Bellator welterweight champ Ben Askren says he'll retire before he's mastered MMA
Of all the current Bellator champions, welterweight Ben Askren might be the least perturbed about the long layoffs typical for the promotion's beltholders. They give him a chance to get better.
"When I won a Bellator tournament, I was only a year and four months into my fighting career, maybe," Askren last week told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "My outlook was, OK, now I get all this time to actually get good at this."
Askren (10-0 MMA, 7-0 BFC), who is expected in January to defend his title against Karl Amoussou (16-4-2 MMA, 4-1 BFC), isn't selling anybody on the notion that he's a complete fighter. And he won't even come close to being one by the time he retires from MMA...
Andrei Arlovski Didn't Mind The No Contest Since He Got To Soccer Kick Tim Sylvia
Former UFC Heavyweight champ Andrei Arlovski was clearly on his way to beating rival Tim Sylvia in their fourth bout at One FC 5 last Friday but some confusion about the legality of kicks to a downed opponent cause the fight to be ruled a No Contest.
Arlovski's not upset though as he explained to AXS TV's Inside MMA (transcribed by MMA Mania):
"About my fight with Tim Sylvia, it was ruled a 'No Contest,' but, to be honest with you, I don't really care. For some reason, when the referee raised his arm up, it's like he gave me a signal to kick him. Even if he didn't raise his arm up, I would have done it anyway, because Tim said, before the fight, that he was gonna kick me if he had the opportunity. It's exactly what I told Travis Browne and Greg Jackson. I told them this, and I don't really care if they disqualify me or not. If I have an opportunity for a soccer kick, I'm going to do it, and I did.
Former MMA Fighter And Instructor Wyatt Lewis Fatally Stabbed In Calgary
A well-known Alberta man named Wyatt Lewis, who had competed in organizations like the MFC and Rumble In The Cage, was fatally stabbed while trying to protect a friend over the weekend in Calgary. Lewis, an instructor at Progressive Fighting Academy in Lethbridge, was in his mid-30's and leaves behind a wife and three children. The Calgary Herald has the sad story:
Police were called to the 1000 block of 16th Avenue N.W. around 3 a.m. Saturday and found two men with stab wounds. Both were taken to hospital but one was declared dead on arrival.
Wall said he talked to one of the two other people Lewis was with when the incident happened.
He's been told one guy was hit over the head with a bottle and knocked unconscious. Lewis stepped in to help but was fatally stabbed.
MMA World Cup 2017
Having been branded as “human cock fighting” by former Whitehouse hopeful John McCain, mixed martial arts is set to join mainstream sports by having its very own world cup.
The competition will happen in 2017 and will fittingly take place at the home of the gladiators in Rome.
“Considering the history of Rome, and the Coliseum, it is the perfect environment for the first mixed martial arts world cup. It gives marquee values and it is the right tribute to history,” said World Cup Mixed Martial Arts (WCMMA) Executive Director, Edward Catucci...
A watered down version of mma?
What do you guys think?
Luke Rockhold Expected to Face Lorenz Larkin at Strikeforce on Nov. 3
Sources close to the fight confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that verbal agreements are in place for the bout, which will co-headline the card featuring a heavyweight main event bout between Daniel Cormier and Frank Mir.
Lorenz Larkin receives the next shot at Luke Rockhold after winning his middleweight debut fight over Robbie Lawler in July.
Undefeated Olympic medalist Sara McMann signs with Strikeforce
Undefeated bantamweight female prospect Sara McMann (6-0 MMA, 0-0 SF) is the latest addition to the Strikeforce roster.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today learned from multiple sources close to the former Olympic wrestling silver medalist that McMann has signed a multi-fight deal with the promotion.
McMann could debut as soon as the promotion's recently-announced Nov. 3 event, but an opponent has yet to be determined. Exact terms of the deal were not disclosed.
The 31-year-old McMann fought most recently at July's Invicta Fighting Championships 2, where she earned a hard-fought decision win over submission ace Shayna Baszler. It was McMann's sixth consecutive win as a professional, all of which came in a 14-month span.
Strikeforce heads to Oklahoma City for Daniel Cormier vs. Frank Mir on Nov. 3
Undefeated Strikeforce heavyweight and former Oklahoma State University wrestler Daniel Cormier (10-0 MMA, 7-0 SF) will enjoy a bit of home-field advantage against UFC import Frank Mir (16-6 MMA, 14-6 UFC).
USA TODAY Sports has learned from sources close to the event that Cormier and Mir's three-round crossover bout will headline a Nov. 3 Strikeforce card at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City.
The evening's main card airs on Showtime (10 p.m. ET/PT) following prelims on Showtime Extreme (8 p.m.).
Michael Bisping Considering Eventual Return to Light Heavyweight
Michael “The Count” Bisping is scheduled to face Brian Stann at UFC 152 in Toronto in hopes of moving into a contender slot in the middleweight division, but the Brit isn’t ruling out an eventual return to the light heavyweight division.
“I think about it every time I want to eat pizza and can’t,” Bisping said recently during an online chat hosted by MMAWeekly.com content partner Yahoo! Sports.
Bisping had a successful run in the 205-pound division, including winning The Ultimate Fighter 3. He’s competed most of his career as a light heavyweight, but after losing to Rashad Evans at UFC 78, he decided to make the drop to middleweight.
The outspoken Englishman feels middleweight is where he should be at this point in his career, but the thoughts of a 205-pound return remain.
“But seriously, I do think about it. I was 15-1 at 205 pounds, but 185 pounds is where I should be right now.”
Lyoto Machida May Have to Fight Again Before Title Shot, but Knows He Made Right Decision
Lyoto Machida wants nothing more than to get a second chance to face Jon Jones for the UFC light heavyweight title, but he also wants to be fully prepared.
Following Dan Henderson’s injury that forced him out of UFC 151, Jon Jones was left in the midst of a shuffle of opponents, eventually shifting to UFC 152 on Sept. 22. It was Machida that got the first call to step in and face him in Toronto.
Machida was afforded the rematch with Jones after knocking out Ryan Bader at UFC on Fox 4 in early August, but never imagined the fight would come together so quickly.
Ultimately, Machida opted to pass on the title shot on short notice because he knows that a second loss to Jones would essentially mean never getting another crack at the belt so long as he holds it.
As feud with AKA's Javier Mendez lingers, Josh Koscheck eyes return at UFC 155
One of the biggest spats in MMA right now isn't between a pair of fighters.
Former UFC welterweight title contender Josh Koscheck has been more than outspoken about his disdain for Javier Mendez, the founder and head trainer of Koscheck's former gym, American Kickboxing Academy.
The feud between the two has spilled over in interviews with Koscheck, on his Twitter account and, most recently, in episodes of the new AKA-based reality show "Fight Factory," which airs on nuvoTV.
Bellator hosting six tourneys per season in 2013, wants three annual title defenses
As expected Bellator is expanding from four tournaments per season to six beginning in 2013.
According to Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney, it's all part of the organization's goal to have each of its titles defended three times per year.
In the past 12 months, Bellator's eight titles have been defended just six times total. But with the move from MTV2 to the bigger Spike TV in 2013, that should change.
Junior dos Santos on Alistair Overeem: "He deserves a beating and I will arrange it."
With quite a bit of time on his hands before he opens camp to prepare for a rematch with former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez on Dec. 29 at UFC 155, current heavyweight champ Junior dos Santos is fuming.
Not over Jon Jones or the cancelled UFC card, not over Thales Leitas' disparaging comments toward his friend and training partner Anderson Silva, but over comments made back in early July by suspended heavyweight challenger Alistair Overeem.
The two heavyweight juggernauts were expected to square off back in May at UFC 146, but Overeem was suspended for 9-months in April after a surprise drug test revealed that he had elevated testosterone levels. It's a suspension that dos Santos welcomed according to Overeem.
"I know [Junior dos Santos] didn't want to fight me in the first place," Overeem told MMA Fighting. "I know he was happy [about the NSAC decision], I just know that. I hit very hard, I've knocked out a lot of people, I've submitted a lot of people. I am, in any way you look at it, a legitimate threat to his title. I'm gonna get it. He knows that. Cain (Velasquez) is also doing very well right now, but Cain doesn't hit as hard as I do. Cain is smaller than I am and has less experience. I'm the biggest legitimate threat out there, that's why he's afraid."
UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo Unhurt In Minor Motorcycle Accident
UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo was involved in a minor motorcycle accident in Brazil on Saturday, but was unhurt. According to a Fighters Only article, the incident actually led to a somewhat amusing conclusion - Nova Uniao coach Andre Pederneiras asked Aldo to only take taxis until his October 13th title defense against Frankie Edgar at UFC 153. Here's what Fighters Only had to say:
The fighter was riding on Copacabana towards his home in Barrio do Flamengo when a Citroen suddenly turned the corner and hit his motorcycle. The motorist stopped to help him and was surprised when the passersby began to ask for autographs.
Team mates Luis Ramos and Alexandre Baixinho, who live close to the place where "Scarface" was involved in the car crash, showed up immediately and took Aldo to the gym for a meet with head coach Andre Pederneiras.
After checking that everything was OK with Jose, "Dede" recommended his athlete only to take taxis until October 13th, the date in which he will face off Frankie Edgar.
Later that day, Aldo led his beach soccer team back from a 2-0 halftime deficit by scoring a hat trick in the second half to claim a 3-2 victory. So he's perfectly fine. Still a scary incident though.
Five Fighters Who Had Career Changing Wins at ONE FC: 'Pride of a Nation'
The New York Badass put his money where his mouth is by blowing away Rodrigo Ribeiro in less than a minute and then celebrating in style (see above!) The win improves his overall record to 15-15 and he is 1-1 for ONE FC, 2-2 since getting cut from the UFC and 5-5 in his last 10 fights, which adds a certain sense of symmetry.
Ribeiro was 9-8 going into the fight and is a third degree BJJ black belt and a veteran of the Brazilian scene. He is no pushover and went the full three rounds with Rustam Khabilov (who just signed with the UFC) in his last fight but Baroni blew him away in a first round frenzy.
This was one of the most impressive performances of Baroni's career and was reminiscent of his famous UFC win over Dave Menne. He is back in the mix in the ONE FC welterweight division and next time he fights it is likely to be on the main card with Fabricio Monteiro and Gregor Gracie two potential opponents.
The Agony of the Injury: UFC's 2012 Badly Slowed by Health Woes
It doesn't take a statistical analysis to innately understand that injury woes have ravaged the UFC schedule in 2012. Still, with two-thirds of the year completed, a look at the numbers makes it clear exactly just how bad it has been.
So far this year, the UFC has had no fewer than 78 fights canceled due to injury, an MMA Fighting examination of records shows. To put that into perspective, that number of injuries is just two less than the total number of fights produced by the UFC in all of 2005...
Will Campuzano vs. Jimmy Flick flyweight title fight added to Legacy FC 16
Will Campuzano (10-4) and Jimmy Flick (5-0) will give it another try.
After their initial fight was scratched, the 125-pounders have been rebooked for Legacy Fighting Championship 16, where they'll fight for the organization's inaugural flyweight title.
The event takes place Dec. 14 at Allen Events Center in Allen, Texas, and the main card airs on AXS TV.
ONE FC eliminates 'open-attack' rule, adopts full PRIDE rules for soccer kicks
ONE Fighting Championship has eliminated its "open-attack" rule for soccer kicks, officials today announced.
The decision came a few days after the often-confusing rule resulted in an Andrei Arlovski vs. Tim Sylvia heavyweight contest being declared a no-contest this past weekend at ONE FC 5.
Instead, soccer kicks are now legal at all times, and the referee no longer has to distinguish when they're an option.
"Effective immediately, ONE FC has adopted full PRIDE rules for soccer kicks," the organization announced via Twitter.
The organization's next event, "ONE FC 6: Rise of the Kings," will be the first to feature the rules change. The event takes place Oct. 6 at Singapore Indoor Stadium in Singapore, and it's again expected to be available as an online pay-per-view.