Magalhaes 2.0 trades sloppy for bold
Vinny Magalhaes is a world-class grappler. That much was obvious from his run through "The Ultimate Fighter" season 8 cast, where he submitted everyone he faced leading up to the final, including his former training partner at Team Quest, Krzysztof Soszynski.
Yet, while he was super-slick horizontally, he was shackled by his own subpar stand-up. It was a glaring deficiency, and one he simply couldn’t compensate for. We saw it when he was knocked out at the hands of Ryan Bader in the "TUF" finale that season, and again when Eliot Marshall didn’t compromise an inch at UFC 97. The Marshall fight was the shoulder-shrugging moment for the UFC. It served him his walking papers because his game wasn’t whole.
By now, the bulletin is an old one that’s been passed around and snickered over for years: This is MMA, not “The Singular Thing You’re Great At.” Disciplines have to come together in concert; otherwise, what shows up isn’t the medals earned in world submission grappling tournaments. What shows up instead are your world-class deficiencies. The UFC, after all, is made up of cold-blooded exploitists. When Magalhaes left the UFC, he had an overall professional MMA record that was sub-.500. Things needed to change.
So what did he do?
Urijah Faber Wants Either Himself Or Chad Mendes To Fight Frankie Edgar
Weighed 158 yest“@thesensation82: @danawhite edgar v @UrijahFaber for Interim belt? I'm sure the Cali kid wouldn't mind stepping up weight.”
11 Sep 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
U know I'm in for a good fight, I'm sure @chadmendes wld b eager 4 that fight @danawhite @ufc @MMAInc @mikeMMAinc sucks 4 @josealdojunior
11 Sep 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
Fabio Maldonado campaigning for UFC 153 fight with Glover Teixeira
f the UFC is looking for volunteers, Brazilian striker Fabio Maldonado (18-5 MMA, 1-2 UFC) is standing with his hand in the air.
The 32-year-old Maldonado said he's ready and willing to face countryman Glover Teixeira (18-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) in the co-main event of next month's UFC 153 event – a bout that was supposed to feature Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.
Maldonado and his manager, Alex Davis, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) they're more than willing to step into the fight on four weeks' notice.
"I want this fight," Maldonado told MMAjunkie.com in his native Portuguese. "I know our styles would make for an incredible fight for the fans, and I want this opportunity. I hope the UFC will grant me this one request."
Vladimir Matyushenko injured; Roger Hollett back in to meet Matt Hamill at UFC 152
It's deja vu all over again for Matt Hamill.
In his first fight back after retirement, Hamill (10-4 MMA, 9-4 UFC) now will – once again – face Roger Hollett (13-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) after Vladimir Matyushenko (26-6 MMA, 7-4 UFC) was forced out of the fight with an injury. UFC officials on Tuesday announced the new booking – a re-booking – saying a torn Achille's tendon will keep Matyushenko out.
UFC 152 takes place Sept. 22 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto with a main card airing on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook. The Hamill-Matyushenko bout was slated for the main card, and it is expected that Hamill-Hollett will appear there, as well.
Hamill originally was booked to face Hollett, a UFC newcomer, when it was announced this past month that he would return from a short retirement. But just three weeks ago, it was announced that Hollett had been forced off the card and Matyushenko had stepped in on short notice.
But with Matyushenko now hurt, Hollett is back in the mix. It is not clear why Hollett was removed from the fight with Hamill to begin with this past month, though he was not injured.
Renzo Gracie Replaces Kurt Angle on World Series of Fighting Broadcast Team
Sep 11, 2012 - MMA veteran Renzo Gracie -- fresh off his crime fighting spree in New York City last week -- has been selected to replace pro wrestling star Kurt Angle on the World Series of Fighting broadcast team.
Steph Daniels of BloodyElbow.com first reported the news Monday night after speaking with WSOF president Ray Sefo.
"I'm confirming that Kurt won't be doing the commentary due to a conflict of interest with Viacom," Sefo stated. "I'm told it's just for now, until a few things are sorted out. Renzo Gracie will be replacing Kurt Angle on the commentary team."
Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson hurt, forced out of UFC 153 co-main event vs. Glover Teixeira
After all the controversy over Quinton "Rampage" Jackson wanting out of his contract, it turns out he won't fight at UFC 153 after all.
Jackson (32-10 MMA, 7-4 UFC) is injured and out of his co-main event fight against Glover Teixeira (18-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) next month in Brazil. UFC President Dana White on Tuesday tweeted the news. The nature of his injury was not announced.
It is not yet known if a replacement for Jackson will be sought to step in on just under five weeks' notice, or if Teixeira will be pulled from the card.
UFC 153 takes place Oct. 13 at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. The pay-per-view features a main event featherweight title fight between Brazilian champion Jose Aldo and former lightweight champ Frankie Edgar.
UFC boss White still keen on Silva vs. St-Pierre, says Silva vs. Jones also possible
If 2012 was the year of the UFC injury, 2013 may very well be the year of the UFC superfight.
UFC President Dana White today told HDNet's "Inside MMA" that not only is an Anderson Silva (32-4 MMA, 15-0 UFC) vs. Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) bout looking more and more likely if "GSP" can defeat Carlos Condit but that Silva vs. Jon Jones (16-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) could very well happen, too.
UFC Signs Jon Tuck, Faces Tiequan Zhang at UFC
The UFC has added to the list of Asian MMA talent the promotion has been acquiring of late with the recent signing of Jon Tuck. Fighting out of Guam, the undefeated lightweight makes his UFC debut at UFC on Fuel TV 5: Franklin vs. Le, where he will face off with Tiequan Zhang.
Tyson Nam Willing To Re-Sign With Bellator At The Right Price
Despite the tension between Bellator and Tyson Nam (12-4), he is open to the idea of fighting for them if the offer is right as he's been talking with several MMA companies as of late.
"I can say there are pretty big promotions if not some of the most recognized promotions in the world," said Nam on The MMA Hour. "If [Bellator] bring something to the table that's actually matching these other offers that I'm getting, sure, why not."
Chuck Liddell vs Chael Sonnen? 'Iceman' would have taken the fight that Jon Jones didn't
"I would have taken the fight, but I don't make his decisions or run his career for him. [Lyoto Machida's decision,] that's a different thing. Machida would have got a title fight he was in line for, whereas Chael was taking a title fight he wasn't in line for. If Lyoto was not in shape, I guess I understand. He was beat by Jones last time and he would have wanted time to prepare. It is different from a peak Jones turning down a fight."
Heres a link to the full interview. . . Worth a watch if you've got time.
Tim Boetsch Vs. Chris Weidman Booked For UFC 155
Two middleweight contenders will square off to close out 2012 as it was announced today that Chris Weidman and Tim Boetsch will fight on December 29th at UFC 155.
The bout, which takes place in Las Vegas, could potentially be a number one contender fight as the two have both been making a climb up the middleweight divisions ladder.
Former champ Joe Warren plans return at bantamweight – with Bellator boss's blessing
Bjorn Rebney wasn't happy. Far from it.
Just a few feet away from him, his featherweight title was changing hands. He wasn't upset he had a new titleholder to promote, but he was far from happy with how his champ was taken out – taking what was fairly universally agreed to be far more punishment than was necessary.
But with Bellator 60 and Joe Warren's brutal knockout loss to Pat Curran in the rearview mirror, Rebney said Warren is ready to get back to work.
Warren (7-3 MMA, 5-2 BFC) held his own against Curran (17-4 MMA, 7-1 BFC) for two rounds in the main event of Bellator 60 in Hammond, Ind., not far from Curran's stomping grounds north of Chicago. In fact, Curran's cousin, UFC vet Jeff Curran, told the challenger before the third round that had had lost the first two frames.
But in the third, Curran turned up the heat, and with Warren against the fence, Curran landed blow after blow to Warren's head – with the cage appearing to help keep him upright when he surely was out on his feet. With one final uppercut, and with Curran looking to referee Jeff Malott, seemingly begging him to stop it, Warren finally slumped to the canvas.
"It's the only time I can remember sitting cageside where I actually threw my headset off and started screaming," Rebney recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It was hard to watch. There are moments in time where you see athletes freeze, and there we saw a referee freeze. For some reason, he was not reacting to it. I don't know if it was the lights or the cameras or what it was, but it was a very poor job. It should've been stopped five, six seconds or more before it was stopped."
Perhaps it was Warren's sheer determination that helped keep him standing so long while absorbing Curran's punishment. He was undersized at featherweight, fighting above his natural 135-pound class the way he did in DREAM – yet he became the promotion's 145-pound champion.
TNA contract nixes Kurt Angle commentator job at World Series of Fighting 1
A contract with Total Nonstop Action Wrestling has forced Kurt Angle to give up a commentary job at the World Series of Fighting's inaugural event.
WSOF President Ray Sefo today confirmed the news to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) following a tweet from the Olympic gold medalist and pro wrestler.
"There's a conflict of interest, so he won't be able to do the (Nov.) 3 show," Sefo said, adding the split was amicable. A replacement has yet to be found.
Angle was among three personalities selected to call the action at the event, which takes place at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas and airs live on NBC Sports Network. Original picks Bas Rutten and Michael Schiavello will remain on the team.
Bellator's Rebney expects Lawal TNA Wrestling debut in October, Bellator in January
It will be one of the most unique talent-share deals in sports when it finally gets under way, but Bjorn Rebney already is starting to geek out about it.
The Bellator CEO will have to wait until the new year to utilize Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal in his cage. But later this fall, he'll get to watch his new star build a new fanbase with the pro wrestling audience.
Lawal (8-1 MMA, 0-0 BFC) is expected to make his TNA Impact Wrestling debut next month before returning to MMA in January – when he'll begin moving back and forth between the two.
And though some of the fine print still is being worked out, Rebney believes Bellator and TNA President Dixie Carter nailed it when they signed Lawal to a deal in May that will allow "King Mo" to have his feet in both worlds. TNA's "Impact" airs on Spike TV, the same cable network Bellator moves to in January.
Tito Ortiz Isn’t Retired, He’s Just Graduated From Fighting
A lot of people were taken aback recently when Cris “Cyborg” Santos’ manager said that he believed a Cyborg vs. Ronda Rousey bout would eventually take place, just not at 135 pounds.
It wasn’t so much the rhetoric about the fight, but more so who it was saying those words. And that would be Tito Ortiz, who now claims Cyborg among his charges under his new management company, Primetime 360...
Legacy FC 16 takes shape with Banuelos-Benoit, Hobar-Peterson, Byrd-Leonhardt
Following the announcement of a headlining bout between Will Campuzano (10-4) and Jimmy Flick (5-0) for the organization's inaugural flyweight title, the fight card continues to take shape for Legacy Fighting Championship 16.
The event takes place Dec. 14 at Allen Events Center in Allen, Texas, and the main card airs on AXS TV.
In the co-headliner, bantamweights Matt Hobar (5-1) and Steven Peterson (7-2) meet in a rematch.
Hobar won his first five pro fights, which included a pair of Shark Fights victories, before a loss (due to an arm injury) to Peterson at Legacy FC 13. He gets a shot at revenge when he again meets Peterson, a Bellator vet who's 2-0 under the LFC banner and 5-1 in his past six fights.
Also on the card, WEC and UFC vet Antonio Banuelos (20-8), who meets Josh Sampo this coming weekend at Legacy 14, has already been slated for his second LFC fight. He meets fast-rising Ryan Benoit (5-1), who's already posted LFC wins over Cody Williams and Randy Villarreal, in a 130-pound catchweight fight.
Strikeforce CEO Coker explains why Larkin, not 'Jacare,' for Rockhold title fight
Scott Coker usually is rather reserved when it comes to announcing future plans following events that just happened.
But for a change, in San Diego this past month, he wasn't. Both before "Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman" and immediately after the card, the Strikeforce CEO thought it was a pretty safe bet that middleweight champ Luke Rockhold would next face Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza.
And wouldn't ya know it? The once-in-a-blue-moon time Coker spoke publicly about a future fight's near-certainty, it didn't happen.
Strikeforce earlier this week announced Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 9-0 SF) next will defend his title against Lorenz Larkin (13-0 MMA, 4-0 SF), not Souza (16-3 MMA, 6-1 SF), who made quick work of Derek Brunson (9-2 MMA, 3-1 SF) in San Diego with a 41-second TKO.
Prior to Strikeforce's most recent show, Coker told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the Souza-Brunson winner was likely to get a title shot – especially if that winner was Souza, who lost his belt to Rockhold one year ago this weekend.
Jon Jones Says Chael Sonnen’s Time Will Come
Jon Jones Says Chael Sonnen’s Time Will Come to Answer for His Verbal Attacks
Posted on September 9, 2012 by MMAWeekly.com Staff
UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones took the brunt of the initial criticism when UFC president Dana White cancelled UFC 151 just one week out from its scheduled date.
Jones remained fairly quiet about the situation at first, even though White took him and his coach, Greg Jackson, to task for turning down a last ditch effort to match the champ up with Chael Sonnen on short notice.
When Sonnen went into attack mode – almost immediately – Jones could only sit back and take the unanswered blows for so long before fighting back.