Shane Carwin's Post-UFC 131 Blog - 'I Can't Recall Much of the Fight'
While Shane Carwin wasn't able to come out on top at UFC 131, he answered a lot of questions people had about him. No matter how you view Shane as a fighter, it's pretty obvious he has a ton of heart. He took to his blog last night, and spoke with respect and admiration for Junior dos Santos. What's a bit troubling is that he says multiple times that he doesn't remember much of the fight. He starts with the first round:
As the fight started I just did not feel like myself, I wasn’t able to get my feet moving and Junior capitalized quickly. As he was pummeling me I kept trying to find a way to defend myself so Herb would not stop the fight. Junior was landing solid shots and that is where probably he broke my nose.
UFC 134: Anderson Silva motivated to defend Brazil against Yushin Okami on Aug. 27
This is usually the issue when dealing with a fight genius like Anderson Silva. He's so far ahead of the rest of the class, he often gets himself in trouble for acting out.
Like the way he toyed with Patrick Cote before "The Predator" blew his knee out at UFC 90. Or how he laughed at Thales Leites and his feeble attempts at taking their fight to the floor at UFC 97.
The worst of it was his shuck and jive routine against Demian Maia at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi. This performance was so embarrassing to Octagon boss Dana White, he literally threw the belt at Silva's manager, Ed Soares, and told him in so many words, "You f*cking put the belt on him."
With UFC bringing in flyweights, will Tachi Palace suffer? Luchau doesn't think so
A unique selling point of Tachi Palace Fights in recent years has been its flyweight division.
The California-based promotion has recruited talent aggressively and built a roster that includes several of the world's top-ranked 125-pound fighters.
With recent news that the UFC is soon to add the sport's lightest class to its roster, you'd think Tachi would be bracing itself for a exodus of talent, and naturally not be too happy about it.
Following UFC 131 loss, Shane Carwin has broken nose, possible orbital fracture
Following a UFC 131 main-event loss to Junior Dos Santos, Shane Carwin was unavailable to the media in the post-fight press conference and instead was ushered to the hospital.
Carwin, who was badly bloodied in the first round of Saturday's fight, ultimately survived the onslaught and settled for a unanimous-decision loss.
In a blog post, Carwin discussed the fight while confirming a suspected broken nose and a possible orbital fracture.
Strikeforce odds: Josh Barnett vs Brett Rogers
Most of the Monday morning black belts are still talking about the heavyweight action that took place at UFC 131 last Saturday night in Vancouver. Well fellow Maniacs, I'm here with a "Grim" reminder that another batch of 265-pounders are set to do battle this weekend in Dallas.
The second leg of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix Tournament will get underway on June 18 from the American Airlines Center and will include a titanic tilt between former PRIDE star Josh Barnett taking on the heavy-handed Brett Rogers.
Barnett's experience and grappling credentials have made him the odds-on favorite at -340.
NY - Stop Fighting This Sport! - by Dana White
N.Y., stop fighting this sport: Mixed martial arts is safe -- and our economy needs the kick
By Dana White
If you've paid any attention to mixed martial arts over the past decade, you know the sport has exploded. It has the highest pay-per-view numbers of any sporting event, is broadcast on numerous cable, satellite and network television stations, enjoys mainstream sponsorships and has a large and diverse fan base. It is sanctioned in 45 of 48 U.S. states that have athletic commissions and across Canada and Australia.
Unfortunately, MMA fans in New York are forced to enjoy the sport from afar. Here in New York, MMA is totally banned.
It's long past time to overturn that prohibition. It's a safe and respectable sport that's every bit as legitimate as boxing or professional football.
I won't pretend to be objective. I run the Ultimate Fighting Championship, the single most popular MMA promotion company. While I think that our fans here in New York and the city would profit immensely from legalization, it will also certainly affect my bottom line.
Sudden Death Round to Settle Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix Draws
The Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix will resume Saturday night in Dallas with a new rule in place: a sudden death round to settle a draw.
When the GP was first announced in January, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said that a draw would be settled by an independent fourth judge who would "determine who advances or who wins based on the fighter's overall performance in the fight."
However, Marc Ratner, Zuffa's vice president of regulatory affairs, informed MMA Fighting on Sunday that Zuffa, the new parent company of the Strikeforce, has decided that all tournament fights ending in a draw will now be settled by a fourth sudden death round. There will not be a fourth judge assigned to the tournament fights anymore.
The Big Payback: Alistair Overeem Predicts a Much Different Fight With Werdum This Time
Alistair Overeem still remembers his 2006 loss to Fabricio Werdum, but he says when they meet again in Strikeforce, everyone can expect a much different outcome.
If you go back and watch the first fight between Alistair Overeem and Fabricio Werdum from Pride: Total Elimination in 2006, there are quite a few glaring differences from what you might see when the two heavyweights meet in a rematch this weekend in Strikeforce.
Dana White: Despite NHL competition, "I wouldn't change" a thing about UFC 131
If the UFC is to measure itself against Vancouver hockey, it might as well compare itself to water, food or air.
Hockey, UFC president Dana White said, is "like a religion" in Vancouver. So it's no surprise this past weekend's UFC 131 event may have been a bit overshadowed by the Canucks and the NHL Stanley Cup Finals.
White, though, said if he had to do it all over again, he wouldn't change a thing about UFC 131 and the company's trip to Vancouver.
Junior dos Santos Installed as Early Favorite Against UFC Champ Cain Velasquez
Junior dos Santos had not even gotten back to his locker room by the time fans and media everywhere were deep in thought about his future UFC heavyweight championship bout with Cain Velasquez.
Another party quite interested: gamblers.
According to noted MMA linesmaker Nick Kalikas, dos Santos is a slight edge in the possible fall matchup.
Just moments after UFC 131 ended, Kalikas installed dos Santos as a -125 favorite, giving him a very slight edge over the champion, who was listed at -105.
Man I wish I had some money to throw down on Velasquez. I know he'll be going into the fight with a big layoff, but I have Cain winning.
Dana White Clarifies 5 Round Non-Title Fight Scenarios; Addresses Mayhem vs. Bisping Fight
Starting soon every main event in the UFC will be a 5 round fight regardless of whether a title is on the line or not.
There are still a few rules around the new policy that could affect fighters.
According to UFC President Dana White if a main event fighter is injured and someone steps up to take their place, they will be expected to fight a 5 round fight even if it is on short notice. That isn’t much different than someone stepping to accept a title bout on short notice, but it also applies to the new non-title fights as well.
Following Trash Talking Kids project, Stephan Bonnar has beef with Josh Koscheck
VANCOUVER, British Columbia – Simply put, UFC fan favorite Stephan Bonnar does not like fellow "The Ultimate Fighter 1" cast member Josh Koscheck.
Or, as Bonnar put it a little more eloquently, the light heavyweight dreams of kicking the welterweight contender's ass.
"Words cannot describe how bad I want to kick Josh Koscheck's ass right now," Bonnar said at this weekend's UFC Fight Club Q&A session. "Sometimes I can't sleep at night because I'm up just thinking about all the things I want to do to him – and kick his ass."
UFC Quick Quote: Donald Cerrone wants to fight Sam Stout after UFC 131 win
Donald Cerrone talks to Ariel Helwani after his impressive showing at the UFC 131: "Dos Santos vs. Carwin" event last night (June 11, 2011) in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and calls out Sam Stout, who was also in action on the card.
"Cowboy" cruised past late replacement and Octagon debutant Vagner Rocha, while "Hands of Stone" knocked out journeyman Yves Edwards with a left hand so devastating that Dana White referred to it as "one of the most vicious knockouts in UFC history."
UFC 131's Mark Munoz: "I proved I am in that top echelon" at middleweight
UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva goes for his 10th consecutive title defense when he meets Yushin Okami at UFC 134 in August.
After that? Well, your guess is as good as anyone else's.
But following an impressive victory over Demian Maia (14-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC) at Saturday's UFC 131 event, Mark Munoz (11-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) believes he proved he should be in the title discussion.
UFC 131: Cain Velasquez reacts to Junior dos Santos vs Shane Carwin fight result
UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez has been in a state of purgatory for some time now.
Not only has he been unable to train, thanks to a shoulder injury and subsequent surgery, but it's also been unclear who the next challenger to his title will be.
That came to an end last night (June 11, 2011) in the main event of UFC 131, as Junior dos Santos emphatically put a stamp on his status as the top contender in the division by overwhelming Shane Carwin en route to a clear unanimous decision win.