No CBS talks yet, but Strikeforce "hopeful" for fall return to network TV
While Strikeforce fighters Jason "Mayhem" Miller, Nick Diaz, Jake Shields and Gilbert Melendez await word from the Tennessee Athletic Commission to find out how they will be affected by their involvement in an April post-fight brawl, Strikeforce officials are playing a similar waiting game with their broadcast partners at CBS.
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that CBS officials have yet to contact him regarding the possibility of broadcasting a third fight card on the network.
Nevertheless, Coker said there's no need for panic just yet, and he remains "hopeful" Strikeforce will return to CBS airwaves later this year.
"UFC Primetime: Rampage vs. Evans" highest rated "Countdown" show ever
Wednesday night's debut of "UFC Primetime: Rampage vs. Evans," which previews the UFC 114 main event on May 29 between former UFC light heavyweight champions Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Rashad Evans, was the highest-rated "UFC Countdown" show in history, Spike TV today announced.
The 30-minute show drew 1.2 million viewers during its initial run at 11 p.m. ET/PT.
The debut episode of "UFC Primetime: St-Pierre vs. Hardy" was the previous record-holder with an average audience of 1 million viewers.
Manager Shu Hirata Criticizes Shinya Aoki, Talks State of Japanese MMA
Shu Hirata is the manager for some of Japan's most successful MMA fighters. Takeya Mizugaki, Yoshiyuki Yoshida and many more Japanese fighters fight under Hirata's management. But since the demise of PRIDE FC in 2007, many have begun to question the level of Japanese MMA and Japanese fighters.
It is Hirata's job to bring Japanese fighters to the West and to help them be successful. He is better at his job than anyone else. In this MMAFighting.com exclusive interview, Hirata sheds light on the problems with Japanese MMA, the failure of Shinya Aoki and the future of the sport in Japan.
TUF 11 Stays Steady With 1.8 Million Viewers
"The Ultimate Fighter" season 12 has some new twists and turns this season in and out of the house, but one thing that's stayed pretty consistent are the ratings for the 11th season of the reality show.
The latest episode drew an average audience of 1.8 million viewers, up from last week's episode of 1.7 million viewers.
Buentello To Return In Shark Fights Main Event
Following his exit from the UFC, Paul Buentello will re-emerge on May 22 at Shark Fights 11 to face undefeated prospect Bryan Humes in the main event at Ector County Coliseum in Odessa, Texas.
The winner of the bout will become the No. 1 contender to the Shark Fights heavyweight title currently held by Darrel Schoonover.
WEC signs DVD distribution deal; "WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber" set for July 20 release
While DVD sales have long been a profitable venture for the Ultimate Fighting Championship, the promotion's sister organization has been noticeably absent from the market.
Today, that changed.
World Extreme Cagefighting has partnered with Image Entertainment, Inc., for a "long-term" DVD distribution agreement.
According to an official release issued by the companies today, the agreement calls only for the release of "select" WEC events, the first of which will be April's wildly successful "WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber" event, which is set for a July 20 release.
Karo Parisyan headed to Australia for Impact FC, fights Luis Dutra Jr.
Karo Parisyan is moving on with his fight career and will appear at Impact FC in Australia on July 10.
Parisyan today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he has agreed to fight Brazilian Luis Dutra Jr. on the card Down Under. MMAjunkie.com reported earlier today that the former UFC welterweight's potential Strikeforce contract fell through.
"I [haven't] fought for a year-and-a-half, (so) it's exciting," Parisyan said. "Time to get on top again."
The Armenian-American fighter declined to comment on his Strikeforce negotiations other than to say the potential deal was a six-fight contract...
Alistair Overeem, Brett Rogers May Not Be Drug Tested for Strikeforce Bout
Alistair Overeem and Brett Rogers may be fighting for the Stikeforce heavyweight title in St. Louis on Saturday night, but it doesn't necessarily mean they'll have to undergo pre or post-fight drug tests to do it.
Despite the title being on the line, and despite widespread questions about Overeem's growth in recent years (including a remark from Rogers about his opponent's "eastern diet"), Tim Lueckenhoff of the Missouri Office of Athletics confirmed that there is no guarantee that any particular fighter will be tested for banned substances, championship bout or no.
Yoshiyuki Yoshida Cut on 36th Birthday, Mulls Move to Lightweight
Yoshiyuki Yoshida has been released following his UFC 113 loss to Mike Guymon, his manager Shu Hirata confirmed to MMA Fighting.
The Tokyo-born fighter got the call about his release on his 36th birthday. Yoshida, who is 11-5 in his career (2-3 in the UFC), will now debate a drop to lightweight as he considers his career options.
Is American wrestling stalling the progress of Mixed Martial Arts?
"Is American wrestling stalling the progress of Mixed Martial Arts? Some fans think so, and after some recent matches in particular, arguments are rife that wrestlers are killing the aesthetics of the sport.
Every MMA fan, commentator and reporter has found themselves in a discussion as to who are the best fighters to watch, which is different from a discussion about who are the best fighters period. Being one of the best fighters to watch does not necessarily equate to being one of the best fighters in terms of winning accomplishments."
Tito Ortiz Will Not Face Domestic Violence Charges
Unlike his last couple of fights, this is one decision that Tito Ortiz won't be leaving in the hands of the judges. "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" escaped criminal prosecution for felony domestic violence today after the Orange County District Attorney rejected his case based on "insufficient corroboration to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he attacked his girlfriend Jenna Jameson." TMZ passed along the not-so-surprising news earlier today. Ortiz and Jameson were photographed as recently as Mother's Day, where the reconciled couple were seen hanging out at the beach with their children. The district's decision not to move forward with prosecution likely stems from Jameson's inability to stick with her story regarding the domestic incident that took place at their house on April 26, for which Ortiz was arrested and taken into custody.
Ken Shamrock to Fight Pedro Rizzo at July 17 Impact FC Event
Ken Shamrock is currently penned in to face Pedro Rizzo and not Mark Coleman at Impact FC on July 17 in Australia, MMAFighting.com has confirmed with promoters.
The Shamrock-Coleman matchup had been discussed but no agreement was reached.
I believe this is on the same card as Ninja- Jeremy May and I have read Semtex maybe fighting on this card too. Whoever wins this one should move into the top ten P4P discussion.
Jon Jones ducking Lil Nog?
" it has huge downside for fans who wanted to see Antonio Rogerio Nogueira showcase his talent against top contenders. Could the UFC not get a better replacement? Thiago Silva and Jon Jones would have been much better replacements if they would have been willing to fight."
"...Kevin Iole: Jon Jones turned down the fight"
Lyoto Machida Will Be Back And Stronger Than Ever
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida arrived in Brazil and was welcomed by fans at the airport in Para. Smiling and being a gentleman as usual, Machida handed out autographs and took pictures with fans. Chinzo Machida – brother and cornerman - spoke to Jornal do Para that Machida’s clan was ready to face off any adversary and didn’t jump on the bandwagon of people who consider the instant rematch unfair for the karateca. Fabiola Machida – The Dragon’s wife – revealed that her husband and is upset but calm because that result was fight business. The good news is Lyoto doesn’t need to undergo any surgery on his face and will be back to the camping in two months, stronger than ever.
Rampage Or Rashad? It Doesn't Make A Difference To Mauricio Rua
But if he had to pick, he sets odds slightly favoring Quinton Jackson as his next opponent. "I think Rampage [will win], but it's close to 50/50 to me. I'd say 55% for Rampage, 45% Rashad. To me Rampage or Rashad, it doesn't make a difference, they are both top fighters. But a fight against Rampage would be good ... for the pay-per-view. I'm a professional fighter, I never pick my opponents, I'd fight anyone. Anderson (Silva) can be a big challenge to my career, but I'm used to them."
Karo Parisyan Not Going To Strikeforce
The Heat will not be on in Strikeforce anytime soon. Former UFC Welterweight Karo Parisyan will not be going to Strikeforce to continue his career as a proposed deal is off. The proposed deal called for Parisyan to fight at "Strikeforce: Los Angeles" on June 16 against an opponent to be determined. SF CEO Scott Coker confirmed reports the proposed deal has been shelved.
Mayorga vs. Thomas Remains in Jeopardy Over Term 'Bout'
In the court battle over whether boxer Ricardo Mayorga is contractually free to pursue his MMA debut against former UFC fighter Din Thomas at this Saturday's Shine Fights event in North Carolina, a lot may depend on what the definition of the word "bout" is.
Last week, Don King Productions filed a motion in a Florida court for preliminary injunctive relief to stop Mayorga's participation in the Shine Fights 3 pay-per-view event, alleging that Mayorga is violating his exclusive promotional contract with DKP by engaging in the MMA bout.
Strikeforce Signs Siyar Bahadurzada
Siyar Bahadurzada has his eyes set on a U.S. debut. The Sengoku and Shooto veteran recently signed a four-fight exclusive contract with Strikeforce. The current Shooto Light Heavyweight Champion (which actually is contested at what's currently the Middleweight division elsewhere) will drop to Welterweight and hopes to debut in SF later this year.
Travis Galbraith Off Shine Fights, Heath Faces Rua
Just days before the upstart Shine Fight Promotions' first pay-per-view event, the organization has been forced to juggle its main-card lineup. Travis Galbraith, who was to have faced Murilo Rua, is now off. He has withdrawn due to disagreements with the organization over travel arrangements. Galbraith said his decision to withdraw from the card was based on a series of events that left him concerned. A replacement has been secured, reportedly it's David "Not Gangrel" Heath.