Boxing: Adrien Broner Indicted on Assault, Robbery Charges
Multi-divisional world boxing champion Adrien Broner was indicted by a grand jury on Thursday. Broner, who was arrested and put behind bars earlier this week for violating his probation in an unrelated reckless driving case, could face up to 26 years in prison if found guilty.
Broner (32-2, 24 KOs) was officially indicted on assault and robbery charges stemming from a lawsuit filed by a man who claimed Broner pointed a gun at him over a dispute over a high-stakes bowling session in the fighter’s hometown of Cincinnati. The man alleges to have won thousands of dollars from Broner, but when he tried to leave the bowling alley, “The Problem” pulled a gun on him and knocked him out, taking all of his money.
UFC Heavyweight Mark Hunt Signs 6-Fight, Multi-Million Dollar Contract
UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt has signed a multi-fight contract to remain with the Las Vegas-based promotion until the end of his mixed martial arts career.
UFC Tonight confirmed the news on Wednesday, but specific terms of Hunt’s deal were not disclosed on the show. According to a report from New Zealand-based stuff.co.nz, Hunt’s new contract is a “six fight multi-million dollar deal” that spans 30 months in total.
Ben Askren eyeing retirement at conclusion of ONE contract
Ben Askren is one of the best fighters in the world. And we may never get to see him match up with his elite peers.
The ONE Championship welterweight champ said he will likely retire at the end of his current contract, which has six fights remaining. Askren will defend his belt against Nikolay Aleksakhin in the main event of ONE: Global Rivals on Friday in the Philippines.
"I've got six fights left with ONE," Askren told MMA Fighting. "Then I told them, it's not a guarantee I'll be done, but I think there's a high likelihood that after those six fights I'll be calling it a day."
Dan Henderson to meet Hector Lombard at UFC 199
Lyoto Machida's drug testing issues removed him from this weekend's UFC on Fox 19 bout with Dan Henderson, but the UFC is apparently re-booking Hendo fairly soon. According to a report from Sherdog, Henderson will meet Hector Lombard at middleweight at UFC 199 on June 4th in Los Angeles.
The 45-year-old Henderson (31-14, 8-8 UFC) is coming off a quick loss to Vitor Belfort last November. He's 1-2 since he returned to the 185-pound division, with a knockout win over Tim Boetsch along with the Belfort loss and a loss to Gegard Mousasi.
Head coach: Joseph Benavidez no longer with Team Alpha Male
UFC flyweight contender Joseph Benavidez is the latest fighter to leave Sacramento's Team Alpha Male.
Team Alpha Male head coach Justin Buchholz confirmed Benavidez is no longer with the team and hasn't trained at the Ultimate Fitness facilities since December, when Buchholz took over as head coach, on his podcast, Stud Show Radio, Wednesday night.
"He did leave the team," Buchholz said. "I mean, you train here in Sacramento, you're part of Team Alpha Male, or you don't live here.
"He hasn't trained at all since I took over as head coach. I mean, I don't know. I thought Joe would at least give a chance of me, and Danny, and Holdsworth running this new program along with Master Thong and Joey. But he never did. He came in town for one week, he moved his house, did, like, one boxing class.
Ortega Battles Guida at UFC 199
Unbeaten featherweight prospect Brian Ortega will fight in his southern California backyard for the first time as a UFC fighter on June 4 when he faces veteran Clay Guida in a UFC 199 bout at The Forum in Inglewood, California.
Machida admits use of banned substance, UFC scraps Fox 19 fight with Henderson
UFC on Fox 19 just took another major hit. The bad news started rolling in last week, when officials announced that Tony Ferguson had been pulled from his headlining bout against Khabib Nurmagomedov, following a fluid buildup in his lungs. Eventually a replacement was found to fight Khabib on the main card, newcomer Darrell Horcher, but it was a major blow to the card's lineup of meaningful bouts.
And that ball is still rolling, as the UFC announced today via press release that Lyoto Machida has been removed from this week's Fox card as well, and his planned fight with Dan Henderson has been cancelled. It's not injury related though, as this appears to be one of the rare times where USADA testing has cancelled a big fight.
UFC releases statement on B.J. Penn investigation
The UFC made official on Wednesday the return of UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn, as well as the results of an investigation conducted into allegations of misconduct.
Penn, 37, will meet Dennis Siver in a featherweight bout at UFC 199 at the Forum in Inglewood, Calif., his first fight since announcing his retirement in the summer of 2014. The bout was initially reported by Yahoo Sports.
The former UFC welterweight and lightweight champion announced his intentions to return earlier in the year, but was put on hold when a string of sexual assault allegations surfaced.
Thursday, the UFC released a formal statement on the matter, which noted that no actions, civil or criminal, have been taken against Penn involving the allegations, but reserved the right to act based should new information come to light.
"Following a review of the matter by Campbell & Williams, a Las Vegas-based law firm hired by UFC to evaluate the situation, UFC has been informed that no criminal or civil charges have been filed against Penn to date, nor has any action been taken by local law enforcement. It should be noted that UFC reserves the right to reevaluate the matter should new information be made available," the UFC statement read.
Mike Jackson released by UFC after just one bout, headed for the boxing ring
The situation was all a little novel, but Mike Jackson -- who made his UFC debut against fellow debutant Mickey Gall on Feb. 6 in Las Vegas -- was never long for the Octagon.
Jackson has been released by the promotion after getting submitted in 45 seconds against Gall, the fighter who was discovered during an airing of Lookin' For A Fight being groomed for the chance to face pro wrestler-turned-mixed martial artist CM Punk (real name Phil Brooks).
Don’t blame my son for killing his MMA opponent
Here's why I wanted to post this. Many media outlets are putting a bad spin on this. Obviously it's a bad and sad situation, but I get really pissed when they keep saying "he punched him to death inside the cage". That makes it seem like he died in the cage as the guy was punching him.
The simple wording is giving MMA a bad rep. and people against it will jump on it etc. When it happens in boxing you don't read "he was punched to death in the ring"
Tito Ortiz suing manager of Jon Jones, Wayne Harriman, for unpaid 'loan'
A lawsuit filed by former UFC light heavyweight champion and current Bellator star Jacob "Tito" Ortiz against veteran MMA promoter and manager Wayne Harriman in Clark County, Nevada District Court last October for "breach of contract" is now progressing to the discovery phase.
In a complaint filed on October 22, 2015 by Tito Ortiz's attorneys, Martin Little and Taylor Waite, it is claimed that on July 19, 2011 Ortiz loaned Wayne Harriman "a sum of money in excess of Ten Thousand and no/100 dollars" (according to the March 30th, 2016 Commissioner's decision on request for exemption the amount was $125,000.) Harriman is alleged by Ortiz to have signed a "Simple Promissory Note (the "Note") wherein he expressly agreed to pay back the Loan, plus interest, by no later than August 1, 2012."
Shooto Champ Yutaka Saito, Caol Uno Get Opponents for ‘Fight & Mosh’ Card
Reigning Shooto 145-pound champion Yutaka Saito and onetime UFC contender Caol Uno will square off against American foes later this month in Chiba, Japan.
Shooto on Tuesday announced that Saito has been paired with CFFC titleholder Bill Algeo, while Uno will meet muay Thai practitioner Jason Childers. Both bouts are set for three five-minute rounds and will be contested at 145 pounds.
The matchups are part of the Shooto-produced “Fight & Mosh” event which takes place April 23 at Maihama Amphitheater in Urayasu, Chiba. Two world titles will be on the line that evening, with 125-pound ace Masaaki Sugawara defending against Hiromasa Ogikubo, and Koshi Matsumoto facing Yuki Kawana for the vacant 155-pound strap.
UFC earns best afternoon ratings ever on Fox Sports 1 with UFC Fight Night 86
A heavyweight contenders battle with Junior Dos Santos beating Ben Rothwell on Sunday did 781,000 viewers, the most-watched of the four afternoon live main cards to date on FS 1, and doubling the numbers of a similar show last year.
Sunday's Junior dos Santos vs. Ben Rothwell fight scored strong numbers, setting records for a live UFC afternoon show on FS 1.
The main card averaged 781,000 viewers, airing between 2 p.m. at 5:20 p.m. Eastern time. The UFC led FS1 to first place in viewership among all the sports cable networks in the time slot.
The audience was larger than several shows in 2015 that aired in prime time, as UFC ratings continue to be significantly up from last year's levels.
It was the most-watched UFC Fight Night show that aired outside of prime time on FS1 to date. It more than doubled the previous afternoon show one year ago that did 389,000 viewers, a show headlined by Chad Mendes' win over Ricardo Lamas. UFC had done three previous afternoon shows on FS1.
UFC Statement Following Viscardi Andrade’s Potential Anti-Doping Violation
UFC on Tuesday issued a statement after being informed fighter Viscardi Andrade had been notified of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation.
UFC partners with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency to oversee it’s anti-doping program. USADA was the organization notifying both the UFC and Andrade of the potential violation stemming from an out-of-competition drug test.
Viscardi AndradeThe UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has informed Viscardi Andrade of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation stemming from an out-of-competition sample collection on March 7, 2016. The sample was collected from Andrade in Brazil and analyzed at the WADA accredited laboratory in Rio de Janeiro, and recently reported to USADA as containing a prohibited substance.
UFC scraps planned April 25 Season 24 flyweight tryouts for 'The Ultimate Fighter'
After announcing a week ago the information for tryouts for a fall season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” the UFC today scrapped those plans.
This past week, the promotion announced “The Ultimate Fighter 24” would feature male flyweight fighters, and the show’s tournament winner will earn a title shot at the show’s live finale. Part of that announcement for “TUF 24? was a casting call for tryouts on April 25 at Palace Station Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas.
But today, the UFC released a statement saying those tryouts have been canceled.
UFC announced today that the open casting call for the upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter originally scheduled for April 25 in Las Vegas has been canceled. UFC apologizes for any inconveniences this cancelation has caused. More information about the next season of the show will be made available in the weeks to come.”
Former UFC fighter victim of assault
Chino Valley resident and former UFC fighter Edwin Dewees was the victim of an assault on Tuesday, April 5.
Chino Valley Police Det. Mark Garcia confirmed that Ladd A. Parker, 30, of Chino Valley, has been arrested in the case. Garcia did not confirm that Dewees is the victim, but he did not deny it when provided the name.
Heavyweight MMA fighter William Penn passes away at 32
Heavyweight MMA fighter William Penn has passed away at age 32, according to multiple reports.
Penn apparently suffered a heart attack over the weekend and passed away shortly thereafter. Penn was a native of Detroit, Michigan, and competed in 17 professional MMA bouts.
He was a veteran of Bellator, King of the Cage, NAAFS, Driven MMA, Hoosier Fight Club, Inoki Genome Fight, and more.
Always willing to fight the toughest opposition possible, he competed against........
Niklas Bäckström Makes BAMMA Debut in June
Swede Niklas Bäckström has booked his next bout, and it will be with the UK based BAMMA promotion. “I am delighted to get the opportunity to sign with Europe’s leading MMA promotion. The talent within the BAMMA Featherweight division is unbelievable and there are no easy fights in this promotion. However, I believe in my abilities 100% and can’t wait to put on a show for the MMA fans across Europe.” says the Allstars Training Center fighter to the promotion upon the announcement first published by MMA Latest.
Monson reveals Taktarov match-up is a parody fight: 'This is like a WWE thing'
Jeff Monson revealed that his scheduled match-up against Oleg Taktarov is a parody bout that has been misreported by the media.
Last week, a match-up between Jeff Monson and UFC 6 tournament winner Oleg Taktarov was announced by various Russian outlets. However, the articles failed to mention that the contest was not a real MMA fight, but a "parody" fight done for entertainment purposes.
According to Monson, his match with Taktarov will resemble a professional wrestling bout with a scripted storyline.
"This is fun. This is like a WWE thing," Monson told BloodyElbow. "We're going to get there in a couple of days early and script it; get the audience involved. It is nothing more than that.