Fighters Only magazine announces 2010 World MMA Awards
Fighters Only, the world’s biggest Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) magazine, announces the launch of its 3rd annual awards today. Devised to celebrate success and achievement within the MMA industry, the World Mixed Martial Arts Awards gives fans across the globe the chance to cast their vote on which athletes, brands, and industry professionals have made the greatest impact on the sport in the last 12 months. Voting will take place across 20 different award categories including Fighter of the Year, Knockout of the Year, and Best Lifestyle Apparel.
Fabricio Werdum out until 2011
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker today confirmed to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the heavyweight fighter will be on the bench until January 2011. As a result, no opponent has been set for his return.
"The date is really to be determined because Fabricio is not going to fight until the beginning of next year, so he's going to be sidelined for the next five months," Coker said.
Werdum (14-4-1 MMA, 3-0 SF) said this past month that he intends to take the rest of 2010 off after undergoing a much-needed surgery on his elbow.
Tomasz Drwal vs. Dave Branch Expected At UFN 22
It appears that Tomasz Drwal vs. Dave Branch will be added to the UFC Fight Night 22 card in the near future. Drwal was to have faced Nick Catone, who now appears to be off due to an apparent injury. Branch was to have faced Aaron Simpson, who is off due to a staph infection. Drwal-Branch will be a prelim if it happens.
Spike Shuffles UFC Prelims Lineup For UFC 118
Spike TV's "UFC Prelims" broadcast for UFC 118, which precedes the night's pay-per-view telecast, has undergone some changes in the wake of fighter injuries. Initially, the "UFC Prelims" broadcast was slated to feature Lauzon vs. Terry Etim and Jorge Rivera vs. Alessio Sakara. However, with today's changes it will now be Lauzon vs. Gabe Ruediger and Andre Winner vs. Nik Lentz, the latter bumping Gerald Harris vs. Joe Vedepo to prelims. Rather than broadcast Harris vs. Vedepo, officials opted for a fight between Winner, a "TUF 9" runner-up, and Lentz. (Spike TV and the UFC traditionally feature "TUF" cast members and UFC Fight Night regulars on the "UFC Prelims" specials.)
Strikeforce Returns To San Jose On 10/9 With MW Tourney Kickoff
Strikeforce returns to it's homebase of San Jose, CA for a major show on October 9 that will kick off the promotion's middleweight tournament. Scott Coker said the organization is still discussing two possible tournament formats for the middleweight grand prix: a same-night four man tourney, or an eight-slot grand prix held over the course of two events. Regardless of the format, the winner gets a title shot with either Tim Kennedy or Ronaldo Souza, who fight for recent UFC signee Jake Shields' vacant title at next week's "Strikeforce: Houston" event. The 10/9 event will air on Showtime.
Angela Magana Off Bellator 24, Carla Esparza Faces Fujii
Although she campaigned to keep her spot on the card as late as today, Angela Magana is now off Thursday's Bellator 24 due to a foot injury. Though she got a cortisone shot and sought clearance to stay on the card, Bellator officials today opted to replace her. She was to have faced Megumi Fujii in the first round of the women's 115 pound tournament. Carla Esparza is the short-notice replacement.
Lashley Hesitant, But Open To Fight Against Batista
Strikeforce heavyweight prospect Bobby Lashley said he’d be willing to take a bout against fellow World Wrestling Entertainment star Dave Batista if that was what the promotion wanted -- though he has his reservations. “It’s not really the direction I want to move (in), but if it’s worth it and they really think he’s ready and Strikeforce wants me to fight him, I’ll take the fight,” Lashley told Sherdog.com last week. The 34-year-old Lashley, a former WWE champion who owns the ATT Altitude gym in Aurora, Colo., is in his final weeks of training for a bout against Chad Griggs at Strikeforce “Houston” on Aug. 21 at the Toyota Center in Houston. Batista, who recently parted ways with the WWE following an eight-year run with the pro wrestling juggernaut, began introductory training at the Cesar Gracie Academy in Lodi, Calif., in July. The 41-year-old Batista, who is said to have limited combat sports experience, is in negotiations with the San Jose, Calif.-based promotion. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker has already hinted at a potential bout between Lashley and Batista for one of the company’s first pay-per-view offerings in 2010 or 2011.
Will Gabe Ruediger Be Ready For An "Uphill Battle" Against Joe Lauzon At UFC 118?
J-Lau thinks that's what Ruediger has ahead of him, in no small part due to his taking the fight on short notice. "When I started this camp three months out, I was in better shape on Day 1 than I was on the final day of my last training camp. Everything is better - my punches are better, my boxing is better, my jiu-jitsu is sharper. Every single aspect of my game three months ago was better than when I fought Sam Stout. Gabe (Ruediger) has a way more uphill battle. It’s a short-notice fight. I don’t know how hard he’s been training. Some people train real hard all the time and some people take it easy. Who knows? We’ll see how it all pans out."
UFC 117: The Nogueira McBlack-Belt Gets The Last Laugh In Oakland
That would be UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva in his response to Chael Sonnen after he referred to "The Spider's" black belt as "a toy that you get in a happy meal" in his pre-fight trash talk but in the end was denied what could have been a lopsided win to usurp the Brazilian's title. "I’m a Nogueira brothers black belt, and I’d give my life for them. I say that and I don’t need to patronize them nor them me. Rodrigo is my master and Rogério is a brother and teacher to me. If it weren’t for them, I wouldn’t be here today. I decided to put on the gi as a tribute to them and for the things I’d said. I told Rodrigo I’d get the submission in this fight. I told him that. Everything worked out yet again."
Junior Dos Santos Gets HW Title Shot
As expected, his UFC 117 win over Roy Nelson means Junior Dos Santos is now in line for a UFC Heavyweight Title shot after Cain Velasquez gets his later this year. Although Dos Santos had to settle for a unanimous decision win over Nelson, Dana White said the performance was good enough to earn the Brazilian big man a shot at the belt. And while Dana didn't say where Dos Santos will get his shot, there were hints dropped about having it in his native Brazil.
Matt Hughes Out Until 2011, Taking It "One Fight At A Time"
Fresh off a triumphant submission victory over Ricardo Almeida at UFC 117, Matt Hughes says fighting will take a back seat to hunting this fall. "Early next year, I'll talk with the UFC, and we'll figure out what we're going to do," Hughes said. It was the former welterweight champion and recent UFC Hall of Fame inductee's third consecutive octagon victory after a disappointing run in which he lost his belt and dropped three out of four fights.
Sonnon Sets Compustrike Record
The moments were ticking away on Anderson Silva's long reign, and the Oakland, California crowd was already preparing to crown Chael Sonnen. To the surprise of millions, the Oregon native had dominated every minute, virtually every second of their UFC 117 middleweight title fight. The bout was so lopsided, in fact, that Compustrike sent out press alerts as the fight went on to quantify the absurdity of what we were witnessing. Sonnen, the first notice announced, had outstruck Silva 51-2 in the first round. The second alert was even more astounding. Through three rounds, Sonnen had outlanded the champion 218-11. The king is dead, the announcements seemed to be saying.
I guess it's a silver lining for Sonnen. I'm still in shock. Injured or not, I've never seen a champ get dominated like that for that long. Let alone a P4P number one. This certainly must make GSP salivate at the chance to take on Silva.
GSP-Kos 2 Likely To Be Held In Vegas
It appears that neither Josh Koscheck nor Georges St. Pierre will get his wish regarding the locale for the pair’s Dec. 11 UFC Welterweight title fight. GSP wanted it in his home city of Toronto. Kos wanted it in his home city of Pittsburgh. But Dana White wants it elsewhere and he'll likely get his wish, of course-Las Vegas. "If I could do it (in) Toronto, believe me, I'd do it there in a heartbeat," White told Las Vegas Sun MMA writer Brett Okamoto. "We're still talking about doing a fight in Pittsburgh, but if you're going to a fight, do you want to go to Pittsburgh or do you want to go to Vegas? If we're going to do a big, major title fight like that, we've got to do it in Las Vegas." Where in Vegas isn't yet known but it's likely going to be either MGM Grand Garden Arena or Mandalay Bay Events Center, but MGM Grand might be the favorite because of a larger seating capacity.
White: Alves' return should be at 185
“We were just texting a few minutes ago and he said, ‘Hey, I’m sorry about that. I’ll come back stronger,’” said White. “I said, ‘Yeah, at one 185 you will.’ He said, ‘No, I want to stay at 170.’
“It’s not like this guy has been off for a year,” added White. “He looked lethargic tonight. He looked slow. He doesn’t belong at 170. He belongs at 185 pounds.”
UFC 117 bonuses: Struve, Silva, Sonnen and Hughes earn $60,000 fighter awards
OAKLAND, Calif. – Stefan Struve, Anderson Silva, Chael Sonnen and Matt Hughes earned $60,000 fight-night bonuses for their performances at Saturday's UFC 117 event.
Struve earned the "Knockout of the Night" award, Silva and Hughes picked up "Submission of the Night" bonuses, and Silva and Sonnen earned "Fight of the Night" honors. Silva's double-bonus performance earned him $120,000 in extra pay.
Ex-Texas Longhorn ID'd in Huerta Fight
While the identity of the man who struck the woman has not officially been released by the Austin Police Department, I’ve learned from multiple sources who threw the punch.Former starting Univ. of Texas Linebacker Rashad Bobino, who last played for the Longhorns in 2008, was the individual who punched the unidentified woman from behind as seen in the TMZ.com video.
Bobino is now out of football after being cut by the Atlanta Falcons before the 2009 NFL season.
Dana Noncommital On Belfort Title Shot, Source Says It's Done Deal
Publicly, Vitor Belfort's middleweight title shot is not a forgone conclusion. UFC president Dana White is cautious about guaranteeing the former UFC light heavyweight champion a shot at the winner of Saturday's UFC 117 clash between current middleweight champion Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen. "I don't know," White said Thursday when asked if Belfort was next up. "We've got to see what happens in this fight on Saturday, but yeah, he's definitely in the mix." But a source close to Belfort says it's coming after tonight's main event. Yet White hinted that Belfort's shoulder still might be an issue and that it's keeping him from signing off on a return date. "As soon as he gets healthy, we've got to see how this all plays out Saturday and when Belfort is going to be ready," White said.
UFC 117 Weigh-in results
Weigh-ins have concluded. Looks live Alves managment had more to worry about than previously thought. The Silva/Sonnen stairdown looked intense.
Main Event – UFC Middleweight Championship
Chael Sonnen (185) VS Anderson Silva (184.5)
Thiago Alves (171.5*) VS Jon Fitch (170.5)
Ricardo Almeida (170.5) VS Matt Hughes (170.5)
Junior Dos Santos (240) VS Roy Nelson (263)
Rafael Dos Anjos (156) VS Clay Guida (156)
Rick Story (169.5) VS Dustin Hazelett (169.5)
Rodney Wallace (206) VS Phil Davis (205.5)
Charlie Brenneman (171) VS Johny Hendricks (171)
Tim Boetsch (206) VS Todd Brown (206)
Christian Morecraft (263) VS Stefan Struve (247)
Dennis Hallman (171) VS Ben Saunders (171)
*Alves failed to make 171 pounds in his return to the scales. He will fight at 171.5 pounds and be fined 20% of his purse.