Strikeforce's Tarec Saffiedine feeds off Team Quest's energy for Roger Bowling fight
Tarec Saffiedine has a big fight coming up, but it isn't the biggest one on the radar screen for Team Quest.
That honor belongs to Dan Henderson, who fights Jon Jones for the UFC light heavyweight title in two weeks. But Saffiedine, a Henderson teammate and frequent training partner, is feeding off the positive vibes running through the Temecula, Calif.-based fight team.
Saffiedine fights Roger Bowling on Saturday at "Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman," and he hopes a convincing win might turn into a title shot of his own.
Phil Baldacci fighting to aid recovery of Team Alpha Male's Devin Johnson
When the body has nothing more to offer, the spirit still fights.
At its peak form, that is what MMA and combat sports offer spectators: the illustration of mind, heart and spirit to the masses.
In enduring tragedy, that is what Devin Johnson contributes to MMA. The Team Alpha Male representative was injured while sparring in May at Sacramento's Ultimate Fitness. On Saturday night, Phil Baldacci is donating his fight purse to the fighter's recovery fund.
Strikeforce's Coker: Rousey 'can't just be a marketing machine with a pretty face'
In one year, Ronda Rousey has taken the mixed martial arts world by the arm and given it a firm yank – literally.
The Strikeforce women's bantamweight champion already had built a quick reputation for fast finishes when she debuted with the promotion in August 2011. It took her only two armbar wins, 64 seconds and a little trash-talk to get a title shot.
Since winning the belt in March, Rousey has been the sport's next big thing.
'Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman' weigh-in results: Rousey (135), Kaufman (134) set
MMAjunkie.com was on scene and reporting live from today's official "Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman" fighter weigh-ins, where all 18 fighters made weight for the event.
Leading the way were Strikeforce women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, who registered 135 pounds, and former titleholder Sarah Kaufman, who stepped on the scales a 134 pounds.
The festivities take place at Valley View Casino Center in San Diego, the same venue that hosts Saturday's card.
New York Court Dismisses Part of Zuffa Lawsuit on Constitutionality of MMA Ban
In a ruling made earlier this week, United States District Judge Kimba M. Wood granted a motion to dismiss two counts that challenged the constitutionality of the law that prohibited mixed martial arts in New York back in 1997.
The lawsuit was originally filed by UFC parent company Zuffa last November.
The ruling, however, does not dismiss the entire suit, but only two of the seven counts made by Zuffa. Namely, the Equal Protection and Due Process clauses.
In making her ruling, Judge Wood found that the law had a rational basis when it was originally passed, and that even with past safety concerns addressed, the law is still rational today.
Manuwa vs Kingsbury & Nelson vs Krauss added to UFC on FUEL TV 5
Welcoming Nelson to the Octagon will be Pascal Krauss, who will look to bounce back from a loss in his last fight to John Hathaway in May.
Also added to the upcoming UFC on Fuel TV 5 card is a light heavyweight bout between undefeated British slugger Jimi Manuwa and former Ultimate Fighter competitor Kyle Kingsbury.
Despite reports, UFC boss says Cerrone vs. Pettis not booked for UFC on FOX 5
While it seems Donald Cerrone (19-4-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC), Anthony Pettis (15-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) and MMA fans everywhere are excited for a potential "Cowboy" vs. "Showtime" fight, UFC officials said preliminary reports about the two fighting on FOX are premature.
"So [expletive] far from being the truth," UFC President Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
White declined to reveal when the promotion is targeting the much-discussed lightweight matchup but made it clear that an initial report released earlier today tying the two to UFC on FOX 5 is completely untrue
White also admitted he loved a potential matchup between the two vaunted strikers but declined to share the organization's current plans for the pair.
"I like it," White said. "It sounds like a great idea."
UFC inks tops European flyweight Phil Harris
The UFC has inked English flyweight Phil "Billy" Harris (21-9-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) to a multi-fight deal.
Harris' reps at Intensiti Fighter Management today confirmed the signing with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), though financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
A debut date and opponent are expected to be determined shortly, the fighter's reps confirmed.
The 28-year-old Harris joins the UFC's newest division, which was launched earlier this year. The 125-pound weight class soon will have a champion when Joseph Benavidez and Demetrious Johnson meet for the inaugural flyweight championship. The bout is the finale of a four-man tournament that launched in March.
Report: Early UFC 150 PPV buys estimated at 190,000
That's the very early number from longtime mixed martial arts (MMA) reporter Dave Meltzer, who released the preliminary estimates on his f4wonline website earlier today.
Very early numbers indicate about 190,000 North American buys (this is not a direct buy number or even a strong estimate but just a very preliminary figure). While nobody going in expected big numbers, that would still be below most expectations. As we always say, there is significant potential margin of error this early, but suffice to say this show probably did not do well. We'll have a better read on this in two weeks. It looks to be the lowest number for a PPV that came from North America since 2005.
UFC 150 produced "the worst gate since 2007" and never even made it in front of the DirecTV audience, after the global satellite giant "went down" and effectively eliminated a "huge number" of potential viewers.
Rumor: Donald Cerrone Vs. Anthony Pettis Number One Contender Bout Targeted For UFC On FOX 5
Another massive fight could be headed for the already loaded UFC on FOX 5 card scheduled for December 8th. According to Vigilante MMA, Donald Cerrone and Anthony Pettis will finally meet in a heavily anticipated fight between the former WEC stars, and it will be for the #1 contender slot in the ever-crowded 155 lbs division.
We’ve heard rumors and speculation, but a source has just confirmed to VigilanteMMA that Donald Cerrone and Anthony Pettis will be added to UFC on Fox 5—and it will be a number one contender’s fight. Not only is this event shaping up to be one huge show, but the added stipulation should create quite a buzz for the latest fight being added to the card.
We’ve also learned that the contract is now in the hands of Pettis for final approval. Although he apparently hasn’t signed it yet, Cerrone has already started pressuring Pettis to do so in quick fashion.
Former UFC Fighter James McSweeney Stops Knife Wielding Thief in Las Vegas
What McSweeney didn’t know when the night started however is that he would eventually have to turn hero when a thief decided to put a stop to their family fun.
“My family’s in town right now in Las Vegas, and they wanted to go down to old town Las Vegas last night, down on Fremont street, just check out the big TV screens and stuff down there. So they wanted to get some souvenirs so they went into one of the stores there, and as they walked I saw these two guys that looked like they were drunk, but they wasn’t really, they were just arguing. So the cashier went over to stop them from arguing cause the store was packed full of women and children, people there shopping,” McSweeney explained when speaking to MMAWeekly.com on Thursday.
“As they started to break it up one of the guys made a dash for the cash, the box behind the counter, and grabbed a handful of cash out and then pulled a knife out on the lady in front of everybody.”
According to McSweeney, the thief pulled a knife with a 3 or 4 inch blade and pointed it directly at the cashier who was trying to stop the robbery.
Unfortunately for this thief, McSweeney, who worked in security in his home town of London, England for nearly a decade, was standing close by and decided to intervene.
Ronda Rousey Blasts Cris Cyborg: Stop Doping And Meet Me at 135
In an interview on TSN Radio's "The MMA Report with John Pollock," the outspoken bantamweight champion, who already has her hands full with Sarah Kaufman on Saturday night, spoke hypothetically about Cyborg's challenge.
She did not hold back on her feelings.
"If she wants to fight me than she is going to have to find a way to come down to 135," she said. "We'll see how she does in a fair fight for once in her life. She has a history of coming in overweight to fights and I wouldn't doubt that if we agreed to some sort of catchweight at 140, she’d show up at 145 anyway and be like 'ah whatever, fight or not.' She’s done this many times before. I don't owe her anything. She's completely defamed, and anything she’s ever done is nothing because she is a big old cheater and she's been doping her whole life. And I think part of the reason why people like Dana [White] think there is a lack of depth in all these divisions is because this girl is doping and making everybody look like they aren't in her league. And I think the reason why people look at women's MMA like that was because of her. She is nothing but a detriment to the sport and the only positive she could play is an Ivan Drago bad guy that gets beat to hell by a Rocky. So no, she can come down and fight me at 135 because I have a whole line of other people that want to fight me already and I don’t owe her anything.
"I don't need to come up and it’s just like, why would I even want to come up to her weight?" she continued. "Stop doping, lose the weight. She can either do the drugs and fight me at 135 and have the drugs be just as much a detriment as a help to her during the weight cut, or she can cut out all the doping and make the weight easily. It's just whatever. As long as she makes 135, I don't care if she's injecting horse semen into her eyeballs but that’s the only way I feel it would be a fair fight. She’s never had a fair fight in her life and I see how the prospect of that would scare the hell out of her and why she would insist at fighting heavier."
UFC on FOX 5 odds: Champ Henderson opens as heavy favorite over Diaz
The oddsmakers are heavily favoring UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson in his next title defense.
As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported Wednesday, Henderson (17-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) meets top contender Nate Diaz (16-7 MMA, 11-5 UFC) in the headliner of December's UFC on FOX 5 event.
Noted and influential MMA oddsmaker Joey Oddessa has set an opening "Odessa line" with Henderson at -340 and Diaz at +260, which makes the champ an approximate 3-to-1 favorite.
Henderson, who defended his belt for the first time with a narrow split-decision victory over ex-champ Frankie Edgar this past weekend at UFC 150, returns Dec. 8 for his network-televised main event with Diaz. The challenger earned his title shot with three consecutive victories, including a decision win over Donald Cerrone and then a submission victory over Jim Miller earlier this year in the UFC on FOX 3 headliner.
Oddessa, though, points to the Cerrone fight as a possible reason people are overvaluing Diaz.
"If Nate Diaz and Donald Cerrone didn't have a gentleman's agreement to stand and bang, Diaz wouldn't be fighting Henderson at UFC on FOX 5," Oddessa, who can be found on Twitter at @mmaodds, told MMAjunkie.com. "I think Cerrone hurt him in the first round and decided not to pursue finishing him on the ground. That was his downfall."
Diaz, though, has the conditioning for deeper rounds, and his constant barrage of punches should present a unique challenge to Henderson.
Randy Couture Not Coming Back to Fighting ‘Unless Steven Seagal Wants to Sign Up’
One of the most common questions has to be ‘is there any fight that would draw you back into the Octagon?’.
Well, leave it to Randy Couture to spice things up and throw out another action star’s name, who isn’t in The Expendables, but happens to be swirling around his old stomping ground in the UFC.
“Not unless (Steven) Seagal wants to sign up,” Couture answered with a smile and a laugh...
Gray Maynard Thinks Nate Diaz Will Win the Belt; Gunning for Trilogy and TUF 17 Slot
The UFC lightweight division has been in a bottleneck in terms of the contenders race due to several rematches and one draw that forced a lot of top fighters to wait for their chance to compete for the gold.
“I thought Edgar pulled it out, but whenever, it’s a close one; the judges, it’s all up to them I guess,” Maynard told MMAWeekly Radio. “He pulled out a couple close ones against B.J. (Penn) and me and then he had this one; it was close, so it could go either way I guess.”
“It opens up things for me. It opens up things for (Anthony) Pettis because he beat Benson. If Nate beats him, that opens it up for me more because there’s a trilogy. He beat me once and I beat him, so we could do the third fight. There’s a lot of options,” Maynard stated.
“Nate’s on a roll; I think he’ll pull it out,” Maynard said about the fight between Henderson and Diaz. “If he does, I know he was begging for me for a long time, but for me I was looking at the title and that’s a fight that would be a great fight for the title. I’d like to do the TV show against him if that’s the case.”
Shinya Aoki moved to October's 'ONE FC 6: Rise of Kings' opposite Arnaud Lepont
Shinya Aoki (30-6) will not, in fact, be headlining August's "ONE FC 5: Pride of a Nation" event.
Promotion officials today announced that the former DREAM champ is now slated to fight Arnaud Lepont (9-1) at "ONE FC 6: Rise of Kings."
The event takes place Oct. 6 at the 12,000-seat Singapore Indoor Stadium in Singapore. Broadcast plans for the event are not yet official.
Additionally, ONE FC CEO Victor Cui announced that three title fights will grace "ONE FC 6: Rise of Kings."
UFC 150 medical suspensions: Henderson out indefinitely pending clearance
The Colorado Division of Professions and Occupations' Office of Boxing medically suspended eight fighters following UFC 150.
Most notably, UFC lightweight champ Benson Henderson earned an indefinite suspension and must be cleared by a doctor before he can fight again.
The full list of suspensions from UFC 150 include:
Benson Henderson: Must be cleared by a physician
Melvin Guillard: suspended 60 days
Justin Lawrence: suspended 60 days, and must be cleared by a physician
Jared Hamman: suspended 60 days
Dustin Pague: suspended 45 days
Eiji Mitsuoka: suspended 45 days
Buddy Roberts: suspended 30 days
Ken Stone: suspended 30 days
'Lelo' Aurelio scratches from Bellator 73, Oselukwue now meets Tiller
Marcus "Lelo" Aurelio (6-1 MMA, 0-0 BFC) has scratched from next week's promotional debut at Bellator 73, and his original opponent, Amaechi Oselukwue (3-6 MMA, 1-0 BFC), now meets replacement Kelvin Tiller (4-0 MMA, 2-0 BFC).
Aurelio told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he suffered an undisclosed injury over the weekend and hopes to return in October at Bellator 75.
Oselukwue vs. Tiller takes place at a catchweight of 179 pounds.