and now meets fellow welterweight John Hathaway at UFC 138. UFC officials today announced the change. UFC 138 takes place Nov. 5 at the 16,000-seat LG Arena at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, England. The night's main card airs via same-day delay on Spike TV.
Pascal Krauss out of UFC 138 bout with John Hathaway
A shoulder injury has forced Pascal Krauss (10-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) out of a UFC 138 fight with fellow welterweight John Hathaway (15-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC). MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the withdrawal with one of the German fighter's representatives. Sherdog first reported it earlier today. UFC 138 takes place Nov. 5 at the 16,000-seat LG Arena at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, England. The night's main card airs via same-day delay on Spike TV.
Daniel Cormier Has Message for Wrestling's Critics: 'Learn Takedown Defense'
Daniel Cormier has a message for critics of wrestlers, and it doesn't sound like he's going to budge on it anytime soon. Cormier, one of the most decorated college and amateur wrestlers ever to break into mixed martial arts, has found himself smack-dab in the middle of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix against Antonio Silva in the semifinals. And while he believes the fight is his most important test to date, he isn't going to apologize for being a wrestler. Simply put, the unbeaten heavyweight believes if his opponent can't stop his takedowns, well ... too bad. "It's not my job, it's not Jon Fitch's job, it's not Josh Barnett's job to actually teach someone takedown defense," Cormier said Tuesday during a media call. "It's their job to learn takedown defense. If they can't defend the takedown, then they deserve to lay on their back for 15 minutes."
Griffin out 180 days; complete UFC 134 suspensions
For events outside of North America, there is no commission with direct jurisdiction to regulate. Zuffa has implemented a strict system using some of the most experienced doctors and regulators in the sport, that provides a level of regulation equal to or above the standard of most major athletic commissions. The following suspensions were released directly to MixedMartialArts.com:
Frank Mir is less focused on Brock Lesnar, more concerned with fighting Alistair Overeem in the UFC
Frank Mir must have followed the same diet plan as Ubereem and if so, there are a lot less horses living on this earth. We all witnessed Frank Mir in the middle of his transformation when he surprised just about everyone in America with his UFC 107 obliteration of Cheick Kongo. At some point in 2010, it was rumored that Frank Mir put on even more muscle and was walking around at 290lbs. After he stated that he wished Brock Lesnar would be the first person to die from octagon-related injuries, Frank Mir soon realized that the 'demons' haunting him should probably not let him get on the radio to wish death upon a person. I'm not sure what demons haunt Frank Mir, but whatever they are, they have to be better than the ones in that 'Paranormal Activity' movie. I watched it because the people in the commercial were jumping out of their seats in the movie theater. Paranormal Activity just made me realize people in commercials that jump out of their seats are idiots.
Nogueira wants bout with Lesnar or Mir next
MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani caught up with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at the UFC heavyweight's training center just days after his UFC 134 win over Brendan Schaub. "Big Nog" talked about his health during and after the fight, his performance in front of his home crowd, how he was upset by Schab's pre-fight comments, who he wants to fight next, when he would like to retire and more.
Report: Junior Assuncao vs. Eddie Yagin On Tap for UFC 135
With the UFC 135 untelevised prelim card reduced to just three bouts due to several injuries, the UFC has gone to the well and recruited two featherweights to fill that gap on a month's notice. Returning to the Octagon after four years is Junior Assuncao, who will face Tachi Palace Fights standout, Eddie Yagin.
Jon Jones Responds to Spying Accusations From Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
@Rampage4real Just so you know, I'm not a person who looks for shortcuts in life. Unlike you, MMA is not something I do because of money. via web Jon Bones Jones Jonnybones It's a way of life for me and I would never disrespect the integrity of that. via web Jon Bones Jones Jonnybones I have way more faith in myself, as well as, respect for the art of fighting to ever stoop that low, thats just bad karma via web Jon Bones Jones Jonnybones Believe me or not, I've said my part.. hoping you have a safe and healthy finish to your camp.. #Respect Jon Bones Jones Jonnybones I can't wait to see this fight!!!!!!
Despite hurricane, UFC 134's "UFC Prelims" ratings result in 1.3 million viewers
Despite large portions of the East Coast losing power and not being able to tune in, Spike TV's "UFC Prelims" special for this past weekend's UFC 134 event drew a 0.9 household rating and averaged 1.3 million viewers. It was the day's No. 1 rated cable program among men 18-48. Spike TV officials today emailed the figures to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). Due to Hurricane Irene sapping many would-be viewers' electricity, Spike TV will re-air the one-hour special on Thursday at 8 p.m. ET/PT. In addition to the "UFC Prelims" replay, Spike TV airs a Anderson Silva-themed "UFC Unleashed" marathon beginning at 3 p.m. ET that day. The special includes Silva's past fights with Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, Chris Leben, Forrest Griffin and Vitor Belfort UFC 134 took place Aug. 27 at Rio de Janeiro's HSBC Arena. It was the UFC's first event in Brazil since 1998. Spike TV's "UFC Prelims" special followed a preliminary-card stream on Facebook and preceded the night's pay-per-view main card, which saw Silva defend his middleweight title with a one-sided beatdown of Yushin Okami...
Michael Bisping re-ups with UFC on eve of "TUF 14," signs eight-fight deal
Michael Bisping will be with the UFC for quite some time, assuming he continues his winning ways. The polarizing middleweight has signed a new eight-fight deal with the UFC and relocated his training camp to a gym in Orange, Calif., his manager, Anthony McGann, told MMAjunkie.com. Bisping, of course, is hard at work preparing for an upcoming fight with Jason "Mayhem" Miller," which serves as the traditional season-ending meeting between coaches for "The Ultimate Fighter 14."
Shane Carwin Says Alistair Overeem Is Close to Signing With the UFC
UFC heavyweight Shane Carwin has been out of action since his loss to Junior dos Santos at UFC 131, but he is a regular poster on The Underground. Today, he had something very interesting to say in regards to another top heavyweight, former Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem. Here's what he said: I had a chance to speak with him (Overeem) at the Magic Convention in Las Vegas (no we were not the big and tall models) and he said that he and Dana were close to a deal and he would likely be in the UFC before 2012. I think he would make a great addition to the roster.
Frank Mir Talks Matchups With Brock Lesnar, Alistair Overeem
Dana White says Brock Lesnar will return early in 2012. Shane Carwin says Alistair Overeem is close to a deal with the UFC. Frank Mir welcomes a fight with either man. Mir spoke with Middle Easy (transcription by MMA Mania): "If [a third Lesnar fight] works out, it works out. I just want to fight again, it doesn't matter who. [Fighting] Alistair Overeem would be pretty cool if he actually came over. I think he's a great fighter, I think he's done a lot in this sport, his K-1 accomplishments, I think he's an immediate threat. I'd like to test myself against him."
Strikeforce Grand Prix Winner Will Not Be Crowned the New Heavyweight Champion
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker confirms that the winner of the ongoing Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix will not win the title vacated by Alistair Overeem when he left the promotion.
Kickboxing champ Tyrone Spong considering MMA debut, promises title run
Sick and tired of lay-and-pray? Tyrone Spong might just be your new favorite fighter. The soon-to-be-26-year-old Dutch-Surinamese kickboxer, who opened his striking career unbeaten in his first 65 outings, may soon make the transition to mixed martial arts in the U.S. If (when) he does, Spong has one promise: You will be entertained. "The American fans have shown me a lot of love and a lot of respect," Spong recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "They motivate me. It's guys like that help you keep pushing to get better. If I do come here to the U.S. to do MMA, I will entertain you. That's a promise." Long a staple of the kickboxing scene, MMA fans recently took notice of the knockout artist after he defeated Ray Sefo in a K-1 bout this past October and then took a much-larger Alistair Overeem to a hard-fought decision in a December 2010 K-1 World Grand Prix quarterfinal contest. Spong was then linked to former UFC champ Rashad Evans, who worked with the striking expert in preparation for a UFC 133 bout with Tito Ortiz. Spong said he took the time working with "The Blackzilians" to pick up a few groundfighting techniques in preparation for a potential move to MMA.
Healy replaces Thomson, meets Blanco at "Strikeforce Grand Prix: Barnett vs. Kharitonov"
Pat Healy has replaced injured Josh Thomson and now meets fellow lightweight Maximo Blanco at next week's "Strikeforce Grand Prix: Barnett vs. Kharitonov" event. MMAjunkie.com passed along news of Thomson's injured foot this past week, and Strikeforce officials announced his replacement overnight. "Strikeforce Grand Prix: Barnett vs. Kharitonov" takes place Sept. 10 at Cincinnati's U.S. Bank Arena, and Healy vs. Blanco is slated to compete on the Showtime-televised main card.
Spike TV's UFC 135 "UFC Prelims" special to feature Ring-Boetsch, Ferguson-Riley
Two fights have been selected for next month's UFC 135 "UFC Prelims" special on Spike TV. MMAjunkie.com has confirmed that the one-hour pay-per-view teaser will feature middleweights Nick Ring vs. Tim Boetsch and lightweights Tony Ferguson vs. Aaron Riley. UFC 135 takes place Sept. 24 at Denver's Pepsi Center.