Santos' camp denies weight issues, looks forward to Bellator 62 meeting with Prindle
Thiago Santos' camp insists their fighter did not dodge a bullet.
Despite some rumblings that suggested Santos was not going to make weight for a planned Bellator 61 meeting with Eric Prindle, "Big Monster" insists he was well on his way to 265 pounds.
"Thiago was actively cutting weight when I called him to inform him of the cancelation of the fight," Santos' manager told MMAjunkie.com. "It was 1 p.m., and he was only three kilograms (6.6 pounds) away from making weight. Making weight would not have been a problem for Thiago."
Jay Silva Offered Fight Against Anthony ‘Rumble’ Johnson; Still Not a Done Deal
Anthony ‘Rumble’ Johnson will make his first appearance since leaving the UFC at Titan Fighting 22 on May 25, but securing an opponent thus far has been no easy task.
Johnson will debut for the Kansas City based promotion after a loss to Vitor Belfort in January in Brazil.
“I’m back, and I’m fighting May 25 with Titan Fighting Championship, and I couldn’t be more thrilled to headline this event for all the fans in Kansas City and watching that night live on HDNet,” said Johnson. “I am so pumped to be fighting again, and I’m ready to take on whatever 185 pounder they put in front of me.”
Jon Jones Wants to be Considered One of the Greats in UFC History
UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has a supreme confidence that he will not only be the best 205-pound fighter for many years to come, but that it is truly his destiny to stay on top.
As he approaches the biggest fight of his young career, it’s hard to believe that this time two years ago Jones was just getting ready for his bout against Brandon Vera.
Fast forward 24 months and Jones has not only won the UFC light heavyweight title, but he’s defended it two times since then, finishing off two former champions in Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Lyoto Machida.
UFC's Chief Counsel "People Who Steal our Stuff--They're not our fans"
Several days after the UFC obtained user information from a website offering pirated pay-per-view events, the promotion plans to sue individuals who watched fights for free.
"We believe that we've got an obligation to go out there and try to protect the intellectual property and protect both our rights and the rights of our fighter-partners," UFC chief legal counsel Lawrence Epstein told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Wednesday.
The impending legal action, which was reported earlier this week by "The Wrestling Observer," represents a new tact in the UFC's fight against piracy.
Sure UFC, sure
Clearly they dont understand their fanbase.
Tavares replaces injured Hallman, faces Ferguson at UFC on FOX 3
With Dennis Hallman injured and forced to withdraw from May's UFC on FOX 3 event, Thiago Tavares (17-4-1 MMA, 7-4-1 UFC) will now face Tony Ferguson (13-3 MMA, 3-0 UFC) in a lightweight contest.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the report, which was first published by Tatame.
Featuring a lightweight bout between Nate Diaz and Jim Miller, "UFC on FOX 3: Diaz vs. Miller" takes place May 5 at IZOD Center in East Rutherford, N.J.
Tavares looks to build on a pair of big wins over Sam Stout and Spencer Fisher. The Brazilian is now 4-1-1 in his past six fights, but the consecutive wins are his first such back-to-back results since 2007...
Following NSAC challenge, lawyer says UFC's Nick Diaz didn't lie about marijuana RX
A lawyer representing Nick Diaz said the Nevada Attorney General's office made a "very offensive" and "ridiculous" statement when Diaz was accused of lying on a pre-fight medical questionnaire prior to his fight with Carlos Condit at UFC 143.
Las Vegas-based lawyer Ross Goodman contends that Diaz's medical-marijuana card doesn't constitute a prescription.
So, he said, the fighter wasn't lying when he checked "no" on the part of the questionnaire asking whether he had taken or received any prescribed medications two weeks prior to his fight.
"The fact that they're falling back now on this is significant because you would think they would respond to the stuff that we argued in the response, which I think is basically irrefutable," Goodman told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Goodman on March 7 responded to a complaint for disciplinary action against Diaz that was issued Feb. 8 when a post-fight drug test revealed the presence of marijuana metabolites. Diaz (27-8 MMA, 7-5 UFC) lost a unanimous decision to Condit (28-5 MMA, 5-1 UFC) in the headliner of UFC 143, which took place Feb. 4 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. He subsequently said he he was retiring from competition after the pay-per-view event.
For now, Diaz is temporarily suspended pending a hearing scheduled for next month in Las Vegas, where he'll appear to face a possible yearlong suspension and fines. He also tested positive for marijuana following a 2007 win over Takanori Gomi at PRIDE 33. Diaz was suspended for six months for that offense, and the result of the bout was changed to a no-contest.
Rule 467.850 of the NSAC's administrative code bars the use of illicit substances such as performance-enhancing drugs and drugs of abuse, including marijuana. The commission also recognizes a list of substances prohibited in and out of competition by the World Anti-Doping Agency, or WADA...
Bellator 61 weigh-in results:
Maiquel Falcao (186.6)* vs. Norman Paraisy (186)
Vyacheslav Vasilevsky (185.6) vs. Victor O'Donnell (186)
Giva Santana (186) vs. Bruno Santos (185.2)
Brian Rogers (186) vs. Vitor Vianna (185.6)
Brent Taylor (165.2) vs. Josh Quayhagen (164.6)
Derrick Krantz (170.4) vs. Eric Scallan (170.4)
Jeremy Myers (141) vs. Jason Sampson (134.6)
Trey Houston (185) vs. Jeremiah Riggs (185.8)
*Falcao has two hours to lose .6 of a pound
Anthony Pettis Shoots Down Rumors Of Dropping To Featherweight For Jose Aldo Fight
The idea of Anthony Pettis dropping to featherweight to fight for Jose Aldo's 145 pound title picked up a lot of steam when his manager made the statement that Pettis would do it "for the right terms." While the idea of the fight seemed amazing as Pettis and Aldo almost certainly couldn't put on a bad fight, there were immediate rebuttals to the idea that Pettis would actually drop in weight.
Roger Gracie Officially Drops To Middleweight, Joins Black House
In an interview with MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani, Ed Soares has confirmed that Roger Gracie is signing with Black House management and more importantly, he is dropping to the 185 pound Middleweight Division.
This is not the most shocking news as it has been rumored Gracie had been mulling a weight drop for some time and he has reportedly being working members of Black House, including UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva on Tatame.com a few months ago.
Roger's run at Light Heavyweight sparked some hope for the resurgence of the Gracie family legend, but his biggest wins were over an aged Kevin Randleman and Trevor Prangley. In his most recent fight with Muhammed Lawal, Gracie was knocked out within the first round.
For Gracie, this move makes a great deal of sense, for while he is long and tall, he lacks the heft and mass that the majority of elite Light Heavyweights enjoy. It is likely in any major fight Gracie entered at 205 lbs he would have been at a serious strength and size disadvantage. Furthermore, the top of the Strikeforce Light Heavyweight division is populated by strong wrestlers, who would likely be able to stop the Brazilian's attempts to take him down and win the striking battle decisively, as Lawal did.
At Middleweight, Gracie will be on the tallest fighters in the division at 6'4" and be on more equal footing in terms of physical strength. Throw in that the talent pool is a bit shallower at Middleweight and Gracie's grappling abilities could make him a real contender at that weight.
Positive Signs Point to UFC Events in Italy, Spain and France in Near Future
Mar 15, 2012 - The UFC will continue its European expansion next month when the promotion makes its debut in Stockholm, Sweden for UFC on FUEL TV 2.
And according to UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta, the organization hopes to debut in a few more European countries by the end of next year.
"I think Italy will be next," Fertitta said. "Me and Lawrence [Epstein, the UFC's general counsel] went out to Italy and met with the owners. There's really only one venue in Italy that makes sense for us. There's an arena right outside of Milan, it's owned by a family, and once again, they had these misconceptions about what this was. 'Oh my gosh, you're going to have these guys get in there and fight in a cage,' and all this other stuff. But we went out there, sat down with them, explained who we were, what our background was, safety, regulation, all those things. [We] invited them to the fight in Birmingham [for UFC 138], and they were blown away. They said, 'You guys are welcome any time you want.'
UFC's 'Rampage' Jackson: 'Shogun' rematch delayed to due to double-knee surgery
The recently announced rematch between Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (32-10 MMA, 7-4 UFC) and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (20-6 MMA, 4-4 UFC) apparently will have to wait.
Earlier this week, UFC officials announced that the fighters, who first met in PRIDE in 2005, would rematch sometime this summer.
But "Rampage" today said the fight is on hold because he has to undergo surgery on both knees.
"2 keep it real,the Shogun fight will have 2 wait,I just found out that I have 2 get surgery on both knees," Jackson tweeted. "But I heal fast don't trip."
UFC officials have no made formal announcement, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) could not immediately reach them for comment. Additionally, Jackson gave no timeframe for his recovery.
Bellator 61 headliner Eric Prindle scratches with flu-like symptoms, pushed to Bellator 62
Friday's Bellator 61 event has lost a headliner.
Heavyweight Eric Prindle (7-1 MMA, 3-0 BFC) is suffering "flu-like symptoms" from a heavy weight cut is unable to compete in tomorrow's main event with with Thiago Santos (10-1 MMA, 2-0 BFC), sources close to the event today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
MMAjunkie.com reached Alvin Topham, the chairman of Louisiana Boxing & Wrestling Commission, who said he was en route to today's weigh-ins and will make an official decision with Bellator officials once there.
However, Bellator CEO today told our sister site, USAToday.com, the fight is canceled and will be pushed back a week to Bellator 62. A middleweight-tournament bout between Maiquel "Big Rig" Falcao and Norman Paraisy has taken the headlining spot for Bellator 61.
Former UFC Fighters line the inaugural WMMA Fight Card
As Mixed Martial Arts continues to grow and expand its reach, new promotions bring thirsty fans more and more MMA action. Worldwide Mixed Martial Arts is one of those new promotions and they will be holding their inaugural event on Saturday, March 31st at the Don Haskins Center, El Paso, Texas. The event will feature several former UFC fighters and proceeds from the event will go to the Wounded Warriors foundation.
WMMA: McCorkle vs. Heden: Fighting For A Better World Complete Fight Card
Super Heavyweight: Sean McCorkle vs. Brian Heden
170 lbs.: Thomas Denny vs. Karo Parisyan
170 lbs.: Lyle Beerbohm vs. Derrick Noble
155 lbs.: Drew Fickett vs. Kevin Knabjian
170 lbs.: Jamaine Facey vs. Willie Parks
205 lbs.: Rodney Wallace vs. Derrick Mehmen
265 lbs.: Darrill Schoonover vs. Paul Buentello
145 lbs.: Frank Gomez vs. Chris Gruetzemacher
265 lbs.: Deutsch Pu’u vs. Esteves Jones
185 lbs.: Lionel Lanham vs. Brad Peterson
Jorge Masvidal on Gilbert Melendez rematch: 'I been robbed more than your local 7-11'
Jorge Masvidal is coming off a loss to Gilbert Melendez in a fight where the scorecards did not tell the entire story. The Cuban-American did plenty of damage to the reigning Strikeforce Lightweight Champion and the fight was competitive for all five rounds. but he couldn't quite do enough to win more than one of them.
The outcome could have been different had Masvidal not fought with a broken hand, an injury he exacerbated in the opening round, forcing him to stick to a jab-dependent offense for much of the remainder of the fight. There is no shame in losing to a top five lightweight like Melendez and the fact that Masvidal was even headlining a Strikeforce card shows how far his career has come.
He started out a long way from arenas complete with television crews and large crowds. His first taste of fighting was in backyards in Miami where famously he took on one of Kimbo Slice's protegees in a video which is still available on YouTube.
Masvidal says he much prefers fighting on sanctioned shows and is not sure how much his street fighting experience has helped him as a fighter.
'I don't know if it helped develop me as a fighter but it definitely makes you wanna win. It's nice to fight people your own weight and get paid good though. You mighta seen my street fights on youtube, it just went from there. I just like to fight, if i can get paid for it and make a living then that's good."
Jadamba to defend lightweight title in Hong Kong at Legend FC 8
Hong Kong, March 15, 2012 (Thursday) — Legend Fighting Championship returns to Hong Kong for City of Dreams exclusively presents LEGEND 8, with Mongolian Jadamba making his first Legend lightweight title defense against challenger Nam Yui Chul of South Korea at the AsiaWorld-Expo on March 30.
Jadamba (1-0 Legend, 7-2 overall), who is ranked as one of the top 20 lightweight fighters in the world, won the Legend lightweight title with a split decision victory over Australia’s Adrian Pang at LEGEND 6 in October 2011 at the City of Dreams, Macau. In his first title defense, he will match his precision striking against Legend veteran and fan favorite Nam (1-1-1 Legend, 13-3-1 overall), the former Spirit MC welterweight champion who now fights as a lightweight.
AFC 2 Murilo Bustamante and Dave Menne clash in UFC 35 rematch
Two former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) combatants will face off once again in a rematch 10 years in the making as ex-middleweight champions Murilo Bustamante (14-8-1) and Dave Menne (45-16-2) collide after first going to war way back at UFC 35: "Throwdown" in January of 2002.
Bustamante stopped Menne by way of technical knockout in their first encounter.
The rematch is set for Amazon Forest Combat (AFC) 2, which goes down on March 31, 2012, LIVE from the Amadeu Teixeira Gymnasium in Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil.
John Alessio Admits To Past PED Usage, Against Them Now
In a surprising and refreshing move, an MMA fighter has been open and honest about his past performance-enhancing drug usage. John Alessio, a Canadian fighter that has competed all over the map and once challenged Pat Miletich for the UFC welterweight title, was a guest on Sherdog's Beatdown Radio and opened up about his usage in the past:
Dan Hardy Talks UFC 146, Proving He Belongs And Training With Lorenzo Fertitta At 'Secret Gym'
There comes a time in every fighter's life when they need to question their motivation for their chosen career path. For Dan Hardy, it wasn't quite as clear as he wanted it to be over the last 2 years. With 4 tough losses, camp changes, and management shake-ups, the drive and desire to compete was still missing a vital element, anger. Dan has stated in recent interviews that he's regained that element, and is reacquainting himself with that spark growing in him, as the clocks and calendars edge closer to his UFC 146 bout with Duane Ludwig. I recently spoke with Dan about the changes he's put in place to get his name back in the win column.