Chris Weidman: I really think I can submit Anderson Silva
When 2012 began, UFC middleweight Chris Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) was considered a bright prospect with ample potential.
After dominating Mark Munoz in the headliner of Wednesday UFC on FUEL TV 4 event, "The All American" is now a bona fide contender, and he's certain if given the chance, he could take out the division's longtime kingpin, Anderson Silva.
"Anderson Silva has been through 15 guys," Weidman said at Wednesday's post-event press conference. "All those 15 guys tried to take him down, hold him down, tried to submit him. It's not going to be easy. Chael Sonnen is that good, but he was able to get him down in every fight and put him in that position. I'm going to follow that blueprint.
"I've got the length with Anderson Silva, so he's not going to be able to play on the outside much with me. If he comes in, my takedowns are pretty good. I'll take him down. I think, I really do believe, that I could submit him and finish him. I really think I can."
UFC on Fuel 4 results - Weidman TKOs Munoz off a perfect standing elbow
As far as statements are concerned, Chris Weidman’s could not have been more profound.
The fast-rising middleweight contender stopped Mark Munoz on a horrific second-round standing elbow and follow-up ground punches in the UFC on Fuel TV 4 headliner on Wednesday at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. Weidman (9-0, 5-0 UFC) polished off the most significant victory of his MMA career 1:37 into round two.
UFC 147 drug tests come back clean
All 22 fighters who competed at this past month's UFC 147 event tested clean for performance-enhancing drugs and recreational drugs/drugs of abuse.
Marc Ratner, the UFC's vice president of government and regulatory affairs, confirmed the drug-testing results with MMAjunkie.com.
UFC 147 took place June 23 at Estadio Jornalista Felipe Drumond in Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
Carlos Condit Waiting for GSP, Not Offered Any Other UFC Fight
You’d think fans would be excited about St-Pierre vs. Condit, but that hasn’t been the case. The only thing Condit hears these days are complaints: Why isn’t he fighting Johny Hendricks? Why isn’t he defending the belt against Martin Kampmann? Interim championships are created so that a belt can be defended while the true champion is out of action, so why is Condit sitting on the shelf until St-Pierre comes back?
“The bottom line is that the UFC has not offered me another fight. I haven’t been contacted, nor has my management been contacted about fighting anybody else other than Georges St-Pierre,” Condit told Bleacher Report in an exclusive interview during last week’s UFC Fan Expo in Las Vegas. “So Georges is the guy I want. And if the UFC wants that fight, I’m content to wait for him to be ready. If it’s in November, of course.”
Alex Caceres separating himself from 'Bruce Leroy' persona
"The Ultimate Fighter 12" veteran Alex Caceres set himself apart from other contestants with a big mouth and a sendup to Bruce Lee.
But as his octagon career moves on, he's trying to find the real him.
"The more I'm growing into myself, the more I have to separate myself from that successful image," Caceres told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I can't rely on his successful image to explain myself. I have to dig deep and search within myself to find who I really am."
Caceres (6-5 MMA, 1-3 UFC), who on Wednesday fights Damacio Page (15-7 MMA, 0-2 UFC) at "UFC on FUEL TV 4: Munoz vs. Weidman," said he's not abandoning the nickname that won him so much attention, positive and negative.
"I don't regret that character at all," he said. "It was a name that was given to me. It's a name that people can relate to me, and something I can relate to, as well.
UFC 150's Herman thinks champ Silva should retire following second Sonnen win
Ed Herman thinks it might be best for Anderson Silva to quit while he's ahead.
"He beat Chael (Sonnen), the guy that came the closest to beating him," Herman told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "If he retired now, he'd retire as the greatest middleweight ever. So why risk that, in a sense?"
Because as Herman notes, there are plenty of risks out there.
"Guys like (Chris) Weidman, (Mark) Munoz, and (Tim) Boetsch are bad style matchups for him (because they are) wrestlers," he said.
Prior to his second-round TKO of Chael Sonnen at this past Saturday's UFC 148 event, middleweight champ Silva quashed rumors of imminent retirement.
But Herman isn't convinced. He thinks Silva, who beat Sonnen a second time and extended his record-setting title streak to 10, will hang up his gloves.
Rob Sinclair defends his Lightweight title against Andre Winner at BAMMA 10
This is mostly for the UK guys but this is a great fight. Should Sinclair win he will most likely secure himself a UFC contract. To be honest Winner isn't that far away from another shot himself. I personally can't wait to see this.
Oh, the event is scheduled for Septemeber 15th for those of you who don't want to read through to find the date.
Jones: Money & honor the reasons I won't fight Silva
Jon Jones has explained the reason why he will not fight Anderson Silva, labelling it a "lose-lose" situation.
"It's not that he won't fight me or I won't fight him," Jones said on ESPN LA AM 710.
"To be dead honest, it's that we both have a lot to lose and we both respect each other a lot and we both are striving for personal greatness. I don't want to crack on his greatness and I don't want him cracking on my greatness.
"We're in completely different weight classes. We both have sponsor deals and things that are really important to us and a big part of that sponsorship package is being a winner - being a champion. Having us fight each other means one of our championships goes away.
"I respect Anderson Silva so much that I don't want to be the guy to beat him. I don't want to lose to him either. It's a lose-lose situation for me."
Chael Sonnen Answers Rumors On a Potential Appeal, Retirement and Future in the WWE
Prior to UFC 148, Chael Sonnen was known as ‘The American Gangsta’ but following his loss to champion Anderson Silva they may have to change his name to the rumor killer.
Following a 2nd round TKO defeat at the hands of Silva, rumors began circulating almost immediately concerning Sonnen with tales of everything from his pending retirement to a new career blooming as a professional wrestler destined for the WWE.
After the UFC on Fuel TV 4 weigh-ins were finished on Tuesday, Sonnen sat down to answer to some of those rumors, and needless to say most were shot down like a clay pigeon at a firing range.
First up was the question about the knee strike that Silva landed on Sonnen in the 2nd round that served as the harbinger for the end of the fight.
Vaughan Lee looks to build on signature win over Yamamoto
Four-and-a-half months later, Vaughan Lee is still buzzing over what was by far the biggest win of his career.
In February, Lee fought for the first time outside his native England, going into hostile territory to fight Japanese legend Norifumi Yamamoto at UFC 144 in Japan – and he submitted "Kid" in the first round.
The win was so big, Lee on Monday told MMAjunkie.com, that he's already willing to make it a career calling card.
"It's just amazing. If I don't win another fight the rest of my life, I've still got that to hold onto," Lee said. "To submit Kid Yamamoto in Japan is the best thing ever."
UFC 148 ratings: FX prelims draw all-time best 1.8 million viewers
The UFC has set a new ratings high-water mark with cable partner FX.
This past weekend's UFC 148 preliminary-card broadcast averaged 1.8 million viewers during the two-hour broadcast, MMAjunkie.com today confirmed with industry sources.
That tops the previous high of 1.5 million that accompanied a UFC 145 prelims broadcast in April.
Francis Carmont looking to capitalize on 'Limitless' potential
Francis Carmont watched Anderson Silva's second-round TKO of Chael Sonnen on Saturday, and he knows just how good the UFC's middleweight champion is.
But for the French fighter whose nickname is "Limitless," he takes the moniker to heart. There's no reason, Carmont believes, that he can't one day be where Silva is – with a belt around his waist.
With seven straight wins and two straight in the UFC, Carmont gets his next test Wednesday against Karlos Vemola on the main card of UFC on FUEL TV 4.
UFC's Rashad Evans not heading to middleweight, camp says
Whether intentional or not, former UFC light-heavyweight champion Rashad Evans certainly got fans talking when he said he wanted to "pick a fight" with current middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva following this past Saturday's UFC 148 event.
But Evans' camp today pumped the brakes on a move down in weight.
"He has no plans to drop to 185," manager Glenn Robinson of Authentic Sports Management today told MMAjunkie.com via text.
UFC on FUEL TV 4's Njokuani focused on own UFC career with brother not far behind
With his own MMA career to deal with, 32-year-old lightweight Anthony Njokuani doesn't have much free time to worry about how his little brother views him.
Still, the Las Vegas-based fighter wants to set a good enough example for Chidi Njokuani so his 22-year-old sibling can become the second member of the Nigerian-rooted family to fight for the UFC.
"I don't worry about all of that (leading by example stuff)," the elder Njokuani told MMAjunkie.com Radio this past week. "I get nervous when he's fighting, but as far as us competing with each other to show we're better than each other, we don't really focus on that."
UFC ON FUEL TV 4 WEIGH-IN RESULTS
SAN JOSE, Calif. – MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) was on scene and reporting live from today's official UFC on FUEL TV 4 fighter weigh-ins, where all 22 fighters on the card successfully made weight.
Today's festivities took place at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., the same venue that hosts Wednesday's card, which has main-card bouts on FUEL TV and prelims on Facebook.
Headliners and middleweight contenders Mark Munoz and Chris Weidman each were on the mark at 186 pounds a piece for their five-round main event. Each looks to win impressively to strengthen his case for a shot at recently victorious UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.
Co-main event light heavyweights James Te Huna and Joey Beltran also were on target at 205 pounds. Beltran is returning to the UFC after a one-fight stint outside the promotion as a light heavyweight. While in the UFC previously, he fought at heavyweight.
Three fighters needed the assistance of the towel in order to make their weights. Rafael Natal was initially 187, but made 186 after removing his shorts. Alex Caceres immediately asked for the towel when he got on stage and made 136. And Francis Carmont was 187, but removed his trunks to make 186.
The full UFC on FUEL TV 4 weigh-in results include:
MAIN CARD (FUEL TV)
Mark Munoz (186) vs. Chris Weidman (186)
James Te Huna (205) vs. Joey Beltran (205)
Aaron Simpson (171) vs. Kenny Robertson (170)
Karlos Vemola (186) vs. Francis Carmont (186)
T.J. Dillashaw (136) vs. Vaughan Lee (135)
Rafael dos Anjos (156) vs. Anthony Njokuani (156)
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)
Damacio Page (136) vs. Alex Caceres (136)
Chris Cariaso (125) vs. Josh Ferguson (125)
Rafael Natal (186) vs. Andrew Craig (185)
Marcelo Guimaraes (171) vs. Dan Stittgen (170)
Raphael Assuncao (136) vs. Issei Tamura (135)
Ronda Rousey Nude On Cover Of ESPN The Magazine's Body Issue
Strikeforce women's champion Ronda Rousey is featured on the cover of ESPN The Magazine's "Body Issue" which hits newsstands July 13th. Rousey is one of 27 athletes featured in the magazine's online photo gallery which is online now.
Previous MMA fighters featured in the issue include UFC Light Heavyweight champ Jon Jones, Gina Carano, and Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos and his wife Cristiane "Cyrborg" Santos.
Chris Camozzi vs. Buddy Roberts set for UFC 150
Chris Camozzi (17-5 MMA, 4-2 UFC) will get to fight in his hometown.
The Denver-area fighter has been matched up with fellow middleweight Buddy Roberts (12-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) for a fight at August's UFC 150 event.
UFC officials announced earlier today that verbal agreements are in place for the fight.
Chael Sonnen: 'I broke Anderson Silva at UFC 148, but he still came back and destroyed me'
Why does Chael Sonnen have "so much respect" for Anderson Silva?
Probably because "The Spider," who stopped the middleweight number one contender in the second round of their UFC 148 title fight back on July 7, 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada, was able to do something to him that no one has ever done before.
That's according to Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White, who told The Jim Rome Show about a private conversation he had with Sonnen following the "Silva vs. Sonnen 2" press conference on the heels of last weekend's pay-per-view event at the MGM Grand.
Here's what he said:
"This is what Chael Sonnen said to me after the fight. He didn't say it at the press conference, but he said it to me. He said, 'I have so much respect for this guy, Dana. I've been competing in combat sports since I was seven years old. In that first round, when I was on top of him, hittin' him with those big elbows, I felt him break. I broke him in that first round. He came back in the second round and destroyed me. I've never seen anybody do that, ever.'"
NSAC's Keith Kizer 'Very Unhappy' With Anderson Silva Following UFC 148
If Chael Sonnen is planning on appealing his loss to Anderson Silva, it doesn't appear as though he will have a very strong leg to stand on.
According to multiple reports, Sonnen's coach Scott McQuarry is pushing to appeal Sonnen's UFC 148 loss to the Nevada State Athletic because he believes Silva intended to knee Sonnen illegally while he was on the mat.
However, NSAC executive director Keith Kizer told MMAFighting.com on Monday that he has yet to receive any formal complaint from Sonnen's camp regarding the knee. He added that Sonnen has "very limited" grounds for appeal.
Kizer stated that there are four grounds for appeal in Nevada:
1) Failed drug test.
2) Miscalculation of a scorecard.
3) Collusion (official paid off).
4) Referee misinterprets a rule (for example: allows soccer kick when soccer is illegal).
As Kizer noted, this situation doesn't fall under those categories, so he didn't appear confident that Sonnen would be able to get the result overturned.
More Coverage: UFC 148 Results | UFC News
Download New MMA Fighting iPhone App
Meanwhile, Kizer said that he spoke to both Sonnen and Silva about Silva's shoulder strike at Friday's weigh-ins following Saturday night's title fight. Kizer, who stated he was "very unhappy with Anderson" due to his actions, said that Sonnen told him and NSAC chairman Skip Avansino following the fight that he didn't believe Silva should be fined for the strike, and, after talking to Silva, Kizer said the commission took Sonnen's recommendation to heart and decided against fining Silva.
"Chael willing to forgive Anderson went a long way with me and the chairman," he said. "He was very honorable, perhaps more than he needed to be, towards Anderson."
Kizer said that both he and the chairman issued stern warnings to Silva about his behavior during fight week.
"I told him if you ever do anything like that again you will not be invited to fight in Nevada again," Kizer said.
As for Silva rubbing Vaseline off his face and onto his body before the fight, Kizer said he noticed Silva has done that in the past but admitted this time it was "more blatant that we expected." He said UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta pointed it out to him before the fight and referee Yves Lavigne was quick to wipe off the middleweight champion before round one.
Kizer was so disappointed in Silva's actions overall that he added that, "if the next few Anderson Silva fights don't happen in Nevada, it won't bother me in the least."