Vyacheslav Datsik has escaped a psychiatric ward by tearing through a fence with his bare hands
You could live for the next ten thousand years, travel the earth barefoot, climb the highest mountain and master every religion on this planet and you will not find a single reason why this story of Vyacheslav Datsik can not be classified as 'baller'. If God truly exists, then Datsik undoubtedly bullied him in highschool. Stolen lunch money, sporadic wedgies at recess, The Almighty had it hard back in those days and all fingers should be pointed in Vyacheslav Datsik's general direction.
Brock Larson vs. Tarec Saffiedine Rounds Out Shark FIghts 13
The final piece in Shark Fights' pay-per-view puzzle has finally been put in place. Shark Fights officials today announced that Strikeforce and DREAM veteran Tarec Saffiedine has agreed to meet Brock Larson, who had already been announced for the card, on the main card of Shark Fights 13. Featuring a main event non-title fight between Shark Fight light heavyweight champion Trevor Prangley and Keith Jardine, as well as a star-studded lineup full of MMA notables, Shark Fights 13 takes place on Sept. 11 at the Amarillo Civic Center in Amarillo, Texas.
UFC 118 Florian-Maynard Winner Guaranteed Title Shot
The winner of Saturday's UFC 118 co-headliner between Kenny Florian and Gray Maynard will, in fact, get a shot at the lightweight title. UFC president Dana White today confirmed the plans in today's pre-UFC 118 press conference at the Great Hall in Boston's historic Faneuil Hall. White, of course, hinted that Maynard could get a title shot if victorious at January's UFC Fight Night 20 event. Maynard edged Nate Diaz via split decision, but Edgar instead got the title shot and ended up upsetting Penn at April's UFC 112 event. "If Gray Maynard beats Kenny Florian, he deserve it, no doubt," said White, referencing that previous hint at a title shot. Is the same true of Florian? "Yeah, absolutely," he said.
Ban on MMA sought in Canada
NIAGARA FALLS, Ontario -- The Canadian Medical Association is calling for a ban on mixed martial arts in Canada.
Delegates at the annual meeting voted Wednesday to have the doctors group seek a government ban on the sport.
The vote came after often contentious debate among 250 doctors at the meeting in Niagara Falls.
Those in favor of banning the sport say it puts fighters at risk of severe head trauma and other injuries that could have lifelong effects.
They argue that unlike sports such as hockey and skiing, the intent of mixed martial arts is to incapacitate one's opponent.
Seven provinces in Canada sanction mixed martial arts prize fighting. The Ontario government recently changed its stance and will allow mixed martial arts in 2011.
With Miller unlikely, Diaz vs. Noons title fight expected for "Strikeforce: San Jose"
A grudge match between Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz and middleweight Jason "Mayhem" Miller is not likely for this year, according to Diaz's manager.
Diaz (22-7 MMA, 3-0 SF) is going to fight at an event planned for Oct. 9 currently dubbed "Strikeforce: San Jose." But he will compete welterweight, and Miller (23-7 MMA, 1-1 SF) is not his opponent.
"Trust me, that's not the fight they have for him," Diaz's manager and trainer, Cesar Gracie, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It's someone else, and it's almost a done deal."
Fedor has called out Alistair Overeem to fight sometime this winter
One day your children will read about a thirty-foot tall giant that lived in the hills of Russia. They will learn that his garments were made from the fear and tears of his opponents and his bones were constructed of adamantium. When this giant would throw an overhand right, planets would recoil in terror and the entire field of astrophysics would take note on its precise trajectory. Time and space would stand in awe at the various ways in which this man broke the limitations they've placed on the universe. This man is Fedor Emelianenko and in this interview with Mixfight.ru, he has finally called out Alistair Overeem.
"Absolutely, I would like a rematch with Werdum. But as he was recently operated on, then as soon as this fight is unlikely to happen. This year, in November-December, I would prefer to meet in a cage with Alistair Overeem"
So can everyone stop saying Fedor is dodging now? People piss me off...
Jason Brilz vs. Vladimir Matyushenko targeted for UFC 122 in Germany
Hot on the heels of a new four-fight deal with the UFC, Vladimir Matyushenko (24-4 MMA, 5-3 UFC) is expected to meet Jason Brilz (18-3-1 MMA, 3-2 UFC) at October's UFC 122 event.
Sources close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that verbal agreements are in place and that both fighters are expected to finalize bout agreements shortly.
While not yet officially announced, UFC 122 is expected to take place Nov. 13 at Konig Pilsener Arena in Oberhausen, Germany.
UFC middleweight Ed Herman leaves Team Quest for new gym, eyes 2011 return
Following back-to-back knee injuries, Ed Herman is turning over a new leaf in Colorado.
The UFC middleweight today spoke to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and revealed he has left Team Quest and plans to open a new gym with teammate Ryan Schultz in Fort Collins, Colo., where he now resides.
Meanwhile, he is nursing his knee back to health and hopes to be able to train at full bore in November. If all goes well, he anticipates a return to the UFC octagon in the first quarter of 2011.
Dana White Hopes Randy Couture Smashes James Toney
Never one to hide his true feelings, UFC President Dana White tells 790 The Zone in Atlanta (via SportsRadioInterviews) that he is hoping James Toney not only gets beaten by Randy Couture at UFC 118 this coming weekend, but gets beat down bad. "Well, Toney has gotten in the best shape he's ever been in in about I don't know how many years. He's taken this a lot more seriously than he has his boxing career. One of the things with these boxers they have been doing it since they were little kids and how much can they learn? They start to get bored or lazy or whatever you wanna call it. So they don't train as hard. Toney has taken this serious. He's gotten in the best shape he's been in in years and this is going to be a very interesting fight. Anything can happen when two good guys go in there and start throwing punches, scrapping, and fighting. Anything can happen, but James Toney has knockout power in both hands, he's been one of the best and he's fought the best forever. Randy Couture has great wrestling and if you break down stats, James Toney doesn't have as many tools as Randy Couture has so Couture should win the fight. James Toney has talked so much smack I want to see him get smashed in this fight."
Rory Markham out, Tyler Stinson in for Bellator 26's tourney-qualifier bout
Rory Markham (16-6 MMA, 0-0 BFC) is out, and Tyler Stinson (18-6 MMA, 1-1 BFC) is in at Thursday's Bellator 26 event, where he'll meet Steve Carl (10-2 MMA, 1-1 BFC) in a season-four welterweight-tournament qualifier bout.
Bellator officials today announced Markham isn't medically cleared for the fight, which takes place Aug. 26 at the Kansas City Power & Light District in Missouri.
The fight is slated as a 175-pound catchweight affair and is part of the night's FOX Sports Net-televised broadcast.
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Rashad Evans UFC title fight on hold until mid-2011
The UFC's light-heavyweight championship will be on hold for a year.
Current champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (19-4 MMA, 3-2 UFC), who won the title with a knockout of Lyoto Machida in May, will be out till the spring or summer of 2011.
As expected UFC president Dana White today told ESPN's "SportsCenter" he'll meet top contender and former champ Rashad Evans (15-1-1 MMA, 10-1-1 UFC) upon his return.
M-1: Fedor Will Fight In Japan Or Russia On NYE
That's the word from The Fink, aka M-1 Global head Vadim Finkelstein, with regards to the future plans for their top star, Fedor Emelianenko. "We plan to organize an interim fight for Fedor. We are considering two options: Japan and Russia. We have a lucrative offer from the Japanese partners, who are interested in Fedor fighting on the New Year's Eve. This is the most interesting option for us. But we are also not excluding an option that Fedor Emelianenko will fight in Russia, sometime in December. We have to organize another fight for Fedor, as Fabricio Werdum is currently injured and no one knows when he will come back. Strikeforce have absolutely nothing against the rematch, that's exactly why we are planning the last fight on Fedor's contract to be against Werdum."
Demian Maia Evolves Each Fight
Previously scheduled to face Alan Belcher at UFN 22, Demian Maia had to set up a new camp and strategy for the upcoming fight at UFC 118 versus Mario Miranda on Saturday. The BJJ expert told SenseiSportTV he has trained with boxing coach Luis Dorea to improve his striking skills and become a more complete mixed martial artist. "The opponent and schedule changes affected me just a bit. I had to speed up the process a little. I was at Bahia and had excellent boxing preparation that couldn’t be better. At each fight I evolve more as a result of the training. I’m ready for everything. He has wrestling characteristics and owns just one loss. If he is in the UFC, that’s because he’s good and can face anyone. He is also tall for the division."
Manager: Lawal Out 9 Months
King Mo won't have a chance to reclaim his throne anytime soon. According to his manager, Muhammad Lawal will undergo knee surgery to replace both his anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments in his left knee, an injury that occurred during Saturday night's Strikeforce event where he lost his SF Light Heavyweight Title to Rafael Cavalcante (Feijao). He's likely going to be out 9 months.
Silva vs. Sonnen Rematch Slated for NYE or Super Bowl Event
Lance Pugmire of The Los Angeles Times, one of the few in the media with UFC president Dana White’s direct cell number, is reporting that Chael Sonnen will be granted an immediate rematch against middleweight king Anderson Silva.
According to the report, the highly anticipated mulligan will either go down on the UFC’s New Year’s Eve or Super Bowl weekend card.
UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta told Pugmire that Silva’s bruised – NOT BROKEN – ribs will be the determining factor on when the scrap will take place. He added that it’s possible the champ may require a layoff until early February in order to get right, which would be pushing pigskin time.
Strikeforce to hold event at Cowboys Stadium? Well, if it's in the game...
While Dana White held high praise for Cowboys Stadium after he attended the massive structure earlier this year for a high-profile boxing match, the UFC president has been reluctant to guarantee his organization will soon visit the venue.
But could Strikeforce possibly steal the UFC's thunder by holding an event there first?
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said you'll likely see his organization contesting bouts in the 80,000-seat stadium in October. Well, sort of.
Marcus Davis Has No Doubt He's A Better Boxer Than Nate Diaz
And "The Irish Hand Grenade" thinks it'll give him a clear advantage at UFC 118 this weekend when he faces Diaz. "He's similar to me as far as what he uses in his arsenal. I think that what Diaz does for his boxing, being long, throwing out his lead left hand a lot, he has some good things that he does. But I have more tools. I have better footwork. He moves forwards and backwards. I move side to side. I'm good at closing the gap quickly and getting my shots off and getting back out. I think that I'm the more powerful puncher. I don't think there is any question about that. I hit guys with one shot and they go out. As far as boxing skill goes, I think I have the advantage there."
Belfort Says He's Fighting In November, But Not Silva
Injured UFC fighter Vitor Belfort says on his Twitter he'll return to action in November, but he didn't say against who although it won't be UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva. “This year I am not going to fight for the title because the champion is hurt but November we will be in action for sure that is what I can say”
Jay Hieron Not A Free Agent Yet
Despite a recent Twitter message to the contrary, Strikeforce welterweight Jay Hieron is not a free agent just yet. Early Saturday morning, Hieron stated he had "finally got my release from [Strikeforce]," which prompted speculation of a potential move to the Ultimate Fighting Championship. But following Saturday's Showtime-televised "Strikeforce: Houston" event in Texas, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told MMAjunkie.com that's not exactly the case. "Here's the thing," Coker told MMAjunkie.com. "Jay Hieron doesn't have any fights left with us. He's just in a matching period. The only thing he would have to do is if he has an offer, he has to bring it to us. "But he doesn't have fights with Strikeforce, no." Coker wasn't immediately sure when the matching period ends, but he hasn't given up hope on re-signing the 34-year-old fighter. "I think my guys are talking to him," Coker said.