Mike Dolce hits back at Firas Zahabi's claims that Johny Hendricks, not Nick Diaz, is the number 1 contender at Welterweight
The whole article is worth a read but - Mike Dolce disagrees with Firas Zahabi's opinion on Nick Diaz as the top welterweight contender.
"I'm looking at Nick's record right now," he said. "He beat K.J. Noons, a 155-pounder; Evangelista 'Cyborg' (Santos), and who is he? Then Paul Daley – all right, Paul Daley's tough. Then B.J. Penn, a very uninspired B.J. Penn, who's a lightweight. He beat two lightweights, one very fringe welterweight, and Paul Daley."
Cesar Gracie says Anderson Silva camp ‘into’ Nick Diaz superfight, talks battles with NSAC and Melendez dropping to 145
More so than most trainers, Cesar Gracie has a penchant for making headlines. The acclaimed Californian, head coach of Pleasant Hill's Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu fight team, carries with him a brash style that fits right along with his stable of fighters, infamously including both Nick and Nate Diaz, and past or present Strikeforce titleholders Jake Shields and Gilbert Melendez.
On what fight interests Nick Diaz the most:
"We're pushing for the GSP fight. That's what we're going to push for, GSP or Anderson Silva. That's the two fights that interest us the most, and that's the one's we're going for.
Josh Barnett meets Nandor Guelmino at Strikeforce in January
The Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix finalist will meet Nandor Guelmino on the promotion's Jan. 12 event, which is expected to be its swan song. MMA Fighting confirmed the booking with sources close to the event after MMA Junkie first reported it.
The relatively-unknown Guelmino (11-3) will be making his Strikeforce debut. Guelmino, born in Vienna, Austria, has won his last seven fights in a row.
Ronda Rousey: I have sex as much as possible pre fight
UFC women's Bantamweight Champion Ronda Rousey appeared recently on the JIM Rome show, and discussed the "women weaken legs" rule in fighting.
“For girls it raises your testosterone," explained Rousey. "so I try to have as much sex as possible before I fight actually. Not with like everybody, I don’t put out like a Craigslist ad or anything, but if I got a steady I’m going to be like ‘yo, fight time’s coming up’."
There are limits however.
“You can’t (beep beep) somebody and go fight that day," said Rousey with a laugh.
She concluded by citing studies done that show that male fighters who abstain for months before a fight can actually suffer decreased performance (in fighting).
UFC 154 pulls estimated 700,000 PPV buys for Georges St. Pierre's return
Early estimates for UFC 154 show the event doing 700,000 PPV buys as Georges St. Pierre returned to the Octagon.
UFC 154 featured the return to the UFC of Georges St. Pierre as he defended his welterweight title against interim champion Carlos Condit. Not only did the fight turn out to be exciting with a tremendous atmosphere, but the early estimates for PPV business are very solid.
Via the Wrestling Observer newsletter (subscription required):
"Preliminary estimates for UFC 154 were 680,000 to 700,000 buys, with huge numbers in Canada, really strong in places like Saskatoon and Edmonton. It's in line or just below the Jon Jones vs. Rashad Evans numbers from earlier this year, so probably third for the year overall. It's lower than what GSP has been doing the last few years, but overall business is down from 2010 and Carlos Condit isn't in the league with Dan Hardy and Josh Koscheck when it came to building a grudge and marketing a fight, not that he did badly. Plus, the pub wasn't there. With Hardy, his Countdown shows on Spike were a lot bigger deal. With Koscheck, you had the entire season of TUF building the fight."
Mike Dolce: 'Chael Sonnen is 240 lbs and ripped'
Mike Dolce is known as the guy who helps guys with their diets in MMA. Generally The Dolce Diet allows them to drop a weight class or aid in their weight cut, but his nutritional plans can also help guys get bigger in some cases. Such as the case of a former middleweight who is now getting a shot at the UFC light heavyweight title - Chael Sonnen.
Still No Decision On Which Night the New Ultimate Fighter Will Air on FX
The next season of the Ultimate Fighter on FX will be moving away from Friday nights, but where it will end up remains a mystery.
There was speculation recently that the show would air on Wednesday nights, but just hours after the news was leaked, both UFC President Dana White and FX executives shot down the idea and said no decision had been made.
Now with the new season of the show weeks into production with an expected debut in January, the UFC and FX appear no closer to announcing what night the show will appear on.
“We’re still working on it,” UFC President Dana White said on Tuesday. “We’re working on that with the guys at FX. As soon as it’s ready we’ll announce it. We’re not ready yet.”
Buchinger replaces Alers, meets McGregor in Cage Warriors 51 title fight
Cage Warriors featherweight champion Conor McGregor (11-2) will have to wait a while longer to meet rival Jim Alers (9-1).
The fighters were set to headline the year-end Cage Warriors 51 event, but Alers was forced off the card with a hand injury.
Stepping into his place and the lightweight title fight is fast-rising Slovakian fighter Ivan Buchinger (21-3), officials today announced.
Cage Warriors 51 takes place Dec. 31 at The Helix in the Irish capital of Dublin. The event's main card streams live on MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) following Facebook prelims.
GSP trainer Firas Zahabi: Nick Diaz is No. 1 welterweight contender
Tristar head trainer Firas Zahabi on Tuesday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Georges St-Pierre dropped by his gym this past week to wish teammates well and get in a quick workout.
A conversation with the UFC welterweight champ about his future has yet to take place.
Zahabi, however, said that if St-Pierre decides for now to stay in his native division, he believes Nick Diaz should be considered the No. 1 contender.
Johny Hendricks is also deserving of a title shot, he said, but lacks the resume to be the next challenger.
"I think Diaz is the guy who deserves it most," Zahabi said. "His fight with Carlos (Condit) was so close. Who knows? People judge it both ways.
"[Diaz is] the guy who is the Strikeforce champion. He climbed up the ladder all the way. Johny deserves it very much, but Diaz has been there longer and done more fights and has bigger wins.
"If you want to be really fair about it, he is the guy who beat the most amount of names in the biggest fights."
ONE FC, Glory forge fighter sharing partnership
ONE Fighting Championship, Singapore's burgeoning MMA organization, and kickboxing supergiant Glory Sports International have inked an exclusive partnership that will allow Glory entry into the ONE FC Network, a fighter sharing program encompassing the most prominent gyms and organizations in Asia.
Fighters in both Glory and ONE FC will now be able to fight in either promotion, as well as the laundry of existing partners which includes Japan's DREAM, Thailand's DARE, Philippines' URCC, Korea's Road FC and Australia's CFC...
Top Brazilian Prospect Bruno Carvalho Signs with Bellator
Top Brazilian lightweight prospect Bruno Carvalho has signed a multi-fight deal with Bellator Fighting Championships and will begin competing there in 2013.
The promotion announced the new deal on Tuesday.
A striker with big knockout power, Carvalho has been targeting a move to a major promotion over the last few months, and now he’ll have his chance as part of Bellator as they head to Spike TV in 2013.
Matt Riddle vs. Che Mills Rumored For UFC on FUEL TV 7 In London
News broke this afternoon that the Ultimate Fighting Championship would be returning to the United Kingdom this coming February with UFC on FUEL TV 7 and now the event may have it’s first event, pitting Matt ‘Deep Waters’ Riddle (7-3, 1NC) and English fighter ‘Beautiful’ Che Mills (15-5, 1NC) against one another.
News of the Riddle vs. Mills bout was posted by Fighters Only, who noted that the “fight was being lined up for the London show.”
UFC on FUEL TV 7 is expected to take place on February 16, 2013 at the Wembley Arena in London, England. The bout between Riddle and Mills should be featured on the main card, possibly even the co-main event.
UFC's Michael McDonald eyes January return, open to interim title shot
When bantamweight contender Michael McDonald (15-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) heard UFC President Dana White was considering him for a potential shot at interim champ Renan Barao (29-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC), the 21-year-old Californian didn't react exactly as you might think.
"It was a very anticlimactic reaction," McDonald admitted to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I looked at it, and I thought, 'Oh, that's cool,' and I exited out.
"I really stand by what I've said in previous interviews: I feel right now that I'm ready to fight anybody in the world. I really will accept whoever they put in front of me, no matter who it is. I feel like I'm ready, skill-wise, to take on anybody they put in front of me, and if that's who they're talking about, then that's cool."
FOX EXEC HOPES SUPER BOWL XLVIII AND UFC DOVETAIL IN 2014
A weekend traditionally targeted by the UFC to piggyback on the Super Bowl may not host a pay-per-view, if broadcast partner FOX has its say.
FOX President Eric Shanks said that the network would "love" to see a UFC on FOX event held in conjunction with Super Bowl XLVIII, which is set for Feb. 2, 2014, at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.
"We think that Super Bowl week in New York is going to be unlike anything else, and … we're going to own that week of sports television," he said. "There's nothing better than we can think of than a big fight that week."
Shanks said he is working to convince UFC executives Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta to make the idea a reality. He joked that FOX wanted an outdoor stadium show in the chilly East Coast weather.