UFC planning to make Australian debut in February at Sydney's Acer Arena
The Ultimate Fighting Championship will soon head to Australia.
The UFC, which has never previously previously hosted an event on the continent nation, has contacted the Combat Sports Authority about holding a show at Acer Arena in Sydney Olympic Park, according to The Sydney Morning Herald.
Frank Trigg actually first told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) about the possibility of the Australia event last month and said he hoped to compete on the card.
No date has been nailed down for the show.
Henderson-Varner WEC Title Fight Will Be in Early 2010; Arizona Targeted
"Jamie Varner's comeback will have to wait a little longer.
While the WEC had hoped to stage a matchup between lightweight champion Varner and new interim champion Ben Henderson in December, such a scenario has essentially been ruled out by Henderson's camp after the five-round thriller that took place this weekend.
After the grueling 25-minute struggle, Henderson will need some time off before jumping back into a new training camp, and the title fight will take place in the early months of 2010, Henderson's manager Jason Genet told FanHouse."
Cowboy Takes a Step Back, Will Earn His Return
"Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone came up short against Ben Henderson at WEC 43, but gave the fans a true show.
The lightweights went toe-to-toe in an immediate Fight of the Year candidate, with Henderson emerging as the new interim lightweight champion. Undisputed champion Jamie Varner waited cageside, ready to take on the new challenger."
Jorge Santiago on life in the USA and getting back to the UFC
American Top Team fighter Jorge Santiago has been preparing for his upcoming fight on November 7th, however, none opponent is announced untill today. Santiago denied a rumour about a fight versus veteran Kevin Randleman saying that was a lie and also says he won’t face King Mo Lawal at all.
“We’re friends and there’s no chance of this bout take place. He even came to help me with wrestling for my last fight” Santiago said to Brasil Combate today.
Jorginho – as he is called by his friends – is totally adapted to the American way of life and has been living in USA for eight years with his wife and daughter.
Junior Dos Santos Versus Gabriel Gonzaga in UFC Heavyweight Matchup
A matchup between Fighters.com’s seventh-ranked heavyweight “Cigano” Junior dos Santos (9-1) and former UFC title challenger “Napão” Gabriel Gonzaga (11-4) is in the works, Fighters.com has confirmed with a source close to one of the fighters.
Fighters.com hasn’t confirmed the date of the fight and no contracts are signed. If the matchup is in December, it’s likely to occur at UFC 107 at the FedExForum in Memphis December 12. However, according to unconfirmed reports, that card is already stacked with pay-per-view quality matchups. UFC 108 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas January 2 and is also a likely event for the matchup.
Comedian John Heffron to host 2009 World MMA Awards ceremony
John Heffron has been tapped as host of the Dec. 30 ceremony for the 2009 World MMA Awards, the comedian today announced via Twitter.
Heffron, a Michigan native who won the second season of NBC's "Last Comic Standing" reality-show competition, has been featured in many televised comedy specials and a guest star on a variety of TV shows. He's also toured with UFC broadcaster and fellow comedian Joe Rogan.
The 2009 World MMA Awards, a Dec. 30 red-carpet event, takes place at The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas and airs on Versus.
A live broadcast streams on Versus.com, and a taped version of the ceremony airs on the regular Versus cable station throughout January.
Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider," open to rematch with Nogueira
SAN ANTONIO – Frank Mir (12-4 MMA, 10-4 UFC) may be currently planning to fight Cheick Kongo at UFC 107 in December, but the French striker isn't the only opponent on the former UFC champ's mind.
In fact, lessons learned in his UFC 100 loss to Brock Lesnar have led Mir to express his desire to face middleweight champ Anderson Silva in a previously rumored heavyweight superfight.
"I'm extremely interested in the fight," Mir said at Friday's post-WEC 43 weigh-in Q&A session. "I've learned that size helps people win fights. It would be nice to be on the other end of that."
Mir didn't discount the danger that Silva presents to any opponent, but he did consider himself a pretty clear-cut favorite should the bout materialize.
For WEC's Dave Jansen, proof is in the pudding (that he no longer has to serve)
SAN ANTONIO – Mixed martial arts wins often mean very different things to different people.
For lightweight Dave Jansen (13-0 MMA, 1-0 WEC), his WEC 43 victory over Rich Crunkilton (16-3 MMA, 8-2 WEC) on Saturday night means he doesn't have to bring you a sandwich.
"I made it," Jansen told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) after the bout. "I get to do what I love. I quit cooking, serving, bartending and waiting tables for unhappy patrons. Now I get to scrap for a living."
UFC 108 - Rashad Evans vs. Thiago Silva signed for Vegas
UFC light heavyweight champion, Rashad Evans and Brazilian bad boy, Thiago Silva have put pen to paper and made official their fight at UFC 108.
Evans will look to rebound from a loss for the first time in his mixed martial arts career after dropping the title to Lyoto Machida at UFC 98 back in May. As for Silva, he managed to bounce back from his own loss to Machida in January to knockout Keith Jardine in August.
UFC 108 is set to be headlined by the middleweight clash between UFC champion, Anderson “The Spider” Silva and “The Phenom” Vitor Belfort.
WEC 43 draws 5,176 spectators; Harris says he's "sure" promotion will return to Texas
SAN ANTONIO – The WEC's second trip to Texas drew less attendees than the first visit, but promotion officials insisted they were still pleased with the result.
At Saturday night's "WEC 43: Cerrone vs. Henderson" post-event press conference, WEC officials announced the card drew a total of 5,176 spectators to AT&T Center in San Antonio.
A live gate figure was not immediately available.
"The attendance was good," WEC general manager Reed Harris said. "You saw we had a pretty full house."
Mike Swick blasts Paul Daley
Mike ‘Quick’ Swick has blasted Paul ‘Semtex’ Daley via Twitter in the latest round of a war of words that has developed between the pair. Daley has been talking up a fight with Swick since standing in for him against Martin Kampmann at UFC 103. Swick is not impressed.
“Daley you are delusional saying I started this trash talk. Immediately after you beat Kampmann you said you would knock me out in 1 round,” he wrote. “You know how many guys have said that? Everyone I have fought. Your own people say Hardy is better than you so we will see November 14th.”
“Quit trying to make a name off talking trash to me and go earn it. Koscheck needs an opponent now, ask for that one if your so tough,” Swick concluded.
Mirko Cro Cop Still Coping with his Loss to Junior Dos Santos, Will Finish his UFC Contract
"I was very, very disturbed after the loss to Dos Santos. I was in such a state that I wished to hang myself in my hotel room so I would be gone. Three losses in my last seven fights is nothing but a disaster to me. That’s a terrible score and I’m not happy about it"
"I already know some things that I did wrong both in the fight and in the preparation for the fight, but there are many questions that remain to be answered. I am seriously thinking about hiring a psychiatrist to help me out. I have already made some calls about it."
King of the Cage champ Joker Guymon realizes UFC dream
King of the Cage welterweight titleholder Michael "The Joker" Guymon relinquished his belt and signed a four-fight deal with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. For the 35-year-old fighter it was a dream come true.
"It was just because the whole dream I had," Guymon told MMAWeekly.com. "I started out this sport looking at it on the couch in high school watching UFC 1. I wanted to be there, and now that I'm there it's like, wow. I can't believe it.
"It's been such a long, hard road."
Miguel Torres eyes January return, targets Brian Bowles with or without the belt
SAN ANTONIO – Former WEC bantamweight title holder Miguel Torres (37-2 MMA, 5-1 WEC) has come to terms with his shocking August loss to new champion Brian Bowles (8-0 MMA, 5-0 WEC).
And as Torres told the gathered crowd at a Q&A session following Friday's "WEC 43: Cerrone vs. Henderson" weigh-ins, getting his title back is now a primary focus.
That shot could come in a 2010 rematch with Bowles, but Torres said he wants to redeem himself against the HardCore Gym product whether his opponent is wearing a belt or not.
"I want a shot with Brian Bowles," Torres said. "I want to fight him again."
Jamie Varner on Donald Cerrone: "We can run it back and see who the real man is"
SAN ANTONIO – Being Jamie Varner (16-2 MMA, 4-0 WEC) just isn't easy.
After the WEC champ entered a post-WEC 43 weigh-ins Q&A session to a chorus of boos, one of the first questions asked was if he could explain the feeling of "living on his knees" rather than be willing to "die on his feet."
But as Varner later explained to the San Antonio crowd, dealing with haters is just a part of the business, and he's more than willing to deal with Donald Cerrone (10-1 MMA, 3-1 WEC), too.
"Fans are difficult," Varner said. "They love you when you're on top and knocking people out. But if there's any sort of downfall or controversy?
Grove vs. Rosholt, Others Added To UFC 106
Several previously rumored additions to the UFC 106 card are now official today. Kendall Grove vs. Jake Rosholt has been added to the prelims, while Karo Parisyan vs. Dustin Hazelett and Jon Fitch vs. Ricardo Almeida are now official for the PPV. This likely fills out the PPV card with Luis Cane vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira expected on PPV but not yet announced by UFC.
Dan Lauzon vs Cole Miller Agreed for UFC 108
"A lightweight match has been added to the UFC 108 undercard. Dan Lauzon makes his return to the Octagon to face American Top Team fighter Cole Miller.
The bout was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com on Friday by sources close to the fight. Both fighters have verbally agreed to the bout.
Lauzon (12-2) will compete on the UFC 108 card alongside his brother, Joe Lauzon, who will face Sam Stout. Dan, the younger of the two, last appeared in the UFC in 2006. At just 18 years of age, he lost to Spencer Fisher."
Mir picks Carwin, wants Lesnar rubber match
Frank Mir made it clear that he is set on breaking the 1-1 deadlock he has with UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar Friday during a Q and A session for fans after the WEC weigh-ins in San Antonio, Texas.
However, the former UFC heavyweight champion said he believed the pair wouldn’t be fighting for the belt should their third encounter happen in the near future. Mir told the crowd that he felt Shane Carwin would defeat Lesnar in their main event bout at UFC 106 on Nov. 21 in Las Vegas. Noting Carwin’s strength, Mir stated that he did not believe Lesnar would be able to bully Carwin the way he did to him at UFC 100 last July.