UFC Champion Jon Jones' DWI Came With Two Passengers In The Car
More details are emerging now in regards to the Jon Jones DWI case from last week. It appears that Jones was not alone in the car when he smashed his Bentley into a pole while under the influence of alcohol.
Loretta Hunt tweets the information:
Binghamton PD has confirmed there were two passengers in car with Jon Jones when he hit a pole on May 19. Jones pleaded guilty to DWI yest.
Man Dies After MMA Bout In South Dakota
A man has died after his fifth MMA fight since taking up the sport only roughly a year ago. Dustin Jenson died after a brain injury following a loss at a May 18 South Dakota MMA event.
Rapid City Journal with the sad details:
Dustin Jenson, 26, was participating in full-contact fights at a RingWars event May 18 when he tapped out - a signal to end the fight. According to his mother-in-law, Violet Schieman, Jensen then watched the next two fights before going to the locker room area, where he suffered a seizure.
Schieman said medical personnel determined that Jenson had increased pressure on his brain and put him in a medically induced coma before surgery was performed to relieve pressure. He was declared dead May 24 and was taken off life support the next day, Schieman said.
Schieman, who was not at the fight, said her daughter, Jenson's wife Rebecca Jenson, and several others told her the violence in the fight was "nothing out of the ordinary."
Matt Brown replaces Matt Riddle, meets Luis Ramos at UFC on FX 4
Matt Brown (14-11 MMA, 7-5 UFC) has replaced Matt Riddle (6-3 MMA, 6-3 UFC) and now meets fellow welterweight Luis Ramos (19-7 MMA, 0-1 UFC) at next month's UFC on FX 4 event.
Brown today announced the fight via Twitter, though MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) could not immediately reach Riddle's representatives for the reason he was removed from the card.
UFC on FX 4 takes place takes place June 22 at Revel Casino in Atlantic City, N.J.
The night's main card airs on FX, and FUEL TV carries the preliminary card. Brown vs. Ramos is expected to be part of the prelims...
Manager: Antonio Silva's fight-altering UFC 146 cut required just three stitches
That cut – the one changed the course of the fight and left Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva drenched in blood at this past weekend's UFC 146 event – wasn't as bad as it looked.
"It wasn't really a big cut," Silva's manager, Alex Davis, told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "It was right between the eyes. It's a very fleshy part. It bleeds a lot. He's a big guy, and his head is very well irrigated, so it was a blood bath.
"But it only (needed) three stitches. It wasn't that bad, but it looked bad on TV."
UFC 146 medical suspensions: Velasequez draws possible six-month term for left hand
The full list of suspensions arising from UFC 146 include:
-Cain Velasquez: Needs X-ray of left hand. If broken, he is suspended until November 20 unless cleared by doctor. Suspended at minimum until June 26 with no contact until June 17
-Antonio Silva: Needs X-ray of nose. If broken, he is suspended until November 20 unless cleared by an ear, nose and throat doctor. Suspended at minimum until July 23 with no contact until July 11 for lacerations
-Jamie Varner: Needs X-ray of right hand. If broken, he is suspended until November 20 unless cleared by doctor. Suspended at minimum until June 26 with no contact until June 17
-Jason Miller: Needs clearance of right thumb and left knee by orthopedist or sports doctor or suspended until November 20. Suspended at minimum until July 11 with no contact until June 26 for tough fight
-C.B. Dollaway: Needs X-ray of left thumb. If broken, he is suspended until November 20 unless cleared by doctor. Suspended at minimum until June 26 with no contact until June 17
-Jacob Volkmann: Needs clearance of left elbow clearance of right thumb and left knee by orthopedist or suspended until November 20
-Frank Mir: Suspended until July 23 with no contact until July 11 for TKO loss
-Dave Herman: Suspended until July 23 with no contact until July 11 for TKO loss
-Shane Del Rosario: Suspended until July 23 with no contact until July 11 for TKO loss
-Duane Ludwig: Suspended until July 23 with no contact until July 11 for TKO loss
-Lavar Johnson: Needs evaluation of left elbow by orthopedist. Suspended at minimum until July 11 with no contact until June 26
-Edson Barboza: Suspended until July 11 with no contact until June 26 for TKO loss
-Stipe Miocic: Suspended until June 26 with no contact until June 17
-Darren Elkins: Suspended until June 26 with no contact until June 17 for left ear hematoma
-Diego Brandao: Suspended until June 26 with no contact until June 17 for tough fight
-Mike Brown: Suspended until June 26 with no contact until June 17 for left forehead laceration
-Daniel Pineda: Suspended until June 26 with no contact until June 17 for tough fight
UFC Vets Karo Parisyan And Kendall Grove Look To Rebound At Shofight
The sport of mixed martial arts is tough. There is no disputing that. Fighters experience ups and downs, wins and losses, and make sacrifices to be the very best they can be. Staying committed when you’re winning can be easy. It’s when losses come that combat athletes find out how committed they really are to the fight game.
Two fighters in such a position are former UFC stalwarts Karo “The Heat’ Parisyan and Kendall “Da Spyder” Grove. On June 16th in Springfield, Missouri, both will tangle with ultra-tough opponents, as Parisyan will battle fellow UFC vet John Gunderson, and Grove will lock horns with UFC/Strikeforce vet Terry Martin. The winner of the Parisyan-Gunderson tilt will be awarded the first ShoFIGHT welterweight belt, while either Grove or Martin will go home with ShoFIGHT middleweight strap. In short, it’s a big fight for all the competitors involved.
PPV broadcast details will be announced soon.
UFC Octagon Girl’s repertoire includes kick to boyfriend’s nose, arrest reports indicate
A heated argument early Saturday morning in a Wynn hotel room led to the arrest of UFC Octagon Girl Arianny Celeste and her boyfriend, Metro Police said.
Celeste, 26, whose real name is Arianny Lopez, and her boyfriend, 34-year-old Praveen Chandra, each were arrested on a count of battery domestic violence, according to arrest reports released Tuesday.
A Wynn employee heard a crashing sound from a room and saw Lopez come running out of the room shortly after 4:30 a.m., the reports state.
Lopez told police her boyfriend choked her and grabbed her right arm during an argument about text messages, the reports said. Officers noted that Lopez had scratches on her right arm.
Detectives interviewed Chandra who said Lopez kicked him in the nose in a limousine, where the argument started, the reports said.
Wanderlei Silva Trashes Vitor Belfort As Either 'Scared' Or Amateur
UFC Middleweight and former Pride champion Wanderlei Silva is anything but happy with Vitor Belfort after hearing that an injured hand has forced Belfort out of their scheduled UFC 147 headliner. Silva took to his twitter account to vent (translation via Tatame.com):
"(Fighting me) with one hand (laughs)? We are professionals. It's a great irresponsibility not to be careful on training, a great disrespect towards the fans. I'm really sad. I'm ready to knock you out, you have nowhere to run. This fight is happening. I guess you got scared of me. Nobody trains so hard that breaks his hand. We use the best equipments, gloves, bandages."
UFC 146 salaries: Dos Santos, Mir and Velasquez lead $1.2 million payroll
Junior Dos Santos: $200,000 (no win bonus)
def. Frank Mir: $200,000
Cain Velasquez: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus)
def. Antonio Silva: $70,000
Roy Nelson: $40,000 (includes $20,00 win bonus)
def. Dave Herman: $21,000
Stipe Miocic: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
def. Shane Del Rosario: $20,000
Stefan Struve: $58,000 (includes $29,000 win bonus)
def. Lavar Johnson: $26,000
Darren Elkins: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus)
def. Diego Brandao: $15,000
Jamie Varner: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
def. Edson Barboza: $18,000
C.B. Dollaway: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus)
def. Jason "Mayhem" Miller: $45,000
Dan Hardy: $50,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus)
def. Duane "Bang" Ludwig: $18,000
Paul Sass: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
def. Jacob Volkmann: $20,000
Glover Teixeira: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus)
def. Kyle Kingsbury: $12,000
Mike Brown: $52,000 (includes $26,000 win bonus)
def. Daniel Pineda: $10,000
Now, the usual disclaimer: The figures do not include deductions for items such as insurance, licenses and taxes. Additionally, the figures do not include money paid by sponsors, which can oftentimes be a substantial portion of a fighter's income. They also do not include any other "locker room" or special discretionary bonuses the UFC oftentimes pays. They also do not include portions of the pay-per-view revenue that some top-level fighters receive.
Jon Jones pleads guilty to DWI
UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon "Bones" Jones, a Union-Endicott High School graduate who currently lives in Ithaca, entered a guilty plea Tuesday to a misdemeanor charge of driving while intoxicated.
Binghamton City Court Judge Daniel L. Seiden told Jones his driving privileges in New York were suspended immediately, and he will need to undergo an alcohol abuse and dependency evaluation.
The charges stem from a May 19 accident in which Jones was driving a 2012 Bentley that it struck a pole at Grand Boulevard and Helen Street on the city's West Side, according to city police
UFC heads to Nottingham on Sept. 29, possibly as UFC on FUEL TV show
Keeping with its once-a-year fall event, the UFC is returning to the U.K. on Sept. 29.
Officials announced this past weekend that Nottingham's 10,000-seat Capital FM Arena is set to play host to the yet-unnamed event.
Broadcast plans aren't official, but an official told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the event could air live stateside as a UFC on FUEL TV event on Saturday afternoon.
No matchups have been announced, though UFC president Dana White recently mentioned UFC 146 winners Dan Hardy (24-10 MMA, 5-4 UFC) and Paul Sass (13-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC), as well as "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" injured cast member Andy Ogle (8-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC), as possible participants. All are U.K. fighters.
Jason 'Mayhem' Miller Describes Incident At UFC 146, Says He's 'Done Fighting For Now'
Jason "Mayhem" Miller became the center of attention after UFC 146 for all the wrong reasons. He lost his bout to C.B. Dollaway, then was released from the promotion shortly after by UFC president Dana White for some sort of "incident" he didn't care to elaborate upon. Mayhem was a guest on Ariel Helwani's The MMA Hour today and gave his side of the story. He explained that it wasn't a post-fight incident but something that happened before his bout, and that he's effectively retired (transcribed by MMA Fighting):
"I said I would, so I am," said Miller. "I'm done for right now."
"I don't have the need to super-impress one person in particular and make them happy," Miller said. "I can focus on making myself happy. I don't have the pressures of a commissioner chasing me around with a piss cup. I don't have the pressures of everybody verbally abusing me for everyone one of my missteps via social media. I feel like a weight is lifted.
"Every fighter gives the same answer when they say they're retired. Pretty much every fighter says ‘I'm retired until I need money.' I'm a pretty smart dude, I have other avenues open to me."
Anderson Silva Injured, But Is 'Optimistic About His Recovery'
Dana White won't like the sound of this. According to a Tatame report, UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva suffered a knee injury in training. He will be assessed later today, but it's very possible that it could impact his July 7th bout with Chael Sonnen at UFC 148:
UFC middleweight champion, Anderson Silva was honored by Brazilian Taekwondo Confederation this Monday, but the day wasn't all about good news.
The fighter revealed to the press that he got his knee injured on a training session, and that he's getting tested today to see how serious it is. Despite that, the champion was not limping during the ceremony, and seemed optimistic about the recovery.
Roy Nelson Had a Message for Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta After His UFC 146 Win
Judging by the aftermath of UFC 146, Roy Nelson‘s fight against Dave Herman really was make it or break it for the former Ultimate Fighter winner.
UFC president Dana White said after the event ended that he met with Nelson along with UFC owner Lorenzo Fertitta recently and had a very long talk about his future with the organization.
White says the meeting was similar to conversations he’s had about Nelson in private and public, and that his long term goals for him are always the same: take fighting more seriously, get in shape, and make a run at this thing or it may not work out.
“We had a conversation with him. I’ve said it a million times, I’ve said it to him and I’ll say it again in public, I respect him, he’s got an incredible chin, he’s got punching power, and I always talk about him taking his career serious and not training in his garage, and being in really good shape. The guy is tough,” White said after UFC 146 ended.
Nelson has never shied away from being the “every man” when it comes to his physique in MMA. He’ll probably never have six-pack abs or a chiseled frame, but Nelson goes out and fights with as much heart as anybody in the UFC.
Alistair Overeem Will Return To The UFC, But Dana White Won't Deal With Him
It's no secret that Alistair Overeem's removal from UFC 146 was a huge headache for Dana White. Overeem failed a random test and received what amounted to a nine-month suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission. He is eligible to re-apply in late December and could fight for the UFC as early as the start of 2013. Dana White made it clear he's still not exactly enamored with Overeem after UFC 146 though (transcription via MMA Weekly):
"He lied to me. He sat in front of us, he lied to us, I’m not interested. I don’t have to deal with people I don’t want to deal with and I don’t want to deal with him, Lorenzo will."
Brock Lesnar's Meeting With Dana White Reported To Have Not Gone Well
Former UFC Heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar was a very visible member of the audience at UFC 146. UFC president Dana White told reporters at the post-fight press conference he would be meeting with Lesnar face-to-face later that night and that "anything (was) possible."
Well the cold water is already being poured on that parade. Dave Meltzer reported the following at the Wrestling Observer:
Brock Lesnar and Dana White met last night. We don't have any details other than the meeting did not go well. If Lesnar being at UFC is mentioned on Raw, then I'd guess it's WWE angle. If it's not, then it's anyone's guess what the game being played is, other than there is a game being played.
Palhares: ‘Sonnen asked to train with me’
The Brazilian Rousimar “Toquinho” Palhares revealed, on an exclusive interview with TATAME, that the American Chael Sonnen’s team got in touch with his coach, Murilo Bustamante, and asked help on the trainings for the Anderson Silva fight, slated for UFC 148.
Mirko Cro Cop Earns KO Win at K-1 Rising 2012
Mixed martial arts legend Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic continued his kickboxing resurgence on Sunday afternoon, flattening Loren Javier Jorge with a left uppercut midway through the pair's heavyweight superfight at K-1 Rising 2012 in Madrid, Spain.
Full fight is at the link.