Big Nog Out of Mir fight Big Name Replacement Ready
Rodrigo Nogueira is out of his UFC 119 fight with Frank Mir after suffering an injury in training, a Brazilian source tells Fighters Only.
The nature of the injury was not disclosed but the source says it will require surgery. Nogueira is said to be “incredibly frustrated” by it and expects to be out until the New Year.
The fight with Mir was to headline UFC 119 and was a rematch of their meeting, which saw Nogueira stopped for the first time in his professional career.
Fighters Only has also been told the UFC has already secured a replacement and it will be “a really big name opponent”, although the source we spoke to did not provide a name.
Carwin Named in Federal Steroids Case, Newspaper Report Says
The name of former UFC interim heavyweight champion Shane Carwin appeared on a list of 22 professional athletes federal prosecutors allege obtained steroids from a Mobile, Ala.-based pharmacy between 2004-06, according to an internet report published on Friday by the Mobile Press-Register newspaper.
Carwin was among seven athletes – including pro wrestlers Kurt Angle and “Hardcore” Bob Holly as well as four professional bodybuilders – named by Assistant U.S. Attorney Donna Dobbins at the sentencing of Alabama pharmacist J. Michael Bennett. Bennett, one of five men recently found guilty of "participating in a nationwide conspiracy to illegally sell anabolic steroids," was sentenced to four years in prison, according to the report.
MM-Eh! Ontario Legalizes MMA
Canadian fight fans may have reason to celebrate this weekend after Showdown Joe Ferraro brings word from up north that mixed martial arts is finally set to be legalized in Ontario, Canada. The UFC recently hired Tom Wright as the new head of UFC Canada and opened a Toronto office to help increase the promotion's presence in Ontario. The strategy apparently worked, according to Canadian UFC lawyer Noble Chummar, who shared the good news with our friends at MMACanada.net earlier today: "Mixed Martial Arts is now regulated in the province of Ontario! Two years ago we have been working around the clock, in meetings with Dana White to get this done. The UFC has been in Ontario 5-10 times which has indicated that Premier Dalton McGuinty is in touch with what the people want. It's a great day for MMA fans and a great day for the UFC!" Ontario likely will use the Unified MMA Rules and will probably hold their first regulated MMA event in 2011.
Ben Saunders Cut from the UFC
"The Ultimate Fighter 6" quarterfinalist and one-time UFC welterweight contender Ben Saunders (8-3-2 MMA, 4-3 UFC) received his UFC walking papers.
The 27-year-old fighter announced the news via Twitter.
Although once of the UFC's fastest-rising and most-exciting 170-pound prospects, Saunders recently suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Dennis Hallman for his third defeat in four fights.
Saunders vows to fight his way back to the organization.
Fedor Hints At SF Contract Renewal, Still No Interest In UFC
Two months removed from his first loss in nearly 10 years, Fedor Emelianenko is confident his future – and a contract extension with Strikeforce – soon will be finalized. The former PRIDE champion recently suffered an upset submission loss to fellow top-10 heavyweight Fabricio Werdum at a June Showtime-televised event. Although no return date or opponent have been determined, Emelianenko recently said his management team and Strikeforce officials are ready to move forward. "So far I feel very comfortable fighting, very good with my fighting, and I'm planning [to fight] as long as I can physically," he recently told m-1global.com, the official site of M-1 Global. "As far and I'm concerned we should discuss the possibility of signing another contract for four to six fights." Regardless of what the future holds for Emelianenko, one thing now seems very unlikely: a move to the UFC, the world's top MMA promotion. "For now [we work] with Strikeforce, and we are concentrating on that," he said. "The contract is not over yet. So for now we don't have any interest in the UFC."
Joe Riggs: 'Sarah Kaufman is lucky to be on TV, the men are what people are here to see'
"I don't know what that [Sarah Kaufman] is talking about. She's lucky to even be on TV. As long as [women fighters] don't say things like they don't want to be on the Challengers card and they want to be main events than they're good. We're the show. The men are what people are here to see."
Strikeforce Challengers 10 headliner Joe Riggs doesn't mind being on a "Challengers" card -- but does mind when 135-pound Women's Champion Sarah Kaufman complains that she's not getting enough exposure as a division champion. "Diesel" faces Louis Taylor in this Friday's main event on a card that features a women's elimination tournament to determine a future contender for Kaufman's belt. So how about it Maniacs, are you tuning in to see Riggs do his thing or the ladies do theirs?
Manager: 'Really Good Chance' Scott Smith Headed to Welterweight Division
Scott Smith is one of the more popular middleweights in Strikeforce, but according to his manager Mike Roberts, "Hands of Steel's" days of fighting at 185 may be on the verge of coming to end, at least for now.
Roberts said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour that Smith, who most recently lost to Cung Le in June via second round KO, is seriously considering dropping down to welterweight.
Mike Swick Says He Was Misdiagnosed With Stomach Disorder
Mike Swick learned recently following his February loss to Paulo Thiago that for the past four years, he's been a victim of a misdiagnosis.
"I've been dealing with a medical condition for the last several years," Swick revealed in a video blog posted Monday. "It's affected every part of my life and it's been an absolute nightmare."
Swick says he was told he had the stomach disorder dyspepsia when in reality he had esophageal spasms with acid reflux.
Strikeforce Will Hold Middleweight Tournament After All
Last month, MMA Fighting first reported that Strikeforce had hoped for a one-night middleweight title tournament to be held at its Aug. 21 card in Houston, but the Texas commission's rules put a stop to that plan.
Instead, the promotion set a middleweight title fight for the same night between Tim Kennedy and Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza to crown a champion in the division after Jake Shields vacated the belt by leaving for the UFC.
Chael Sonnen Believes 'the Party Ain't Over Yet'
Following his heart-breaking loss to Anderson Silva Saturday night, Chael Sonnen made it very clear at the post-fight press conference that he wanted an immediate rematch against Silva.
That wasn't just his emotions talking. Sonnen obviously thinks he has what it takes to beat the middleweight champion, and his manager, Mike Roberts, backed up his client on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour.
Roberts said that both he and Sonnen met with the UFC Monday to talk about what's next for Sonnen, and in that meeting, Sonnen let it be known that he is ready to dance again with "The Spider."
Gary Goodridge Says He Still Hasn't Been Paid for New Year's Eve Bout in Japan
It's a little more than eight months since MMA veteran Gary Goodridge fought Gegard Mousasi at FEG's Dynamite!! 2009 New Year's Eve show in Japan. Eight months, and still he hasn't seen a single penny of the money he's owed for that bout, Goodridge told MMA Fighting earlier Wednesday.
"I'm pissed off. I'm fed up. I want my money," said the 44-year-old Goodridge. "Of course, you're like any other fighter at first, you stay quiet. You think, I stake my reputation and my whole career with these people. Of course they're gonna pay. Of course they're gonna pay, since my whole livelihood came from them in the last 13 years. Now it's eight months and it's quite obvious I'm not getting paid. So I'm going to open my mouth now."
Lombard vs. Shlemenko Bellator Title Match Likely for October 28
Hector Lombard steps back into the Bellator cage on Thursday when he faces Herbert "Whisper" Goodman in a non-title matchup, but the Cuban middleweight will have little time to rest upon the bout's conclusion.
The Bellator middleweight champion is likely to defend his belt against No. 1 contender Alexander Shlemenko on Oct. 28 at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Florida, Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney told MMA Fighting.
The championship scrap will likely be dependent on Lombard's health coming out of the Goodman fight, a non-title bout which also emanates from the Hollywood Hard Rock Hotel & Casino and airs live on Fox Sports Net at 8 pm ET.
Bellator 24 Weigh-Ins: All On Weight, But 2 Fights Off
All fighters competing in tonight's Bellator 24 event, including middleweight champ Hector Lombard (185.5 pounds) and fellow headliner Herbert Goodman (183.5), successfully made weight for the show. The weigh-ins took place Wednesday at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Fla., which also hosts tonight's FOX Sports Net-televised event and season-three opener. However, the weigh-ins also confirmed the loss of two-preliminary card bouts. Bouts of Nico Parella vs. Efrain Ruiz and Frank Carrillo vs. Moyses Gabin have both been scratched from the untelevised portion of the card. Parella pulled his groin and Gabin suffered a broken foot.
Barry to train with Cro Cop and Lesnar
Seemingly every day, Pat “HD” Barry increases his growing legion of fans. Add Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and Brock Lesnar to the list. Barry recently told the panel of Cage Radio that both “Cro Cop” and Lesnar have invited the Roufusport fighter to train alongside them in preparation for bouts later this year.
Anthony Johnson Sentenced From 2009 Arrest
UFC fighter Anthony Johnson, who was arrested in 2009 on charges of domestic violence and two other misdemeanor charges, pleaded nolo, which is essentially no contest, to a misdemeanor charge of domestic violence, penal code 243, and the court dismissed the other two charges as part of the proceedings. A judge in Alameda County, CA has sentenced Johnson to 1 day in jail, 3 years probation, 8 hours community service and 1 year of domestic violence counseling. He also has been ordered to re-appear in front of the judge on September 7 to determine any restitution for court costs, as well as provide proof of the domestic violence counseling and the community service. The case has now been closed, pending the proceedings on September 7, and the additional time for the domestic violence counseling.
Strikeforce Challengers 10: Women's Tourney Format Changed
As it turns out, the women have a little less time to work. Strikeforce Director of Communications Mike Afromowitz confirmed today that the format has changed for the women's 135-pound tournament scheduled to take place at Strikeforce Challengers 10. The opening round of the four-woman competition will now be contested over two three-minute rounds instead of three three-minute rounds. Additionally, a "sudden victory" round has been nixed by the Arizona State Boxing Commission, which oversees Friday's event. The final round will still feature a three-round contest consisting of three-minute rounds. The tournament changes were first reported by MMARising.com, who also noted that judges will be required to determine an outright winner in the opening round bouts, regardless of whether the women each win a round, and draws are not allowed.
Targeted by Bellator lawsuit, Mickey Dubberly says company's claims inaccurate
Mickey Dubberly, the CEO of K.O. Dynasty Sports Management has a simple message for Bellator head Bjorn Rebney: Stop lying.
Dubberly and his client, Jonathan Brookins, are among the defendants targeted alongside Zuffa, LLC in a lawsuit filed today by Bellator that claim tortious interference was at play in Brookins' recent run on "The Ultimate Fighter 12."
But Dubberly told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he and Brookins took part in no such wrongdoing and that statements Rebney today made were filled with inaccurate claims.
Strikeforce CEO Says Sarah Kaufman Has Earned Right To Fight On Major Showtime Card
Sarah Kaufman asketh, and shall receiveth. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker recently said that the women's 135-pound champion will fight on a major Showtime-televised event in the near future. "I think she's earned her right to fight in the big show," Coker said. Kaufman blogged this past month about her frustration at being placed repeatedly on the promotion's prospects-based Challengers series instead of the more visible primetime events. After knocking Roxanne Modafferi out cold in her first title at Strikeforce Challengers 9, Kaufman vented further. "Get me on main cards on Showtime, guys," she said in her post-fight interview. "I think I deserve it. Put me on there." Coker said he didn't fault Kaufman for using the spotlight to give herself a boost. As of now, Kaufman is un-booked, but Coker promised she'll get her due when Strikeforce schedules her next bout. "She will definitely be on one of the bigger shows," Coker said. "Of course, I can't tell you if it's going to be the main event or the co-main event because that will because that will be determined by who's fighting on the card as a whole. But I think she's earned her right to fight on the bigger show, just like Cristiane 'Cyborg' (Santos) did." That next bout likely is against Marloes Coenen.