Dana White: Wanderlei Silva Likely to Face Brian Stann in Comeback Fight
In the months since Wanderlei Silva went on the shelf recovering from a knee injury and subsequent surgery, it seems like practically every middleweight in the division has asked to face him in his comeback fight.
Chael Sonnen, Nate Marquardt, Alan Belcher and Chris Leben are all among the names that have publically lobbied to face the MMA legend. But it seems the most recent man to request Silva may be the one to get the much-desired bout.
Brian Stann is the most likely opponent for Silva upon his return, UFC president Dana White told MMA Fighting.
Josh Barnett out to take states by storm
While Strikeforce was in the process of putting together its heavyweight tournament, some high-profile participants requested specific opponents. No one requested a fight with Josh Barnett.
It wasn't that the higher-profile fighters -- including Fedor Emelianenko and Alistair Overeem -- sought to avoid him. In their minds, they simply had bigger fish to fry.
Emelianenko will take on Antonio Silva on Feb. 12 in Newark, N.J. Overeem is slated to face Fabricio Werdum on a date that has yet to be determined.
When the brackets were finalized, Barnett found himself in the less appealing group. That he isn't in the same group with Emelianenko, Overeem and Werdum reveals how much Barnett's star has dimmed.
Fedor: 'I Never Believed I Was the Best Fighter in the World'
Heavyweight great Fedor Emelianenko will leave it up to observers and pundits to determine who the No. 1 heavyweight in the world is following the conclusion of the 2010 Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix.
Should the winner of the tournament be ranked higher than the UFC heavyweights?
"That's probably something the specialists and commentators should decide," Fedor said Thursday on a conference call promoting his upcoming quarterfinal bout against Antonio Silva.
UFC 125 Draws 12,874 For $2.1 Million Gate
The NSAC today announced the official attendance and live gate figures for UFC 125 on January 1. Although the total attendance was 12,974, only 6978 tickets were sold and there were 5896 comps and 1077 unsold tickets. The total live gate was $2,174,780.
UFC 128 Gets 2 More Fights Including Assuncao-Gamburyan
With tickets already on sale to the general public for UFC 128, the company's executives are busy lining out the evening's official plans. And while a main-card matchup between Yoshihiro Akiyama and Nate Marquardt was confirmed earlier today, the UFC wasn't quite done making announcements. Company brass also announced two additional matchups for the evening's preliminary card, including a previously unreported featherweight bout of Raphael Assuncao vs. Manny Gamburyan. The other confirmed fight is Luiz Cane vs. Karlos Vemola.
UFN 24 Official For Seattle, Garcia-Phan First Fight
In March, the UFC makes its first-ever trip to Seattle, and a highly anticipated featherweight rematch will be featured on the evening's main card. UFC executives today announced that UFC Fight Night 24 takes place March 26 at Key Arena in Seattle and airs on Spike TV. While the card is expected to be headlined by a light heavyweight contest between Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Tito Ortiz, Leonard Garcia vs. Nam Phan II is the first fight officially announced for the event.
Strikeforce Clarifies HW Tournament Rules
While the buzz surrounding Strikeforce's recently announced heavyweight grand prix has been immense, understanding of the specifics of the tourney has been a bit less than ideal. Today, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker clarified many of the questions that needed to be addressed. First up, Alistair Overeem's title will not be on the line in the tournament. And while there were some suggestions that every fight in the tournament would be contested as five-round affairs, instead, that will only happen in the grand prix finals, when a newly created Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix title will be on the line. "All quarterfinal and semifinal matches will be scheduled for three, five-minute rounds," Coker said. "The tournament final will be five, five-minute rounds for the Strikeforce world grand prix championship." Strikeforce's heavyweight grand prix, featuring such luminaries as Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem, former UFC champions Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett, PRIDE great Fedor Emelianenko, and others, kicks off on Feb. 12 at "Strikeforce and M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Silva," which takes place at the IZOD Center in East Rutherford, N.J. With the heavyweight grand prix set up as an eight-man, multi-night, single-elimination tournament, draws could prove problematic along the way. In order to address that, Coker said a fourth judge will be on hand in each fight to determine which fighter will advance from the tie. "If any fight results in a draw, an independent fourth judge will determine who advances or who wins based on the fighter's overall performance in the fight," Coker said. "We will have a fourth judge on hand scoring the fight independently of the three that we normally have." The final question mark in terms of tournament format involved potential injuries to the eight competitors. If a winner suffers a serious issue, who continues on in the bracket? "If a fighter qualifies to advance in the tournament but for any reason can not advance, we're forming a five-person tournament-review committee who will select a fighter to advance in his place," Coker said. "This fighter will be chosen from a pool of fighters that will include the previous opponent and the winners of reserve matches."
Thiago Silva Doesn't Care What A "Jerk" Like Jon Jones Thinks
And he certainly didn't appreciate Jones calling him out after his recent win over Brandon Vera, as he tells the TATAME. "This guy is a jerk. Everybody’s a professional fighter and all fights include provocations. Brandon Vera said he’s break my legs, that I wasn’t on his level. I don’t say things, I do. You get recognized when you do things. I’m a professional fighter, but I can’t always please everybody. There’s always somebody behind the computed with a plate filled with French fries, ready to criticize you. I fight for the fans, for the money and to put my name up there. Talking is too much easy, nobody knows what goes on in your life, your trainings… I think I did my job. Who likes it, likes it, but you can dislike it if you want."
Phil Baroni Signs With Titan Fighting Championships
"The New York Bad Ass" will return. Despite his recent release from the UFC, 34-year-old Phil Baroni will fight again, this time with the Kansas-based Titan Fighting Championship. Titan Fighting Championship officials announced late Wednesday night that Baroni has signed a multi-fight deal with the promotion. The company expects Baroni to debut on March 25 against an opponent still to be determined.
Jens Pulver in main event of XFO 38, Jan. 22
Former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver (22-14-1) will whet his appetite for an expected March fight with another booking later this month just outside of Chicago.
Now-featherweight Pulver is set to headline XFO 38 opposite Mike Lindquist (6-19) on Jan. 22 at the Woodstock Harley Davidson in Woodstock, Ill.
It's the former champ's second fight since being released from the now-defunct WEC following a stretch of five losses.
Report: Pace-McDonald Slated for UFC Fight Night 24
Bantamweight prospects Nick Pace and Michael McDonald have agreed to meet at UFC Fight Night 24, according to a report from MMAWeekly.com.
While neither the matchup nor the event has been announced by the promotion, the show is expected to go down on March 26 at Key Arena in Seattle, and will likely be headlined by a light heavyweight duel between Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Tito Ortiz.
Pace suffered the first loss of his career against Demetrious Johnson in September, but rebounded with a victory over Will Campuzano at “The Ultimate Fighter 12” finale in December. The Team Tiger Schulmann representative ended the fight late in the third round with an innovative submission which he dubbed the “Pace Choke.”
Volkmann On Leave While High School Investigates Obama Comments
Jacob Volkmann (Pictured) has been placed on paid administrative leave by his employer, White Bear Lake Area High School -- North Campus, while the institution conducts an investigation regarding the UFC lightweight’s postfight comments about President Barack Obama.
Volkmann, 30, serves as an assistant coach to the Minnesota school’s wrestling team and also coaches its youth wrestling club for children from kindergarten to sixth grade. His standing as head coach of the squad has not been affected.
“It’s very frustrating that they think that I’m being a bad influence on the students.” Volkmann told Sherdog.com. “That’s what their reason was [for placing me on leave].”
As Movie Release Nears, Scott Coker Expects Gina Carano Back Soon
Stop me if you've heard this one before: Scott Coker thinks Gina Carano will return to Strikeforce sooner rather than later.
Of course you have. But this time, he really believes it's going to happen.
That's what the Strikeforce CEO said again on Monday's episode of The MMA Hour. If you recall, Coker said back in October 2009 that Carano would return to action "probably towards the summertime" of 2010.
TUF 13 Coaches Announced
The big men of mixed martial arts are back on The Ultimate Fighter, but this time, they will be coaching, not competing.
UFC President Dana White announced today that former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar and number one contender Junior dos Santos will match wits as the coaches of season 13 of the hit Spike TV reality series.
Following the season, which begins filming this month and begins airing on March 30, Lesnar and dos Santos will then match fists in the Octagon later in 2011.
This will be the first time either fighter has appeared on The Ultimate Fighter, which began airing on Spike in 2005. The last time heavyweights coached the show was during season eight in 2008, when dos Santos’ mentor, “Minotauro” Nogueira, faced off against former champion Frank Mir. This season, the two will coach a host of welterweight hopefuls looking to secure a UFC contract.
Mark Hominick vs. Jose Aldo Being Targeted For UFC 129 (Updated)
Josh Grispi's loss could be Mark Hominick's gain. According to "Showdown" Joe Ferrara, if Hominick beats George Roop at UFC Fight Night 23 and comes out injury free, he will face UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo at UFC 129 in Toronto. This was to have happened at UFC 125 but an injury then an Aldo injury changed plans.
Update: Dana White has confirmed the report.
Jon Jones: With The Right Fight, I Would Definitely Take A Fight At Heavyweight
And he adds it doesn't have to be a title fight or a Cain Velasquez, but he's thinking about taking the Randy Couture career path at some point. "I kind of like how Randy (Couture) has done it all throughout his MMA career. With the right fight, I would definitely take a fight at heavyweight, but my dreams and my goals are all at the light heavyweight division, and I don't want anything to get twisted saying I want to fight Cain (Velasquez) or any of the top heavyweights. If there was a cool fight stylistically for me at heavyweight, I'd give something to the fans and fight at a bigger weight."