UFC 147 keeps Belfort vs. Silva 2, expected to get champ Aldo at date TBA
Although the event has lost its headliner, UFC 147 will soldier on.
At a press conference today in Rio de Janeiro, UFC president Dana White today announced UFC 147 will take place at a date to be determined with a Wanderlei Silva (34-11-1 MMA, 4-6 UFC) vs. Vitor Belfort (21-9 MMA, 10-5 UFC) bout. Additionally featherweight champion Jose Aldo also (21-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) is expected to fight at the event.
A previously announced headliner and rematch between middleweight champion Anderson Silva (31-4 MMA, 14-0 UFC) and challenger Chael Sonnen (27-11-1 MMA, 6-4 UFC) has been moved to July's UFC 148 event, as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported earlier today.
Currently, White said, a date and venue have not been determined for UFC 147, though it'll remain in Brazil.
UFC officials initially announced UFC 147 as taking place June 23 at Joao Havelange Stadium (also known as Engenhao Stadium) in Rio. However, White recently said conflicts with the United Nations' "Rio +20" meeting, which is scheduled for June 20-22 in Rio, could prompt some changes. Instead of the stadium, which could have broken the UFC's all-time attendance record (55,724 attendees at UFC 129), UFC 147 now is searching for a new venue.
Del Rosario vs. Miocic added to UFC 146, main card remains all heavyweights
Next month's UFC 146 event will keep its all-heavyweights pay-per-view main card.
After Gabriel Gonzaga (13-6 MMA, 8-5 UFC) recently took a vacant slot against Roy Nelson (16-7 MMA, 3-3 UFC) on the card, Shane Del Rosario (11-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) was left without an opponent.
However, fellow unbeaten Stipe Miocic (8-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) has stepped in as a replacement, UFC president Dana White today announced via Twitter.
UFC 146 takes place May 26 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. In addition to the PPV main card, which features UFC heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos vs. Frank Mir, FX and Facebook carry the preliminary card.
UFC's Stephan Bonnar bitten by giant camel spider while detained by Bahrain airport security
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight Stephan Bonnar has a big personality, which can sometimes rub people the wrong way.
One such instance occurred last year, when "The American Psycho" got into it publicly with UFC Welterweight Josh Koscheck, regarding Bonnar using Koscheck's likeness on one of his "Trash Talking Kids" t-shirts.
Bonnar appeared on HDNet's "Inside MMA" earlier tonight (Apr. 23, 2012), discussing his recent trip to Bahrain where he, Rich Franklin and Keith Jardine visited with some U.S. troops who were serving overseas. Apparently, Bonnar and his shirts are back in the news, and you'll never guess what kind of trouble his clothing line got him into this time:
"We're getting ready to leave Bahrain, and I get detained at the airport. Jardine and Franklin get on the flight, and they take me in the room. They're asking me all these questions, and they're furious. One guy's comin' in the room and pointin' at me, all furious, like that. And, what I think is that, I had on the 'Young Assassin' shirt, with Melvin Guillard, and there's a guy with a turban with his brains spillin' out. I don't think they liked that too much."
UFC 145: Jones vs. Evans Medical Suspensions
Following this weekend’s UFC 145: Jones vs. Evans event, the Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission passed out suspensions to 20 of the 24 fighters. Three fighters were issued lengthy suspensions, while one was given an indefinite suspension.
Jon Jones: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons
Rashad Evans: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons
Rory MacDonald: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons
Che Mills: Suspended 45 days for precautionary reasons
Ben Rothwell: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons
Brendan Schaub: Suspended 45 days for precautionary reasons
Michael McDonald: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons
Miguel Torres: Suspended 60 days; needs CT scan
Eddie Yagin: Suspended 30 days, including 21 days with no contact
Mark Hominick: Suspended 30 days, including 21 days with no contact
Mark Bocek: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons
Travis Browne: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons
Chad Griggs: Suspended 30 days, including 21 days with no contact
Matt Brown: Suspended 14 days for precautionary reasons
Stephen Thompson: Suspended 14 days for precautionary reasons
Anthony Njokuani: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons
John Makdessi: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons
Mac Danzig: Suspended indefinitely pending results of right-ankle X-ray
Efrain Escudero: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons
Chris Clements: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons
Keith Wisniewski: Suspended 14 days for precautionary reasons
Marcus Brimage: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons
Maximo Blanco: Suspended seven days for precautionary reasons
Jay Hieron headed to Legacy Fighting Championships, debuts July 13 on HDNet
Recent Bellator title challenger Jay Hieron (22-5) is headed to Legacy Fighting Championships.
LFC promoter Mick Maynard today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the fighter – who's also competed with the UFC, Strikeforce, WEC and IFL – has verbally agreed to a three-fight deal with the promotion.
The 35-year-old Hieron is expected to make his promotional debut at Legacy Fighting Championships 12, which airs live on HDNet on July 13.
Legacy Fighting Championships 12, which is also expected to feature Robert Drysdale vs. Isaac "Ike" Villanueva, takes place at Houston's Arena Theater. Hieron's opponent will be finalized in the coming weeks.
K-1 May 27 Card: Badr Hari, Cro Cop, And The 2012 K-1 MAX Grand Prix
More exciting news for Badr Hari fans. As we noted last week, Hari has officially been announced as returning to K-1 this May. Now, we have his fight officially announced. On May 27 in Madrid, Spain, Badr Hari will face Anderson Silva.
Now, before you get too excited, let's be clear that this is, of course, Anderson "Braddock" Silva, highly regarded kickboxing heavyweight. Not UFC Middleweight champion Anderson Silva. Though clearly that would be even more awesome.
Hari vs. Silva is one of four Heavyweight fights on the card. Also included is Daniel Ghita vs. Paul Slowinski, Rico Verhoeven vs. Sergei Lascenko, and the K-1 return of Mirko Cro Cop as he faces Loren Javier Jorge. Winners are expected to move on to the K-1 2012 Grand Prix Final 16.
King Mo Lawal returns to MMA at Invicta Fighting Championships on April 28 in Kansas
SHOWTIME Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) voice Mauro Ranallo, light heavyweight superstar "King Mo" Lawal and women's star Julie "Fireball" Kedzie will call the action cageside at the first-ever Invicta Fighting Championships all-women's professional MMA event, live on InvictaFC.com, from Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kan. on Saturday, April 28.
Ranallo, the lead commentator for Strikeforce on Showtime as well as for Canada's The Score Fighting Series and a former commentator for Japan's Pride Fighting Championships, will serve as the play-by-play announcer during the live stream of the event.
Eddie Yagin Upsets Mark Hominick
The featherweight division was the home for the second fight on the UFC 145 pay per view card. Former title contender, Mark Hominick, was looking to bounce back after getting knocked out in his last fight to Chan Sung Jung in just seven seconds. He was 3-2 in his UFC career, while his opponent, Eddie Yagin, was 0-1 in his UFC career, losing to Junior Assuncao in his debut fight. Yagin came into the fight with a 15-5 record, with his most notable opponent being Rich Clementi back in May 2004.
Teammates fighting? UFC prez says MacDonald just needs to look at GSP's bank account
UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and his training partner, UFC 145 winner and fast-rising prospect Rory MacDonald, both have publicly stated they won't fight each other.
We've heard that credo before, but UFC president Dana White thinks that could easily change in this case.
"I guarantee you if Rory looks looks at GSP's [expletive] bank account, he'll want to beat the [expletive] out of him," White said.
UFC 146 shakeup continues: With Mir moved to main event, Velasquez draws 'Bigfoot'
With Frank Mir pulled from a planned UFC 146 bout with Cain Velasquez (9-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) in favor of a main-event contest with UFC heavyweight champ Junior Dos Santos, Antonio Silva (16-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has now also drawn a new opponent.
Originally expected to face Roy Nelson at the event, "Bigfoot" Silva now takes Mir's original slot against Velasquez.
After refusing to disclose the matchup at Saturday night's UFC 145 post-fight press conference, UFC president Dana White today announced the plans via Twitter.
Nelson is expected to remain on the card, but UFC execs have yet to reveal his new opponent.
Looks like Nelson was just screwing around when he announced he got the fight.
Dana White expresses interest in Bellator's Eddie Alvarez and Hector Lombard
When you're as big and influential as the UFC, simple desire often is the only thing needed to get what you want.
So, take note Bellator fans; the UFC clearly wants two of its rival organization's biggest stars: ex-lightweight champ Eddie Alavarez (23-3 MMA, 7-1 BFC) and current middleweight titleholder Hector Lombard (31-2-1 MMA, 8-0 BFC).
UFC president Dana White suggested the UFC soon will make a play to sign both Bellator veterans.
Both fighters have been with Bellator since its inception in 2009. But as their contracts wind down and Alvarez and Lombard have the option to flirt with other suitors, the lure of the UFC is going to be strong.
Alvarez, who lost his title to Michael Chandler in November, upped his value on Friday by avenging an earlier defeat and making quick work of submission specialist Shinya Aoki in Bellator 66's headliner. After the fight, Alvarez said Bellator CEO and Chairman Bjorn Rebney needed to "show me the money" in a new contract.
The Bellator boss told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Alvarez is "an absolute class act" who's been "a pleasuring work with." So will Rebney, in fact, show him the money?
"I don't think he's left me with a lot of choice, do you?" Rebney said.
Despite previous reports, UFC boss says B.J. Penn looking to fight again
Fear not, B.J. Penn fans: "The Prodigy" may return, after all.
UFC president Dana White on Saturday night revealed he and Penn spoke at this past weekend's UFC on FUEL TV 2 event in Sweden, and the future UFC Hall of Famer said he wants another go in the octagon.
"I heard some [expletive] that he said he was going to retire and all this stuff," White said following Saturday's UFC 145 post-event presser in Atlanta. "I talked to him, and he's like, 'I want to fight again.'"
In October, former UFC champion Penn (16-8-2 MMA, 12-7-2 UFC) suffered a one-sided loss to Nick Diaz, prompting "The Prodigy" to call it quits at the conclusion of the fight.
In the time since, many MMA fans and pundits have speculated on Penn's future, wondering aloud if the fiery competitor is truly ready to walk away at just 33 years old. Penn, who was a guest fighter at UFC on FUEL TV 2, told several media outlets he was still retired and remained happy with his decision. However, it appears he was singing a different tune behind closed doors.
Silva vs. Sonnen II details still in limbo, UFC boss promises answers to come Tuesday
It looks like UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (31-4 MMA, 14-0 UFC) may not get to enjoy home-field advantage after all.
UFC president Dana White revealed continued logistical problems, which may force the rescheduling of UFC 147 in Brazil, might also mean Silva's long-awaited rematch with top contender Chael Sonnen (27-11-1 MMA, 6-4 UFC) will instead take place in North America.
"Yeah, there's stuff going on down there in Brazil, and I'm working on it," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) following Saturday's UFC 145 event at Atlanta's Philips Arena. "We're working on it still at this minute."
Silva vs. Sonnen II was originally expected to headline UFC 147 on June 23 at Rio de Janeiro's Joao Havelange Stadium. However, White recently revealed the company was considering a different date due to the United Nations' "Rio +20" meeting, which is scheduled for June 20-22 in Rio de Janeiro.
UFC 145 bonuses: Rothwell, Browne, Yagin and Hominick earn $65K awards
Ben Rothwell, Travis Browne, Eddie Yagin and Mark Hominick each earned $65,000 bonuses for their performances at tonight's UFC 145 event.
Rothwell earned the night's "Knockout of the Night" bonus, Browne picked up the "Submission of the Night" award, and Yagin and Hominick took home "Fight of the Night" honors.
UFC president Dana White announced the winners following the event.
UFC 145 took place at Atlanta's Phillips Arena. The event's main card aired on pay-per-view, and the prelims aired on FX and streamed on Facebook.
Bones VS Hendo next up
Dana White - "We've told Dan Henderson he's fighting the winner of this fight"
Is this going to be a repeat of Jones/Evans?
Post-fight scuffle mars Andreas Spang's Bellator 66 comeback, disciplinary action likely
Andreas Spang's comeback win over hometown hero Brian Rogers was a thing of beauty.
And then things got real ugly.
For the better part of two rounds, Rogers (9-4 MMA, 2-2 BFC) had his way with the late replacement Spang (8-1 MMA, 1-0 BFC), who filled in for injured Bruno Santos in middleweight-tournament-semifinal action. The bout was part of the MTV2-televised main card of Bellator 66, which took place Friday at Cleveland's I-X Center.
Rogers scored early in the fight with kicks and punches before slipping on a head kick. Spang was able to seize the moment and get his back in the scramble and threaten with a rear-naked-choke submission. But then it was back to punishment mode after the escape, and Rogers resumed peppering Spang with heavy punches to the body and head.
It was more of the same in the second frame. Rogers countered with a big right cross early, caught Spang's kick, and continued his vicious assault. Spang was visibly hurt and wobbly at one point, and Rogers sprung forward throwing wild punches looking for the kill.
It cost him dearly.
Out of nowhere, Spang countered with a left hook that dropped Rogers like a sack of potatoes. One hammerfist later, referee Jerry Poe had seen enough. That was it. Spang had authored one of the best comebacks of the year in MMA and advanced to the middleweight-tournament finals.
"I had a couple rough times," Spang told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "He hits pretty hard. I never felt really worried or in too much of danger. I know he had his way with me a couple times, but I was pretty focused on the win. I came here to win. I caught him with my moneymaker left hook."
Maiquel Falcao (30-4 MMA, 2-0 BFC), who defeated Vyacheslav Vasilevsky (16-2 MMA, 1-1 BFC) by unanimous decision earlier in the evening to secure his own spot in the finals, was brought into the cage to greet Spang for the first time after the fight.
Then all hell broke loose...
UFC 146 is now JDS vs. Mir
Dana white via twitter:
EDIT: I'm not sure if the screen capture showed up the first time I posted it so I uploaded it to photo bucket and posted it as a web image. Let me know if this shows up twice.