UFC's Marc Ratner says bonuses won't be paid out until return of drug tests
The UFC still is considering more changes to its existing policies regarding drug testing, but in advance of UFC on FX 7, the promotion has instituted two new rules to act as deterrents.
All fighters who compete on international events will be tested for performance-enhancing drugs, UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Additionally, the promotion won't pay out fight-night bonuses until drug testing results are available, Ratner said.
Currently, the UFC offers cash incentives for "Knockout of the Night," "Submission of the Night" and "Fight of the Night." Typically, they are handed out after the event and announced by UFC President Dana White.
The changes will be in place this weekend when UFC on FX 7 goes down at Ibirapuera Gymnasium in Sao Paulo, Brazil. The event's main-card airs on FX following prelims on FUEL TV and Facebook.
Luke Rockhold wants to fight Costa Philippou at UFC on FOX 7
Luke Rockhold watches Strikeforce's biggest names receive their UFC debut fights and wonders when his number will be called.
The last Strikeforce middleweight champion told MMAFighting.com recently that he has yet to receive his marching orders from the UFC but is back to training after suffering a wrist injury and ready to make his Octagon debut.
In fact, Rockhold has a candidate in mind for his first UFC fight.
"I think Costa Philippou makes the most sense right now," he said. "He's coming off a win, and I think he's a good opponent. Let's get it on at [UFC on FOX 7]."
FAO UK Fans - ESPN TO SHOW THE NEW SERIES OF THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER
The series will kick off with a two hour special airing on Tuesday 22nd January at 1am on ESPN
London, UK – ESPN is set to air the 17th series of the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s long-running reality show: The Ultimate Fighter. The highly anticipated series will be headed up by UFC Champion Jon “Bones” Jones and Chael Sonnen, who will lead two teams of seven Middleweights in the hope of winning a coveted contract with the UFC.
Ortiz: 'Going to be tough,' but Santos might make UFC's 135-pound limit
With his own fighting career over, UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz is instead focused on his management career and first client, who could soon be heading to the UFC's 135-pound women's division.
Ortiz recently signed embattled ex-Strikeforce featherweight champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos (10-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC), who recently served a one-year suspension due to a failed drug test for an anabolic steroid.
However, while the former 145-pound champion initially dismissed the idea of getting down to 135 pounds for a potential superfight with newly crowned UFC champ Ronda Rousey (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC), Ortiz breathed some new life into the possibility – but there are conditions...
UFC announces list of Strikeforce fighters added to its roster (so far)
The confirmed list of Strikeforce fighters signed to UFC (so far) courtesy of UFC Tonight on FUEL TV:
Daniel Cormier (11-0)
Gegard Mousasi (33-3-2)
Gian Villante (10-3)
Roger Gracie (6-1)
Tim Kennedy (15-4)
Lorenz Larkin (13-0)
Luke Rockhold (10-1)
Ronaldo Souza (17-3)
Roger Bowling (11-3)
Jason High (16-3)
Nate Marquardt (32-11-2)
Tarec Saffiedine (14-3)
Bobby Voelker (24-8)
Ryan Couture (6-1)
Pat Healy (29-16)
Kurt Holobaugh (8-1)
Adriano Martins (24-6)
Gilbert Melendez (21-2)
K.J. Noons (11-6)
Josh Thomson (19-5)
Number Of Strikeforce Fighters Headed For The UFC
A number of fighters were mentioned during Tuesday night's episode of UFC Tonight as signing UFC contracts from Strikeforce. The promotion folded after its last show this past Saturday night.
Strikefore middleweight champion Luke Rockhold and Gegard Mousasi were among those mentioned, along with Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza, Tim Kennedy, Roger Gracie and Lorenz Larkin from the 185- and 205-pound divisions.
Tarec Saffiedine, who captured the Strikeforce welterweight title from Nate Marquardt, is headed to the UFC, along with Roger Bowling, Jason High and Bobby Voelker. At lightweight, Josh Thomson will join Gilbert Melendez inside the Octagon.
Lightweights K.J. Noons, Pat Healy and Adriano Martins have moved over, along with Ryan Couture, the son of UFC Hall of Famer Randy. They will become the first father-son duo to compete for the UFC.
Kurt Holobaugh, who debuted in Strikeforce at lightweight and lost to Healy, has signed with the UFC and will enter the featherweight ranks.
Free agent Josh Barnett: The right deal is needed to make me exclusive to the UFC
Entering into a free-agency period before his next contract, Josh Barnett wants to mix fighting with other pursuits.
"It would take the right kind of deal to get me to be locked into some place entirely and exclusively," he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
While battling the flu, Barnett (32-6 MMA, 3-1 SF) closed out a two-fight deal with a first-round submission over Nandor Guelmino (11-4 MMA, 0-1 SF) at "Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine" this past Saturday.
Already better a day later, he said it feels good to be "a healthy guy able to fight wherever he wants."