Inspired By Will Ribeiro's Plight, Jason Reinhardt Seeks Big-Stage Win At UFC 127
Jason Reinhardt has been granted a second chance to make a first impression. It is both a unique circumstance and a statement that implies his initial opportunity did not go as planned, which is affirmative. After accumulating a sparkling, unblemished record on the regional circuit fighting mostly in the Midwest, he got the call from the UFC to compete on the UFC 78 card in November 2007. Unfortunately, his night would last a mere 74 seconds. Then-hotshot prospect Joe Lauzon secured a body-lock takedown, worked to assume a dominant position, and forced Reinhardt to give up his back and tap to a perfectly executed rear-naked choke. It was a harsh reality to endure for a man who spent years trying to reach the sport's pinnacle. The loss forced him back to the regional circuit , where he promptly won back-to-back fights via first-round stoppage. It was enough to propel him back into the good graces of the Zuffa brass; Reinhardt was pegged to welcome Chinese import Zhang Tie Quan to the U.S. on the WEC 51 card this past September. The proposed bout, however, simply was not meant to be. Reinhardt failed a pre-fight medical exam conducted by the Colorado State Boxing Commission that halted the matchup in its tracks.
Post UFC-WEC merger, the same matchup with Quan again was given legs by management, only this time it will fall under the UFC banner. The pair finally squares off on the preliminary card of UFC 127, which takes place Feb. 27 in Sydney, Australia. A source of further inspiration for his impeding fight is the current situation of his friend Will Ribeiro. Ribeiro, once a promising WEC fighter, continues to struggle in many facets of his life following a devastating 2008 motorcycle crash that has relegated him to a wheelchair. "I talk to him all the time on e-mail," Reinhardt said. "He's hurting. He doesn't even have food in his apartment. The only person that stuck by him is his brother (Wladimir). He can walk a little bit with a walker. He can get up, but he'll never fight again, never. I am hoping one day he can teach and still be involved in the sport.
"When I get home, I am going to do a big-fight show promotion (under his co-owned Courage Fighting Championships), and if it makes money, I am going to get the proceeds and get him over here to the United States so he can get the rehab he deserves. The guy needs our help. We can't turn our back on one of our own."
You Can Thank Dominick Cruz For A Dominant Win By Matt Mitrione
That's basically what Mitrione said at the UFC FFTT 2 post-fight presser. "He's so elusive. He uses his athleticism to make everybody else have to change their game. I mean, Scotty Jorgensen is a tough, tough little fella and Dominick made him look like a child. You know what I mean, took him down at will, head strikes coming from every angle whatsoever, finised with beautiful leg kicks or head kicks, whatever it was. The way Dominick's gameplan is and the way that he makes everybody so uncomfortable with his movement because it's so herky-jerky and so unpredictable, then poof comes a right hand or left uppercut or whatever the hell is coming. I love the way he fights man. I respect it and I told him beforehand, 'this is, I'm going to try to fight like you.' Granted, like I said, I started out a little slower than I wanted to but I'm pretty damn athletic, the second most athletic heavyweight around. As a result, I need to make people fight my game."
UFC FFTT 3 Likely In 2012, $600K Raised So Far Via Broadcast
With another successful chapter of the event series in the books, it's a safe bet "UFC Fights for the Troops" will return in 2012. Following Saturday's second installment, which came in the form of UFC Fight Night 23 at Fort Hood in Texas, Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund trustee Marty Edelman said a third event likely will take place next year. And for Edelman, who's helped raise millions for one of the world's most effective military-based foundations, improving the lives of soldiers is paramount. And that's what made fight week so satisfying. The UFC first teamed up with the IFHF in 2008 for the first "Troops" event. Through online initiatives and the night's Spike TV broadcast, the event raised nearly $5 million to help complete the National Intrepid Center of Excellence, a research and treatment center for brain injuries that's located in Bethesda, Md. This year's take will help fund research that thus far has been sorely lacking. "We asked the government and Department of Defense what was needed, and it turned out traumatic brain injury is the signature wound of this war," said Edelman, who's also been involved in the IFHF's building of a center for amputees and accompanying family housing. "So we raised $65 million and built the traumatic brain injury center, and the UFC have been our partners in this endeavor from the beginning.
"They're devoted to America's troops, they come to these events, they help us create them, and we wouldn't be doing this without them today."
Immediately after Saturday's show, Edelman said more than $600,000 had been donated simply via phone lines during the Spike TV broadcast. Millions more are expected to come through online donations and other avenues, including a UFC-related auction, over the next few days. (Make a donation at www.fightforthetroops.com.)
Anthony Pettis vs. Clay Guida headlines Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale
Anthony Pettis will finally make his Octagon debut but, as expected, it will not come against the UFC Lightweight Champion. According to Dana White, the last man to hold WEC‘s 155-pound title will in fact take on Clay Guida rather than sitting on the sidelines to wait for his promised unification fight. The bout was rumored weeks ago following the UFC President’s announcement of Gray Maynard receiving an immediate rematch against Frankie Edgar after their UFC 125 title-fight ended in a draw.
Cote draws Kalib Starnes for Ringside MMA debut in April
After a recent announcement regarding Patrick Cote signing with Ringside MMA it appears the former UFC middleweight title-contender now has an opponent and date attached to his forthcoming debut in the Canadian company. According to an official press release, Cote will fight TUF 3 alum Kalib Starnes on April 9 at the Bell Centre in Montreal.
UFC Fight Night 23 bonuses: Guillard, Edwards and McKenzie earn $30K awards
KILLEEN, Texas – Melvin Guillard, Yves Edwards and Cody McKenzie each earned $30,000 "Fight Night" bonuses for their performances at Saturday's "UFC Fight Night 23: UFC Fight for the Troops 2" event.
Guillard earned the night's "Knockout of the Night" award, Edwards got the "Submission of the Night" bonus and a "Fight of the Night" award, which also went to opponent McKenzie.
Quinton Jackson Is Probably Next In Line For A UFC LHW TItle Shot
So says Dana White from yesterday's pre-FFTT Q&A...of course this likely is assuming Jackson beats Thiago Silva at UFC 130. "(The light heavyweight) division is interesting. There's so many guys at 205, (but) Rampage is probably next in line. Rampage is still in the mix. You've got Jon Jones fighting Bader, which is going to be a great fight that catapults one of those guys into the top five. The big problem with the 205-pound division has been, Shogun's injury has been clogging up the division. So now he's healthy and gonna fight, and we're getting everything rolling here."
GSP-Silva Could Happen In 2011
Two victories are all that are needed for a highly anticipated and long-speculated Georges St-Pierre vs. Anderson Silva superfight. UFC president Dana White said if the UFC's current welterweight and middleweight championships prove successful in their next title defense, they could meet in a rare champion-vs.-champion fight later this year. "If they both win their fights, that fight makes all the sense in the world," White said. White made the comments Friday during a Q&A session at Fort Hood in Killeen, Texas. "I don't like guys fighting each other at different weights until they've done what those two have done, and they've both done it," White said after St-Pierre's latest win, a dominating decision victory over Josh Koscheck. However, the Shields fight could be St-Pierre's swan song for the welterweight division. As St-Pierre has suggested in the past, White expects the 170-pound champ to make a permanent move to 185 pounds if he were to fight Silva. That fight likely would take place at Silva's weight and would mark St-Pierre's arrival in the middleweight division. "Georges St-Pierre would move to 185 and stay at that weight and not go back to 170," White said on Friday.
UFC Adds 2 Fights To Tonight's Facebook Stream
A good deal just got even better. UFC officials today announced than a planned Facebook.com stream for Saturday's "UFC Fight Night 23: UFC Fight for the Troops 2" event will now feature four bouts instead of just two. The new additions to the stream include Mike Brown vs. Rani Yahya and Willamy Freire vs. Waylon Lowe. The stream now begins at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT) and precedes the night's Spike TV broadcast of the five-fight main card. The two new bouts join previously announced matchups of former U.S. Army and National Guard member DaMarques Johnson vs. welterweight Mike Guymon and lightweights Cody McKenzie vs. Yves Edwards. To access the stream, viewers must visit the UFC's official Facebook profile (www.facebook.com/ufc) and push the "Like" button for the page. This now means only 2 fights are not scheduled to be streamed or aired on Spike.
Alex Caceres Drops To Featherweight, Meets Semerzier At UFN 24
"Bruce Leroy" is coming to Seattle. UFC executives officially announced that "The Ultimate Fighter 12" cast member Alex Caceres is dropping to 145 pounds and faces WEC import Mackens Semerzier at "UFC Fight Night 24: Ortiz vs. Nogueira." The 22-year-old Caceres makes his official UFC debut after an often-controversial run on "The Ultimate Fighter 12: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck." While the athletic Caceres looked impressive in two submission wins while in the house, his brash, cocky attitude often drew the ire of his housemates. Caceres ultimately was eliminated in the quarterfinals by eventual finalist Michael Johnson. Nevertheless, Caceres showed enough promise to warrant a return call from the UFC, and he was expected to face Nam Phan on the season's live finale, though an injury suffered in training forced him to delay his octagon debut. Meanwhile, Semerzier enters the UFC on a rare three-fight losing streak under the Zuffa banner.
UFC Owners File Lawsuit Against Justin.tv For Copyright & Trademark Infringement
After formerly subpoenaing the live-streaming site, officials from the Ultimate Fighting Championship today announced they officially have filed suit against Justin.tv in the United States District Court for the District of Nevada. Zuffa LLC alleges copyright and trademark infringement due to the site's "rampant and illegal uploading" of live UFC pay-per-view events. An attorney for Zuffa LLC said the organization gave the website a chance to comply. "Zuffa has attempted to work on numerous occasions with Justin.tv over nearly a two-year period to encourage it to prevent or limit its infringing activities," Zuffa's Las Vegas attorney, Donald J. Campbell, stated in a press release. "Regrettably, Justin.tv has not only turned a blind eye to the massive online piracy occurring on its website, we believe it has actually induced its users to commit copyright infringement thus leaving Zuffa no alternative but to take this fight to the courts."
Joey Beltran calls on "BlackBarry" for UFC Fight Night 23 preparations
When preparing for a fight with Pat Barry, opponents usually find few (if any) training partners that can mimic the noted striker's unique and challenging style.
Joey Beltran, though, recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio he found just the man he needed.
Beltran, who meets Barry on the Spike TV main card of Saturday's "UFC Fight Night 23: UFC Fight for the Troops 2" event at Fort Hood in Texas, employed Lew Polley. Or, as Beltran calls him, "BlackBarry."
No Frills Fitch
Dana White, president of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, is rarely rested, careless by nature and often in range of people with questions and notebooks. So he says a lot, and a great deal of what he says makes no sense...
With help of Dana White's donation, baby girl survives 18-hr surgery
Eight-month-old Tuptim Jadngooluem has been given a second chance at life after she successfully underwent surgery at Ramathibodi Hospital in Bangkok yesterday.
Tuptim, who was diagnosed at three months with a terminal liver condition known as biliary obstruction, has spent over a month in hospital awaiting a parental donor liver transplant to save her life.
To keep her baby alive, Tuptim’s mother, Nit, donated part of her liver during yesterday’s operation, performed by Bangkok-based specialist Dr Sumate Teeraratkul.
After 18-hours of surgery involving mother and daughter, both are today recovering in Ramathibodi Hospital and are said to be doing well.
Johny Hendricks vs. Paulo Thiago Targeted For UFC On Versus 3
Johny Hendricks and Paulo Thiago have been targeted to meet at UFC on Versus 3. Verbal agreements are in place, paperwork pending. It's unknown whether Hendricks vs. Thiago will replace a scheduled welterweight bout between Matt Brown and Matt Riddle that was thrown into the lurch when Riddle injured his right hand and was forced to bow out.
Matt Riddle out at UFC on Versus 3; Matt Brown again without opponent
Matt Brown (11-10 MMA, 4-4 UFC) has been left to wonder once again.
Matt Riddle (5-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC), who was expected to face Brown at March's UFC on Versus 3 event, injured his right hand in training and has been forced to withdraw from the matchup.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed Riddle's withdrawal, which was first reported by Versus.com. Brown now awaits a new opponent.
It's the second time this month Brown has found himself without an opponent, as Riddle replaced an injured Mark Scanlon one week ago.
Brown has yet to be officially announced as a UFC on Versus 3 event by UFC brass.
An eight-time UFC veteran and cast member of "The Ultimate Fighter 7," Brown finds himself in desperate need of a victory.
Cesar Gracie explains why Diaz chose Strikeforce over UFC
Diaz recently signed an extension with Strikeforce. Though Gracie could not discuss the exact terms, he said reports the contract was for a three-year deal were inaccurate.
He confirmed that the UFC was interested in Diaz but noted that the decision was ultimately made to stay with Strikeforce because Diaz's brother Nate and his main training partner Jake Shields also fight in the UFC's welterweight class.
Diaz, however, is not closing the door on a return to the UFC (he fought 10 times for the promotion between 2003-2006, going 6-4).
Roy Nelson: Legal troubles have been settled
“All I can simply say is it has finally been settled, and we’ll all just live a happy life because of the legal system in Las Vegas,” Nelson told MMAWeekly Radio on Monday.
While the UFC seemed rather concerned about the legal situation stemming from the contract issues between Nelson and Square Ring, the Las Vegas based fighter didn’t believe it was a huge ordeal to begin with.