Ex-Strikeforce champ Sarah Kaufman vs. Kaitlin Young added to Invicta FC 3
Former Strikeforce champion Sarah Kaufman (15-2) is wasting no time getting back to action.
After failing to reclaim her belt with a loss to Ronda Rousey on Aug. 18, the Canadian has been booked to fight Kaitlin Young (7-6-1) at Invicta FC 3, officials today announced.
Kaufman, who's still under contract with Strikeforce, and Young initially were slated to fight at an EliteXC event in 2008 that later was canceled in the wake of the promotion's demise.
Invicta FC 3, the latest offering from the all-female promotion, takes place Oct. 6 in Kansas City, Kan., and the event is expected to stream online for free...
Mac Danzig: I'm fighting Takanori Gomi at UFC on FUEL TV 6 in Macau
Lightweights Mac Danzig (21-9-1 MMA, 5-5 UFC) and Takanori Gomi (33-8 MMA, 2-3 UFC) are headed to China.
That's according to Danzig, who today tweeted that he's scheduled to fight Gomi at UFC on FUEL TV 6.
The event takes place at Venetian Macau Resort Hotel's Cotai Arena in Macau, a special administrative region of China. It's not yet known whether the bout is part of the event's main card on FUEL TV or prelims on Facebook.
"I finally have a fight!" Danzig wrote on his Twitter account.
The Fighting Life: The Fire and the Darkness of Brian Foster
Any one who has followed this series regularly is used to being knee deep in a wordy introduction. The purpose is meant to build up anticipation and hopefully lay the groundwork for an emotional connection to the article which follows. My motive behind this is due to the fact I want these articles to give you more than you are used to reading. I want the readers to walk away from each installment, feeling a bit of what I felt not only writing, but obtaining the information. My passion in the sport of MMA is to highlight a portion of a fighter's journey and thus far I believe I've been somewhat successful in my ability to do so.
I tell you these things because this installment is going to be much different. Typically in this sport, journalists are kept at a distance for good reason. Breaking news and the race for website clicks make this a competitive environment, but based on my niche only writing fighter features, I've walked somewhat of a different path than most of my peers. I'm far from being the only media member to develop friendships in this business, but where other writers have to remain objective, I dwell in a grey area. While the following details are personal, I felt it was long overdue and this story needed be shared...
Lauzon: I thought Gray and I could be a cool angle as coaches of TUF
Being proactive paid off for Joe Lauzon last week. The UFC lightweight contender signed on to fight Gray Maynard and says he was the one pushing for the tough match up.
“I saw Gray say in an interview that he wanted to coach the next season of TUF against Nate Diaz,” Joe explains.
“He’s banking on Diaz beating [Ben] Henderson [when the two face off for Henderson’s title] and wants that title shot and, I guess, a third fight between him and Nate. So I contacted [UFC matchmaker] Joe Silva and said that I thought Gray and I could be a cool angle as coaches of TUF. They didn’t do that but later I got a call asking if I wanted to fight Gray on December 29th. Its on the main card of a huge card.”
Chad Mendes charged with battery
HANFORD — Authorities say mixed martial arts fighter Chad Mendes has been charged with battery for his alleged involvement in a bar fight last month.
The Kings County District Attorney’s Office announced today that they would seek a battery charge against Mendes, which carries with it a possible $2,000 fine and up to six months in county jail.
Kings County Sheriff’s deputies say Mendes, a 27-year-old local native, sucker punched a man in the face at the Lacey Inn Bar on July 29. Leaving out the back door, he ran from law enforcement and managed to escape capture. But witnesses at the scene recognized the famous athlete.
UFC LHW Champ Jon Jones Apologises And Accepts Full Responsibility For UFC 151 Cancellation
Two days after the atomic bomb was dropped on MMA fans with UFC 151 going down the tubes, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has taken to Twitter to address his role in the event being canceled. As you absolutely have to know by now, Jones' original opponent Dan Henderson pulled out due to injury, and Jones refused a short-notice title fight with Chael Sonnen, causing Dana White to go on a tirade towards Jones and Greg Jackson. Jones apologized and accepted full responsibility for the UFC canceling a card for the first time ever.
A guide to playing a complex blame game in the wake of UFC 151's cancellation
First it was an unfortunate situation, then a terrible one. Now it's just plain weird.
To recap: Dan Henderson gets hurt and can't fight Jon Jones at UFC 151. Jones won't accept a fight with Chael Sonnen as a replacement, which led UFC President Dana White to shift Jones into a fight with Lyoto Machida at UFC 152 and cancel UFC 151 altogether, an executive decision for which White blamed not only Jones but also his trainer, Greg Jackson. But then, hold on, Machida won't take that fight after all, so now it's middleweight Vitor Belfort stepping up a division to fight Jones in the title fight that fans have been begging for since never.
If you're not confused yet, you probably should be. I know I am. I'm confused about how Jones and Jackson came to be blamed for what was ultimately the UFC's decision. I'm confused about how Jones and Jackson couldn't see the upside of taking the fight in the first place. I'm confused about what must be going through Machida's mind to make him think he's in a position to pick and choose. I'm really confused as to how Belfort got the offer at all, unless the UFC was calling every fighter in the company directory and doing it alphabetically by last name.
Mostly I'm confused about what it all means, not just for Jones and Jackson and Sonnen and Machida, but also for the UFC and MMA in general. How did we get to a point where a 41-year-old man's injured knee could set off a chain of events that would derail an entire event, leaving both fans and undercard fighters with nothing to do and nowhere to go on what was supposed to be a big Saturday night? Who's to blame for all this? And, in the rush to point fingers, how do we know we're pointing them in the right direction?
With champ Curran sidelined, Bellator considering Freire-Straus interim title fight
TUNICA, Miss. – It's possible, but for now, it's anything but definite.
With Bellator featherweight champion Pat Curran (17-4 MMA, 7-1 BFC) likely out of action until early 2013, the organization has given some consideration to an interim title fight between tournament winners Daniel Straus (20-4 MMA, 6-1 BFC) and Patricio "Pitbull" Freire (17-1 MMA, 5-1 BFC).
Ultimately, Bellator Chair and CEO Bjorn Rebney said it'll depend on the champ's recovery timetable.
Curran, a top-five featherweight, and Straus and Freire (who both rank among the division's top 15) have made Bellator's 145-pound class one of its most competitive. However, Curran, who won the title in thrilling fashion from Joe Warren in March, recently pulled out of a Bellator 73 title fight with Freire due to a broken orbital bone.
Chael Sonnen Continues Social Media Assault On Jon Jones
Sonnen has continued his campaign against Jones by taking to Facebook and posting the following:
I am no longer permitted to speak ill of the former champion Jon Jones as we have come to an agreement. I will stop tearing him down verbally and in exchange he has relinquished his belt to me. I would like to
read a prepared statement from the former Champion.
In every mans life a choice must eventually be made. Run or fight. I said I wouldn't duck any man as champion. But you are no ordinary man. You've spoken nothing but truth in your attempt to gain a title fight
with me. My last act of cowardness is to hand over what you would have beaten out of me 8 days from today. The UFC LHW Title. Now I must refocus my life. Good luck Champ.
Jon Bones Jones
P.S. I just ordered your best selling book, A Voice of Reason from amazon, I've been told by Greg Jackson that it will help me get through this tough time. Thanks
Light Heavyweight Attila Vegh, Bantamweight Marcos Galvao Secure Title Shots at Bellator 73
Attila Vegh needed less than half a minute to dispatch Travis Wiuff in the Bellator Fighting Championships Summer Series light heavyweight tournament final at Bellator 73 on Friday at Harrah’s Tunica Casino in Tunica Resorts, Miss. It was over 25 seconds after it began.
Vegh (28-4-2, 4-0 Bellator) clubbed Wiuff with an overhand right and dropped the hulking Minnesotan where he stood. The Slovakian pounced, battered Wiuff with right hands and forced the stoppage. Vegh, a winner in eight consecutive bouts, will next face promotional champion Christian M'Pumbu for the Bellator light heavyweight crown.
Two-time Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion Marcos Galvao dismissed Luis Alberto Nogueira with second-round punches and elbows in the Bellator Season 6 bantamweight tournament final. Galvao (13-5-1, 4-2 Bellator) finished it 4:20 into round two, as he secured a title shot against bantamweight champion and Nova Uniao teammate Eduardo Dantas.
With Belcher Injured, Phil Davis vs. Wagner Prado Added to UFC 153
Less than 24 hours after Belfort accepted a fight with light heavyweight champion Jon Jones for the UFC 152 event in Toronto, Belcher is also off the card, revealing on Friday that he is injured.
“Everyone’s asking if I am mad at @ufc @JonnyBones @vitorbelfort answer is no,” tweeted Belcher. “this is a blessing in disguise. I have a spinal fracture.”
Although that sounds severe, Belcher doesn’t intend to be on the sidelines for long, indicating that he plans to return in November. He’s even got a target in mind for after he heals up.
Phil Davis and Wagner Prado’s fight at UFC on Fox 4, earlier in August, was ruled a dissatisfying “no contest” when Prado could not continue due to an accidental eye poke from Davis.
Davis and Prado will meet again, this time on the UFC 153 main card on pay-per-view, hoping to declare a winner.
Dennis Hallman-Thiago Tavares fight moves from scrapped UFC 151 to UFC on FX 5
Another change from the UFC 151 fallout is in the books, and UFC on FX 5 has yet another fight.
A lightweight fight between Dennis Hallman (51-14-2 MMA, 4-5 UFC) and Thiago Tavares (17-4-1 MMA, 7-4-1 UFC) will shift to October in Minneapolis following the Thursday cancellation of next week's UFC 151 show in Las Vegas.
UFC officials on Friday announced the change, just a day after moving three other fights from Las Vegas to Minnesota.
With Miller out, Sean Pierson now meets Lance Benoist at UFC 152 in Toronto
A day after Sean Pierson's opponent dropped out for his hometown fight at UFC 152, he has a new foe.
After Dan Miller (14-6 MMA, 6-5 UFC) was forced off next month's UFC 152 card, Pierson (12-6 MMA, 2-2 UFC) now will face Lance Benoist (6-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC).
UFC officials on Friday announced the new booking for the show, which takes place Sept. 22 at Air Canada Center in Toronto.
Ken Shamrock Roughs Up a Woman (Thought She Was a Man)
UFC hall-of-famer Ken Shamrock -- one of the greatest MMA fighters ever -- has been accused of battering a woman at a California mall ... but Ken claims it was an honest mistake ... 'cause he thought she was a he.
Shamrock -- whose nickname is "The World's Most Dangerous Man" -- was hangin' out at a mall in Modesto, CA last month when he saw two women fighting each other in front of the Coach store ... surrounded by a group of lookie loos filming the whole thing...
Anderson Silva Offered to Save UFC 151
Anderson Silva was close to saving UFC 151.
According to UFC president Dana White, Silva relayed a message through his manager Ed Soares just moments after White announced on Thursday that UFC 151 was canceled after Jon Jones turned down a fight against Chael Sonnen. The middleweight champion, who admitted he wasn't in the best shape, volunteered to fight on eight days' notice in Las Vegas against another light heavyweight fighter. Unfortunately, he was a few hours late as the promotion had already decided to scrap the event.