'Cyborg' drug denial sticks to familiar script
The unknown persons responsible for encouraging Cristiane Santos to take steroids have been eliminated.
That’s her word: "eliminated."
This according to the former Strikeforce women’s featherweight champion herself in a video statement released this week, roughly 10 days before she’ll appeal a one-year suspension for a positive drug test after her Dec. 17 win over Hiroko Yamanaka at an event in San Diego.
As mea culpa videos go, this one is actually pretty good. A genuinely remorseful-sounding Cyborg acknowledges her mistake, says she knows it is her responsibility to monitor the supplements she takes during training and references the hit to her reputation in the wake of the positive test.
Her words are obviously scripted, but don’t come off overly rehearsed. She doesn’t read from a prepared statement; at least, not one we can see. In any case, she speaks for a little less than three minutes and since it’s all in Portuguese with English subtitles, it ultimately might be difficult for non-speakers of that language to gauge her sincerity.
Dos Santos is doing it the Chuck Liddell way - White
UFC president Dana White has likened Junior Dos Santos to Chuck Liddell, but has questioned whether the Brazilian has the necessary variety to cope with world class kickboxer Alistair Overeem at UFC 146.
Dos Santos is preparing for the first defence of his UFC heavyweight crown, having knocked out Cain Velasquez in 64 seconds to take the belt. The Brazilian's hands are the best in his weight class, but Overeem should hold the edge when it comes to other facets of striking, such as kicks and knees.
Liddell was arguably the most devastating light-heavyweight the UFC has seen and White sees plenty of parallels with Dos Santos, which could spell bad news for Overeem, who was knocked out by Liddell back in 2003.
"For me, the question is how is Dos Santos going to deal with the kicks and the knees and the elbows?" White was quoted as saying by MMAWeekly.
I would trade punches with Diaz - Hardy
Dan Hardy admits he would love the chance to fight Nick Diaz if the welterweight decides to come out of retirement.
Diaz quit the UFC in sensational fashion last month after losing a unanimous decision to Carlos Condit, but subsequently tested positive for marijuana.
Despite Nate Diaz claiming his brother remains set on retirement, Diaz has remained in training and his trainer Cesar Gracie believes the former Strikeforce champion will return.
And Hardy, who is looking to snap a four-fight losing streak when he takes on Duane Ludwig at UFC 146 in May, says he would be happy to welcome Diaz back to the Octagon.
Former UFC Champ Brock Lesnar Back to WWE?
It appears that it hasn’t taken former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar to find a new job.
Rumors constantly swirled around Lesnar about a return to his professional wrestling gig with WWE even while he was actively competing in the UFC. The rumors increased following his retirement after losing to Alistair Overeem at the promotion’s 2011 year-end event, UFC 141.
Those rumors have risen to a fever pitch with Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer now reporting, although he doesn’t have confirmation, that Lesnar is believed to have signed a one-year deal with WWE and “will work a more than Undertaker and less than Goldberg type of schedule” upon his return.
Weekend winners include 50-year-old Smith, Yvel, Kawajiri, Bustamante, Leites, Parisyan
Despite another weekend without a UFC event, the regional scene was in full effect with five major shows.
They included Resurrection Fighting Alliance 2 in Nebraska, OneFC 3 in Singapore, LFC 8 in China, Amazon Forest Combat 2 in Brazil, and WMMA 1 in Texas.
Victors included 50-year-old ex-UFC champ Maurice Smith, Gilbert Yvel, Tara LaRosa, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Lyle Beerbohm, Murilo Bustamante, Thales Leites, Karo Parisyan and others.
No more three-minute commercial breaks on 'TUF: Live,' White says
As UFC president Dana White has often said, live television ain't easy.
The latest reminder came on Friday's new edition of "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" on FX, when what should have been a one-minute break between rounds turned into three.
Welcome to the never-ending headaches of live television, White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
"We were on a network commercial break," White told MMAjunkie.com immediately following the bout, which aired live on FX from the UFC Training Center in Las Vegas. "You can't break a network-commercial break. We need to fix that. This is a live sporting event, and we need to be on our toes knowing that we can go to another round. We have a 60-second commercial, and you come right back to the fight. That was bad."
M-1 / ONE FC cross promotion headlined by Fedor Emelianenko set for Singapore in October?
M-1's Director of Operations Evgeni Kogan attended last night's (March 31, 2012) ONE FC show as a special guest of CEO / Owner Victor Cui, fueling rumors that a cross promotion between the two organizations headlined by Fedor Emelianenko might be in the works.
When Emelianenko was at the height of his success and negotiations were underway with the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), the biggest issue was M-1's insistence that any deal should involve a cross promotion, something that Dana White and company were totally unwilling to countenance.
This is where ONE FC and the UFC differ. Whereas the UFC refuses to work with other mixed martial arts (MMA) organizations, ONE FC has embraced the concept of cross promotion and has even formed a network to allow fighters to move freely between Dream, Deep, Road FC, URCC, CFC (in Australia) and various others.
Nevada amends complaint against Nick Diaz, shifts strategy
BEFORE THE NEVADA STATE ATHLETIC COMMISSION
FIRST AMENDED COMPLAINT FOR DISCIPLINARY ACTION AND NOTICE OF HEARING
KEITH KIZER, Executive Director for the ATHLETIC COMMISSION of the DEPARTMENT OF BUSINESS AND INDUSTRY, STATE OF NEVADA, complains for disciplinary action against NICK DIAZ (DIAZ), as follows:
Bellator, Super Fight League Both Voice Interest in New Free Agent 'King' Mo Lawal
When Muhammed Lawal was cut by Strikeforce this week following a nine-month suspension, his future was thrown into disarray. For now, Lawal is still on the mend from recent knee surgery, but he may not have to wait long to find a new home.
At least two promotions have stated their interest in the former Strikeforce light-heavyweight champion. In separate interviews with MMA Fighting, both Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney and Super Fight League CEO Ken Pavia confirmed that they would likely reach out to Lawal in the near future to assess the possibility of pursuing him as a free agent for their respective organizations.
With five fights left on contract, UFC 148's Cung Le taking it one bout at a time
If you haven't yet noticed, Cung Le has other things he can do.
No fewer than three movies featuring Le are scheduled for release this year. In one of them, "The Man with the Iron Fists," he co-stars with Hollywood heavyweights Russell Crowe and Lucy Liu.
Le is 39 years old and has been fighting in one way or another since his tweens. He has another way to make a living in which it's far less likely he'll have his nose rearranged, as it was in his most recent fight.
Why keep doing it?
Why not? That's probably a better question, if you ask Le (7-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC). Four months after his octagon debut went awry against Wanderlei Silva at UFC 139, he's on target to meet former middleweight champ Rich Franklin (28-6 MMA, 13-5 UFC) at UFC 148, which takes place July 7 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Le vs. Franklin serves on the pay-per-view main card while preliminary-card bouts air on FX.
Jake Shields Not Set on Move Back to 185, but Feels Stronger There
In 2009, with limited options at welterweight and a teammate competing in the same division, Jake Shields decided to try his hand at what it was like to fight at middleweight.
For his first trip to the division, Shields faced knockout artist Robbie Lawler, and while many questioned the lifetime 170-ound fighter moving up in weight, it took him just over two minutes to prove critics wrong.
Shields submitted Lawler and then went on to win a five-round decision over Jason “Mayhem” Miller. He then scored his biggest win at 185 pounds as he took out former Pride champion Dan Henderson in dominating fashion, as well.
It was then that Shields signed with the UFC and moved back down to his natural weight of 170 pounds, but the results have been somewhat mixed since then. Shields has gone 2-2 in the UFC, although his losses have come to UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and top contender Jake Ellenberger, but the San Francisco area fighter admits the differences in the weight classes have shown through lately.
Bellator 63 results: Amoussou, Baker, Rickels, Saunders advance to welterweight semis
Karl Amoussou wanted to make a statement and did just that in the opening-round of Bellator's season-six welterweight tournament.
The Frenchman sliced through season-five tournament vet Chris Lozano, cinching a first-round submission to advance to the semifinals.
Amoussou joined Bryan Baker, David Rickels and Ben Saunders in the winner's circle on Friday at Bellator 62, which took place at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn., and aired live on MTV2.
Amoussou had riled Lozano up prior to the fight by promising to make the Bellator vet his punching bag, and the two nearly clashed in the staredown prior to the opening bell.
But when the bout got underway, it was Lozano who circled cautiously, and the audience quickly voiced its displeasure.
After an extended feeling-out period, Amoussou drew blood with a high kick that slammed into Lozano's head. Lozano caught it and took the fight to the mat, but he was quickly reversed and flattened out.
Amoussou (14-4-2 MMA, 2-1 BFC) secured a rear-naked choke, and in a flash, the fight was over at the 2:05 mark of the first...
Report: Erick Silva Vs. Charlie Brenneman Planned For UFC On FX 3
One of Brazil's hottest young prospects will return to UFC action this June, as Erick Silva has agreed to face Charlie Brenneman in a welterweight bout at UFC on FX 3 according to a report from Globo SporTV:
The UFC has not yet announced it officially, but the next opponent for Erick Silva is already defined. SPORTV.COM has been informed by sources close to the organization that he will face the American Charlie Brenneman, on a June 8th event in the United States - the city has not yet been chosen. The expectation of Erick was to fight again in Brazil at UFC 147, but he himself has announced via Twitter that he will fight on the American event.
China on the UFC schedule in 2012
MMA Weekly reports that the UFC will make it to China in 2012. Dana White indicated that the UFC is closing a deal with the Venetian Macau to hold the event.
The UFC opened offices in Asia in August 2010 and the UFC would like to make inroads into China. It had placed hopes with UFC fighter Zhang Tiequan in hoping that his success would equate to a following in China. Despite Zhang’s defeats in the Octagon he has picked up many fans of the sport. The support for Zhang can be exemplified by the fact that he picked up 100,000 followers to his Weibo (equivalent to Twitter) account after his UFC debut in Australia in 2011. The UFC hopes that there would be a sufficient level of MMA fighters from the country that it could feature on a card in China. The company sees that a market will develop faster if there is local talent to display. It used this strategy in 2002 with the UFC’s first trip to the United Kingdom.
The expansion of the product into Asia is a logical move despite hurdles it must overcome. Lorenzo Fertitta noted two reasons expansion makes sense.
Mayhem Miller: If I Lose To C.B. Dollaway At UFC 146, 'I'm Quitting'
UFC middleweight Jason"Mayhem" Miller faces C.B. Dollaway at UFC 146 on May 26 in Las Vegas. He's coming off a very one-sided defeat at the hands of Michael Bisping at The Ultimate Fighter 14 Finale in December. Dana White called that performance one of the worst he'd seen.
Miller's heard the critics and he's not happy either. The 31-year-old Miller was a guest on Spike TV's MMA Uncensored last night and had the following to say (transcription via MMA Mania):
"I'm on my own chopping block. If I lose to him, I'm quitting! I don't even deserve to be in there! There's not an easy fight. In the UFC, there's no easy fight. He doesn't deserve to be in there with me, and I'll prove it. I'll prove it in under a round, because, we see...I tend to get tired in the second round (laughs). We're both in a similar spot in our career I guess. We're both on the chopping block. That's fine. I'm really happy with that."
Frank Mir, The Constant Heavyweight Contender
Frank Mir seems to always be just one win away from a title shot. The constant contender has fought in four UFC championship bouts, and if he gets past Cain Velasquez at UFC 146, he’ll be fighting for a UFC championship belt for a fifth time.
He’s seen the highest of highs and the lowest of lows during his career to this point. He rose to the top of the heavyweight division at a young age. He debuted in the organization at just 22 years old. By the time he was 25, he was UFC heavyweight champion.
Before he could defend that title, Mir was involved in a motorcycle accident suffering a broken femur. Many questioned if he’d ever get back to where he once was in the sport. And his comeback performances following the injury fueled the doubters’ belief that Mir would never be the same...
Bellator Fighting Championships signs Brazilian heavyweight Vinicius Queiroz
Brazilian giant Vinicius Queiroz (5-2 MMA, 0-0 BFC) is the latest addition to the Bellator Fighting Championships roster.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has confirmed with sources close to the promotion that "Spartan" has agreed to a deal with the promotion and could make his Bellator debut in an upcoming season-six event.
A member of Brazil's famed Chute Boxe academy, Queiroz hasn't fought since a UFC 120 loss to Rob Broughton in October 2010.
The 6-foot-7 Queiroz has never fought in the U.S. He competed six times in his native Brazil before signing with the UFC in 2010. He then competed at UFC 120, which took place in London, where he was dominating Broughton before ultimately slowing in the final frame and succumbing to a come-from-behind submission.
Following the loss, Queiroz tested positive for the banned substance Stanozolol and was released by the promotion...
Melvin Guillard meets Fabricio 'Morango' Camoes at UFC 148 in Las Vegas
After back-to-back losses, veteran UFC lightweight Melvin Guillard (29-10-2 MMA, 10-6 UFC) will look to right the ship against Fabricio "Morango" Camoes (14-6-1 MMA, 3-1-1 UFC) at UFC 148.
Officials recently announced the fight.
UFC 148 takes place July 7 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz headlines the event opposite fellow "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" coach Urijah Faber.
UFC 148's main card airs on pay-per-view, and FX carries the prelims.
Guillard vs. Camoes likely will be part of the prelims.
Champ Cole Konrad vs. Eric Prindle added to Bellator 65
Bellator officials wasted little time in booking a title fight between heavyweight champion Cole Konrad (8-0 MMA, 6-0 BFC) and de facto tournament winner Eric Prindle (7-1 MMA, 3-0 BFC).
That bout will take place place April 13 at Bellator 65 in New Jersey, Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney announced Thursday on "MMA Uncensored Live" on Spike TV.
The booking comes after two scheduled rematches between season-five tournament finalists Prindle and Thiago Santos were scrapped in recent weeks.
Bellator 65 takes place at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City. The main card airs on MTV2, and the prelims stream on Spike.com. Konrad vs. Prindle will be part of the televised lineup.