Bellator Signs Four Time World Sambo Champ Vitaly Minakov
The heavyweight additions continue for Bellator Fighting Championships as the promotion has added the undefeated Vitaly Minakov to the heavyweight ranks. Minakov joins Bellator fresh off a vicious knockout of Bellator veteran Eddie Sanchez, and is ready to take his talents stateside and compete with the world’s best fighters.
“Becoming a Bellator fighter means that all my hard work in the gym and training has all paid off,” Minakov said. “It means myself and my entire team were working in the right direction, and we did everything right.”
Undefeated at 8-0, the four-time World Sambo Champion boasts an outstanding ground game to complement a striking game that has earned the improving Minakov three knockout wins in his last four victories.
A member of the RusFighters Sports Club headed by Alexei Zhernakov, Minakov is set to make his Bellator debut shortly and already has his sights set on a future Bellator Heavyweight Tournament.
Though sober, Drew Fickett says a loss tonight could result in homelessness
Every fighter carries emotional baggage into the cage. Drew Fickett's, though, could stuff the hull of a 747.
The veteran fighter, who's recently tried to bring stability to his infamously chaotic life, makes his 60th pro appearance at tonight's ShoFIGHT 20 event.
He'll enter the cage with six weeks of sobriety, a new fight team behind him, and the real threat of homelessness if he doesn't get a victory.
"I'm facing pressure in this fight, but I've been through so much in my life recently that honestly, I'm not nervous at all," Fickett told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) earlier this week. "If I don't win this fight, I'm pretty much homeless."
Fickett (42-17) meets jiu-jitsu ace Jonatas Novaes (9-4) tonight in a featured bout at ShoFIGHT 20, which takes place at O'Reilly Family Event Center in Springfield, Mo. The event airs via tape-delayed pay-per-view on July 1, though Canadian fans can watch it live on The Fight Network at 9 p.m. ET (6 p.m. PT).
Chute Boxe Owner Sues Anderson Silva for 'Damage to Reputation'
Anderson Silva's autobiography was supposed to be a landmark in Brazil’s mixed martial arts history but actually, the book has become pain the neck for the Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight champion.
First, The Spider created controversy with an anecdote about returning with a gun to look for former coach Rafael Cordeiro after an earlier argument ended up with Anderson taking a slap in the face.
Then Jose ‘Pele’ Landi-Jons also made strong comments last week when he read a section which accused him of deliberately driving through a puddle to spray road water all over Anderson and his daughter...
Rafael 'Feijao' Cavalcante Tests Positive for Banned Substance Following Mike Kyle Win
Strikeforce light heavyweight Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante tested positive for a banned substance following his win over Mike Kyle last month in San Jose, Calif. The California State Athletic Commission executive officer George Dodd confirmed the news with MMAFighting.com on Friday. Boxing reporter Gabriel Montoya first reported the news on Twitter.
As a result, Cavalcante has been suspended for one year and fined $2,500 by the CSAC.
Dodd refused to disclose which banned substance Cavalcante tested positive for because he was not at his office when contacted by MMAFighting.com. He said the CSAC sent Cavalcante a letter earlier this week informing him of the failed test but they have yet to hear back from him.
Shogun Sets the Record Straight on Refusal of Teixeira Fight
“They offered Glover for us. I talked with my team and we decided that Glover would not be interesting right now. Glover is a top fighter, I know him, I respect him. But he just got into the UFC and he has only one fight in the UFC. He needs to get more fights. I had nothing to gain with that fight.
“We said to the UFC that for now this fight is not interesting to me. After that the UFC offered me Brandon Vera. But the UFC has never thought to cut me nor have I thought to leave the UFC. I’ve never picked my opponents. I’ve fought against the best and I want to keep doing it, to get my chance for the title.
“For sure Glover is a top fighter but today if I beat him then I would gain nothing so we decided to refuse this fight. But in the future, it can happen.”
Anthony "Rumble" Johnson's Next Fight Will Be at 205 Per TFC Promoter
Brian Hemminger @BrianHemminger
On Bloody Elbow Radio today, Titan Fighting Championship Promoter Joe Kelly says Anthony Johnson's next fight will be at 205 pounds
I know some people are skeptical of Twitter sources in the MMA news forum, but I only post news from accounts I know are legit and verified. Articles are usually up hours or days after the news actually happens.
As Hatsu Hioki passed on title shot, UFC on FX 4's Ricardo Lamas happily stepped in
One man passing on a unique opportunity is another man's gain.
For Ricardo Lamas, the chance to add a big-name opponent to his evolving resume was a welcomed idea. It was a no-brainer.
When fellow featherweight Hatsu Hioki opted to pass on a title shot with current champion Jose Aldo in order to continue to hone his skills and gain additional octagon experience, he needed a fallback option for the short term.
Lamas, one of many ascending contenders in a division becoming more robust with each passing event, stepped up to accommodate him.
With no fights booked, Devin Cole wants Josh Barnett in Strikeforce
"I don't understand it. I'm a fighter – I just want a fight."
Devin Cole (20-9-1 MMA, 2-1 SF) is frustrated. The former Strikeforce heavyweight on Friday told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) a contract and scheduling fluke, for lack of a better word, has him stuck in "no man's land" right now.
But if it's at all possible, he'd love to get one more crack in the Strikeforce cage – against Josh Barnett (31-6 MMA, 2-1 SF).
Cole fought in December at "Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal" and picked up a unanimous-decision win over Gabriel Salinas-Jones for his second straight victory in the promotion. But he said because the fight was the last on his deal, and because most of the rest of the Strikeforce heavyweights had already been moved to the UFC, he essentially was left without a home.
UFC Star Frank Mir 'Not Opposed' To Going To The WWE
Former UFC Heavyweight champ Frank Mir took a trip up to Canada to be a celebrity guest at the Thunder Bay Sports Celebrity Dinner along with Olympian cross-country skier Ashleigh McIvor. Mir, who most recently lost in a title shot to champion Junior dos Santos at UFC 146 talked about his future with the Chronicle Journal.
Mir talked about his ambition to do color commentary and fight analysis, which is no surprise to fans who've seen him fill that role on Fuel TV and Versus. But there was a tiny bit of a surprise when he was asked about his possible pro wrestling ambitions:
Cage Warriors 48 adds Hucin-Phillips, Mason-Roberts, Wilkinson-Cohoon
Cage Warriors' middleweight-tournament final has been delayed, but three fights have been added to next month's Cage Warriors 48 event.
Victor Cheng injured his elbow, and his tourney final with Pavel Kusch has been pushed back to Cage Warriors Fight Night 7 on Aug. 30.
But Cage Warriors 48 has added middleweight-tournament semifinals John Phillips (15-5) vs. Faycal Hucin (7-3), welterweights Jack Mason (20-10) vs. Danny Roberts (6-1), and welterweights Aaron Wilkinson (9-5) vs. Leigh Cohoon (8-5).
Cage Warriors 48 takes place July 21 at HMV Forum in London. The event's main card streams live and free on MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) following prelims on Facebook.
Hugo "Wolverine" Viana vs. John "Macapa" Teixeira added to UFC 147 prelims
The first fight between "The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil" eliminated cast members is set for next week's UFC 147 event.
Team Vitor featherweight Hugo "Wolverine" Viana (5-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and John "Macapa" Teixeira (13-0-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC), a counterpart from Team Wanderlei, will clash on the event's preliminary card.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) confirmed the matchup with sources close to the fighters.
Bellator Signs Knockout Artist Paul Daley
Bellator continued its aggressive plunge into the free agent pool, signing UFC and Strikeforce veteran Paul Daley.
The promotion confirmed the addition of the British knockout artist to MMA Fighting on Friday.
Daley will make his organizational debut at Bellator 72 on July 20.
"I’ve been a 'Semtex' fan for years," Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney said in a statement. "He’s an incredibly explosive fighter who is magic to watch inside the cage. So, when the opportunity presented itself to join forces with Paul, it was a simple decision to make. Paul’s one of those fighters I’ve always intentionally stayed home to watch and now I can watch him cageside at Bellator."
Just last week, the 29-year-old Daley had asked for and been granted his release from Strikeforce.
It didn't take him long to find a new home.
K-1 Great Remy Bonjasky Announces His Return From Retirement
Kickboxing great Remy Bonjasky has announced his return to the ring, but it won't be in K-1. The three time K-1 World Grand Prix champion has signed a multi-fight deal with K-1 rival Glory World Series. From the official statement:
I am really excited about GLORY, really enthusiastic about the people behind it and what they are trying to do for the sport. There are new, fresh minds involved and they are looking to take the sport to a new level, to make it bigger than it already is.
I achieved great things in K-1 and now I think the new challenge is GLORY, I think they can make the sport bigger than K-1 did.
Bonjasky retired after the 2009 K-1 Grand Prix due to a recurring eye injury that was threatening to leave him blind. Since that time, there have been rumors of a possible Bonjasky return, but without a big Heavyweight scene due to the demise of K-1, it looked like the retirement would stick. Now, with both K-1 and Glory back in action, Bonjasky has returned.
If GSP Isn’t Healthy, Martin Kampmann Ready for Condit Rematch
The waiting game for a fighter is sometimes the toughest spot in the world to sit in, but Martin Kampmann is completely okay with that right now.
The battle tested welterweight is coming off two hard fought wars in recent months in which he submitted Thiago Alves and then knocked out Jake Ellenberger, putting him in prime position as a top contender in the welterweight division.
Bellator 71's Brett Rogers says house fire sparked rift with opponent Kevin Asplund
Rogers (11-4 MMA, 0-0 BFC) makes his Bellator debut next week at Bellator 71, and the fight comes against a former friend and training partner in Kevin Asplund (15-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC). In fact, Rogers' story about just how the friends became ex-friends would seem to be part of that hell he said he's been through.
Rogers believes Asplund's wife, a friend of his own wife, may have been responsible for a fire at his house. And after a series of events and questions and blame-searching, Rogers said that essentially was the end of his friendship with Asplund. And that caused a little ruckus in the pair's inner circle of friends, as well.