UFC 128 Card Finalized With 12 Fights
The fight card for March's "UFC 128: Shogun vs. Evans" event is now set. Officials today finalized the two remaining bouts for the March 19 event, which takes place at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The additions to the 12-fight lineup include preliminary-card bouts of welterweights Mike Pyle vs. Ricardo Almeida and middleweights Nick Catone vs. Dan Miller.
BJ Penn vs. Jon Fitch: Who Will Be the More Dangerous Fighter
Fitch spoke to USA Today back in November and when he was asked if he thought he had to finish fights more often he replied, “Yeah. I basically feel like I haven't done the appropriate job of putting the exclamation point at the end of my sentences. I take that as a personal challenge to myself, because as a martial artist, I need to be evolving and getting better. If I keep winning fights the same way, I don't see myself as evolving. If we're not evolving in martial arts, then we're dead.”
"UFC Prelims" return to Spike TV for UFC 126 with Cerrone-Kelly, Mendes-Omigawa
While recent UFC preliminary-card specials have been slotted for ION Television, Facebook and UFC.com, Spike TV is still in the mix.
Sources close to the organizations today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) Spike TV's popular "UFC Prelims" specials will return in 2011, and the first will air next month as part of UFC 126.
The Feb. 5 broadcast is expected to feature lightweights Donald Cerrone (13-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) vs. Paul Kelly (11-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) and featherweights Chad Mendes (9-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) vs. Michihiro Omigawa (12-8-1 MMA, 0-2 UFC).
Kimbo Slice Quits Boxing, Reportedly Set for Pro Wrestling Tournament
So much for the great Kimbo Slice boxing experiment.
The former street fighting sensation turned MMA fighter abruptly quit his pursuit of becoming a boxing star in October, Slice's former promoter Jared Shaw told MMA Fighting.
"[Slice left the boxing training camp] due to some various injuries and to go film The Scorpion King. Upon his return, he didn't show me any interest in boxing, so we just decided for right now to put it to the side," Shaw said.
"In boxing, in order to be amongst the best in the world, he was going to have to put in double the work he was accustomed to. Due to the wear and tear on his body, he wasn't able to perform up to the standard we wanted him to."
See Live UFC Prelims on Facebook Saturday
The opportunity to watch two live prelim fights for free from UFC® Fight For The Troops 2 is now only a click away. The Ultimate Fighting Championship® announced today that fans will have the ability to watch two exciting UFC contests on Saturday, Jan. 22 at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT by simply clicking the “Like” button on the official UFC Facebook page.
By liking Facebook.com/UFC, fans will gain access to a live stream of the lightweight battle between Cody McKenzie (12-0) of The Ultimate Fighter® and veteran Yves Edwards (39-16-1), as well as a pivotal welterweight clash pitting TUF alum DaMarques Johnson (16-8) against Mike “The Joker” Guymon (13-4-1). Fans that do not have a Facebook account are encouraged to sign up at www.facebook.com.
“I’m always looking for ways to give fans fights for free and this is just another example of that,” UFC President Dana White said. “Facebook is such a great tool for people to stay connected and we’re excited to put two live fights on our UFC page for free.”
After big revelation with Lesnar, Barry ready for Beltran at UFC Fight Night 23
Something had been missing in the two years since Pat Barry gave up his K-1 dreams and decided to become a ninja. Or a mixed martial artist.
One of the two. Maybe both.
Barry was doing everything he needed to become a well-rounded fighter, which in his case was a near-daily regimen of wrestling and jiu jitsu with his stablemates at Roufusport Academy in Milwaukee.
He toiled on the mats learning about the completely different application of leverage and balance. He learned about how to get out of bad situations and how to get back to his feet. He got tapped, a lot.
Strikeforce Challengers 14, Beerbohm vs. Healy headliner official for Feb. 18
The next installment of the prospects-driven Strikeforce Challengers series is set for Feb. 18.
As expected, officials have announced that Strikeforce Challengers 14 features a lightweight headliner between undefeated Lyle Beerbohm (15-0 MMA, 3-0 SF) and Pat Healy (25-17 MMA, 1-1 SF).
The Showtime-televised fight card takes place at Cedar Park Center in Cedar Park, Texas, a suburb of the state's capitol, Austin.
Brendan Schaub Will Respect Mirko Cro Cop-By Trying To Take His Head Off
And he intends to have a killer instinct against Cro Cop, something he notes while also taking a jab at Mirko's most recent opponents. "I think guys get so caught up in respecting Mirko so much they don't approach him with a killer instinct. They don't look for the finish. If you look at his last few fights he fought some tough guys, Frank Mir and Pat Barry, but they go out there and show him too much respect. I respect the guy just as much as those guys do if not more. It was the same with Gonazaga. I respect these guys so much that I give them the best fight I can on the night. That's my way of showing respect to these guys - I go in there and try and take their heads off. I put the pressure on them. There's going to be no high-fiving. There's going to be no hugging. I can tell you that."
Tim Kennedy vs 'Mayhem' Miller rubber match at Strikeforce on March 5
Jason Miller finally found a homie that isn't scared.
After campaigning for a grudge match against hated rival Nick Diaz, "Mayhem" instead looks to be close to a rubber match against fellow Strikeforce middleweight contender Tim Kennedy when the promotion makes its March 5 debut in Columbus, Ohio.
Sources close to one of the fight camps alerted MMAmania.com to the pending match-up earlier today.
The mouthy middleweight mischief-maker split a pair of bouts against Kennedy when they threw hands at Extreme Challenge 50 back in 2003 (L) and HDNet Fights "Reckless Abandon" nearly four years later (W).
Scott Coker considering Canada, Japan for Strikeforce grand-prix host sites
Two international destinations are on the radar for Strikeforce's upcoming heavyweight grand-prix tournament.
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker this past week told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that both Ontario, Canada, and Tokyo are under consideration as host cities for the Showtime-televised competition, which kicks off Feb. 12 at the IZOD Center in East Rutherford, N.J.
"This is a world grand-prix tournament, which means we might not just be in the United States," Coker said. "This thing could be traveling."
Questions Linger For Bellator Heading Into Fourth Season
Last month, Bellator announced a 3-year TV deal with MTV2 TV, claiming the event as a turning point for the promotion. As they head into their 4th season, there are still a few aspects of the deal that weren’t clear, mainly pertaining to time-slot, production, profitability, and future sustainability.
One aspect that was still not finalized when the deal was announced was Bellator’s broadcast team for next season. Many claim their two man booth, consisting of Jimmy Smith and Sean Wheelock, has been one of the best around MMA for the past few seasons, which made it seem like a pretty sure bet both men were coming back, but in this interview performed by MMATorch, Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney expressed some doubt about the situation back in December...
Ex-UFC champ Shane Carwin may train with Strikeforce's Fedor Emelianenko
Two of the world's top heavyweights may cross promotional boundaries and one big ocean for some training.
In a recent media call promoting his Feb. 12 fight with Antonio Silva, Strikeforce grand-prix entrant and famed veteran Fedor Emelianenko said his fight camp will be based in his native Russia but that he'd like to train with someone such as Shane Carwin.
The U.S.-based Carwin said it'd be an "honor."
In a forum post on The Underground, Carwin, a former interim champ who nearly defeated then-titleholder Brock Lesnar in 2010, explains his affinity for the former PRIDE great.
"Fedor has been a good guy to me," he wrote. "After the Lesnar fight, he sent me some very kind words that put things into perspective. He is a great guy and a great fighter.
"I am going to be traveling for training this time around. I want to take in as much MMA as I can. I hope to make it out to Duke [Roufus'] and maybe even a trip to Russia if all things go as planned."
Hieron and Carl complete Bellator's Welterweight tourney, meet on March 5th
As expected, Bellator Fighting Championships signee Jay Hieron (19-4 MMA, 0-0 BFC) has will take part in the promotion's upcoming season-four welterweight tournament.
So will three-time Bellator veteran Steve Carl (11-2 MMA, 2-1 BFC).
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to both fighters that Hieron and Carl will fill the final two spots of Bellator's 170-pound tournament and will face each other on March 5 at an event yet to be announced.
Mark Hominick: Jose Aldo Hasn't Faced a Striker Like Me
The news that Mark Hominick is one win away from a UFC featherweight title shot against Jose Aldo has been questioned by some MMA fans who wonder whether Hominick has really done enough to merit fighting for a belt.
But for his part, Hominick insists that he has exactly what it takes to beat Aldo, and that he's ready to throw things at Aldo in the cage that the champion has never seen before.
"Aldo has faced everybody -- he's faced top grapplers, top jiu jitsu guys, wrestlers," Hominick said on HDNet's Inside MMA. "But he hasn't faced a top elite striker like myself. I'm going to be in his face."
Nate Diaz is tired of 'ridiculous' scoring in MMA
For as long as there has been judging in MMA, there has been complaining about judging in MMA. Now Nate Diaz is piling on with his critique of the scoring system currently in place. According to the "Kid from Stockton," all you have to do to win a fight is get on top of your opponent and hold him down. In the interest of full disclosure, it should be noted that Diaz was largely out-wrestled and controlled by Dong Hyun Kim en route to a decision loss at UFC 125 on Jan. 1.
Jens Pulver wants to give it one more shot so he can 'retire the right way'
The sad tale of once great UFC Lightweight Champion Jens Pulver will continue when he fights at XFO 38 on Jan. 22 against Mike Lindquist in Woodstock, Illinois. When looking at the current state of affairs for the longtime veteran, one can't help but wonder -- why continue? Why keep fighting after eight losses in his last nine fights and six in a row? Well, Pulver tells MMAFighting.com that he's not okay with ending his once proud career with that many consecutive losses.
Ex-UFC Fighter Mark Holst To Retire
Mark Holst's "Boots" are indeed made for walking, in this case walking away from MMA. The former UFC fighter, who was cut by the promotion after an 0-2 stint in the promotion, announced yesterday he will retire from active competition after what is expected to be his final fight on January 28. He plans to focus on tournament competition and opening a new martial arts school.
Dennis Hallman Signs 4 Fight Extension With UFC
"Superman" should fly through this year if he can keep winning. Dennis Hallman this week signed a new four-fight contract with the UFC on the heels of a booking against T.J. Waldburger at UFC Fight Night 24. It's but an added bonus that the event is a short drive from his home in Yelm, Wash. UFC Fight Night 24 takes place March 26 at Seattle's Key Arena and airs live on Spike.
UFC's Nelson welcomes fight with Mir, still eyes meeting with Carwin
One-time UFC title challenger Shane Carwin recently revealed he was offered a UFC 131 matchup with Roy Nelson (15-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC) before "Big Country" ultimately drew a UFC 130 fight with Frank Mir.
It was the second time the two were linked together, as a back injury forced Carwin to withdraw from a planned UFC 125 bout with Nelson.
But with rumors swirling that Nelson turned down the second Carwin offering, the winner of "The Ultimate Fighter 10" has a simple message: Bring it on.