Update on Fedor offers
According to Chad Dukes of The Lavar Arrington Show With Chad Dukes on 106.7 The Fan and announced on air today, a source apparently is telling him that the deal Strikeforce has offered Fedor Emelianenko and M-1 would be for $1 million per fight: $500k from Strikeforce and $500k from CBS for 6 fights (not sure about what happens when he doesn't fight on CBS or perhaps these are all CBS fights?). Any fight would be co-promoted with M-1 and the contract would be non-exclusive. While I was adamant yesterday about the UFC's offer being excellent for Emelianenko, if these details are true the Strikeforce deal is excellent as well. It certainly isn't as financially lucrative as what the UFC has put together, but the clear obstacle of co-promotion is entirely removed.
Fedor Emelianenko Turns Down Three-Fight UFC Contract
Fedor Emelianenko said on Wednesday that he does not intend to sign a contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship unless the UFC agrees to promote fights jointly with Emelianenko's promoter, M-1 Global. Since then, several Web sites have reported that Emelianenko had turned down a six-fight contract with the UFC worth $30 million.
Finkelstein on UFC Talks, Fedor’s Future
Vadim Finkelstein discusses negotiations with the UFC and the terms it will take to lock up Fedor Emelianenko in this exclusive video interview conducted after Wednesday's M-1 Global press conference.
Finkelstein also talks about future options for the world’s top heavyweight mixed martial artist.
Doesn't sound good... and what is with not letting Fedor have the contract with Affliction, but have M-1 have the contract with Affliction?
Fedor Emelianenko rejects statement from brother Aleks about true motives of Vadim Finkelchtein
By now it’s no secret that former Pride FC Heavyweight Champion and Affliction headliner Fedor Emelianenko is being vigorously pursued by most of the world’s mixed martial arts promotions following the untimely demise of his previous employer, Affliction MMA.
Topping the list of potential suitors is Dana White, president of The Ultimate Fighting Championship, who no doubt sees the biggest pay-per-view (PPV) of all time in his company’s future should he somehow finagle a heavyweight superfight between the Russian Rancor and Zuffa’s pale powerhouse, Brock Lesnar.
Paul 'Semtex' Daley Still in Negotiations with UFC, Others
British welterweight Paul "Semtex" Daley is still in negotiations with a number of promotions and a deal with the UFC has not yet been finalized, contrary to the reports Wednesday of a four-fight deal.
"These reports are premature, we have signed nothing," Daley's manager told FanHouse Thursday morning. "We're in talks with groups, one of whom includes the UFC."
STRIKEFORCE IN THE RUNNING FOR FEDOR
The CEO of Strikeforce recently returned from a vacation in Italy to find Emelianenko a sudden free agent after the collapse of Affliction. His own event, “Carano vs. Cyborg” on Aug. 15, had encountered a few hiccups as well with injuries and drop-offs, but he is happy with the almost-finalized product.
Jeff Monson Pleads Guilty, Could Get Jail
MMA Heavyweight Jeff Monson has entered an Alford plea on charges stemming from an incident of spray-painting an anarchist symbol on the Washington State capitol. Under an Alford plea, a defendant does not admit guilt but concedes there would be enough evidence to convict if the case went to trial. In addition to paying nearly $22,000 in restitution, prosecutors will recommend 90 days in jail for Monson, who will be sentenced October 1.
The Case Against Fedor Emelianenko Signing With the UFC
It’s the David Axelrod graduate school of marketing here, but it also helps to have willing participants ready and able to carry your water. (Carmichael Dave is on KHTK in Sacramento and Dana White is a frequent guest.) Have you noticed how the campaign of information and misinformation online is working to discredit Fedor and try to paint him in a bad light? Look, we know he’s isolated and nothing is going to change and whatever happens for the rest of his career, it will be on him in regards to why he didn’t fight in UFC. If that offends you, then it offends you. Obviously he seems happy with his current business arrangements, so let him go off and do whatever he is going to do.
DREAM.11 featherweight grand prix semifinals officially announced, reserve bout set
As previously revealed during HDNet's broadcast of DREAM.10, the organization's featherweight grand prix semifinal matchups, set to take place in October at DREAM.11, include Bibiano Fernandes (5-2) vs. Joe Warren (2-0) and Hiroyuki Takaya (11-6-1) vs. Hideo Tokoro (21-14-1).
Additionally, a reserve bout featuring Kazuyuki Miyata (7-7) vs. Daiki "DJ.taiki" Hatais (11-5-3), who defeated Tokoro in the opening round of the tourney (but was unable to continue due to injury), is also set for the event.
WEC 43: Richard Crunkilton vs Dave Jansen in the works for Sept. 2
A lightweight battle between former WEC lightweight number one contender Richard “Cleat” Crunkilton (16-2) and Dave Jansen (12-0) is being assembled for the WEC 43 card at the Covelli Center in Youngstown, Ohio on September 2.
“Cleat” will be making his third attempt at a return to the cage after being sidelined for the past 16 months due to injuries. He was first scheduled to square off against former International Fight League standout Bart Palaszewski at WEC 39 but had to bow out with a knee injury. And again he was forced to withdraw from a high profile fight on the WEC 41 card against the current division number one contender Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone three months later.
UFC is no longer interested in Andrei Arlovski
Of all the fighters to recently exit the UFC, Andrei Arlovski was the guy that Dana White stated he was not pleased to see depart.
Back in December 2008 when asked about Arlovski, White said, “In nine years, there’s only one fighter that I’ve lost that I didn’t want to lose.”
However, after recording two straight defeats to Fedor Emelianenko and Brett Rogers, Arlovski is no longer high on the UFC’s shopping list.
Fight Path: For XFC's big man Chris Barnett, martial arts was a family affair
Chris Barnett was a solid 320 pounds when went into the Xtreme Fighting Championships tryout in October.
The Tampa gym was busy with fighters who wanted a shot at MMA, especially in an organization known to host some of the most exciting up-and-comers around. Not many of them, though, had heard about the tryout following a breakdancing back-and-forth with one of the organization's representatives, as Barnett had.
But Barnett was unusual in several ways. He had come from a taekwondo-practicing family with an Air Force father who was quiet but respected. He had been a small-college wrestler who had learned judo with a friend because, frankly, there's not much else to do in Campbellsville, Ky.
Emelianenko team: More to MMA than UFC
The difficulties that the Ultimate Fighting Championship has in trying to sign Russian heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko can be traced back to one prevailing attitude among his management team.
"The UFC won't be able to control the whole world," said Vadim Finkelstein, the president of Emelianenko's main promoter, M-1 Global.
Fedor Emelianenko Gives No Reason to Think He'll Sign With UFC
The heavyweight champion of mixed martial arts and the sport's biggest promoter appear to have a major sticking point in negotiations that will keep them from coming together any time soon.
Fedor Emelianenko, widely recognized as the best heavyweight in MMA, reiterated at a press conference Wednesday that he does not intend to sign a contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship unless the UFC agrees to promote fights jointly with Fedor's promoter, M-1 Global. The UFC has offered Fedor a contract but has steadfastly refused to become business partners with M-1.
MATT LINDLAND ON AFFLICTION, LESNAR & MORE
Like it or not Matt “The Law” Lindland calls it likes he sees it.
Whether it’s his own career or commenting on the world around him, Lindland is not one to sugarcoat things.
So when Affliction recently canceled its scheduled Aug. 1 “Trilogy” show and then less than 24 hours later closed up shop on its MMA promotion to partner back up with its once-scorned business associates, the UFC, Lindland was more than willing to give his thoughts on the situation; among other recent MMA happenings.
BARNETT RESPONDS TO STEROID ALLEGATIONS
A representative of embattled heavyweight Josh Barnett on Wednesday broke her silence after a California State Athletic Commission drug test allegedly flagged him as a steroid user, effectively canceling his bout with Fedor Emelianenko at Affliction “Trilogy.”
Released to the media was a statement from Barnett's manager, Shannon Hooper of Excel Sports Management, which addressed the situation with Affliction and the CSAC.