Seven-Time UFC Veteran Mark Hominick Retires
Ten-year MMA veteran Mark Hominick (20-12 MMA, 3-4 UFC) has competed for the last time.
The 30-year-old Canadian and Shawn Tompkins protege announced on Tuesday's new edition of FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight" that he's hanging up the gloves in favor of chasing other options.
"I truly got to live my passion and follow my dreams by competing in mixed martial arts, especially under the Zuffa banner, but UFC 154, that's the last fight I'll be in the octagon, as I'm retiring and looking to move on to the next phase of my career," Hominick said.
Hominick actually made his UFC in March 2006, when he claimed a submission win over Yves Edwards. He returned in June of that year with a decision win over Jorge Gurgel.
Hominick then transitioned to the WEC, where he fought five times before returning to the UFC octagon.
The high point of Hominick's UFC career came at April 2011's UFC 129 event, where he fought valiantly in front of a Canadian crowd during a failed title bid against UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo. Despite sporting a massive hematoma, Hominick pushed until the final bell, and a UFC record 55,724 fans rose to their feet in appreciation of his effort.
The decision loss was the last time he would step in to the cage with his longtome trainer and friend Tompkins, who passed away unexpectedly in August 2011.
Hominick returned to action at December 2011's UFC 140, but a reckless attack led to a stunning seven-second loss to Chan Sung Jung. Hominick would go on to drop decision losses to Pablo Garza and Eddie Yagin and finish his career on a disappointing four-fight losing streak.
Evangelista Santos vs. Pete Spratt Set As The Main Event Of The First Legacy FC Show Of 2013
Evangelista Santos (18-15) and Pete Spratt (25-21) will meet each other in the main event of the first Legacy FC show of the 2013.
Santos, a former PRIDE and Strikeforce fighter, will make be making his return after being away from action for the last 18 months. Spratt looks to find continued success in Legacy FC after securing a 25 second KO last summer.
Other fights on the card include: Jared Rosholt (4-1) vs. Richard Odoms (7-0), Nick Gonzalez (18-10) vs. Kevin Aguilar (4-1), Billy Buch (3-1) vs. Patrick Ybarra (2-0) and Johnny Ray Rodriguez (2-1) vs. Johnny Rodriguez (2-1).
Legacy FC 17 takes place from the Cowboys Dancehall in San Antonio, TX. The show occurs February 1 with the main card airing on AXS TV.
Chris Fields defends middleweight title vs. Jesse Taylor at Cage Warriors 51
Cage Warriors' New Year's Eve event has added a second title fight to the top of the bill.
Chris Fields (10-4) will put his middleweight title on the line at Cage Warriors 51 against Jesse Taylor (23-9). Cage Warriors officials recently announced the fight booking for the main card.
Cage Warriors 51 takes place Dec. 31 at The Helix in the Irish capital of Dublin. The event's main card streams live on MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) following Facebook prelims.
The card is headlined by a lightweight title fight between Cage Warriors featherweight champion Conor McGregor (11-2) Ivan Buchinger (21-3), with McGregor looking to become the first Cage Warriors fighter to simultaneously hold two titles.
Bellator premieres Jan. 17 on Spike, announces lineups for first two cards
Bellator will premiere on Spike TV on Jan. 17 in a 10 p.m. ET time slot, kicking off a 12-event eighth season for the promotion.
Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney and Spike President Kevin Kay on Tuesday announced the news on a conference call with media members.
The date for the season's first show is a change from a previously reported one of Jan. 10, which Bellator had requested with the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board. Instead, the season premiere, Bellator 85, takes place a week later in Irvine, Calif., at Bren Events Center on the UC-Irvine campus.
Kay said the 10 p.m. ET start time for Bellator events throughout the season allows the promotion to have Impact Wrestling as lead-in programming from 8-10 p.m. ET each week.
The latest Bellator 85 card now includes:
Champ Michael Chandler vs. Rick Hawn - for lightweight title
Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Mikhail Zayats - light heavyweight tournament opening round
Champ Pat Curran vs. Patricio Freire - for featherweight title
Seth Petruzelli vs. TBA
Mike Guymon vs. TBA
Jason Lambert vs. TBA
Hector Ramirez vs. TBA
The latest Bellator 86 card now includes:
Champ Ben Askren vs. Karl Amousson - for welterweight title
Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal vs. TBA - light heavyweight tournament opening round
Ben Saunders vs. TBA - welterweight tournament opening round
Douglas Lima vs. TBA - welterweight tournament opening round
HIROYUKI TAKAYA VS. GEORGI KARAKHANYAN, ‘MACH’ SAKURAI VS. PHIL BARONI BOOKED FOR DREAM 18
Hiroyuki Takaya has a date for New Year’s Eve, as the Dream featherweight champion will take part in a non-title bout against Georgi Karakhanyan at Dream 18.
The matchup was one of three made official Tuesday for the Dec. 31 card at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. Also announced was a welterweight tilt featuring Pride veterans Hayato “Mach” Sakurai and Phil Baroni, as well as a lightweight bout between former Sengoku champ Satoru Kitaoka and American import Will Brooks.
DREAM.18 – Glory 4 Event To Air Live On The Fight Network
Fight Network, the world’s premier 24/7 television channel dedicated to complete coverage of combat sports, will be airing three live events on December 31, beginning with a live presentation of DREAM.18 from the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan at 2 a.m. ET.
Approximately one hour after the culmination of DREAM.18, the GLORY 4 Tokyo Heavyweight Grand Slam will emanate from the same venue, beginning at approximately 6 a.m. ET.
The live action continues later in the day at 4 p.m. ET, as a live broadcast of Cage Warriors Fighting Championship 51 emanates from The Helix in Dublin, Northern Ireland.
Lavar Johnson vs. Brendan Schaub rebooked for UFC 157 on Feb. 23 in Anaheim
Once more, with feeling. Lavar Johnson is getting all patched up from his groin injury and should be ready to fight Brendan Schaub at the UFC 157: "Rousey vs. Carmouche" pay-per-view fight card, which was recently made official for the Honda Center in Anaheim, California on Feb. 23, 2013.
Lavar Johnson vs. Brendan Schaub, take two.
The hard-hitting heavyweight sluggers are set to do battle (again) at the UFC 157: "Rousey vs. Carmouche" pay-per-view (PPV) fight card, which was recently made official for the Honda Center in Anaheim, California on Feb. 23, 2013, according to a report from MMA Junkie.
Josh Koscheck: 'Rory MacDonald should fight me, but I doubt the UFC wants to see him get his ass kicked'
Rory MacDonald is the cat's meow at 170 pounds, but don't expect any bowls of milk from former division number one contender Josh Koscheck, who offered to fight "Ares" following his win over B.J. Penn at UFC on FOX 5 last Saturday night in Seattle.
Top Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight prospect Rory MacDonald put the screws to B.J. Penn in a lopsided affair as part of the UFC on FOX 5 main card held last Saturday night (Dec. 8, 2012) at the KeyArena in Seattle, Washington.
Josh Koscheck was not impressed.
In fact, the former division number one contender went so far as to say "Ares" should step up and face him inside the Octagon -- though he doubts their employer would be willing to expose the young buck in a showdown opposite the longtime veteran.
Dana White: Anderson Silva wants a new 10-fight deal with UFC
If we're to believe UFC President Dana White, Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva wants a new contract from the promotion. But he doesn't want a run-of-the-mill four or five fight deal. He wants 10 -- count 'em -- 10 more fights.
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva is currently signed with the promotion for two more fights. He's gone back-and-forth on the subject of retirement, first saying he would be out of the game at 35-years-old, then later claiming he could continue his career for another 10 years.
As of late, it's seemed he's content on taking it one fight at a time. But if we're to believe UFC President Dana White, that's not the case.
That's because he revealed to fans during a live chat with MetroPCS that the UFC approached the reigning pound-for-pound king with a new 8-fight contract offer. And he turned it down.
"Fuck that, I want a 10-fight deal," Silva said. Or at least that's what White said Silva said. Expletive likely added.