Anderson: "A Lot of People Thought I Was Gay"
“A lot of people thought I was gay,” Anderson Silva admits.
It has been observed numerous times over the years that the middleweight champion has an unusually high-pitched voice for such an alpha male and Silva says that when he was a teenager, more than one person thought he was gay.
That probably wasn’t helped by the fact that until around the age of 14 he thought it was “normal” to allow his sister to dress him up with girl’s clothes and play with dolls...
USA TODAY: Frankie Edgar replaces Erik Koch, meets champ Jose Aldo at UFC 153
(This story appeared in Friday's edition of USA TODAY.)
Despite a pair of disappointing losses to current UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson, former titleholder Frankie Edgar (14-3-1 MMA, 9-3-1 UFC) will now get his shot at history.
USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) have learned that an undisclosed injury has forced Erik Koch (13-1, 2-0) to withdraw from a planned UFC 153 title fight with current featherweight champion Jose Aldo (21-1, 3-0), and Edgar has agreed to step into the evening's main event.
Edgar now looks to join UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture and Hawaiian superstar B.J. Penn as the only men to hold UFC championships in two different weight classes.
UFC on FOX 5 adds Dennis Siver vs. Eddie Yagin, Mike Chiesa vs. Rafaello Oliveira
A featherweight bout intended for the canceled UFC 151 card will instead take place at UFC on FOX 5, as Dennis Siver (20-8 MMA, 9-5 UFC) meets Eddie Yagin (16-5-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC).
Additionally, "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" winner Mike Chiesa (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) meets Rafaello Oliveira (15-5 MMA, 2-4 UFC) in a lightweight contest.
UFC officials today announced the two new contests, as well as confirming the John Albert (7-3 MMA, 1-2 UFC) vs. Scott Jorgensen (13-6 MMA, 2-2 UFC) bantamweight fight reported earlier today by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). All three bouts are expected to take place on the evening's preliminary card.
Was Miguel Torres second UFC firing also rape joke related?
Well this is just friggin’ unbelievable. If a new report from Dave Meltzer at Wrestling Observer is accurate, Miguel Torres‘s recent UFC re-firing wasn’t due to his knockout loss to Michael McDonald earlier this year. Allegedly, it was due to the same lapse in judgement/humor/decency that got him fired the first time. As Meltzer writes:
The cutting of Miguel Torres was disciplinary in nature although it was not said what the cause was, only that he was cut. His record wasn’t bad, with a knockout loss to Michael McDonald who is going to be a top star (provided his hands don’t keep betraying him as he’s already broken them a couple of times) and a close loss to Demetrious Johnson, both top guys. He made the r*** joke on twitter and was fired, then brought back, and apparently he made some sort of a similar mistake.
Jorge Gurgel vs. Mizuto Hirota added to 'Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Healy' lineup
A lightweight matchup between Jorge Gurgel (14-8 MMA, 2-3 SF) and Mizuto Hirota (14-5-1 MMA, 0-1 SF) is the ninth official bout for next month's "Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Healy" card.
Strikeforce officials today announced the new contest, which is slated for the evening's preliminary card.
"Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Healy" takes place Sept. 29 at Power Balance Pavilion in Sacramento, Calif., and lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez meets Pat Healy in the headliner.
Scott Jorgensen vs. John Albert slated for UFC on FOX 5
A bantamweight bout between Scott Jorgensen (13-6 MMA, 2-2 UFC) and John "Prince" Albert (7-3 MMA, 1-2 UFC) is the latest addition to December's UFC on FOX 5 fight card.
Sources close to the event today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that verbal agreements are in place for the fight.
UFC on FOX 5 takes place Dec. 8 at KeyArena in Seattle. The main card airs on FOX following prelims on FUEL TV.
Jorgensen vs. Albert is slated for the prelims.
UFC to launch Japan Event Series in 2013
Japan will host a smaller UFC event series in 2013.
The series likely will include four shows in 2013, Mark Fischer, executive vice president and managing director of the UFC's Asian Operations division, told Nikkan Sports.
The shows are targeted for smaller 5,000-seat arenas and won't use the UFC's traditional event numbering.
Instead, they'll likely use specialized numbering similar to what's used with the UFC on FX and UFC on FUEL TV event series.
The shows will be geared around Japanese talent, specifically top prospects who work their way up the UFC ladder by first fighting in their home country. No broadcast plans have been finalized for the events.
JMMA never die!!! This may be the shot in the arm the market needs.
'The Ultimate Fighter 16' cast unveiled with 32 UFC welterweight hopefuls
The official list of "TUF 16" fighters includes:
Sam Alvey (19-4), 26, Murrieta, Calif.
Igor Araujo (22-6), 31, Albuquerque, N.M. (via Patos De Minas, Brazil)
Saad Awad (11-4), 23, San Bernardino, Calif.
Jesse Barrett (8-0), 26, Tempe, Ariz.
Diego Bautista (7-1), 26, Lakewood, Calif.
Frank Camacho (10-2), 23, Camp Springs, Md.
James Chaney (7-2), 25, Klamath Falls, Ore.
Jerel Clark (5-1), 23, Reno, Nev.
Cortez Coleman (8-3), 30, Hugo, Okla.
Cameron Diffley (3-0), 27, Las Vegas, Nev.
Eddy Ellis (17-15-1), 29, Olympia, Wash.
Max Griffin (4-1), 26, Sacramento, Calif.
Nic Herron-Webb (11-3), 22, Anchorage, Alaska
Michael Hill (4-0), 25, Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Zane Kamaka (4-0), 23, Klaianae, Hawaii
Leo Kuntz (14-1-1), 28, Bismarck, N.D.
Julian Lane (4-0), 25, Mansfield, Ohio
Ricky Legere Jr. (14-4), 26, Corona, Calif.
George Lockhart (10-4), 29, Atlanta, Ga.
Lev Magen (4-0), 25, Las Vegas, Nev.
Neil Magny (7-1), 24, Chicago, Ill.
Jon Manley (7-1), 26, Ludlow, Mass.
Bristol Marunde (12-7), 30, Las Vegas, Nev.
David Michaud (4-0), 23, Pine Ridge, S.D.
Kevin Nowaczyk (11-2), 23, Chicago, Ill.
Joey Rivera (7-1), 32, Tucson, Ariz.
Mike Ricci (7-2), 26, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Tim Ruberg (9-1), 30, Harrison, Ohio
Matt Secor (1-1), 25, South Glens Falls, N.Y.
Colton Smith (3-1), 25, Fort Hood, Texas via Ankeny, Iowa
Jason South (8-0), 34, West Jordan, Utah
Dom Waters (4-1), 23, Santa Rosa, Calif.
Jon Jones Asked Dana White To Have Chael Sonnen Stop Calling Him Out
In light of the recent mess that was the cancelation of UFC 151, we still have yet to see the end of the aftermath. Not too many people came out of this looking great, except maybe Chael Sonnen, the unlikely "hero" in this story. Some people have come out of this cast in very deprecatory ways, few more than UFC light heavyweight champion, Jon Jones. In a recent article from The Wrestling Observer (Subscription required), there's yet another piece of information that will add fuel to the Jon Jones fire:
Jones was very upset after Chael began calling him out and mocking him on Twitter, going as far as to contact White and ask him to tell Chael to stop
Even if you're an avid Jones supporter, it's hard to cast this in a positive light. Sure, it may not always be fun to be the butt of ten thousand Chael Sonnen jokes, but that's not something you can just ask Dana White to stop. It just seems childish for a professional athlete to respond so oddly to a little bit of heat from a possible competitor.
Also from the article, we see more of Jones, as his recent appearance on a radio show is analyzed, and what Jon said makes him look like a hypocrite:
UFC on FUEL TV 5 main card set for Nottingham event
The full UFC on FUEL TV 5 card includes:
MAIN CARD (FUEL TV, 4 p.m. ET)
-Stipe Miocic vs. Stefan Struve
-Dan Hardy vs. Amir Sadollah
-Yves Jabouin vs. Brad Pickett
-Paul Sass vs. Matt Wiman
-John Hathaway vs. John Maguire
-Duane Ludwig vs. Che Mills
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 1 p.m. ET)
-Kyle Kingsbury vs. Jimi Manuwa
-Akira Corassani vs. Andy Ogle
-Brad Tavares vs. Tom Watson
-Pascal Krauss vs. Gunnar Nelson
-Robert Peralta vs. Jason Young
-Jorgen Kruth vs. Fabio Maldonado
Stephen Thompson vs. Besam Yousef added to Montreal's UFC 154 in November
UFC 154 got some welcome news on Tuesday when Georges St-Pierre said he's been medically cleared to fight in November.
Then the card got a new fight added to the lineup. A welterweight bout between Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson (6-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) and Besam Yousef (6-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) now is set for the show. The fight was announced on Tuesday's edition of "UFC Tonight" on FUEL TV.
California State Athletic Commission Now Says Strikeforce Drug Test Results Pending
Aug 27, 2012 - Early Monday afternoon, the California state athletic commission (CSAC) notified the media and Strikeforce parent company Zuffa that drug testing for the recent Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman event was invalid, the result, they told UFC vice president of regulatory affairs Marc Ratner, of an issue relating to chain of custody or the way the samples were collected.
About three hours later, the commission has corrected itself, saying the previously released information was erroneous.
In an email sent to the media, CSAC's interim executive director Kathi Burns wrote: "The results of the drug testing for the August 18, 2012 Strikeforce event will be provided later this week or early next week. I spoke with the lab just a few moments ago and found that a delay in processing the results has occurred due to a simple, but correctable clerical error."
UG explodes after Dana White asks for feedback on Fedor vs. Brock fight
A UGer recently posted a hopeful message to UFC President Dana White about making a monumentally theoretical fight between Brock Lesnar and Fedor.
Can Dana sign Brock vs. Fedor?
Member Since: 10/30/03
Brock is a warrior and would be a HUGE favorite. I know he would come back for this fight.
Fedor loves his freak show fights and would have a dominant punching edge.
Brock vs. Fedor would destroy all PPV #'s past and present.
Can Dana make the biggest fight in UFC history happen? This card could also feature GSP's return, and the first girl fight. Rousey v Carano?
From: dfw jr
Member Since: 1/1/01
Is this the fight u guys want to see? Post a thread asking if people want to see this fight.
Alistair Overeem Won't Wait For UFC Title Shot
Alistair Overeem, the former Strikeforce and K-1 champion who's been suspended since failing a pre-fight urine test that forced him out of UFC 146, says he won't wait for a title shot when he returns to the UFC.
The Dutch fighter is busy serving a 9-month suspension courtesy of the Nevada State Athletic Commission until December 29, 2012. His manager Glenn Robinson of Authentic Sports Management was on MMA Weekly Radio and shared some info about Overeem's return including the fact that Overeem has been in Florida training at the Blackzillians camp as if he had a fight scheduled..
World Series of Fighting to Debut in November; Possible NBC Sports Network Deal in Works
The organization was recently granted a promoter's license by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, paving the way for its first event later this year. Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer confirmed the news with MMAFighting.com on Tuesday. MMAWeekly.com first reported the news.
According to Kizer, the promotion has requested to hold its first event on Nov. 3 at the Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino in Las Vegas. Kizer forwarded the official request written by WSOF official Keith Evans to MMAFighting.com and in it he states that the card will air on NBC Sports Network, formerly known as Versus. MMAFighting.com has confirmed with another WSOF official that the event will air on NBC Sports Network, however, attempts to confirm the news with the cable channel have thus far been unsuccessful.
No fights have been officially announced for the debut card just yet. According to the organization's Web site, familiar names such as Roger Huerta, Rolles Gracie, Thales Leites and Gilbert Yvel are on its roster...
UFC champ Georges St-Pierre medically cleared, on schedule for UFC 154
UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) just made one significant step back to the cage.
The fighter, who's been on the sidelines for 16 months due to a knee injury, today announced he's been medically cleared to resume normal MMA activities.
That should open the door for his planned UFC 154 pay-per-view headliner with interim titleholder Carlos Condit (28-5 MMA, 5-1 UFC) this fall.
"I'm now medically cleared to compete in professional mixed martial arts events," St-Pierre today tweeted. "Rendez-vous le 17 novembre."