Wanderlei Silva Eyes February Return, Leben Top On Hitlist
Wanderlei Silva may have needed crutches to make his way around this weekend's 2010 UFC Fan Expo Boston, but that doesn't mean he's not already thinking about his next trip to the cage. "The Axe Murderer" on Friday told fans at a Fan Expo Q&A session that he was eyeing a return to action as soon as February. Silva said he's currently targeting a February return date, and he believes Chris Leben, who has openly lobbied to fight the Brazilian at the culmination of a season of "The Ultimate Fighter," would provide a suitable return opponent.
James Toney will earn an estimated $750,000 - $1,000,000 at UFC 118
A debate has raged over who would prevail if a boxer and a mixed martial artist fought since MMA was invented in the early 1990s. No one has been able to figure out how the old-school sweet science fits in with this new-age phenomenon. At UFC 1, a fighter competed wearing one boxing glove and one free hand. Ever since, the two sports have battled for fans, media attention and bragging rights.
The UFC, led by former boxer-turned-promoter Dana White, has flourished. “MMA is the king of the [expletive] right now,” Toney said, which is another reason he’s here. He’ll make an estimated $750,000 to $1 million Saturday. In boxing, “I can’t get no fights.”
3 Fights Announced For DREAM 16
Jason Miller isn't getting his hopef-for grudge match with Nick Diaz yet, so he'll have to settle for a legend in his next fight. Miller will return to Japan to face Kazushi Sakuraba in one of 3 fights announced today for DREAM 16. Also announced are Joe Warren vs. Michihiro Omigawa and Gegard Mousasi vs. Tatsuya Mizuno for the inaugural DREAM Light Heavyweight Championship.
Pat Audinwood vs. Thiago Tavares official; UFC 119 complete with 11 bouts
A lightweight matchup between Brazilian Thiago Tavares (14-3-1 MMA, 4-3-1 UFC) and promotional newcomer Pat Audinwood (9-0-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is now official for UFC 119.
UFC officials recently announced the matchup, which was previously reported by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
The contest was created when Audinwood stepped in for Aaron Riley, who was nixed from the contest for undisclosed reasons.
Roy Jones Jr. Willing to Fight Kimbo Slice
UFC 118 has been a buzz due to James Toney's jump to Mixed Martial Arts, and now, there's another popular fighter who's crossing over. Kimbo Slice (4-2), is officially leaving MMA for boxing and could make his debut late this year. The UFC veteran and former YouTube star talked to ESPN about it:
Overeem receptive to Emelianenlo fight and drug testing, but conditions apply
Alistair Overeem thinks it's a little fishy that Fedor Emelianenko is suddenly clamoring for a fight with him.
Emelianenko's reps at M-1 Global made headlines this week by announcing the Russian heavyweight wants a year-end meeting Overeem – and not Fabricio Werdum, who submitted him Emelianenko back in June.
But Overeem, Strikeforce's current heavyweight champion, contends M-1 is playing "tricks" with the public to cut in line for a crack at his belt.
Kimbo Slice To Leave MMA For Boxing
Boxers beware, Kimbo Slice wants his bread and he's coming for it. After being cut earlier this year by UFC after a 1-1 stint following a run on TUF 10, Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson is giving up MMA in favor of boxing. Slice via ESPN NY: "I feel like a baby all over again. I'm thinking about this at night. I'm gonna be a problem in the heavyweight division. I'm going to be coming in with a bad demeanor. I want to see what it's like to break some ribs, break a jaw with one punch. This is a career move. I love fighting. I like to knock people the [expletive] out. I love engaging. Maybe some people think I'm crazy."
WEC 50 Drug Tests Come Back Clean
WEC 50 was officially a drug free zone. The NSAC today announced that the 11 fighters who underwent drug testing following their performances at WEC 50 tested clean for drugs of abuse and performance-enhancing drugs. The fighters tested at the event included main-event competitors Dominick Cruz and Joseph Benavidez, as well as winners Anthony Pettis, Chad Mendes, Scott Jorgensen, Bart Palaszewski, Maciej Jewtuszko, Javier Vazquez, Fredson Paixao, Danny Castillo and Ricardo Lamas.
Spencer Fisher Arrested On Minor Charges, Rep Expects Charges To Be Dropped
Spencer Fisher was arrested after a minor incident and has already been released after posting bail, but the UFC fighter's manager expects the charges will be dropped. Earlier this week, Fisher was arrested on a charge of interfering with an official's duties, and he immediately posted $300 bail and was released on his own recognizance. Mickey Dubberly of KO Dynasty today said the incident resulted from Fisher double-parking while picking up his daughters from school. The arrest took place Tuesday in Fisher's hometown of Bettendorf, Iowa. "Spencer went to pick up his daughters from school, and he doubled parked because there were no other parking spaces available," Dubberly stated. "The police asked Spencer to move his car, and Spencer stated he would only be a second. The police asked him again to move his car, and Spencer kept proceeding to pick up his daughters from school." That's when Fisher was arrested. He posted the $300 bail soon after. Dubberly doesn't expect any additional problems due to the incident.
Vyacheslav Datsik has escaped a psychiatric ward by tearing through a fence with his bare hands
You could live for the next ten thousand years, travel the earth barefoot, climb the highest mountain and master every religion on this planet and you will not find a single reason why this story of Vyacheslav Datsik can not be classified as 'baller'. If God truly exists, then Datsik undoubtedly bullied him in highschool. Stolen lunch money, sporadic wedgies at recess, The Almighty had it hard back in those days and all fingers should be pointed in Vyacheslav Datsik's general direction.
Brock Larson vs. Tarec Saffiedine Rounds Out Shark FIghts 13
The final piece in Shark Fights' pay-per-view puzzle has finally been put in place. Shark Fights officials today announced that Strikeforce and DREAM veteran Tarec Saffiedine has agreed to meet Brock Larson, who had already been announced for the card, on the main card of Shark Fights 13. Featuring a main event non-title fight between Shark Fight light heavyweight champion Trevor Prangley and Keith Jardine, as well as a star-studded lineup full of MMA notables, Shark Fights 13 takes place on Sept. 11 at the Amarillo Civic Center in Amarillo, Texas.
UFC 118 Florian-Maynard Winner Guaranteed Title Shot
The winner of Saturday's UFC 118 co-headliner between Kenny Florian and Gray Maynard will, in fact, get a shot at the lightweight title. UFC president Dana White today confirmed the plans in today's pre-UFC 118 press conference at the Great Hall in Boston's historic Faneuil Hall. White, of course, hinted that Maynard could get a title shot if victorious at January's UFC Fight Night 20 event. Maynard edged Nate Diaz via split decision, but Edgar instead got the title shot and ended up upsetting Penn at April's UFC 112 event. "If Gray Maynard beats Kenny Florian, he deserve it, no doubt," said White, referencing that previous hint at a title shot. Is the same true of Florian? "Yeah, absolutely," he said.
Ban on MMA sought in Canada
NIAGARA FALLS, Ontario -- The Canadian Medical Association is calling for a ban on mixed martial arts in Canada.
Delegates at the annual meeting voted Wednesday to have the doctors group seek a government ban on the sport.
The vote came after often contentious debate among 250 doctors at the meeting in Niagara Falls.
Those in favor of banning the sport say it puts fighters at risk of severe head trauma and other injuries that could have lifelong effects.
They argue that unlike sports such as hockey and skiing, the intent of mixed martial arts is to incapacitate one's opponent.
Seven provinces in Canada sanction mixed martial arts prize fighting. The Ontario government recently changed its stance and will allow mixed martial arts in 2011.
With Miller unlikely, Diaz vs. Noons title fight expected for "Strikeforce: San Jose"
A grudge match between Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz and middleweight Jason "Mayhem" Miller is not likely for this year, according to Diaz's manager.
Diaz (22-7 MMA, 3-0 SF) is going to fight at an event planned for Oct. 9 currently dubbed "Strikeforce: San Jose." But he will compete welterweight, and Miller (23-7 MMA, 1-1 SF) is not his opponent.
"Trust me, that's not the fight they have for him," Diaz's manager and trainer, Cesar Gracie, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It's someone else, and it's almost a done deal."
Fedor has called out Alistair Overeem to fight sometime this winter
One day your children will read about a thirty-foot tall giant that lived in the hills of Russia. They will learn that his garments were made from the fear and tears of his opponents and his bones were constructed of adamantium. When this giant would throw an overhand right, planets would recoil in terror and the entire field of astrophysics would take note on its precise trajectory. Time and space would stand in awe at the various ways in which this man broke the limitations they've placed on the universe. This man is Fedor Emelianenko and in this interview with Mixfight.ru, he has finally called out Alistair Overeem.
"Absolutely, I would like a rematch with Werdum. But as he was recently operated on, then as soon as this fight is unlikely to happen. This year, in November-December, I would prefer to meet in a cage with Alistair Overeem"
So can everyone stop saying Fedor is dodging now? People piss me off...
Jason Brilz vs. Vladimir Matyushenko targeted for UFC 122 in Germany
Hot on the heels of a new four-fight deal with the UFC, Vladimir Matyushenko (24-4 MMA, 5-3 UFC) is expected to meet Jason Brilz (18-3-1 MMA, 3-2 UFC) at October's UFC 122 event.
Sources close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that verbal agreements are in place and that both fighters are expected to finalize bout agreements shortly.
While not yet officially announced, UFC 122 is expected to take place Nov. 13 at Konig Pilsener Arena in Oberhausen, Germany.
UFC middleweight Ed Herman leaves Team Quest for new gym, eyes 2011 return
Following back-to-back knee injuries, Ed Herman is turning over a new leaf in Colorado.
The UFC middleweight today spoke to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and revealed he has left Team Quest and plans to open a new gym with teammate Ryan Schultz in Fort Collins, Colo., where he now resides.
Meanwhile, he is nursing his knee back to health and hopes to be able to train at full bore in November. If all goes well, he anticipates a return to the UFC octagon in the first quarter of 2011.
Dana White Hopes Randy Couture Smashes James Toney
Never one to hide his true feelings, UFC President Dana White tells 790 The Zone in Atlanta (via SportsRadioInterviews) that he is hoping James Toney not only gets beaten by Randy Couture at UFC 118 this coming weekend, but gets beat down bad. "Well, Toney has gotten in the best shape he's ever been in in about I don't know how many years. He's taken this a lot more seriously than he has his boxing career. One of the things with these boxers they have been doing it since they were little kids and how much can they learn? They start to get bored or lazy or whatever you wanna call it. So they don't train as hard. Toney has taken this serious. He's gotten in the best shape he's been in in years and this is going to be a very interesting fight. Anything can happen when two good guys go in there and start throwing punches, scrapping, and fighting. Anything can happen, but James Toney has knockout power in both hands, he's been one of the best and he's fought the best forever. Randy Couture has great wrestling and if you break down stats, James Toney doesn't have as many tools as Randy Couture has so Couture should win the fight. James Toney has talked so much smack I want to see him get smashed in this fight."