April 2012 MMA News Archive - Page 3
Do you have a hot MMA story or news item that you have found and would like to share? Simply read the instructions, then post it to our MMA News Share Forum to have it display here for the community to read on this page.
Jamie Varner vs. Lee King added to Legacy Fighting Championship 11 on HDNet
Former WEC champion Jamie Varner (19-6-1) has replaced Alex Morono (4-1) and now meets Lee King (16-16-1) at next month's Legacy Fighting Championships 11 event. LFC promoter Mick Maynard today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) about the 160-pound catchweight fight, which will be part of the night's HDNet-televised main card. Legacy Fighting Championship 11 takes place May 11 at Houston's Arena Theater. Varner vs. King is one of seven bouts airing on HDNet.
Doctor who prescribed Alistair Overeem medication popped in 2004 for dealing 'controlled substances'
And the plot thickens... Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Heavyweight Alistair Overeem, who appeared in front of the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) today (April 24, 2012), has attributed the results of his failed drug test back on March 27 to anti-inflammatory medication he received out of competition to help with his recovery from a rib injury. That medication, which included self-injections containing testosterone, was prescribed by performance-enhancement doctor Hector Oscar Molina, who was referred to "The Reem" by former UFC fighter Tra Telligman. The same Dr. Hector Oscar Molina that was fined $25,000 and slapped with restrictions on his practice for three years for "prescribing controlled substances and dangerous drugs over the Internet without establishing a proper physician-patient relationship."
Submitted Apr 25, 2012 5:38AM by grappler0000 - 3 comments
Filed under: UFC, MMA Personalities, Miscellaneous
UFC's Dan Henderson On Jon Jones Failure To Connect With Fans
UFC Light Heavyweight champion Jon Jones is the undisputed #1 LHW in the world according to the USA TODAY/MMA Nation Consensus Rankings. He's also the most dominant LHW UFC champ since Chuck Liddell's reign ended in 2007 and yet fans are not flocking to the 24-year-old champ to the degree his accomplishments would seem to merit. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani asked Jones' next challenger, UFC, Pride and Strikeforce veteran Dan Henderson for his take on why Jones isn't clicking with fans. Henderson's reply was characteristically direct:
Mo Lawal Says He Has What It Takes To Beat Jon Jones
After Saturday night's UFC 145 card, there are many left wondering who will be the one to dethrone Jon Jones. With an incredible reach advantage, and a very well rounded, complete game, the list is relatively short. I spoke with Muhammed Lawal recently, to get his take on the situation, and find out what's on the horizon for "King" Mo.
UFC 145 ratings: FX's prelims broadcast scores record 1.6 million viewers
This past weekend's UFC 145 preliminary-card broadcast scored a record 1.6 million viewers on FX. MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the ratings information with industry sources. The April 21 broadcast, which preceded the night's pay-per-view main card, bested every UFC on FX main-card broadcast and PPV preliminary-card special since the UFC moved from Spike TV to the FOX family of channels earlier this year. UFC 145 took place at Atlanta's Phillips Arena, and in the headliner, UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones defended his title with a unanimous-decision victory over Rashad Evans. On the two-hour FX-televised prelims, which followed earlier prelims on Facebook, notables such as Travis Browne, Matt Brown, Mac Danzig and Anthony Njokuani picked up victories. Previously, Spike TV aired 27 "UFC Prelims" specials that averaged 1.5 million viewers. The UFC 145 prelims special is the first on FX to best that average. Additionally, every FX-televised UFC prelims special has topped ratings for the previous one.
Bellator 66 ratings: Viewership plunges to just 109,000 MTV2 viewers
Despite what was arguably Bellator's biggest fight and biggest show of its sixth season, this past weekend's Bellator 66 event saw a ratings plunge. The April 20 broadcast averaged just 109,000 MTV2 viewers, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie,com) today confirmed with industry sources. That's down 33 percent from the 163,000 viewers who tuned in for Bellator 65 a week prior. It's also the third-worst figure in Bellator and MTV2's 32-event history. Bellator 66 took place at Cleveland's I-X Center. In addition to MTV2, many websites, including MMAjunkie.com, also carried the prelims and main-card fights, which could have put a dent in the ratings figure. Still, it's bad news for Bellator, which boasted a big headliner and rematch between Eddie Alvarez and Shinya Aoki at Bellator 65. The event, which saw Alvarez earn a first-round victory, also featured four tournament-semifinal fights in the middleweight and welterweight divisions, as well as a loaded preliminary card. Middleweight-tourney finalists Andreas Spang and Maiquel Falcao had a brief post-fight scuffle at the event, though even that dustup didn't help ratings.
NSAC's Keith Kizer expects no licensing issues with UFC 148's Chael Sonnen
It may be a lot easier this time around for Chael Sonnen (27-11-1 MMA, 6-4 UFC) to get licensed in Nevada. Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he sees no issues with granting the fighter a license to fight at UFC 148, though he will ultimately defer to NSAC Chairman Raymond "Skip" Avansino. "He's done his time," Kizer told MMAjunkie.com. "He's come clean on his prior dishonesty, and that's all appreciated." The UFC announced this morning that Sonnen's rematch with champ Anderson Silva (31-4 MMA, 14-0 UFC) is being moved to the July 7 pay-per-view event after venue problems scratched it from UFC 147. The bout now serves as the pay-per-view headliner of UFC 148, which takes place July 7 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Earlier interactions between Sonnen and the Nevada commission weren't so friendly. Kizer said the fighter lied about receiving approval from him to use prescribed testosterone for a fight against Nate Marquardt at UFC 109. Kizer said Sonnen also disparaged referee Josh Rosenthal. These issues were at the center of a closed-door meeting with Kizer, Sonnen and UFC officials to address the alleged lies and discuss what Sonnen should expect if he applied for a second's (cornerman's) license to serve as a coach on "The Ultimate Fighter 14" opposite Michael Bisping this past year. (Jason "Mayhem" Miller ultimately took Sonnen's spot.) Kizer said the meeting did not go well and said Sonnen would be required to appear before the commission before being granted the license.
Big Nog vs. Kongo Agreed for UFC 149 in Calgary
The same day that UFC president Dana White announced that he is likely taking featherweight champion Jose Aldo off of the fight card in Calgary, the Calgary Sun reported that Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira would face Cheick Kongo at UFC 149. Though the Calgary Sun cited anonymous sources pointing to the fight, the UFC’s Canadian contingent endorsed the report by re-tweeting it.
Invicta FC exec asks for one shot to prove women's MMA belongs in the spotlight
Shannon Knapp wants just one minute of MMA fans' time this Saturday night. Once she has your eyeballs, Knapp is sure viewers will continue to watch the Invicta Fighting Championships debut event in Kansas City, Kan. "The biggest thing is just encouraging everyone to have an open mind," Invicta Fighting Championships CEO Knapp told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) in advance of the promotion's 11-bout, all-female card that takes place at Memorial Hall. "If you love this sport, then how can you not embrace it whether it's male or female athletes competing? Give us a shot. I'm definitely sure you will not be disappointed. Even if you hate women's MMA, come on over and check it out for a minute — at least you'll have something to talk about on the forums."
Mark Munoz Vs. Chris Weidman To Main Event UFC On Fuel 4
Powerhouse middleweight wrestlers Chris "All American" Weidman and Mark "The Filipino Wrecking Machine" Munoz will battle in the five-round main event of UFC on FUEL TV, the just-announced July 11 fight night. The news was announced on the April 24 edition of FUEL TV's UFC Tonight.
Bellator champ Hector Lombard signs with UFC
Good news We can finally see if this can crusher talk is warranted.
Bellator Boss Bjorn Rebney Confirms Hector Lombard is UFC-Bound
World-ranked middleweight Hector Lombard will leave his longtime home at Bellator and sign with the UFC. Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney confirmed the move to MMA Fighting on Tuesday afternoon. Bellator had a right to match the UFC's offer to the man who was their reigning middleweight champion, but Rebney cited differences between the two organizational models as the obstacle that could not be overcome when it came to matching the UFC's deal. "We have a business model where we make decisions based on analyzing data," he said. "Since the first day we came into being, we made decisions based on real models, not hypotheticals. The UFC model is largely based on pay-per-view, and the offer they made to Hector is going to be monetized via pay-per-view. While pay-per-view could play a role in our future, today it doesn't. So, we did our due diligence to review the UFC contract, analyze it in terms of charging our audience to see Hector vs. putting him on free TV, and we decided to allow the UFC to sign Hector, where I am extremely confident he will win the UFC middleweight title on pay-per-view."
NSAC denies Alistair Overeem fight license for period of nine months
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Heavyweight Alistair Overeem appeared in front of the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) today (April 24, 2012) to answer for a failed drug test administered back on March 27 in advance of the UFC 146 pay-per-view (PPV) event on May 26 in Las Vegas. "Demolition Man" returned a testosterone-to-epitestosterone (T/E) level of 14:1, which he subsequently blamed on anti-inflammatory medication -- not performance enhancing drugs (PEDs) -- but it didn't stop the UFC from pulling him from his upcoming bout against Junior dos Santos and replacing him with former 265-pound champion Frank Mir. It turned out to be the right call. Overeem came into today's hearing saddled with the burden of proving that he was indeed the victim of bad medicine -- not bad intentions -- and requested a continuance from the NSAC to help his team prepare its case and "demonstrate Alistair's intent." Request denied.
Cruz vs. Faber title fight remains on UFC 148, part of stacked PPV lineup
Although it'll no longer headline the event, a bantamweight title fight and rubber match between champion Dominick Cruz (19-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) and longtime rival Urijah Faber (26-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC) will remain a part of UFC 148. UFC officials today announced it'll co-headline the July event, which now features a headlining title fight between middleweight champion Anderson Silva (31-4 MMA, 14-0 UFC) and Chael Sonnen (27-11-1 MMA, 6-4 UFC). Silva vs. Sonnen was moved from UFC 147 to UFC 148 earlier today, which promoted concerns Cruz vs. Faber might also be moved to a different event. Instead, it'll now be part of the one of the most stacked cards in UFC history. The latest UFC 148 card now includes: Champ Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen (for middleweight title) Champ Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber (for bantamweight title) Rich Franklin vs. Cung Le Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz Michael Bisping vs. Tim Boetsch Renan Barao vs. Ivan Menjivar Fabricio Camoes vs. Melvin Guillard Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Gleison Tibau Dong Hyun Kim vs. Demian Maia Riki Fukuda vs. Constantinos Philippou
Marcus LeVesseur replaces Aaron Riley, meets Cody McKenzie at UFC on FUEL TV 3
Newcomer Marcus LeVesseur (21-5 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has replaced Aaron Riley (30-13-1 MMA, 3-5 UFC) and now meets fellow lightweight Cody McKenzie (12-2 MMA, 1-2 UFC) at next month's UFC on FUEL TV 3 event. Mickey Dubberly of KO Dnyasty today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that LeVesseur has signed a four-fight deal with the UFC and taken the open slot. McKenzie initially tweeted news of the change. The reason for Riley's scratch from the card wasn't immediately known.
Champ Jon Jones vs. Dan Henderson possible for UFC 149 in Calgary
With UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo likely off the card and headed to UFC 147 in Brazil, July's UFC 149 event in Calgary may still get a title fight. At a press conference today in Rio de Janeiro, UFC president Dana White mentioned the possibility of light-heavyweight champ Jon Jones (16-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) and Dan Henderson (29-8 MMA, 5-2 UFC) headlining UFC 149. However, White said it'll depend on Jones' recovery following this past weekend's win over Rashad Evans. "If we could make that fight happen (at UFC 149), that'd be great," White said. UFC 149 takes place July 21 at Calgary's Scotiabank Saddledome. The night's main card airs on pay-per-view.
UFC 147 keeps Belfort vs. Silva 2, expected to get champ Aldo at date TBA
Although the event has lost its headliner, UFC 147 will soldier on. At a press conference today in Rio de Janeiro, UFC president Dana White today announced UFC 147 will take place at a date to be determined with a Wanderlei Silva (34-11-1 MMA, 4-6 UFC) vs. Vitor Belfort (21-9 MMA, 10-5 UFC) bout. Additionally featherweight champion Jose Aldo also (21-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) is expected to fight at the event. A previously announced headliner and rematch between middleweight champion Anderson Silva (31-4 MMA, 14-0 UFC) and challenger Chael Sonnen (27-11-1 MMA, 6-4 UFC) has been moved to July's UFC 148 event, as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported earlier today. Currently, White said, a date and venue have not been determined for UFC 147, though it'll remain in Brazil. UFC officials initially announced UFC 147 as taking place June 23 at Joao Havelange Stadium (also known as Engenhao Stadium) in Rio. However, White recently said conflicts with the United Nations' "Rio +20" meeting, which is scheduled for June 20-22 in Rio, could prompt some changes. Instead of the stadium, which could have broken the UFC's all-time attendance record (55,724 attendees at UFC 129), UFC 147 now is searching for a new venue.
Del Rosario vs. Miocic added to UFC 146, main card remains all heavyweights
Next month's UFC 146 event will keep its all-heavyweights pay-per-view main card. After Gabriel Gonzaga (13-6 MMA, 8-5 UFC) recently took a vacant slot against Roy Nelson (16-7 MMA, 3-3 UFC) on the card, Shane Del Rosario (11-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) was left without an opponent. However, fellow unbeaten Stipe Miocic (8-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) has stepped in as a replacement, UFC president Dana White today announced via Twitter. UFC 146 takes place May 26 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. In addition to the PPV main card, which features UFC heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos vs. Frank Mir, FX and Facebook carry the preliminary card.
UFC's Stephan Bonnar bitten by giant camel spider while detained by Bahrain airport security
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight Stephan Bonnar has a big personality, which can sometimes rub people the wrong way. One such instance occurred last year, when "The American Psycho" got into it publicly with UFC Welterweight Josh Koscheck, regarding Bonnar using Koscheck's likeness on one of his "Trash Talking Kids" t-shirts. Bonnar appeared on HDNet's "Inside MMA" earlier tonight (Apr. 23, 2012), discussing his recent trip to Bahrain where he, Rich Franklin and Keith Jardine visited with some U.S. troops who were serving overseas. Apparently, Bonnar and his shirts are back in the news, and you'll never guess what kind of trouble his clothing line got him into this time: "We're getting ready to leave Bahrain, and I get detained at the airport. Jardine and Franklin get on the flight, and they take me in the room. They're asking me all these questions, and they're furious. One guy's comin' in the room and pointin' at me, all furious, like that. And, what I think is that, I had on the 'Young Assassin' shirt, with Melvin Guillard, and there's a guy with a turban with his brains spillin' out. I don't think they liked that too much."
UFC 145: Jones vs. Evans Medical Suspensions
Following this weekend’s UFC 145: Jones vs. Evans event, the Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission passed out suspensions to 20 of the 24 fighters. Three fighters were issued lengthy suspensions, while one was given an indefinite suspension. Jon Jones: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons Rashad Evans: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons Rory MacDonald: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons Che Mills: Suspended 45 days for precautionary reasons Ben Rothwell: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons Brendan Schaub: Suspended 45 days for precautionary reasons Michael McDonald: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons Miguel Torres: Suspended 60 days; needs CT scan Eddie Yagin: Suspended 30 days, including 21 days with no contact Mark Hominick: Suspended 30 days, including 21 days with no contact Mark Bocek: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons Travis Browne: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons Chad Griggs: Suspended 30 days, including 21 days with no contact Matt Brown: Suspended 14 days for precautionary reasons Stephen Thompson: Suspended 14 days for precautionary reasons Anthony Njokuani: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons John Makdessi: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons Mac Danzig: Suspended indefinitely pending results of right-ankle X-ray Efrain Escudero: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons Chris Clements: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons Keith Wisniewski: Suspended 14 days for precautionary reasons Marcus Brimage: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons Maximo Blanco: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons