White says April 17 show was never planned, guarantees Strikeforce's demise
BROOMFIELD, Colo. – UFC president Dana White has seen his share of potential competitors fall by the wayside.
PRIDE was purchased. The IFL, EliteXC and Affliction all went belly up.
And though Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker has always insisted his organization has learned from the mistakes of those that came before him, UFC president Dana White on Sunday said it won't matter. Strikeforce – and more importantly, Showtime – are in White's sights, and he plans on taking them down.
"I really, really, really dislike these guys at Showtime," White said after UFC on Versus 1. "I really dislike them.
If James Irvin remains on UFC roster, it won't be at middleweight
Following Sunday's unfortunate eye injury and TKO loss to Alessio Sakara at UFC on Versus 1, James Irvin's future in the Ultimate Fighting Championship will be up for discussion among the UFC brass.
But if Irvin, who took a legal knuckle to the eye and couldn't continue in the Versus-televised fight, does remain in the UFC, it won't be at middleweight.
Following the event, UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he was shocked by Irvin's frame and face after his first cut to middleweight and that he can't see booking the veteran fighter for another bout at 185 pounds.
UFC on Versus 1 bonuses: Three fighters earn $50,000 "KO of Night" awards
BROOMFIELD, Colo. – Jon Jones, Junior Dos Santos, John Howard and Clay Guida each earned $50,000 bonuses for their performances at Sunday's UFC on Versus 1 event.
For the first time ever, the organization dished out three "Knockout of the Night" awards (to Jon Jones, Junior Dos Santos and John Howard), a single "Submission of the Night" bonus (Clay Guida) and no "Fight of the Night" honors.
M-1: Fedor-Yoshida Not Happening, Strikeforce Talks Still on Track
Japanese press reports stating that Hidehiko Yoshida will likely face Fedor Emelianenko in his retirement bout at Astra 1 on April 25 in Tokyo have no validity, said Evgeni Kogan, director of operations for M-1 Global, the organization that represents the Russian heavyweight.
“I heard about it today for the first time. I think it's some Japanese people with a sense of humor. No foundation whatsoever,” wrote Kogan in an email Friday to Sherdog.com.
Update: UFC Banned from German TV...Or maybe not?
The Ultimate Fighting Championship has been banned from German television. The Bavarian state office for new media (BLM) revoked the promotion’s broadcast clearance on Thursday for programming including “The Ultimate Fighter,” “UFC Unleashed” and “UFC Fight Night,” which had been televised on German sports television channel DSF since March 2009.
“The committee deems that television formats characterized by the extend of violence shown to be unacceptable,“ read a statement from the BLM. The BLM also described the programming as a “breach of taboos like punching a downed opponent,” which is illegal under article 111a of the Bavarian constitution. The paragraph deals with the glorification of violence in the media.
UFC on Versus 1 Official weigh-in results (Updated)
- Jon Jones (206) vs. Brandon Vera (204)
- Junior Dos Santos (238) vs. Gabriel Gonzaga (255)
- Paul Buentello (246) vs. Cheick Kongo (237)
- James Irvin (185) vs. Alessio Sakara (185)
- Shannon Gugerty (155) vs. Clay Guida (155)
- Eliot Marshall (204) vs. Vladimir Matyushenko (205)
- Darren Elkins (155) vs. Duane "Bang" Ludwig (155)
- John Howard (170) vs. Daniel Roberts (169)
- Chase Gormley (265) vs. Brendan Schaub (264)*
- Julio Paulino (170) vs. Mike Pierce (170)
- Jason Brilz (205) vs. Eric Schafer (205)
* - Schaub was announced as 264 lbs., but the scale appeared to show significantly less. Schaub also appeared surprised at the result.
One surprise from the weigh-in came from preliminary-card fighter and "The Ultimate Fighter 10" runner-up Brendan Schaub, who was announced as weighing 264 pounds. (Three months ago at the The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale, Schaub weighed just 240 pounds.) After the weigh-ins, a commission official told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the amount was incorrectly announced and that Schaub actually weighed 245 pounds.
Nogueira’s Trainer Luiz Alves Dies
Luiz Alves, the long-time trainer of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, died Friday in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Considered alongside Rudimar Fedrigo as the two most important representatives of muay Thai in Brazil, Alves suffered a stroke on Jan. 26. Doctors induced a coma to control the pressure on his brain. On Friday the pressure increased, leading to a hemorrhage that caused his death.
Nogueira had considered Alves his good luck charm. The trainer accompanied “Minotauro” to all of his fights since 2001, except for Nogueira’s two stoppage losses to Frank Mir and Cain Velasquez. Alves’ daughter was getting married the day of the Mir bout, and he had already suffered the stroke by the time Nogueira fought Velasquez.
Overeem vs. Rogers, Arlovski vs. "Bigfoot" official for May 15 Strikeforce event in St. Louis
A pair of previously reported heavyweights bouts is now official for May 15 with today's official announcement of "Strikeforce St. Louis: Heavy Artillery."
As expected Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem (32-11 MMA, 2-0 SF) meets Brett Rogers (10-1 MMA, 2-1 SF) in the night's headliner, and former UFC champ Andrei Arlovski (15-7 MMA, 0-1 SF) meets former EliteXC title-holder Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva (13-2 MMA, 0-1 SF) in the co-headliner.
Today's release didn't state if Overeem vs. Rogers will be a title fight, and sources close to the competitors today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that an official decision hasn't been made about the championship status of the bout. Strikeforce officials could not be reached for comment.
Christian M'Pumbu Added To DREAM LHW Tournament
French veteran Christian M'Pumbu has signed a multi-fight deal with DREAM and is expected to be part of the upcoming Light Heavyweight Tournament starting in May. M'Pumbu is 15-2-1 career and is currently competing in a tournament in the DEEP promotion to determine that promotion's inaugural Light Heavyweight Champion.
Tito Ortiz Maintains UFC 115 Bout With Liddell Is Still On
Despite recent reports that his UFC 115 fight with Chuck Liddell is off due to medical and personal problems, Tito Ortiz says it's still on. He confirmed this to SI.com's Josh Gross earlier in the week. "Yes, I am," Ortiz told SI.com via text message late Wednesday. "Unless Chuck gets hurt." He also revealed his TUF 11 appearance was not cut short and that both he & girlfriend Jenna Jameson were hospitalized recently: Jenna for pregnancy-related issues, Tito for flu. Ortiz has since been released.
"Big Country" Needs To Win Because He Needs To Eat
Apparently those hoped-for fast food sponsorship deals haven't yet come through for Roy Nelson, because of course food came to be mentioned in the TUF 10 winner's recent comments about his upcoming fight with fast-rising prospect Stefan Struve. "I think my experience... actually I cant even say that, he has more fights than I do, haha! I think it will just come down to who wants it more. He is young hungry kid and I am a hungry old kid. I need to eat."
Rashad Evans May Bring Mr. T To The Octagon To Mess With Rampage
And perhaps we may have to pity the new B.A. in the face of the original B.A., fool! But it's an idea Rashad threw out in his latest pre-UFC 114 trash talk ahead of his grudge match with Quinton Jackson. "I don't like all the pre-fight talking, so I can't wait until I finally get my chance to shut him up," said Evans. "There were a lot of times on the show when I wanted to hit him right there. When Keith [Jardine] was training for his fight with Rampage, I had to mimic Rampage's style. I can probably beat Rampage as Rampage now. Plus, he's gotten fat. He needs to get in shape just to get in shape. I may come to the Octagon with Mr. T just to get in his head."
Fedor Emelianenko Will Face Hidehiko Yoshida at ASTRA
An article in tomorrow's Nikkan Sports newspaper says that Yoshida's retirement fight in ASTRA will most likely be against Fedor. The exact quote is "Retirement match against Fedor, world's strongest man". According to the newspaper, Fedor's camp got in contact with Yoshida when he announced his retirement fight somewhere around February 8th and both parties have been negotiating ever since. There is a final meeting that will be held in Japan at Dream 13 which should finalize the negotiations. If nothing pans out after Dream 13, then they apparently have other fighters readily available to fight Yoshida.
Fredie Roach Talks Boxing vs MMA
Topics include whether it is tougher to transition from boxing to MMA or the other way around, which MMA fighter would fair best in boxing, which Boxer would do best in MMA, and which sport has the brighter future. Sorry I forgot to post the link the first time
Japanese star Shinya Aoki says UFC won't succeed in Japan
HOLLYWOOD, Calif. – DREAM lightweight champion Shinya Aoki widely is considered a torchbearer for MMA in Japan. And he's very protective of its landscape, particularly when it comes to the interests of stateside promoters.
UFC president Dana White repeatedly has said he's interested in returning to Japan for the first time since Zuffa, LLC purchased the promotion in 2001. But he blames "dirty, sneaky, bad guys" from keeping the promotion out of the country.
Mousasi Expected To Sign Long-Term Deal With Strikeforce
Gegard Mousasi's nickname is "Dreamcatcher", and evidently he's decided Strikeforce is the place to be just that. The Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champion is expected so sign a long-term extension with the promotion shortly, although he currently has a "champions clause" that extends his current deal by 1 year automatically should he win his last fight on the contract, a title defense against Muhammad Lawal on 4/17.
UFC Will Not Provide Live Counter Against April Strikeforce Event
Strikeforce has the spotlight to itself.
The long-rumored UFC event expected to counter the promotion's April 17 CBS offering will not take place, MMA Fighting has confirmed.
Earlier this month, the UFC explored the option, going so far as to inform likely broadcast partner Spike TV that the show was a go, but the company has apparently reversed course, and a Spike source said the network has been told by the UFC that the show is no longer happening.
At the time, rumors of potential matchups pitting Mike Swick against Matt Serra and Wanderlei Silva vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama were quickly extinguished for various reasons, making finding a headlining act a challenge.