"The Ultimate Fighter 11" tryouts draw Bobby Southworth, Nick Thompson, Logan Clark
Tryouts for the upcoming 11th season of "The Ultimate Fighter" took place Monday in Los Angeles, and at least three notable names were among the day's 300 applicants.
Former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Bobby Southworth, who appeared on the first season of "TUF," and fellow UFC veterans Nick Thompson and Logan Clark attended the tryouts in hopes of appearing on "TUF 11," Spike TV officials confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Despite illness of his own, Shane Carwin ‘would have never pulled out of the fight’
“Last week was the first week that I actually started feeling better from a strain of the swine flu. I had lost over 15 pounds (something I could not afford to loose) and had just pulled some muscles in my leg during training. As 104 approached my manager said, ‘we should be thankful we are not fighting, from your re-broken nose to the leg, this wasn’t our time’. As I prepared to go to 104, I began slowly realizing what was ahead of me; I needed to be home training and rehabbing, not traveling and missing days of necessary time with my Team. I was due to be fighting for the UFC Heavyweight title. I called Jason back and said you are right, but I can’t go to LA I need to train. I was reminded about my commitments to the fans at Kmart and the Q&A, and I knew I had to go. In LA I was reminded exactly why we do this sport. Fans were all over the place and every interaction was a positive one. While at Kmart I meet a young man who competes in the Special Olympics and he said he looked up to us fighters. I was so taken back by the fact that he put us fighters on a pedestal. Here was this young man who defied incredible odds in life to reach the Olympics and he pushes himself every day to do things you and I take for granted. I was bitching about a flu, my leg (that would heal), and taking time away from training and this young man looks up to me? He gave me his Octagon necklace and I do not think he realized what an impact he made on me. I knew right then that I was going to suck it up and drive on. Edward and the rest of Team Carwin would be the fuel to carry me through the rough times and make sure that come fight night I will be the champion … Fighting for the UFC belt is my path and honestly Brock coming down with his illness only gives me more time to be in that much better shape. It is a blessing if you want to know the truth. I would have never pulled out of the fight. I would wheel myself to the cage if it was my choice. I know this is my destiny and I don’t need everything to be perfect I just need my opportunity to show the world what I can do and who I am.”
Pat Barry Really Needed That UFC104 Bonus Money Bad.
It’s nice to see the prelim fighters win the UFC pay-per-view bonus money. They need it a lot more than many of the guys on the main card who are making well into the five, six and seven-figures per fight.
That’s why it was awesome to see Pat Barry — who would have only made $14,000 for his impressive striking display in the second round against Antoni Hardonk — take home an additional $120,000 for winning Knockout and Fight of the Night honors.
Josh Koscheck vs. Anthony Johnson slotted for UFC 106 co-main event
With the loss of its UFC 106 main event between UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar and challenger Shane Carwin earlier this week, the UFC has bolstered the Nov. 21 card with a welterweight bout between contenders Josh Koscheck (13-4 MMA, 11-4 UFC) and Anthony Johnson (8-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC).
Koscheck posted on Twitter late Tuesday that he would appear on the card, and a source close to the event told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) overnight that Johnson will serve as his opponent.
The UFC, though, has yet to officially announced the fight, which serves as the night's co-main event.
Coming Soon: The First MMA Minor League System
Every major pro sport has feeder systems-minor league baseball, NBDL, AHL, NCAA Football. Soon, MMA will have PMMAL. In an effort to help develop the next generation of MMA stars while providing investors a chance to own their own professional sports franchise, Englebrecht announced Wednesday the launch of the Professional Mixed Martial Arts League (PMMAL). Set to begin play in early 2010, the PMMAL (www.pmmal.com) will award charter ownerships to teams in eight specific areas including six Southern California counties and Las Vegas.
Toughill-Coenen Off 11/7 SF Event (Updated)
It looks like Cristiane Santos must now wait longer to find out who she will first defend her Strikeforce Women's Championship against. A planned determination fight between Erin Toughill and Marloes Coenen on November 7 is now off-Toughill had to pull out due to an undisclosed medical condition.
UPDATE: Coenen is back on the card and has a fight. The replacement is Roxanne Modafferi.
DREAM signs big prospect !!
French fighter Karl Amoussou has signed a four fight deal to fight for the Japanese organization DREAM.
Details about the fighter’s debut are unknown at this point, however sources close to the fighter indicated that an announcement about an upcoming fight should be coming very soon.
Amoussou, who is looked upon as one of Europe’s biggest prospects, recently signed an exclusive management contract with M-1Global, joining Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi, and Fedor Emelianenko, the man widely recognized as the top heavyweight in the world.
Amoussou brings an 11 – 2 – 1 professional record to DREAM. Although known mostly for his fierce striking, 7 of thePsycho’s 11 victories have come via submission.
Very exciting prospect, pure violence.
UFC 104's Anthony Johnson: "As soon as I didn't make weight, my life changed"
UFC welterweight Anthony Johnson should have left Los Angeles $60,000 richer.
After earning a devastating 43-second TKO win over Yoshiyuki Yoshida on the main card of this past Saturday's UFC 104 event in Los Angeles, Johnson appeared to be a lock for the evening's "Knockout of the Night" award and a $60,000 bonus.
But Johnson missed weight the day before, and UFC president Dana White declared "Rumble" ineligible for the award. Johnson said the penalty was a life-changing moment.
Report: Ronnys Torres To Make UFC Debut In February
Take 3. After having his planned UFC debut scrapped twice in the past year due to knee injuries, UFC newcomer Ronnys Torres is set to try once again. The TATAME website reports Torres could debut in February at UFC 109, with the possible opponent being Melvin Guillard.
UFC 104 Fighter Payouts
The CSAC today announced the disclosed fighter payouts from UFC 104. The total disclosed payouts was $922,000 with the biggest share-$200,000-going to Lyoto Machida. Additionally, if the rumors of Anthony Johnson getting a 20% fine for missing weight are indeed true, that means he loses $6,000 total, which goes to Yoshiyuki Yoshida.
UFC 104 Medical Suspensions
The CSAC has issued the medical suspensions from UFC 104, and it's sure to add fuel to some fires. While most fighters got 30-60 day suspensions except for Pat Barry getting 180 days without doctor's clearance (wrist), the big story was UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Lyoto Machida getting 60 days and 60 days no contact for a cut...but Mauricio Rua was not suspended.
UFC 104 Prelims On Spike: 1.4 Million Viewers
Spike TV's broadcast of two preliminary card bouts from this past Saturday's "UFC 104: Machida vs. Shogun" card drew 1.4 million viewers according to a report issued today by the cable television network. That's about the same as the viewership for when Spike aired 2 prelims live prior to UFC 103. It also ranked #2 in the target 18-34 men & 18-49 men demos in the timeslot behind only NCAA Football on ESPN. But there's no guarantee UFC will do this again.
Josh Barnett receives second extension for CSAC steroid appeal
Affliction Grim Reaper and former PRIDE star Josh Barnett has applied for — and received — a second extension for his appeal directed towards the ruling of the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) after he was popped for steroids in a random drug test prior to his August 1 bout against Fedor Emelianenko, according to Sherdog.com.
“The Babyface Assassin” returned a positive “B” sample on July 31, all but confirming his initial test result that began a downward spiral for his employer and fellow fighters.
Barnett’s positive test led to Affliction MMA’s house of cards to come crashing down, calling it quits as a fight promoter and returning to the UFC as a corporate sponsor with its clothing brand. Several intriguing fights were scrapped as a result, forcing fighters to search for work elsewhere … Barnett included.
The former UFC Heavyweight champion issued a press release last month, calling into question the integrity of those results alleged by the CSAC — who does have a fairly sordid history dating back to the Sean Sherk scandal and beyond.
From his official press release:
Mr. Barnett was shocked at these allegations and was extremely disappointed to learn that Affliction had made the hasty decision to cancel the August 1st event in its entirety. Mr. Barnett vehemently denies intentionally ingesting any banned substances in preparation for the August 1st fight and he is looking forward to presenting his case to the California State Athletic Commission.
Barnett is appealing this most recent steroid finding with the CSAC but was likely counting on his second “B” sample to help dispute the initial positive result.
In light of this new development, Barnett will not be eligible to reapply for a license to fight in the United States for at least a year, forcing him to remain exiled in Japan until then. With a FieLDS Dynamite!! card looming and a successful wrestling career; however, it may not be too difficult to find work.
For Kimbo Slice, It's All About the Fight
Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson was famous before signing on for the Spike TV reality show “The Ultimate Fighter.” He headlined fight cards on CBS and was paid high-end money for a mixed martial arts athlete. He had little to gain from going on TUF outside of respect and an opportunity to compete in the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
“It was a good experience,” Kimbo told TapouT Radio about his reality television experience. “It was an amazing sacrifice for me.”
With the addition of Kimbo, The Ultimate Fighter 10 has seen record ratings. During his bout with Roy Nelson on episode three of this season 6.1 million viewers tuned in to see Nelson defeat Ferguson by TKO in the second round. Kimbo attributes his popularity to fans being able to relate to him.