Bjorn Rebney Speaks Out on Randy Couture, Eddie Alvarez, And the Real ‘Toughest Tournament in Sports'
Bjorn Rebney Speaks Out on Randy Couture, Eddie Alvarez, And the Real ‘Toughest Tournament in Sports’
(Red rover, red rover, we call Captain America on over! Pic Props: MMAFighting.com)
By Jason Moles
Between preparing to launch a new mixed martial arts reality television show on Spike TV, to selecting venues for 2014, Bjorn Rebney‘s time for small talk is sparse. But the Bellator MMA CEO always seems to have a moment to discuss his favorite topic — how much he loves running the second-largest MMA promotion in the world, and what the future holds in store.
Early Friday morning, just after the Bellator 87 post-fight press conference concluded at the Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort in frigid Mount Pleasant, Michigan, I had the opportunity to speak with Rebney about some of the important topics that have developed in the past few weeks, and the impact they would have going forward for the ever-expanding fight promotion.
You could tell the man was tired by the look in his sleep-deprived eyes. Sitting on stage, and probably still laughing on the inside after having watched lightweight contender Lloyd “Cupcake” Woodard shave his facial hair after losing a stipulation match to David “Caveman” Rickels not more than five minutes prior to our conversation (the clippings were still on the table next to him), the most powerful man in the building finally had a fleeting moment to collect his thoughts while resting for the first time that day…
Why Top MMA News Says: ‘The Score Is No More’
This past week, Top MMA News broke the very unfortunate news that one of Canada’s top MMA promotions was closing their doors – The Score Fighting Series was ceasing operations. If you missed the news, you can read it HERE.
As expected, the news spread rapidly and was met with dismay by the Canadian MMA community. Losing a show of this caliber negatively affects fans, fighters, venues, the promotion’s staff, gyms, the entire sport of MMA. Hell, losing a promotion that was a pipeline for great Canadian fighters in great Canadian markets even negatively impacts the UFC. Jesse Ronson and Josh Hill would not be on the UFC’s radar, if it was not for the Score putting on events.
The following day, The Score issued a press release to refute the Top MMA News story. You can read it HERE. It basically said that The Score or the Trustee released some individuals, but no decision was made on Score Fighting Inc. Immediately, fans held their breath and crossed their fingers hoping it was true and web sites that copied our previous story, quickly removed their version and instead stated that the Score was alive and kicking because no decision had been made.
Well, sadly, that is not true. The Score Fighting Series is no more.
MARLON MORAES VS. TYSON NAM SLATED FOR WSOF 2 ON MARCH 23
A long-expected bantamweight bout between Marlon Moraes (9-4-1) and Tyson Nam (12-4) finally has a date: March 23.
The 135-pounders will meet at World Series of Fighting's sophomore show. Sources close to the event, WSOF 2, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) bout agreements have been signed.
The Las Vegas-based promotion hasn't made a formal announcement about the event or a location. The organization's debut show took place in Las Vegas back in November and aired on NBC Sports Network.
The organization initially planned to host its second event this past month, but the date ultimately was pushed back.
Jose Aldo-Anthony Pettis considered
"Something interesting happened about 10 minutes ago," said White, at the postfight press conference. "Anthony Pettis said, 'I want to go to 145 and fight Jose Aldo.' He told me he'll make 145."
"It didn't cross my mind until he texted me, but it's crossing my mind now," White said. "I like it, and I like Pettis."
Aldo (22-1), who defeated Edgar via unanimous decision, expressed interest in the fight.
"It's up to Dana, but it's an interesting fight," Aldo said. "I train to fight the best. I respect them all. I think Pettis is close to a title shot in his own division."
Personally it think aldo needs to go to 155, the cut seems to be getting to be too much. he even said he always get sick doing it.
UFC 156 results & analysis - Aldo edges Edgar
Another 25-minute title fight for Frankie Edgar? Who'd have thunk it?
But for the third straight time, he came out on the short end of a decision, this time in a new division, falling to featherweight champion Jose Aldo in an entertaining battle. Aldo won with scores of 49-46, 49-46 and 48-47.
UFC 156 official weigh-in results: Champ Aldo (145), Edgar (144) hit mark
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
-Champ Jose Aldo (145) vs. Frankie Edgar (144)
-Rashad Evans (206) vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (206)
-Alistair Overeem (264) vs. Antonio Silva (262)
-Jon Fitch (171) vs. Demian Maia (170)
-Joseph Benavidez (126) vs. Ian McCall (125)
PRELIMINARY CARD (FX, 8 p.m. ET)
-Evan Dunham (155) vs. Gleison Tibau (155)
-Jay Hieron (168) vs. Tyron Woodley (170)
-Bobby Green (155) vs. Jacob Volkmann (156)
-Yves Edwards (155) vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg (156)
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 7 p.m. ET)
-Chico Camus (134) vs. Dustin Kimura (139.5)
-Edwin Figueroa (137.5) vs. Francisco Rivera (137)
Figueroa and Rivera has been given additional time to lose the remaining weight
Michael Bisping responds to rumors that Vitor Belfort failed his UFC on FX 7 drug test
Did Vitor Belfort fail his UFC on FX 7 drug test? Michael Bisping, who was knocked out by "The Phenom" last month in Brazil (see it here), is hoping the nasty little rumor making the rounds on Twitter isn't true. While Tatame reports the drug test results won't be released until later this month, Belfort may unfortunately (and unfairly) be held guilty until proven innocent, at least in the court of public opinion, following his steroid scandal back in 2006, which was later compounded by allegations of TRT use. Stay tuned.