Bjorn Rebney on dispute over matching Eddie Alvarez's UFC offer: 'We didn't alter a word'
When Bjorn Rebney launched Bellator in 2008, Eddie Alvarez was his first big splash. Rebney gave the lightweight star a $100,000 signing bonus and made him a building block for the organization, and Alvarez took it from there, becoming a champion within it. The relationship between the two thrived to a point where the men built a friendship that transcended the employer-employee dynamic.
Within the last few days though, that bond has been at least partially fractured by a contract dispute that has led to dueling lawsuits and a cloudiness over Alvarez's future.
The issue shortly after Bellator waived its exclusive negotiating period, allowing Alvarez to take his talents to the open market. As expected, the UFC approached Alvarez about a deal that would bring his talents to its octagon, and Alvarez quickly signed an offer sheet. Under the terms of a clause in his Bellator contract, that promotion had a right to match the UFC offer, and that's where things get murky.
Yves Jabouin vs. Johnny Eduardo official for UFC 158
UFC 158 is shaping up nicely as more fights pour in for the Montreal, QC show set for March 16th. Today UFC Canada made the first bantamweight booking of this card official, as Yves Jabouin fights Johnny Eduardo.
Yves 'Tiger' Jabouin @TigerJabouin will be ready to pounce March 16th vs Johnny Eduardo @JohnnyEduardoN for a bantamweight bout at #UFC158
7 Jan 13 ReplyRetweetFavorite
Bellator sues 'betrayed' Eddie Alvarez, fight future in limbo pending lawsuit
When Eddie Alvarez fulfilled the final fight on his Bellator contract last October, he did so in impressive fashion by disposing of Patricky Freire in the very first round via knockout.
The performance only raised the lightweight's stock further, making him a very hot commodity Bellator clearly wanted to keep and one Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) obviously wanted on its roster. UFC president Dana White knew obtaining the talents of the former 155-pound champion wouldn't be easy. As a matter of fact, the brash head honcho of the world's leading mixed martial arts (MMA) organization hinted last week that it would get downright "ugly."
Apparently, White was on to something.
After Zuffa finally made an official contract offer to "The Silent Assassin," Bellator proceeded to match it, leaving the next move up the Lorenzo Fertitta and White, which has yet to be made.
UFC 2012 Stats: AKA as most successful camp in 2012
The guys over at StudioMMA.com and MMAnytt.se have collaborated to put together this awesome infographic of UFC 2012 stats. No wonder they topped our top 10 fight camps of 2012. Also of note, the fast paced, Alpha Male team topped the most finishes portion with 67%. Who says the small guys aren’t exciting?
Knapp: "If you're truly a fan of mixed martial arts, you can't be gender biased"
"If you're truly a fan of mixed martial arts, you can't be gender biased," Invicta Fighting Championship president Shannon Knapp said in a recent telephone interview. "If MMA is about fighters competing in actual weight divisions and having competitive fights, that's what we have. If you don't like that, you're not a true fan of the sport. You can't be gender biased and be a true fan."
"(The UFC is) only going with one division. We've got an entire roster of fighters in five weight classes. Even with the one division where we overlap, I mean, look at it like this: look where Liz was in her career a year ago. She lost to Coenen and Kaufman back-to-back. Then she came here, she looked good in winning her fights, and she started to assert herself and market herself. I'm not going to take the credit for it because it's all on Liz, but she had the opportunity here and she took it. That's the sort of thing we can still help with."
Nick Diaz isn't returning Dana White's calls or texts
Since being signed in mid 2011, Nick Diaz has been a bit of a problem child for UFC president Dana White. After being granted an immediate title shot at UFC 137, Diaz blew off the first round of press conference. That absence lost him his title fight against Georges St. Pierre. When he got a chance at the interim title at UFC 144, he blew that opportunity too with a failed post-fight drug test.
UFC 155's Jamie Varner anticipates April return, four opponents on radar
Jamie Varner said Rafael Dos Anjos, Ross Pearson, Matt Wiman and T.J. Grant are among the fighters he's looking at for his next octagon appearance.
The former WEC champ anticipates an injured thumb will keep him from meeting one of them until April, but his only preference is that he moves closer to title contention.
"I think Dos Anjos is on a streak, so he may be on my radar more so than anyone else," Varner told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "But Grant, I've been hearing his name pop up a lot, as well."