Florian Hospitalized With Staph Infection In Knee
UFC lightweight contender Kenny Florian has been hospitalized in Boston with a staph infection in his right knee. The two-time title challenger returned from vacationing in Antigua on Sunday and was admitted to the hospital after a checkup visit earlier Monday, according to his brother and trainer Keith Florian.
“Kenny had a bursa sac in his knee that popped and it got infected with staph,” said the younger Florian brother, “and now he has to have intravenous antibiotics and a minor surgical procedure to scoop it out tomorrow.”
Florian also told Sherdog.com that doctors would test the material removed from the fighter’s knee to make sure they know what they are dealing with and to gauge the seriousness of the infection. Worries about MRSA -- a particularly stringent strain of staphylococcus bacteria -- are the reason for the extra measure
No UFC 113 Prelims On Spike, But 114 Special In The Works
Spike TV will not air another of it's "UFC Prelims" specials before the upcoming UFC 113 event in May, but is planning another such special before UFC 114 later that month. This move is to insure spots are available for events later this year. The 114 prelims special is expected to feature Dong Hyun Kim vs. Amir Sadollah and Efrain Escudero vs. Dan Lauzon.
Fedor Interested in Silva Fight if Werdum Falls Through
Fedor Emelianenko says Antonio Silva could be his next opponent if negotiations to fight Fabricio Werdum fall through.
Fedor revealed the back-up plan and reiterated his commitment to M-1 Global (he owns a stake in the company) during a press conference at the M-1 Selection Eastern Europe event over the weekend in Moscow.
Gegard Mousasi Wants to Be Heavyweight Champion of the World
Gegard Mousasi sets lofty goals for himself. So far, he hasn't had any trouble reaching them.
The 24-year-old Mousasi wasn't expected to win Dream's middleweight Grand Prix in 2008 and wasn't expected to win Strikeforce's light heavyweight title in 2009. But he managed both, and as he prepares to defend his Strikeforce belt against Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal on April 17, he says his ultimate goal is to be the heavyweight champion of the world.
But that's a long way off. In an interview with MMAFighting.com, he said that for now, all he's focusing on is Saturday night's fight.
Dana White "embarassed" with UFC 112 main event, promises to "make it up" to fans
The story of Saturday's "UFC 112: Invincible" event should have been Frankie Edgar's historic upset of B.J. Penn, but Anderson Silva's early showboating, followed by an absolute refusal to engage his opponent in the latter rounds, ruined "The Answer's" chance of being the night's hot topic.
UFC president Dana White did little to hide his disgust for his middleweight champion's latest performance – both at cageside, which he left before the fight was over, and in the evening's post-fight press conference.
But White stood firm in the line of fire and owned up to his company's failure to deliver fireworks in Abu Dhabi, and he swore he'd make the night up to UFC fans.
Matt Hughes Isn't Going Anywhere Anytime Soon After UFC 112 Win
As long as he still enjoys working out and competing, that is. He detailed his plans at the UFC 112 post-event presser: "I've got three more fights left on my contract. I don't know how much longer I'm going to stay fighting. I'm 36 years old. I had a lot of changes over the last five years ... so, uh, I still love to compete. I'm I lucky guy. When I go to the gym every day I'm super happy. I have a great crew with me and wherever I go to train. As long I still love to compete inside the Octagon and as long as I enjoy working out, I'll still be here."
Dana White is pissed at the Spider
"UFC 112 Results: Dana White Says He Was Embarrassed By Anderson Silva's Performance
In the UFC 112 main event Anderson Silva retained his welterweight title with a shameful display of taunting and refusal to engage. For the first two rounds Anderson was able to hit challenger Demian Maia at will, taunting him and blasting him to the legs, body and head. Maia was unable to get close enough to land a punch or try for a takedown to get the fight into his world.
Suddenly a switch seemed to flip for Silva in the third round and he began circling, unloading with far more taunts than strikes. He seemed uninterested in finishing off the clearly outclassed challenger and one got the sense that he was looking to drag the fight out to a decision."
Caol Uno cut
"ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates -- Lightweight Caol Uno has been released by the UFC. MMA Fighting learned of the news from sources close to the situation Friday.
The Japanese fighter went 0-2-1 since returning to the UFC in June 2009. He most recently lost via first-round TKO to Gleison Tibau at UFN 21 in March"
"UFC 112: Invincible" available for free to German fans on UFCLive.com
While German mixed-martial-arts fans were dealt a stern blow with March's order from the Bavarian state office for new media (BLM) banning UFC programming on German airwaves, the world's biggest fight promotion has stepped in to assure that Saturday's UFC 112 event will still be available to all.
German fans will be able to watch "UFC 112: Invincible" for free on the UFCLive.com.
The stream will be geo-blocked and offered free only to German fans...
Looking Back at Stephan Bonnar vs. Forrest Griffin Five Years Later
On Saturday, the UFC will stage an event before a soldout crowd in Abu Dhabi, 8,000 miles away from its home base in Las Vegas. Same story, different desert. But the event is also something of landmark occasion, opening up yet another international market for the UFC.
A short time ago, though, the UFC was barely wanted in its own home country, and even its Zuffa ownership group had looked into possibly unloading the underperforming asset.
It was a company in crisis, until one match changed everything. On April 9, 2005 -- five years ago today -- Stephan Bonnar and Forrest Griffin altered the fortunes of an entire sport...
UFC terminates Lucio Linhares' contract following back-to-back losses
The Ultimate Fighting Championship has terminated the contract of middleweight fighter and M-1 Challenge veteran Lucio Linhares.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today learned of the termination from a source close to the fighter.
Linhares, who entered the UFC with a five-fight win streak that included notable wins over Karl Amoussou and Sean Salmon, went 0-2 in the UFC.
The Brazilian fighter made his promotional debut at UFC 107 in December and suffered a submission loss (via heel hook) to Rousimar Palhares. In his following fight, which came this past week at UFC Fight Night 21, a ringside physician cut short his night and awarded opponent Yushin Okami a second-round TKO victory due to Linhares' cuts and possible facial injuries.
Thiago Alves Brain Surgery Nothing More Than A Groin Shot & Superglue
Silly-sounding but true according to the man himself. In describing his recent brain surgery, Alves said "So what they do with the angiogram is they make a small incision on my groin, and they put a catheter inside. They shoot dye all the way into my brain and with the dye they can see clearly what it is, if it's something that needs to get fixed. They put superglue between the vein and the artery. That's what the doctors told me 'just tell everybody you've got superglue in your brain right now, and you'll be alright.' So that's what I'm going to tell everybody. That was the procedure pretty much."
Ortiz vs. Liddell "Definitely" UFC 115 Main Event
So says Dana White. He recently sat down with Joe Ferraro on Sportsnet's MMA Connected and once again confirmed that Chuck Liddell will face Tito Ortiz in the main event of UFC 115 in Vancouver, British Columbia on June 12: "Absolutely, the definite main event is Tito vs. Chuck Liddell. That's definitely the main event." Dana also continues to refute reports that Rich Franklin would replace an injured Ortiz in the fight.
Dan Hardy: Georges St. Pierre plays it safe to keep his belt
I wouldn't change it for the world. Even the result now. I'm a firm believer in everything happens for a reason and obviously I'm not ready to be the champion just yet. But there are a lot of positives to gain from it. Obviously one of them is the fans are now a little more aware of me and the fans that were aware of me before now, most of them, have a new respect for what I'm willing to do when I'm in there. [St. Pierre] took the win from me but he didn't take the fight from me. I wasn't beaten mentally or physically. I don't know, it must be frustrating for the fans and it's frustrating for me because I know that GSP has the kind of potential to make more of a fight out of it. But he's very good at wrestling and he chooses to stick with the safe option to keep his belt. I mean you can't hold it against him. It's not what I would do in his situation but I'm not in his situation right now, so I can't really make those calls. I certainly don't feel like I'm miles away from winning the belt. I know I've got work to do but I'm confident that it's within my ability to do it and get the belt."
Santos & Le To Return To SF In June
Although the date and fight card are not yet official, Strikeforce announced yesterday that Women's Middleweight Champion Cristiane Santos and former Middleweight Champion Cung Le will both return to the promotion for a planned late June event. No word on opponents for either but a planned Santos-Erin Toughill fight is almost certainly off. Le has been rumored to be facing Scott Smith, but SF CEO Scott Coker may have tipped his hand by mentioning Frank Shamrock as a possible foe. The main event could be Fedor vs. Fabricio Werdum but that is pending contract talks between SF & M-1 Global.