Coming Into His Own: Bartimus
Bart Palaszewski has 50 professional fights to his name, but, to hear him tell it, his journey has only just begun.
The 28-year-old Palaszewski has worked his way into the Top 10 in the featherweight division following a first-round knockout against Xtreme Couture Mixed Martial Arts representative Tyson Griffin in October and will look to build on his momentum when he meets Hatsu Hioki at UFC 144 “Edgar vs. Henderson” on Saturday at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.
Palaszewski has been training with Team Curran since June 1999, when he was 16 years old.
“I’m still developing my game, as crazy as that sounds,” he says. “I’m just kind of getting into my own, 50 guys in.”
Earlier in his career, the Poland-born heavy hitter fought as many as seven to nine times a year, and he certainly does not miss those days.
“I think the only reason I was able to do it was because I was younger,” Palaszewski says. “My body can’t hold up to that anymore, I don’t think.”
Not only has his game evolved over the years, but he also feels stronger mentally.
Brian Stann calls out Michael Bisping; wants to 'walk straight through him with a right hand'
UFC middleweight super-slugger Brian Stann must get a kick out of fighting International competition.
On Sat., April 14, 2012, the "All American" will throw hands opposite Italian boxer Alessio Sakara on the main card of the UFC on FUEL TV 2 event from the Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm, Sweden. After that?
Bring on Michael Bisping.
Apparently Stann isn't too happy with comments "The Count" made following a submission loss to Chael Sonnen at UFC 136 last October. The brash Brit called Stann a "white belt" who was "exposed."
And as Stann explains to EsNewsReporting, them fightin' words.
Bellator 60 adds Wiuff vs. Gomez, McCorkle vs. White to prelims
A new pair of matchups is set for Bellator's season-six debut as Anthony Gomez (5-1 MMA, 0-0 BFC) faces Travis Wiuff (65-14 MMA, 1-0 BFC) in a light-heavyweight contest and Sean McCorkle (15-2 MMA, 0-0 BFC) meets Richard White (15-12 MMA, 0-0 BFC) in a super-heavyweight bout.
Bellator officials today confirmed the matchups with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Both preliminary-card fights are scheduled for Bellator 60, which takes place March 9 at The Venue at Horseshoe Hammond in Hammond, Ind.
The night's main card, which includes featherweight champ Joe Warren vs. Pat Curran, airs on MTV2 (and in high-definition on EPIX), and prelims stream on Spike TV. Bellator 60 serves as the season-opening show for Bellator's 12-week sixth season.
WELTERWEIGHTS RYAN FORD, LUIS “SAPO” SANTOS TARGETED FOR BELLATOR 67 IN ONTARIO
Top Canadian talent Ryan Ford will likely make his Bellator Fighting Championships debut on May 4, as a welterweight confrontation between “The Real Deal” and Luis Santos is in the works for Bellator 67.
Sherdog.com confirmed the news with sources close to the fighters on Friday. The promotion has yet to announce any matchups for the event, which takes place at Casino Rama in Rama, Ontario, marking the promotion’s fourth trip to Canada in less than a year.
Joe Stevenson Signs Multi-fight Deal with Resurrection Fighting Alliance
Mixed Martial Arts veteran and Ultimate Fighter season 2 winner Joe “Daddy” Stevenson had signed a multi-fight deal with the upstart MMA promotion Resurrection Fighting Alliance. The Nebraska based promotion will be hosting their second fight card on March 30th from the Viaero Event Center in Kearney. Stevenson hasn’t fought since losing to Javier Vazquez at UFC Live last June.
“We are very excited to have him (Joe Stevenson), as he brings a never say die in your face approach to MMA that the fans love. He will not be fighting on our March 30th card, but we expect him to be on a card in late spring or early summer,” said RFS matchmaker Scott Cutbrith.
Legacy Fighting 10 shakeup: Linderman misses weight, Harris-Davila now co-headliner
Former heavyweight D.J. Linderman (10-2) apparently rushed his move to middleweight too quickly.
The Bellator vet and 185-pound hopeful came in 10 pounds over weight for his Legacy Fighting Championships 10 headliner, and original opponent Gerald Harris (19-4) now will fight Eric Davila (20-11) in the co-headliner on Friday.
Legacy promoter Mick Maynard today confirmed the card's shakeup with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Davila, in fact, was slated to fight Mike Bronzoulis (13-4-1) in a welterweight co-headliner at the event. But Davila weighed 184 pounds for the fight, so he actually proved a better fit for Harris. So despite his opponent missing weight, Bronzoulis has been scratched from the card.
Guillard 'praying' Lauzon loses to Pettis
“In the 10 losses I have in my MMA career, I haven’t rematched anyone I’ve lost to. Not once, I’ve never really cared for rematches because I felt they won, now I’ll move on. Right now, I’m at the point where this fight means something to me, I have something to prove against Joe Lauzon, so this is a rematch I’m asking for,” said Guillard.
Guillard will be watching UFC 144 with a special interest in the fight between Joe Lauzon and Anthony Pettis because to put it bluntly, he wants Lauzon to lose and then fight him later this year.
“Right now, I’m looking to watch the fights in Japan and I’m praying that he loses to (Anthony) Pettis because I want a rematch against Joe Lauzon. I don’t want to fight nobody next but Joe Lauzon,” Guillard said.
Marius Zaromskis signs with Bellator
Feb 24, 2012 - Marius Zaromskis, the flashy striker who came to prominence capturing the DREAM welterweight title in 2009, has signed with Bellator, MMA Fighting has learned.
According to a source close to the fighter, Zaromskis will debut towards the later part of season six, which is scheduled to start on March 9. Zaromskis couldn't be included in the upcoming season six welterweight tournament, which already had a completed lineup by the time of his signing.
The 31-year-old Lithuanian who is known for his athletic high kicks holds a record of 16-6 with 1 no contest in his career, with 12 victories coming via knockout.
Spike’s New MMA Uncensored Live Debuts Thursday Night
Spike TV debuts its new mixed martial arts magazine show on Thursday night at 11 p.m. ET/PT. The first episode of MMA Uncensored Live features UFC fighter Dan Henderson as the show’s first guest and takes an inside look at the downfall of Pride Fighting Championships in Japan.
The recently re-named MMA Uncensored Live features radio personality Craig Carton as host with middleweight fighter Nate Quarry and mixed martial arts veteran journalist Mike Straka as fight experts. Each 30-minute episode will be broadcast each week from the MTV Studios in Times Square in New York.
Nevada Suspends Nick Diaz's License, Prepares for Medical Marijuana Exemption Request
A temporary suspension of Nick Diaz's fighter license was issued during a Wednesday meeting of the Nevada state athletic commission, stemming from the positive drug sample he produced during the weekend of UFC 143.
The suspension was requested by Nevada deputy attorney general Christopher Eccles, and unanimously approved by the commission until a follow-up disciplinary meeting can be scheduled. At that hearing, Diaz will have the opportunity to present a defense. He was not present at Wednesday's meeting.
When he does sit before the commission, he will likely have to answer not only for his recent drug screening failure which saw him test positive for marijuana metabolites, but also for a previous failed screening back in February 2007, also for marijuana. At that time, he was suspended for six months and fined 20 percent of his purse.
During Wednesday's meeting, commission chairman Skip Avansino requested notes and minutes from the 2007 Nevada matter, as well as any related disciplinary information from other states in preparation of Diaz's upcoming hearing.
The stage was also set for a possible defense that could include a retroactive request for a medical marijuana exemption, as Eccles noted a belief that "the question will come up" given Diaz's personal license for medical use in California.
NSAC executive director Keith Kizer recently told MMA Fighting that no fighter had ever applied for a medial marijuana therapeutic use exemption, but that the commission would take the same steps as normal when considering the request.
**FREE MMA** Watch today's Cage Warriors 46 live on MMAjunkie.com at 2pm ET
MAIN CARD (MMAjunkie.com)
Andreas Kraniotakes (12-5) vs. Dmitry Poberezhets (10-4-1)
Diego Gonzalez (14-6) vs. Ivica Truscek (17-9)
Vladimir Katyhin (12-4-1) vs. Anatoly Safronov (7-5)
Phil Harris (19-9) vs. Remi Morvan (8-6)
Dan Hope (8-4) vs. Alexander Voitenko (7-3)
Neil Seery (9-8) vs. Artemij Sitenkov (13-7)
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)
Pavel Kusch (11-2) vs. Alexander Starikov (n/a)
Sergei Churilov (6-0) vs. Anatoly Starodubtsev (n/a)
James Brum (7-2) vs. Leandro Gontijo (3-3)
Facebook fights start at 9:50-10am PT and the Junkie stream starts at 11am PT.
Solid day of fights, I'll be splite screening it while in the Surprise Van for those who want to chat. jjeans, I don't understand Ukrainian if that's what the announcers are going to be speaking, so I'll need you to Skype me play by play throughout the event.
TJ Grant’s Next UFC Fight Announced
TJ Grant will face Carlo Prater at UFC on Fuel 3, according to TJ Grant’s Facebook status. The card will be held in Fairfax, Virginia on May 15th.
Grant (17-5) made his Lightweight debut in October against Shane Roller and finished him in impressive fashion. Against Prater, Grant will look to break his win one, lose one streak he has in the UFC and put together back-to-back wins for the first time in the big show.
Brandao vs. Elkins, del Rosario vs. Gonzaga and Teixeira vs. Kingsbury at UFC 146
A trio of new bouts have been added to UFC 146 including an Ultimate Fighter winner, a Strikeforce import and a highly touted free agent making his Octagon debut.
First up, Ultimate Fighter season 14 winner Diego Brandao makes his first appearance since winning the reality show last December as he faces wrestler Darren Elkins.
Brandao pulled off the miraculous comeback to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat as he beat former housemate Dennis Bermudez to capture the reality show crown. He now faces Darren Elkins, who looks to make it three in a row since dropping to 145lbs last year.
Also added to the UFC 146 card is former Strikeforce heavyweight Shane Del Rosario, who makes his return to action after a car accident in 2011 nearly ended his career.
Del Rosario is still undefeated as a pro fighter and he’ll look to keep that record in tact as he faces former UFC heavyweight contender Gabriel Gonzaga.
After nearly retiring from the sport, Gonzaga returned in January where he made his triumphant return to the UFC with a dominant win over Eduardo Oliveira.
LE BANNER INJURED; VALENTIJN OVEREEM MEETS MARCIN ROZALSKI IN NEW KSW 18 HEADLINER
French kickboxing veteran Jerome Le Banner has suffered a knee injury and will be unable to compete against Polish talent Marcin Rozalski at KSW 18.
According to an official release, Le Banner suffered a torn meniscus during his final fight preparations. As a result, Rozalski will now face Strikeforce veteran Valentijn Overeem (Pictured) in the Feb. 25 headliner, which takes place Saturday at the Orlen Arena in Plock, Poland.
Nate Quarry talks MMA Uncensored Live and the next stage of his career (MMAmania exclusive)
Nate Quarry has seen and participated in a tremendous amount of mixed martial arts history throughout his nearly 10 year professional career.
A cast member of the inaugural season of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF), he was the first participant to actually earn a title shot, although he lost to Rich Franklin back at UFC 56.
He had 10 total fights in the UFC, holding a 7-3 record in the promotion, but at 39 years old and realizing that time was no longer on his side, he's decided it's time to move on and take the next logical step.
Tomorrow night, "The Rock" will be making his debut as an analyst on Spike TV' s mixed martial arts news show MMA Uncensored Live alongside Mike Straka and Craig Carton.
The middleweight veteran spoke with MMAmania.com about his upcoming role in the show, what will help set them apart from everyone else and what fans can expect in this exclusive interview.
Check it out:
DAVID BRANCH OUT, MARIO MIRANDA IN AGAINST JAN BLACHOWICZ AT KSW 18
Polish promotion Konfrontacja Sztuk Walki (KSW) has announced a major change to its upcoming Feb. 25 event, as David Branch has been forced to withdraw from his light heavyweight bout against Jan Blachowicz at KSW 18 due to passport issues.
Instead, the former KSW champion will face a different UFC veteran, Mario Miranda, Saturday at the Orlen Arena in Plock, Poland.
A four-time UFC competitor, Miranda posted a perfect 9-0 record before receiving his Octagon call. The native Brazilian was knocked out in his UFC debut, falling in the first round to Gerald Harris at UFC Fight Night 21 in 2010.
Though Miranda rebounded with a victory over David Loiseau, he would receive his walking papers following consecutive losses to Demian Maia and Aaron Simpson. Since his departure from the UFC, the Washingtonian has posted a trio of wins, most recently submitting Dmitry Samoilov at M-1 Challenge 29 on Nov. 19.
Mighty Mouse signs debut agreement for “Sudden Death” round at UFC On FX
Demetrious Johnson, the talented bantamweight that now has the opportunity to be the first flyweight champion in the UFC, has signed a landmark bout agreement with ZUFFA for a ‘sudden death’ round for his fight with Ian McCall at UFC on FX. The agreement stipulates that if, after 3 rounds, the judges are undecided on a winner, the fight will go to a 4th round, also called “suuden death.” In a recent interview with TapouT Radio, Mighty Mouse detailed the particulars.
“I don’t know if anybody has said anything about it, and this is the first time I’m mentioning it, is that we (McCall and himself) had to sign for a ‘sudden death’ bout. If it goes to three rounds, and the judges can’t decide who the winner is, then we’ll do a fourth round.”
When asked if this new agreement was specific to his fight, or if it was universal for the entire card, Johnson had this to say,
“I’m assuming that it’s for me and Ian McCall. I can’t say if it’s going to be for Joseph (Benavides) and Yasuhiro (Urushitani), because I’m not gonna say that the UFC made those guys sign, too. I’m telling you, specifically, that I signed a contract for an extra round on the bout agreement. I’m not gonna say that they did. I’m assuming, in my unprofessional opinion, that they did as well.”
Whether this addendum is designed for the introduction of the flyweight division, or if it’s something the UFC is instituting for overseas cards in general, the concept is a good one. For all those times we, as fans, have said ‘One more round!’, this could be the game changer. Hopefully, we get some clarity on the permanence, or lack thereof, for this new twist.
Dan Hardy vs. Duane 'Bang' Ludwig slotted for UFC 146 in Las Vegas
Former title challenger Dan Hardy (23-10 MMA, 4-4 UFC) will look to end his lengthy UFC losing skid against Duane "Bang" Ludwig (21-12 MMA, 4-3 UFC).
UFC officials today announced the welterweights have verbally agreed to meet at UFC 146.
The event takes place May 26 in Las Vegas at MGM Grand Garden Arena, likely with a heavyweight headliner between champion Junior Dos Santos and top contender Alistair Overeem.
The main card airs on pay-per-view, and prelims are expected to stream on FX. It's not clear where Hardy vs. Ludwig will be placed in the lineup.
Bellator returns to Canada's Casino Rama for Bellator 67 on May 4
Bellator is returning to Casino Rama for a third time overall – and to Canada for the second time in four weeks.
Officials today announced Bellator 67 is slated to take place May 4 at Casino Rama in Rama, Ontario.
No fights are announced for the card, though it's expected to feature second-round matches from Bellator's upcoming season-six tournaments.
As with the organization's other events, Bellator 67's main card airs on MTV2 (and in high-definition on EPIX), and the prelims stream on Spike.com.
Bristol Marunde agrees to fight 'Jacare' at 'Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey'
Current Super Cage Combat middleweight champion Bristol Marunde (15-6 MMA, 0-0 SF) has agreed to fight ex-Strikeforce titleholder Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza (14-3 MMA, 4-1 SF) at next week's "Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey" event.
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker today announced the new booking.
Souza's original opponent, undefeated Derek Brunson (9-0 MMA, 3-0 SF), was forced off the card on Tuesday after failing a pre-event vision test.
"Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey" takes place March 3 at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. The event's main card, including Marunde vs.Souza , airs live on Showtime while preliminary-card fights air on Showtime Extreme.