Nate Diaz vs. Josh Thomson added to April's UFC on FOX 7 event
Seven years after he left, Josh Thomson (19-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC) is returning to the octagon.
UFC officials today announced the ex-Strikeforce lightweight champ will fight Nate Diaz (16-8 MMA, 7-6 UFC) at UFC on FOX 7, which takes place April 20 at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.
It's not yet known whether the bout will be broadcast on the event's FOX-televised main card or on the preliminary-card, which serves on FX and Facebook...
Signal to Noise: UFC on FOX 6's best and worst
In Chicago, Illinois on Saturday evening, the mixed martial arts world enjoyed the very first flyweight main event at a UFC on FOX show, a rising lightweight contender showed off his incredible striking, another commission judged botched another decision and so much more.
Let's separate the best from the worst from UFC on FOX 6, the winners from the losers and the signal from the noise...
Frankie Edgar Warns Ahead of UFC 156 “Don’t Mistake My Kindness for Weakness”
There is a commercial currently running on networks all over the world previewing UFC 156 that brilliantly denotes champion Jose Aldo’s seeming invincibility followed by challenger Frankie Edgar saying, “I’ve heard this story before.”
The UFC’s marketing team knows their fighter well because, despite spending nearly two years as the promotion’s lightweight champion, Edgar never knew life as a betting favorite.
Dana White calls Anderson Silva's camp call-out of Cung Le 'typical craziness'
Late last week, Ed Soares, the manager of UFC Middleweight champion Anderson Silva, got a rise out of the MMA community by bringing up San Shou stylist Cung Le as a possible next contender. Le is on a two-fight win streak with a decision over Patrick Cote and a knockout of Rich Franklin. Certainly that record is respectable, but no one but Soares would call it contender-worthy.
Amir Sadollah vs. Stephen Thompson scheduled for Memorial Day weekend UFC event
Lost in all of the UFC on FOX 6 coverage was the announcement of a new welterweight fight scheduled for May 25th. "Wonderboy" Stephen Thompson aims to rebound from his first pro MMA loss against Amir Sadollah. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani has the details:
Sources told MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani on Friday that Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson will face Amir Sadollah in a welterweight battle on Sat., May 25. While a venue for the unnamed event has yet to be determined, the UFC traditionally holds Memorial Day weekend cards in Las Vegas.
The greenest grass grows everywhere but under 'Rampage' Jackson's own feet
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson might not have given us everything we wanted in his farewell UFC fight, but he did give us all that we had a right to expect.
He came, he saw, he took his beating bravely. He went down but refused to stay put. He threw murderous hooks and uppercuts that sliced through the air, finding nothing. He looked at times like he might have wanted to quit, but he never did. Only in brief spasms did he resemble a fighter the UFC might be willing to shell out the big bucks in order to retain. At no point did he seem particularly bothered by that fact...
Dana White believes UFC's first trip to Russia could happen in 2013
The UFC's globetrotting ways are expected to continue in 2013, really to no one's surprise.
And the calendar year could feature the promotion heading to a new market that has produced one of the most highly regarded fighters in history.
UFC President Dana White believes the company will make its way to Russia sometime in 2013 for its first live event there...
Sponsor Says Breached Agreement, Not Rick Hawn’s Performance, Prompted Stop Payment
HTFU founder Mark Gingrich found himself in a difficult spot this past Tuesday.
Gingrich, who launched his lifestyle apparel brand in 2009, recently told Sherdog.com that he received a multitude of verbal and physical threats after news broke on Tuesday that he had put a stop payment on a sponsorship check issued to Rick Hawn for his appearance at Bellator 85.
Hawn, who challenged Michael Chandler for Bellator’s lightweight strap in the Jan. 17 main event on Spike TV, announced the development via Twitter on Monday night, though he did not specifically name HTFU in his post. Nevertheless, Gingrich says that his office and website were bombarded the following day by phone calls and emails.
“I’ve been threatened. My girlfriend has been threatened. People who work for the company have been threatened. [Some were] death threats. I lost an employee because of this. I have never seen anything like this in my entire life,” Gingrich recently told Sherdog.com “I would have happily paid $10,000 for that not to have happened -- for my girlfriend and for my employees to not have had to go through that. At the end of the day, I’m pretty disgusted at how [those individuals in the] MMA community conducted themselves.”