Jason 'Mayhem' Miller Upset About Being Unaware Of Strikeforce, CBS Ban
May 3, 2011 - I've tried to be sober about criticism of Strikeforce. As an organization with limited financial or logistical capacity, I've found their shortcomings to be as real as they are understandable. However, there's nothing reasonable about the alleged treatment given to Jason Miller during his last year in the Strikeforce. While the controversial fighter and TV host certainly took it upon himself to squander good will from executives, that's a very different concern than being properly informed of his marginalization.
Strikeforce Returning to Chicago Suburbs With Fedor Emelianenko vs. Dan Henderson
It appears as though Strikeforce will return to the Chicago area for the first time since the Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers event. That event was fairly well received by the local crowd and there was an atmosphere that seemed to support the idea of Fedor as a superstar. This is valuable since the rumor is that Fedor's next fight will be on the show. Via MMA Junkie:
Multiple sources close to negotiations today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Strikeforce has earmarked July 30 for a major Showtime-televised event, putting on hold plans for a pay-per-view event.
However, a heavyweight superfight between Fedor Emelianenko and current Strikeforce light-heavyweight champion Dan Henderson, which has been rumored as the headliner to a potential pay-per-view card, is still in advanced negotiations and could headline the late summer event.
A location for the Showtime event has yet to be confirmed, though the Sears Centre in Chicago has surfaced as one possible locale.
Police Investigating UFC Legend Matt Hughes in Alleged Nose Breaking Brawl
UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes is known for his down home mid-western simple man values. He's an outspoken Christian conservative and family man who's been critical of other fighters such as Randy Couture for their lifestyle choices. Now TMZ is reporting that Illinois police want to talk to Hughes about an incident in a bar:
TMZ has confirmed 37-year-old Hughes was named in a police report filed in Taylor Springs, IL ... stemming from an April 23 incident at a place called Trails End Bar and Grill.
According to a source who was inside the bar, Hughes got into an argument with a male bar patron ... which led to some forceful shoving.
Sources tell us ... the woman is alleging Hughes pushed the other man into her ... and she suffered a broken nose in the collision. TMZ obtained a photo of the woman's face taken after the incident.
Cung Le Says He Won't Be Fighting in 2011
In an ESPN story, former Strikeforce middleweight champion Cung Le discussed his future in MMA and it didn't exactly sound too promising. With his acting career going ahead full speed, it doesn't look like there will be any time for the almost 39-year-old Le to step into a Strikeforce (or UFC) cage any time in the near future. In fact, he actually deemed a 2011 return "impossible":
Le says for him to continue fighting it would have "to be soon because the clock is ticking." Yet when asked if that means it would happen in 2011 he says, "that would be impossible" due to his demanding work load.
"I’m doing well right now being in the films," Le said. "A lot of people are telling me, 'you should just retire, you’re not going to fight.' Other people are saying 'you got to fight.' You can’t make everybody happy."
Georges St. Pierre eye injury update: Eye filled with blood but no detached retina
"The doctors were very worried it was a detached retina because they couldn't see inside his eye. They flashed the light inside his eye and normally they're supposed to be able to see inside the eye, but the eye was filled with obstructions. The doctor was saying he couldn't see inside, so he needed to go to a specialist. Luckily it was just blood in the eye and not the detached retina. This occurred after the swipe to the face. When he threw that open handed hook, that was recorded, I complained to the ref immediately. I saw it, I completely saw it. I complained about it immediately to the referee that it was an open hand swipe to the face. I don't think it was intentional, but I mean it still happened, and he should get a warning and it should be kept in mind that he's punching with an open hand. It's not right, it's very dangerous."
While Zahabi believes the eye poke was not intentional, there are more than a few concerned parties that disagree. To see the infraction so you can judge for yourself click
Paulo Thiago vs. David Mitchell Added to UFC 134: Rio
UFC 134: Rio continues to come together. The event will be held at the HSBC arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on August 27, 2011. The latest announcement is Paulo Thiago taking on David Mitchell in a welterweight tilt. Sherdog with the news:Welterweight submission specialists Paulo Thiago and David Mitchell have agreed to square off UFC 134 in Rio de Janeiro. Thiago informed Sherdog.com of the matchup on Monday evening."I'm signing my contract right now and I'm very happy," said Thiago. "Fighting in Brazil again is like a dream. All my friends and family will be in Rio de Janeiro."
Gabriel Gonzaga gets first post-UFC fight, meets Josh Barnes June 25th at MMAX
In his first fight since his release from the organization, former UFC title challenger Gabriel Gonzaga (11-6) meets Bellator and EliteXC vet veteran Josh Barnes (6-5) in June.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the matchup with event sources.
Gonzaga and Barnes meet June 25 at MMA Explosions' "MMAX: Heavyweight Xplosion" event.
The event is expected to take place at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.
UFC 129 medical suspensions: St. Pierre, Hominick, Couture and Brilz out 60 days
Seven fighters – including main-card competitors Georges St-Pierre, Mark Hominick, Randy Couture and Jason Brilz – received 60-day medical suspensions following Saturday's UFC 129 event.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today obtained the list of suspensions from the Ontario Ministry of Consumer Services' Office of the Athletics Commissioner.
All fighters from the April 30 card received suspensions of at least 14 days.
Champ Georges St. Pierre ok after UFC 129 eye injury, expected to recover
Welterweight Georges St-Pierre did not sustain any permanent damage to his vision this past Saturday at UFC 129.
The welterweight champion got poked in the left eye during the sixth defense of his title, which came in the event's headliner against Jake Shields (26-5-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC).
Trainer Greg Jackson today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) suffered internal bleeding in the eye, which severely affected his ability to fight, but is expected to make a full recovery.
7 Fights Official for TUF 13 Finale
American Kickboxing Academy representative Kyle Kingsbury will lock horns with Fabio Maldonado in a pivotal light heavyweight matchup at “The Ultimate Fighter 13” on June 4 at the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas. Seven fights are now official for the event, which will air live on Spike TV.
Kingsbury will carry a three-fight winning streak into the bout. The 29-year-old Sunnyvale, Calif., native last appeared at UFC 126 in February, when he smashed through Ricardo Romero in 21 seconds at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. Kingsbury, who competed on Season 8 of “The Ultimate Fighter,” sports seven first-round finishes on his resume. He played college football at Arizona State University before pursuing a career in MMA.
UFC 129 Results: Sickness Slowed Jose Aldo During His Bout Against Mark Hominick
Jose Aldo dominated the first round of his UFC 129 bout against Mark Hominick. Shortly after the second round started though, the champion seemed visibly tired. Commentator Joe Rogan speculated that it could be a result of a bad weight cut, bringing up that Aldo was light headed and had to excuse himself during the Q&A portion that featured the 7 UFC champs. It seems that wasn't the case though.
BE Reader fafefifofo, brought up that right before Rogan interviewed Aldo, he complained to his corner that he should have taken antibiotics. Bloody Elbow's Tom Mendes of Brazil was able to confirm this
Hatsu Hioki, 'Lion' Takeshi Inoue Victorious at Shooto Tradition 2011
Japanese featherweight kingpin Hatsu Hioki, considered by many to be one of the best featherweight fighters in the world, extended his winning streak to four as he defeated King of the Cage bantamweight champion Donald Sanchez in non-title action at Shooto Tradition 2011 this past weekend. Hioki impressively slapped on a triangle choke from full mount before transitioning to his back at the 1:36 mark of the second round to secure the victory.
Hioki's future is still up in the air at this point. The 27-year-old Nagoya-born grappler hasn't mentioned any plans to move stateside to the UFC, but his 12-1-1 record over the last three-and-a-half years would suggest that the time has come for him to tread into deeper waters. With regional stars like Marlon Sandro, Eduardo Dantas, and Michihiro Omigawa making their way stateside, it seems inevitable that Hioki would do the same.
Anthony Pettis Still Gets A UFC Lightweight Title Shot If He Beats Clay Guida in June
Things didn’t go as smoothly for his entrance into the UFC as he had hoped, but Anthony Pettis still has a title shot in his future with a win in June.
The final WEC lightweight champion was on a collision course with the winner of Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard for his first fight in the Octagon, but an unexpected draw forced Pettis to wait on the sidelines.
Not wishing to sit out for an extended period of time, Pettis opted to accept a fight against Clay Guida in the main event of “The Ultimate Fighter Season 13? finale coming up in June. The division has also continued to develop new contenders as well.
UFC 129 results: Nate Diaz 'probably' dropping back down to lightweight after loss to Rory MacDonald
Nate Diaz has apparently worn out his welcome in the welterweight division.
The younger brother of Nick Diaz initially had a strong showing with consecutive stoppages in his first two 170-pound fights, against Rory Markham and Marcus Davis, respectively, but has now lost back-to-back fights to strong grapplers in Dong Hyun Kim and Rory MacDonald.
Diaz's coach, Cesar Gracie, tells MMAmania.com his fighter out of the "209" will likely return to 155-pounds
Machida credits training changes, Seagal for UFC 129 win over Couture
With his third career "Knockout of the Night" win at this past weekend's UFC 129 event, former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida (17-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC) reversed a trend of recent defeats that had many MMA observers questioning his viability as a current UFC contender.
The leaping front kick finish that appeared part Anderson Silva, part "Karate Kid," led Randy Couture to call it a career – not to mention schedule a dental appointment to replace a few incisors.
Following the win, Machida admitted the pressure was on heading into the fight. Now he's hoping to use a refined approach to training (as well as Steven Seagal's advice) to make it back to the top.