Famed Former Chute Boxe Coach Rafael Cordeiro Back with Wanderlei Silva
Master Rafael Cordeiro once lead one of the strongest contingents of Brazilian fighters in the world under the Chute Boxe banner in Brazil. Now operating his gym Kings MMA in California, Cordeiro is reuniting with some of the fighters that he once lead at Chute Boxe.
Notably, he has been working with former Pride champion Wanderlei Silva, preparing him for his UFC 132 fight on Saturday night against Chris Leben.
Cordeiro lead a magical time for Silva, along with the Rua brothers, Mauricio Shogun and Murilo Ninja, and numerous other fighters when they ruled the roost at Pride in Japan. Perhaps some of that magic is back as Cordeiro had Silva training alongside Shogun once again, as well as Fabricio Werdum and many other top tier fighters.
UFC 132 Weigh Ins
Weigh-ins for UFC 132: Cruz vs. Faber 2 will take place at 7 p.m. ET live from the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. Bloody Elbow will have live results and video after the jump.
Dominick Cruz makes his first defense of his UFC bantamweight belt against former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber. In the co-main event, Wanderlei Silva makes his long awaited return to fight TUF vanguard Chris Leben.
Bantamweight: Dominick Cruz (134) vs. Urijah Faber (135)
Middleweight: Wanderlei Silva (186) vs. Chris Leben (185)
Light Heavyweight: Tito Ortiz (205) vs. Ryan Bader (205)
Welterweight: Carlos Condit (170) vs. Dong Hyun Kim (171)
Lightweight: Dennis Siver (156) vs. Matt Wiman (156)
Spike TV Prelims
Lightweight: Melvin Guillard (155) vs. Shane Roller (155)
Lightweight: George Sotiropoulos (156) vs. Rafael dos Anjos (155)
Bantamweight: Brian Bowles (135) vs. Takeya Mizugaki (136)
Middleweight: Brad Tavares (186) vs. Aaron Simpson (185)
Lightweight: Anthony Njokuani (156) vs. Andre Winner (155)
Bantamweight: Jeff Hougland (135) vs. Donny Walker (135)
UFC to host event in Japan "this year"
LAS VEGAS – The UFC could make its long-awaited return to Japan this year.
UFC president Dana White today said that plans are moving forward for for the organization to promote a show in the country, which hasn't hosted a UFC event since UFC 29 way back in 2000.
"The rumor is true," said White, who couldn't given any exact details on a date or host venue. "We're going to come to Japan, and probably soon."
Just how soon?
"This year," he said.
White and other officials have long teased the possibility of an upcoming show in Japan, where four pre-Zuffa LLC events took place in Tokyo (twice), Chiba and Yokohama more than a decade ago. Until the past few years, the UFC largely ignored the region.
However, in 2009, the UFC amped up its efforts in Asia, signed new TV and Internet deals in Japan, and began serious recruiting of Japanese talent.
Kenny Florian responds to the accusation that his 'Hellbows' could be illegal
Kenny Florian made his 145-pound debut at UFC 131: "Dos Santos vs. Carwin" back on June 11 at the Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
Also making its debut in "Hollywood North" were his patented "Hellbows," the razor-sharp elbow strikes that left a trail of leaky skulls throughout the lightweight division, most notably against Sean Sherk at UFC 64 and Joe Lauzon at UFC Fight Night 13.
Diego Nunes joined that prestigious list in a unanimous decision loss to "KenFlo" earlier this month, enduring (among other things) a few shots to the dome courtesy of some Bostonian elbow grease.
Strikeforce releases Heavyweight Brett Rogers following arrest
LAS VEGAS – Strikeforce has released heavyweight fighter Brett Rogers.
Dana White, president of sister promotion UFC, confirmed the contract termination today following a UFC 132 press conference.
Rogers was arrested on Wednesday and charged with felonious third-degree assault and misdemeanor endangerment of a child following an alleged altercation with his wife.
White said the release came immediately after the arrest, which took place in Apple Valley, Minn.
Brett Rogers Arrested And Jailed For Domestic Abuse
Strikeforce heavyweight star Brett "Grim" Rogers has been arrested and jailed in connection with assaulting his wife Wednesday in their South Metro home in Apple Valley, Minnesota.
According to reports, Rogers wife was strangled, punched repeatedly in the head and face, and also lost a tooth in the struggle.
Kimbo Slice to make pro-boxing debut Aug. 13
Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson will make his pro-boxing debut on Aug. 13, officials announced.
He'll headline a four-round main event at Buffalo Run Casino in Miami, Okla.
Neither an opponent nor broadcast details have not been announced for the show, which Gary Shaw Productions and Tony Holden Promotions is producing.
'Fear Factor' to return to NBC in fall 2011 with Joe Rogan as host
Way before he was the popular color commentator for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), Joe Rogan was a struggling stand up comedian and C-level actor on "NewsRadio."
His "big break" came in 2001, when he debuted as the host of "Fear Factor," a stunt-oriented reality show on NBC that challenged ordinary people, and couples, to accomplish extraordinary daredevil feats for average (by today's standards) sums on money.
On the side Rogan, a mixed martial arts (MMA) enthusiast, was doing play-by-play for a struggling promotion for next to nothing. He was merely a fan, a quasi-popular celebrity, who essentially traded out his talents for the best seat in the house every few weekends.
If UFC Tells Tito Ortiz to Hang Up Gloves After UFC 132, He’ll Call it a Career
It was a dark day for former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz when he walked into the UFC offices after his loss to Matt Hamill in October 2010.
Once known as the most dominant 205-pound fighter on the planet, Ortiz was in the midst of a three-fight losing streak, and was without a victory since 2006. While the numbers don’t lie, Ortiz kept every fight close and wasn’t finished in those three recent losses, but still hadn’t found the right formula to win.
Despite his record, however, Ortiz knew that he had fought his heart out and
ProElite Announces Return with MMA Event on Aug. 27 in Hawaii
ProElite, Inc. on Wednesday announced its return to the mixed martial arts arena with an event on Aug. 27 in Hawaii, confirming an initial report by MMAWeekly.com that the promotion would be resurrected.
ProElite will return at the Neal S. Blaisdell Arena in Waikiki on the island of Oahu. The August event is ProElite’s first under the new ownership of Stratus Media Group Inc. The company hasn’t promoted an event since 2008.
Junior dos Santos Leaves Manager Ed Soares
UFC No. 1 heavyweight contender Junior dos Santos announced via Twitter that he is leaving manager Ed Soares.
Dos Santos tweeted: “I am officially under new representation! All sponsorship or press requests, please contact @GuedesGroup she’ll get you to me. Thanks guys”
Soares is one of the most influential managers in the game, managing UFC champions Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo and former champions Lyoto Machida and Antonio Rodrigo Nogeuira.
The news comes just weeks after dos Santos defeated Shane Carwin at UFC 131 to earn a shot at UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.
Soares is one of the best managers in the game today. But he has also come under much criticism.
Ken Shamrock Talks About Modified MMA Match With James Toney
The promotion that will put on the bout has not been named, no venue or location has been announced, and no date has been set ??
In one of the more side show fights coming out of the MMA world right now is Boxing world champion James Toney Vs long faded, ex-UFC star Ken Shamrock. But this is no normal MMA fight, check out the change in rules for this bout.
Following a takedown the fight will be stood up after 30 seconds, regardless of positioning...
UFC on Versus 4 Bout Between Charles Oliveira and Nik Lentz Ruled a No Contest
The Pennsylvania Athletic Commission has overturned Charles Oliveira's victory over Nik Lentz at UFC on Versus 4 and declared the fight a no contest. Oliveira landed a flagrantly illegal knee to Lentz' face while Lentz had one knee on the ground. Referee Chip Snider let the action continue despite the illegal blow and Oliveira quickly submitted the stunnded Lentz.
The UFC declared the bout the Fight of the Night and awarded each fighter a $50,000 bonus.
MMA Weekly got the statement from Greg Sirb, executive director of the PSAC:
"After review of the tape of this contest and after consultation with the referee the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission has ruled that the results of this match will be changed to a no contest.
"This change is a direct result from an accidental kick to the head by Mr. Oliveira to a grounded Mr. Lentz."