Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Jason Brilz Slated for UFC 129 in Toronto
A light-heavyweight bout between Vladimir Matyushenko and Jason Brilz is being finalized for April's UFC 129 event in Toronto.
Sources close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com that verbal agreements are in place and that bout agreements are being finalized.
Brilz was expected to meet Matyushenko this past November at UFC 122 before a back injury forced him to pull out of the overseas show.
Tim Credeur vs. Ed Herman targeted for TUF 13 Finale in June
Dustin Poirier isn't the only Gladiator Academy product planning to do work in June.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has confirmed that Tim Credeur (12-3 MMA, 3-1 UFC) is also expected to return to the octagon in June in order to take on "The Ultimate Fighter 3" finalist Ed Herman (19-7 MMA, 4-5 UFC).
The two are expected to meet at The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale in a matchup that was first reported by HeavyMMA.com.
Dustin Poirier vs. Rani Yahya in the works for June's UFC 131 event
Fast-rising featherweight prospect Dustin Poirier (9-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) will soon tangle with Brazilian submission ace Rani Yahya (16-6 MMA, 1-0 UFC).
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has confirmed that both fighters have verbally agreed to meet at June's UFC 131 event.
Bout agreements for the contest, which was first reported by Heavy.com, are expected to be finalized shortly.
While not yet officially announced by the promotion, UFC 131 is expected to take place June 11 at Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
Tito Ortiz Off UFN 24, Davis Faces Nogueira
The UFC's first-ever trip to Washington has undergone a major overhaul. UFC president Dana White today announced that Tito Ortiz has been forced out of the UFC Fight Night 24 main event after receiving stitches, and Phil Davis has been tapped as a replacement opponent for Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. Davis had been expected ot next fight at UFC 129.
Keith Hackney: Where Is He Now?
Held on Sept. 9, 1994, UFC 3 had some notable tweaks from its two predecessors. It remained in a one-night, tournament format but with an eight-man field, instead of 16. The canvas, previously white, was replaced with a more viewer-friendly blue. It was, in a sense, a social phenomenon coming to terms with its own success, which was accompanied by an equal dose of notoriety.
Naturally, that was exactly when Art Davie, then co-owner of the UFC, made the call to Keith Hackney. It came during the peak time for Hackney’s primary business, a heating and air conditioning company he founded in 1980 and still runs today.
His background included boxing, tang soo do, five years of kenpo and a year of high school wrestling, in which he made the state tournament as a 98-pound sophomore. After Hackney responded to a magazine ad, event organizers told him the roster was full but that, perhaps, a future slot could be in the works.
“He said somebody backed out and they had a space for me. It was one week before the fight,” Hackney says. “I thought if I said no, they wouldn’t call me back in the future, so I said, ‘I don’t care. I’ll fight. Get me on a plane.’ Art said, ‘Whoa! Let me tell you who you’re competing against.’ I didn’t care. I wanted to fight.”
Kenny Florian vs. Diego Nunes in the works for UFC 131 in Vancouver
After dropping hints of a possible move to 145 pounds, two-time lightweight title challenger Kenny Florian (14-5 MMA, 11-4 UFC) erased all doubts.
On the latest edition of ESPN's "MMA Live" series, Florian announced he'll meet Brazilian featherweight Diego Nunes (16-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) at June's UFC 131 event.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since verified that both fighters have verbally agreed to the fight and that bout agreements are expected to be finalized shortly.
UFC 131, which is expected to take place June 11 at Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. It's currently unknown if the Florian vs. Nunes fight will factor into the evening's main card.
For Florian, the move confirms he'll now compete in an incredible fourth different weightclass for the UFC.
Bellator Boss: No Ricco Rodriguez Deal
Ricco Rodriguez has not joined the Bellator Fighting Championships roster. Although the fighter recently gave an interview in which he said he has signed a contract with the promotion, an official denied those claims. "Ricco's a great fighter enjoying a spectacular rebirth to his career, but he is not signed to Bellator," Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney said when reached for comment.
Rich Franklin Gets Tattooed After Losing UFC 126 Bet With Forrest Griffin
This one's gonna leave a mark.
Prior to their UFC 126 co-main event fight, Rich Franklin and opponent Forrest Griffin joked about the loser getting tattooed. At least it seemed like a joke.
But don't ever say Rich Franklin isn't a man of his word. True to his promise, Franklin -- who lost the fight via unanimous decision -- visited a tattoo shop on Friday to begin the process of getting inked.
Sportfight Champ Official for Bellator’s 205-Pound Tournament
Sportfight heavyweight champion D.J. Linderman (Pictured) will make the cut to 205 pounds in order to compete in the inaugural Bellator Fighting Championships light heavyweight tournament. The promotion on Friday made Linderman’s participation in the Season 4 draw official.
Bellator is looking better every day! I never post news so some one let me know if I'm doing it wrong.
Brandon Vera Wants To Know "The Truth" About Thiago Silva's Urine Sample
And he also hoped that he's the person to welcome Silva back to UFC...once he gets back himself. "I roll with Phil Davis. I roll with Travis Browne. I roll with Junior dos Santos. I roll with the Nogueira brothers. When I'm in the half guard underneath somebody and I have their leg, and my other leg's half-cocked up on their arm pit, I can rock people back and forth. I can rock you and either stand back up or get the sweep. I remember when I was underneath him and I was pushing him back and forth. I was thinking, ‘What the hell? Why is this guy so damn strong?' And I remember thinking during the fight, ‘Yo, I gotta start lifting weights again.' He was one of, if not the strongest dudes I ever rolled with in my life ... There's stuff I want to say about you, Thiago. You know, I'm glad you were happy winning the way you were. It's cool, man. It's cool. If this thing comes back and you did do whatever you did and I make it back to the UFC, on your welcoming back party, I want to make sure I'm the one you get to fight. And I promise if you take me down, I'm going to get back up. Then I'm going to punish you on the feet just like I did while we were fighting, until you took me down. Then you gave it to me, but you won't take me down next fight. So I'm glad you got to showboat. I'm glad you got to win, kind of. But I'm gonna see you again soon, bud."
Was Fedor's Loss the Desired Result For Strikeforce?
If what Ariel Helwani is saying is to be believed, then the answer quite possibly is yes. "I don't think that they will admit this to us on the record at least but, trust me, I'm not going to call anyone out but I spoke to a few people in Strikeforce who, when I said ‘what does this mean?', a smile instantly appeared on their face. I mean, I'm not saying that they're rooting for Fedor, obviously not, but let's be honest, I mean, everyone knows that it's very hard to deal with M-1. So, now, April 9th it's not an M-1 Global & Strikeforce event. That's just a Strikeforce event."
M-1 and Showtime Reach Broadcast Deal, First Event Airs on March 25
International fight promotion M-1 Global and premium U.S. cable channel Showtime have reached a deal to televise four U.S. events in 2011, MMA Fighting has learned.
The first event will take place on March 25 at the Constant Convocation Center in Norfolk, Va. and air at 11 p.m. ET. It will be the first of four M-1 U.S. Challenge shows to appear on the network this year, sources with knowledge of the situation confirmed.
The deal is expected to be officially announced on Friday morning.
M-1 is best known as the company that manages the career of Russian MMA great Fedor Emelianenko, but a promotional arm has been running events in Europe and other parts of the world for over a decade.
Ex-Strikeforce fighter Bobby Lashley headlines HDNet's Titan FC 17 on March 25
Former WWE star and ex-Strikeforce fighter Bobby Lashley returns to the cage on March 25 to headline the HDNet-televised Titan Fighting Championships 17 event.
Officials today announced Lashley (5-1) fights M-1 Challenger James Jack (6-2-1) at the show.
The event takes place March 25 at Historic Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kan.
A previously announced bout between Phil Baroni and Nick Nolte co-headlines the show.
"We received an overwhelming amount of positive feedback from the MMA community following our HDNet debut on Jan. 28," stated Titan Fighting CEO Joe Kelly, who featured an Abe Wagner vs. Tim Sylvia headliner this past month. "A lot of unique opportunities have presented themselves to Titan since the show, and working with Bobby Lashley was one of them. We are really excited to be working with Bobby as he continues his pursuit of MMA greatness."
"UFC Fight Night 23: UFC Fight for the Troops 2" drug tests come back clean
All six fighters who underwent drug testing at January's "UFC Fight Night 23: UFC Fight for the Troops 2" event tested clean for performance-enhancing drugs and recreational/drugs of abuse.
UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner today confirmed the results with MMAjunkie.com.
"UFC Fight Night 23: UFC Fight for the Troops 2" took place Jan. 22 at Fort Hood in Texas, and the night's main card aired on Spike TV. The event raised more than $4 million for the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund.
Lentz-Lowe Matchup Targeted for UFC Fight Night 24
A lightweight clash between two powerful wrestlers will go down at UFC Fight Night 24, as Minnesota Martial Arts Academy product Nik Lentz squares off with American Top Team standout Waylon Lowe.
Sherdog.com today confirmed the matchup with a source close to the bout, which was initially reported by MMADieHards.com. According to Sherdog.com’s source, bout agreements were recently signed.
UFC Fight Night 24 will mark the promotion’s first trip to Seattle, as the event emanates from KeyArena on March 26. The show will be headlined by a light heavyweight showdown between former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz and onetime Pride Fighting Championships star Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. Also expected for the event is a welterweight duel between the returning Anthony “Rumble” Johnson and heavy-handed Brit Dan Hardy. In total, 11 bouts have been made official for the show; only Lentz-Lowe remains unannounced.
Dan Lauzon Stabbed Outside Boston Nightclub
Dan Lauzon is recovering today after being stabbed in the shoulder following an altercation early Thursday morning outside a Boston-area nightclub. An initial report from the "Enterprise News" states Lauzon was stabbed with a knife on the top of his shoulder during a fight with a group of men in the club's parking lot at around 1 a.m. ET. Lauzon's name subsequently was removed from the report, but his older brother, current UFC lightweight Joe Lauzon, confirmed the incident via his personal blog. Joe Lauzon was due this morning to depart for Iraq to visit active-duty troops. He injured his ankle on the way to Bridgewater Hospital where Dan was taken after the incident. "I got to the hospital and gimp-walked my way into the ER and found Dan in one of the rooms," he wrote on his blog. "Luckily, everything was OK, and it wasn’t a big deal as was originally thought." Bridgewater police are investigating the incident. Joe's trip is now delayed while his ankle heals from what doctors are calling a bad sprain. "Hopefully I can walk on it better by tomorrow and I can get another flight out there, but it’s not looking real good," he stated. "I definitely won't be able to train out there, but I would still like to be able to do all of the Q&A, meet and greets and whatnot."
Bellator Champ Ben Askren Draws UFC Vet Nick Thompson
Unbeaten Bellator welterweight champion Ben Askren has his next test, and it will be against his most seasoned opponent yet.
Askren, who won the promotion's Season 2 welterweight tournament to earn a date with champ Lyman Good, whom he beat to win the title in October, will face UFC veteran Nick Thompson at Bellator 40 in April. Bellator made the fight official on Wednesday – though it will be a non-title fight.
Featherweight Ronnie Mann Signs With Bellator
Highly touted featherweight Ronnie Mann has signed an exclusive contract with Bellator, CEO Bjorn Rebney informed MMA Fighting on Wednesday. The 18-2-1 fighter has been released from his Sengoku Raiden Championship contract and will compete in Bellator's upcoming fourth season in a televised non-tournament bout. He will then be a part of the following season's 145-pound tournament.
Mann, the current Shark Fights featherweight champion is 7-1 in his last 8 fights. He lost to Hatsu Hioki via submission in the second round of SRC's featherweight grand prix in May 2009.
Mike Brown Dealing With Hand Injury, Mystery Heart Ailment
Times are tough right now for Mike Brown, to say the very least. The former WEC featherweight champion has lost four of his past six fights and two in a row for the first time since 2004. His future is uncertain and remains on unstable ground due to his recent performances. Couple that with lingering questions regarding the 35-year-old's overall health after nearly a decade in the fight game, and his career officially has been placed in a quandary. He has a torn ligament in a finger suffered against Rani Yahya. But that's not all. He potentially could have a bigger, much more serious issue to address. "I am seeing a cardiologist," Brown said. "It's something to do with my heart rate not being right.
"It happened in the middle of camp. We thought we were overtraining because I was peaking hard, and all the sudden, I started getting more and more tired really quickly. It didn't make any sense. I'd be sparring for half a round, and I was getting exhausted. But two weeks before, I was mowing through everyone in camp." Although he did experience the same sensation against Diego Nunes, it was even more pronounced in the Yahya fight. "My body shut down," he said. "I had this weird lactic acid buildup real early. It's the most bizarre thing. It just wasn't me." Currently, the jury is still out on what exactly has been plaguing him.