BAMMA 9: Marshman vs. Watson set for March 24th
(Feb. 9, 2012) BAMMA, Europe’s leading Mixed Martial Arts promotion, is excited to announce that BAMMA-Lonsdale’s British Middleweight Champion, Jack Marshman, is set to challenge Tom ‘Kong’ Watson for the BAMMA World Middleweight belt at BAMMA 9. BAMMA 9 takes place on Saturday 24th March at Birmingham’s National Indoor Arena.
BAMMA’s Middleweight champs have made waves as two of the promotion’s most iconic faces. Etched into UK mainstream memory as the man who beat Alex Reid at BAMMA 4, World Middleweight Champ Tom Watson is known by fight fans for his catalogue of tough victories over fighters that include the UFC’s John Maguire at BAMMA 1 and Maurilo Rua whom he famously blasted into retirement at BAMMA 6. BAMMA-Lonsdale’s British Middleweight Champion and serving British Armed Forces Afghan vet, Jack Marshman comes into the fight undefeated with a record of 10-0-0. Marshman wowed audiences at BAMMA 7 with his tremendous heart, after he came back from a sustained Ground ‘n’ Pound battering at the hands of Carl Noon, turning fortune around at the final hour to secure an unforgettable victory. Marshman went on to a three round war at BAMMA 8 in which he defeated title challenger Leeroy Barnes, who will be also fighting at BAMMA 9 against Nick Nembhard. The clash between BAMMA’s World Middleweight and British Middleweight champions is bound to have fight fans on the edge of their seats.
Nick Diaz tests positive for marijuana metabolites, faces discipline following UFC 143
Carlos Condit and Nick Diaz may ultimately fight again someday, but it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon.
Former Strikeforce champion Diaz tested positive for marijuana metabolites following his controversial five-round clash with former WEC titleholder Condit at this past weekend's UFC 143 event.
That's according to Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer, who today emailed the event's drug-testing results to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Diaz was one of 18 fighters on the card tested for performance-enhancing drugs and drugs of abuse. The remaining tests received to date have thus far all been negative.
Diaz will ultimately have to appear before the NSAC to address the failed screen. Barring a successful appeal, the offense will serve as Diaz's second infraction under the commission's watch. Diaz also tested positive for marijuana following a 2007 win over Takanori Gomi at PRIDE 33. Diaz was suspended for six months for that offense, and the result of the bout was changed to a no-contest.
Nick Diaz Test Positive For Marijuana
one minute ago:
NSAC announces Diaz tested positive for "marijuana metabolites, add that "a complaint for disciplinary action against Diaz has been filed."
EDIT: The Nevada Athletic Commission has confirmed that Nick Diaz tested positive for marijuana at UFC 143 and will face disciplinary action, almost certainly canceling his planned rematch with Carlos Condit and throwing his future into question.
"Mr. Diaz tested positive for marijuana metabolites. A complaint for disciplinary action against Mr. Diaz has been filed," Nevada Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer wrote in a statement distributed to the media.
Former TUF Finalist Kris McCray Signs with Bellator
Former ‘Ultimate Fighter’ finalist Kris ‘Savage’ McCray has signed a multi-fight deal to compete in Bellator Fighting Championships.
Sources close to the fighter confirmed the deal to MMAWeekly.com on Thursday.
Since his exit from the UFC, McCray has racked up two wins in a row on the regional fighting circuit and will not hope to continue that success as he competes for Bellator starting later this year.
Dan Henderson Doesn’t Want To Wait For Jones-Evans Winner After All
It turns out Dan Henderson doesn’t want to wait to fight the Jon Jones vs. Rashad Evans winner after all.
Dana White said last week that he did, but Hendo recently told ESPN he said no such thing.
“That was never what I said or anything. I don’t know who said that, but it wasn’t me. My thoughts were I was waiting to see what happened with Rashad [Evans] and Phil Davis. That was the only thing I was going to wait for.”
Nevada State Athletic Commission Confirms Positive Test at UFC 143
Feb 9, 2012 - The Nevada State Athletic Commission has confirmed that someone tested positive for a banned substance in drug testing at UFC 143. What has not yet been confirmed is who that someone was, or what that substance was.
In an e-mail to the media sent on Thursday, Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer acknowledged that there has been great sustained interest in knowing what the results of drug tests were at UFC 143, and he confirmed that someone tested positive. But he declined to elaborate further than that.
"Thank you for the many email and phone calls. I am still waiting for all the steroid and drug test results to come back. We did have at least one positive test. I will send out an email later today on that matter," Kizer said in his e-mail, in which the word "many" was bolded.
Andreas Kraniotakes vs. Dmitry Poberezhets headlines Cage Warriors 46 on Feb. 23
A heavyweight matchup featuring Andreas Kraniotakes (12-5) against Dmitry Poberezhets (10-4-1) headlines this month's Cage Warriors 46 event in Kiev, Ukraine.
Cage Warriors officials recently announced the Feb. 23 bout, which streams live on MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
While the lineup is still being finalized, Phil Harris (19-9) vs. Remi Morvan (8-6) also takes place at Cage Warriors 46.
Cage Warriors 46 marks the third event for the promotion in a 13-day span that begins with this weekend's Cage Warriors Fight Night 3 event, which also streams live on MMAjunkie.com.
The hosting venue for the fight has yet to be announced.
UFC coming to Hawaii with or without BJ Penn
The UFC’s goal of landing in Hawaii is still happening, but not the way they wanted.
The promotion has long talked about landing on the island where MMA continues to be a thriving and very popular sport, but their best laid plans took a hit last October.
According to UFC President Dana White, the plan for the UFC’s first ever show in Hawaii was to have former lightweight and welterweight champion B.J. Penn headline a card at the Aloha Bowl.
Unfortunately when Penn lost to Nick Diaz at UFC 137 last October, the Hawaiian has opted to take some much needed time off and it threw a bit of a monkey wrench into their plans.
“We’re still working on that, but we want to do it. I was kind of hoping to go to Hawaii again and do a B.J. (Penn) fight at the Aloha Bowl, but B.J. wants to take some time off. He’s going to relax for a while,” White revealed about the UFC going to Hawaii.
Showtime Committed to Women's MMA
When UFC parent company ZUFFA bought Strikeforce, quick examination of previous promotion purchases indicated that the UFC was probably going to eat the good parts and leave the rest in the trash. When the UFC bought the WFA, Pride, and even after time the WEC, the best fighter contracts were taken, and the promotion itself ceased.
And the WFA, Pride, and WEC were the lucky ones. Other competitors, like the IFL, Affliction, and EliteXC simply closed the door and turned off the lights.
Many expected the same treatment for Strikeforce, but at least for now, the promotion is going strong. This is due largely to a deal with Showtime Sports. No broadcast partner, no Strikeforce. Now Strikeforce has signed a contract with Showtime, and the promotion lives.
Keith Kizer taking suggestions for the improvement of MMA regulation
Mixed Martial Arts rests on a vast system of regulation that is nearly invisible to the average fan. Unlike all other sports in North America, combat sport, notably MMA and professional boxing, are regulated by the government, at the State, Provincial, Tribal, and Municipal levels.
One of the most influential and respected regulators in the world is the executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, Keith Kizer, and he wants to know what changes you would like to see in Mixed Martial Arts.
You can email him at email@example.com. In addition, he is holding an open meeting to solicit public suggestions at 9:00 a.m. PT on Wednesday, Feb. 22, at the Grant Sawyer State Office Building in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The official statement calls for a meeting "to solicit comments from interested persons on any matter related to contests or exhibitions of unarmed combat, or any other matter within the jurisdiction of the NSAC."
Asian MMA Update: Phil Baroni To Serve As Color Commentator On Sapp vs. Thompson, ROAD FC 6 Fight Videos
Remember Super Fight League, that show in India to be headlined by Bob Sapp vs. James Thompson? They're promising to be a different mix of spectacle and sport, and while one would think that they've already accomplished that with their headliner, it looks like there's a lot more planned for the event.
MMA isn't as popular in India as it is on other Asian countries, but the show, which will be run by millionaire tycoon Raj Kundra, actor Sanjay Dutt, and MMA agent Ken Pavia, will have different ways to gather in the crowd. They will have eight fights, but to start the show, they'll be having concerts from popular musicians in India to draw the crowd in. Another strategy they're taking is to have celebrities, personalities and popular fighters on the event.
One of those personalities, as BloodyElbow.com has learned through sources close to the situation, is the "New York Bad Ass" Phil Baroni, who will be returning to the commentator's booth and will be calling the action for the March 11 event.
Cirkunov Heads South For Next Fight
Canada’s 8th ranked Light Heavyweightwill head south of the border for his next fight as Misha Cirkunov (5-1) will challenge Aaron “Tex” Johnson (9-9) at KO Kings in Atlanta, Georgia on March 17.
Tap Star product Cirkunov last fought this past December and earned a unanimous decision victory over prospect Ali Mokdad at the Score Fighting Series’ Meltdown in the Valley. A ground specialist Cirkunov holds many accolades on the national grappling scene including Canadian Junior National Judo Champion, two-time Canadian Junior National Freestyle Wrestling Champion, Canadian Junior National Greco-Roman Wrestling Champion and North American ADCC Trials Champion. In only 2 years in the sport this Jiu Jitsu phenom holds notable wins over Ricardo Francois and Ion Cherdivara and has shown great strides in pick up the striking aspect of MMA developing a solid jab and much better footwork.
Chase Gormley vs. Brandon Sayles completes Friday's XFC 16 event
Two-time UFC veteran Chase Gormley (7-4) has agreed to fill the final open slot on Friday's XFC 16 event and now meets Brandon Sayles (2-0) in a super heavyweight contest.
The two meet on the main card of the Xtreme Fighting Championships' event.
Featuring a lightweight bout between former WEC champ Jamie Varner and UFC veteran Drew Fickett, "XFC 16: High Stakes," takes place Feb. 10 at Knoxville Civic Auditorium-Coliseum in Tennessee. The main card airs live on HDNet.
Gormley seeks his first win since May 2010. The Californian is best known for a two-fight octagon stint that featured losses to Brendan Schaub and Stefan Struve. He's since gone 1-2 on the regional scene, defeating Ryan Fortin in his first post-UFC fight before losing to Beau Tribolet and Mike Whitehead.
Bellator 64, Askren vs. Lima, take place April 6 in Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Bellator Fighting Championships' first season-six event in Canada takes place on April 6 as The Colosseum at Caesars Windsor hosts Bellator 64.
Bellator officials today revealed the booking.
Bellator welterweight champion Ben Askren (9-0 MMA, 6-0 BFC) faces season-five tournament winner Douglas Lima (21-4 MMA, 3-0 BFC) in the evening's main event.
"The support we have received in Canada has been nothing short of spectacular, so when we had the chance to bring Bellator to Windsor, it was an easy decision," Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney stated. "Ben Askren vs. Douglas Lima will showcase two of the best and brightest stars in the world at 170 pounds. The fans watching inside Caesars and the viewers catching the fights on MTV2 are in for a great night."
In addition to the night's main event, Bellator 64 also hosts the semifinals of the promotion's season-six featherweight tournament. The opening round of that bracket kicks off March 9 at Bellator 60.
Igor Pokrajac Replaces Brandon Vera, Faces Thiago Silva At UFC On FX 3
It appears that Brandon Vera jumped the gun when he informed the UFC that he was ready to fight and wanted a rematch with the recently-reinstated Thiago Silva for his next bout. Although matchmaker Joe Silva granted Vera's request and booked the rematch for UFC on FX 3 in Virginia on May 15th, Vera went to the doctor after the fight was agreed-to only to find out that he could not be cleared to fight yet. Vera later apologized to the fans and the UFC for getting ahead of himself, but Joe Silva was already busy finding a replacement for Vera and now it appears he has one in Igor Pokrajac, according to a report from MMA Weekly:
With Brandon Vera sidelined due to injury, Thiago Silva will now face Croatian Igor Pokrajac at UFC on FX 3 in May. Sources close to the fight confirmed the new bout to MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday with bout agreements issued for the May 15 light heavyweight tilt.
Carlos Condit vs. Nick Diaz II already a no-go, says Cesar Gracie
Almost as soon as it seemed a reality, a rematch between Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit is not happening.
When contacted today by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), Diaz manager Cesar Gracie said "no" when asked if a rematch recently announced is a reality. He declined further comment.
UFC president Dana White issued a tweet late Tuesday that said Condit had accepted a rematch with Diaz and was headed to Las Vegas on Friday, presumably, to finalize a contract for the fight.
Condit manager Malki Kawa did not respond to a request for comment on the status of the bout but today confirmed the rematch via Twitter.
Rousey: Not a bit sorry to be breaking girl's arms
On Sunday, Jeff Sherwood, the father of MMA journalism, interviewed Ronda Rousey at the LA Fitness Expo. Rousey possesses a combination of skill, looks, and wit that, were she male, would make her the transcending figure that pundits believe MMA needs in order to break through fully to the mainstream.
Maybe she is anyway. Maybe Ronda Rousey is on her to becoming the face of MMA.
The interview was wide ranging, compelling, and as real as it gets.
Rousey on Cris Cyborg
"She was a detriment to women's MMA. No little girl is going to watch Cris Cyborg fight and want to be like her one day. I don't think it's a good example. I think it was obvious all along that she was doping, and I think it sends a bad message to kids that you need to dope in order to be achampion. I think it's better with her gone."
On Miesha Tate saying she talked her way into a title shot
"There's a reason why the Olympics is every four years. It's because if they had it every year, they would go bankrupt. The Olympics is the epitome of sport and that's where it's all just about the sport. But with professional sports it's about entertainment. It's about making money. The core of everything is still about the sport, but that's not everything it's about. It's hilarious when these girls are ‘you talked yourself into a title shot!' What you're really saying in a mean way is that I'm smarter than all of you, and I actually have an understanding of how this works and used it to my advantage."
Donald Cerrone vs. Yves Edwards added to May's UFC on FX 3 event
An intriguing lightweight contest between Donald Cerrone (17-4 MMA, 4-1 UFC) and Yves Edwards (41-18-1 MMA, 9-4 UFC) has been added to May's UFC on FX 3 event.
The new booking was announced on Tuesday's new episode of "UFC Tonight" on FUEL TV.
UFC on FX 3 takes place May 15 at the Patriot Center in Fairfax, Va. The night's main card airs on FX.
Condit Accepts Rematch with Diaz
At the post-fight press conference, UFC President Dana White said he was open to the possibility of a rematch, but made it clear that both parties had to be eager to fight. As Diaz was so maddened by the decision that he announced his retirement immediately post-bout in the Octagon, and because yesterday Condit's camp indicated they were not interested, there was little hope that the rematch would be made.
However, sources close to the deal just confirmed with The Underground that Carlos Condit has accepted a rematch with Nick Diaz, with the UFC Interim Welterweight title again on the line.